Robbie Neilson Tactics

Walter Bishop

Naisys Tackle
2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Yep, pretty obvious you need the breaks when you play Rangers/Celtic.

The teams with best players tend to win the most trophies, it isn't rocket science.

All the geniuses on here who reckon differently are either deliberately stirring things up or live on planet FIFA.

As said before, we have better players than Hibs.  It was predictable we would start fast and defend as it got us through the last round against ten men, fair enough.

Today against them, our second half was criminal.  That's not even mentioning extra time.

Our plan was to score early and defend deep.  When that doesn't happen it's play for 75 minutes for penalties.  It's not good enough.  

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Malinga the Swinga

• Bazzas right boot

Thought we were going to play the day but no. Defensive negative performance and they were there for the taking 

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It has been mentioned by quite a few folk, but that's the damning statistic that should be held up to all those who are excusing today's performance. Even against a better team, as Rangers undoubtedly are, we should have done better than that. We hardly troubled them, especially once they found their feet.

We did extremely little to really hurt them today. 

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Right  up there with 1976 & 1996. 

Was there in 76 but don’t remember it, 96 was awful no doubt about that. 

19 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

The post said, we never had a shot. The words 'on target' were not present. Try again.

If you're happy with 4 shots off target in a major final you crack on swinga 

maroonedinbriz
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Was there in 76 but don’t remember it, 96 was awful no doubt about that. 

86 was pretty sh*te too.

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

This is how I see it too. 

We were comfortable against them and we looked OK etc but we never did enough to cause them problems and when they scored, we crumbled like a team that knew they wouldn't win. 

To watch them come out for the second half of ET with shoulders slumped instead of being right let’s go for it doesn’t say much for them or the manager. 

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, maroonedinbriz said:

86 was pretty sh*te too.

League cup final against St Mirren was worse.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, maroonedinbriz said:

86 was pretty sh*te too.

Yeah it was, the week before worse obviously. 2006 wasn’t the greatest and 2016 the worst, can’t wait for 2026 🤦🏽

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

No it wasn’t, at least we fought in that game, didn’t just sit back and wait for the inevitable. 

Paul Shark

With the exceptions of maybe swapping Sibbick for Cochrane and playing Kingsley at left wing back and chancing Smith at right wing back, and that would have been brave given his performance last week, I'm not sure what else he could have done with the players at his disposal today. I thought he got it spot on today and if Barry Mackay had turned up, who knows, we might have sneaked it in 90 mins.

I think Neilson deserves a huge amount of credit for coaching a team containing Cochrane, Atkinson, Haring and Devlin so well, they held out for a draw in 90 mins. 

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

If you're happy with 4 shots off target in a major final you crack on swinga 

Who said I was happy. We lost final. I'm certainly not happy about that.

Don't care about stats, just wanted to win.

I do realise that Rangers/Sevco are a decent team and barely lose to Scottish teams. That is because they sign a quality of player we can't afford, they can't afford it either which is different story, and they sign a load of them.

If you think it's as simple as 'Have a go', fair enough. I don't.

Greedy Jambo

Another masterclass from Robbie 'Console version of football manager' Neilson.

Pick a formation, hope for the best. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

No it wasn’t, at least we fought in that game, didn’t just sit back and wait for the inevitable. 

You are re-writing history.

Against a shocking St Mirren team, we fell apart after 20 minutes and scored near end. 

We didn't fight, we were dreadful, both on and off park where our manager was out thought by Danny ****ing Lennon.

If you believe that was better than today, then you're at it. In fact, I know you are.

Scott Leitch

Let's be honest. He's a limited manager and a coward. Never even attempted to lay a glove on them.

I fully expect the trolls like the wallyford hard man... To continue to troll but the sensible ones know he's hopeless. 

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, HeartsSpares said:

Neilson out. Ive had enough of him

I mean it isn't even subtle. 

1 minute ago, Frank Sidebottom said:

If that’s how we approach Europe next season we will get pumped on a regular basis. 

Still money in the bag though thanks to this season.

merseyjambo

It seem that there are still a lot on here who refuse to allow the manager to be criticised.

No one is denying we have had a great season. No one is denying it has exceeded a lot of peoples expectations. No one is denying what we have achieved this season.

The fans who think RN is a fantastic manager, that’s fine. He gets praise when he deserves it and he has for this season.

However when he gets it wrong, he has to take the criticism in the same was he take the praise, and no matter what anyone says, the stats show that McLaughlin didn’t have a save to make. In 120 minutes of football, that is really really poor.

