Robbie Neilson Tactics

Walter Bishop

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, PaddysBar said:

Shat it. Again. 

You can get incontinence pants on Amazon mate. You’ll be fine.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• Malinga the Swinga

• Bazzas right boot

5 hours ago, Bozi said:

Get to feck 

What a surprise the arseholes are out quickly 

Halkett, Souttar, Boyce and Devlin were struggling for fitness, as the game went on their lack of gametime started to show. Boyce going off was a turning point, losing a 2nd so quickly ended it 

Nielson was 30 minutes away from true legend status, take your negativity and ram it

What a load of horseshite. 

Zero shots on target tells you all. The fact they looked like winning it in the last 10 of the 90 mins after they went 120 mins in seville tells it all. Shocking tactics and performance. Neilson should have been saying keep it compact until 70 mins and then hit them hard to see how their legs would stand. Unfortunately he played for penalties which is pathetic. Rangers deserved the cup after that. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, theo1874 said:

What a load of horseshite. 

Zero shots on target tells you all. The fact they looked like winning it in the last 10 of the 90 mins after they went 120 mins in seville tells it all. Shocking tactics and performance. Neilson should have been saying keep it compact until 70 mins and then hit them hard to see how their legs would stand. Unfortunately he played for penalties which is pathetic. Rangers deserved the cup after that. 

Did he play for pens?

How do you know - did he tell you?

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, hearts00 said:

I would still not have played 3-4-3 however. Although I suspect the fitness of certain players had something to do with that. 

Tactically it was atrocious when Boyce went off.    It's gutting because the capability of the side was so much better. 

1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Did he play for pens?

Pretty obvious he was the way he set up. Again zero shots on target. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, theo1874 said:

Did he say to anyone he was playing for penalties?

3 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

You can get incontinence pants on Amazon mate. You’ll be fine.

I’ll ignore the childish comment and ask you a question. 

When we were 60 minutes in and Rangers looked totally lost, do you think Neilson went for it when he should have?

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, PaddysBar said:

When we were 60 minutes in and Rangers looked totally lost, do you think Neilson went for it when he should