13 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It was. Today continued my run of never seeing hearts win at hampden from "the celtic end" of the dump. 

51 minutes ago, redjambo said:

String a line of defence along the back, force them wide, mop up crosses, draw them out and beat them on the counter.

Gordon for some reason (tactical?) didn't release the ball early to allow a counter, especially in the first half. Atkinson could've broke a few times in the first half as he was in space down the right but instead we wait until Rangers get back into position then hoof it up the park towards Simms.

There just wasn't much of urgency about Hearts today and after the first half, we were just letting Rangers come at us and to try again. Ball retention was poor and we very much looked like the team that played 120 mins on Wednesday night in the heat.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
14 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Some slavering on this thread.

is this a commentary of what you’re up to tonight frank ?

Really disappointed in how meek and timid we were today. First half was ok, and in spells we looked decent, but second half onwards was terrible. We are a team with no pace, little creativity, and today we lacked fight from too many. Tactically we looked ok first half but Rangers quickly figured us out and overran us on the wings after half time. Felt we should have changed system after an hour to give the full backs more protection and give us more width going forward. Plenty options on the bench to do so.

Losing I can take, but going down without a fight is something else.

A lot of work needing done in the summer to sort the squad out.

There's no arguing that we carried no threat whatsoever today - but I really don't think that's down to tactics. It think that fundamentally we lack quality in the forward areas. I've been going on about it all season. McKay is a very creative player and has improved us a lot, but he's never going to be a prolific goalscorer. The bottom line is there's no Colin Cameron or Rudi Skacel in that side - and no attacking player even close to that sort of quality.

11 minutes ago, Paul Shark said:

With the exceptions of maybe swapping Sibbick for Cochrane and playing Kingsley at left wing back and chancing Smith at right wing back, and that would have been brave given his performance last week, I'm not sure what else he could have done with the players at his disposal today. I thought he got it spot on today and if Barry Mackay had turned up, who knows, we might have sneaked it in 90 mins.

I think Neilson deserves a huge amount of credit for coaching a team containing Cochrane, Atkinson, Haring and Devlin so well, they held out for a draw in 90 mins. 

Couldn’t agree more. Those who think otherwise are living in a fantasy world. Rangers players get paid well ahead of what we can afford and it’s reflected in the quality of their players. Getting beat in a final is disappointing but the warning signs were there last Saturday when Rangers second eleven overran us. Not much Robbie can do in the circumstances. If we had pressed up the pitch in the 90 minutes we would have been thrashed.

frankblack
3 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

is this a commentary of what you’re up to tonight frank ?

Nope just pointing out the complete losers stinking out the Neilson Out threads.

Were you on there embarassing yourself?

Bull's-eye
5 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

It seem that there are still a lot on here who refuse to allow the manager to be criticised.

No one is denying we have had a great season. No one is denying it has exceeded a lot of peoples expectations. No one is denying what we have achieved this season.

The fans who think RN is a fantastic manager, that’s fine. He gets praise when he deserves it and he has for this season.

However when he gets it wrong, he has to take the criticism in the same was he take the praise, and no matter what anyone says, the stats show that McLaughlin didn’t have a save to make. In 120 minutes of football, that is really really poor.

How much money has Robbie made the club this season and guaranteed for next.

More than any manager in our history is my guess.

Deserves a payrise and an extended contract.

frankblack
Just now, Bull's-eye said:

:spoton:

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
Just now, frankblack said:

Nope just pointing out the complete losers stinking out the Neilson Out threads.

Were you on there embarassing yourself?

Was just a wee joke frank - tbf I should have added a :)

Keep up the good fight mate  plenty topics to get stuck into

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Bull's-eye said:

:rofl:

frankblack
1 minute ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Was just a wee joke frank - tbf I should have added a :)

Keep up the good fight mate  plenty topics to get stuck into

Its clear the absolute roasters are back embarassing themselves - you included.

Just waiting for that defeat but ignoring any positives like 3rd snd Europe.

Any sane person would think you are off your rocker.

Edited by frankblack

kingantti1874
9 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

that’s not true at all. We have lots of snakey rat fans who have said nowt for months and crawl out their hole when something negative happens. 

Dougie Masterton
2 hours ago, Bozi said:

Get to feck 

What a surprise the arseholes are out quickly 

Halkett, Souttar, Boyce and Devlin were struggling for fitness, as the game went on their lack of gametime started to show. Boyce going off was a turning point, losing a 2nd so quickly ended it 

Nielson was 30 minutes away from true legend status, take your negativity and ram it

So why play 4 unfit players? 2 maybe, but once again Neilson and his tactics in Glasgow were stinking. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Its clear the absolute roasters are back embarassing themselves - you included.

Just waiting for that defeat but ignoring any positives like 3rd snd Europe.

Any sane person would think you are off your rocker.

scoring high for aggression as usual frank other areas need a bit of work tho - consistency progression ☹️

realise your busy but feel free to highlight any of my these posts of mine that you think I’ve been waiting to make after today’s defeat if you get a minute - shouldn’t take you long to find them by the sounds of it

1 minute ago, Dougie Masterton said:

So why play 4 unfit players? 2 maybe, but once again Neilson and his tactics in Glasgow were stinking. 

If he did that same folk would be out saying should have played them. 

He just can’t win with some fans. 

It was always going to be tough Rangers are a good side. We managed to keep it 0-0 for 90 minutes. We just didn’t have the legs or the squad depth to change it. I cannae fling shit at Neilson for playing the hand available to him. 

They'd have hammered us something rotten in the first half had we come out all gung ho, the game would've been done and dusted by halftime. 

I was disappointed that we chucked it in extra time. We should have changed it in midfield to give us a bit more legs and tried to hold out for penalties and hope for the best.

We didn't have anything on the bench to change it attacking wise. The best we could have done was defend and try to gain some territory up the park from throws and corners, then maybe nick something. 

It wasn't to be, we'll take our licks, dust ourselves down and become a better team next season. 

Malinga the Swinga
10 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

that’s not true at all. We have lots of snakey rat fans who have said nowt for months and crawl out their hole when something negative happens. 

Don't forget the vermin interlopers whose carers let them use internet on weekends.

I thought the tactics were fine. Rangers would have destroyed us if we played an open game. They have a much bigger and better squad than us and that is why they won.

Losing to Sevco in extra time is no disgrace. 
The one area I was disappointed in was our delivery from set pieces. 

frankblack
4 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

scoring high for aggression as usual frank other areas need a bit of work tho - consistency progression ☹️

realise your busy but feel free to highlight any of my these posts of mine that you think I’ve been waiting to make after today’s defeat if you get a minute - shouldn’t take you long to find them by the sounds of it

Speaking to people in Ryries and the view was people like you are unbelievable.  A complete embarrassment.

To hold a grudge as long as you takes Hibs levels of bitterness and desperation.

Generally you seem to need a reality check. 👍

frankblack
1 minute ago, McCrae said:

I thought the tactics were fine. Rangers would have destroyed us if we played an open game. They have a much bigger and better squad than us and that is why they won.

Agree.  Corners were particularly poor and lofted where the keeper will collect every time.

Malinga the Swinga
3 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Yep, agree with this.

Here's to next season and future success.

heartgarfunkel

The preparations, tactics, execution and modification were a total and utter failure.  That was a disgrace, and an embarrassment at best to the reputations of our leaders and tacticians.  An utter capitulation.   James IV did better at Flodden in that he left a name for himself as a foolhardy but immensely brave and bold leader.  That was a load of absalut shitebaggery the day.  Embarrassed at Hearts playing like that in a cup final.

52 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Aye budgets dont come into it right enough.

It’s a cup final? Go out there and try to win the game.  Don’t just sit back against a team that’s played 120 minutes in 30 degree heat 2 days ago.  Pathetic performance and even worse tactics.  

2 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

Boyce going off was a body blow to our game plan. Crucial player for us.

N’ah. How exactly. He was playing as a second right back for the whole second half. In what way does that make him crucial? 

3-4-3 does not work against a team like Rangers or any team that are a level or multiple levels above you. 

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, heartgarfunkel said:

The preparations, tactics, execution and modification were a total and utter failure.  That was a disgrace, and an embarrassment at best to the reputations of our leaders and tacticians.  An utter capitulation.   James IV did better at Flodden in that he left a name for himself as a foolhardy but immensely brave and bold leader.  That was a load of absalut shitebaggery the day.  Embarrassed at Hearts playing like that in a cup final.

Tremendous. I mean it is full of absolute shit, but tremendously entertaining.

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, Badonde said:

It’s a cup final? Go out there and try to win the game.  Don’t just sit back against a team that’s played 120 minutes in 30 degree heat 2 days ago.  Pathetic performance and even worse tactics.  

Are the other team, with their better players, large squad which they used in full and their tactics, not allowed to frustrate us?

4 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Are the other team, with their better players, large squad which they used in full and their tactics, not allowed to frustrate us?

We came out in that second half and it was obvious that the players had been told to sit back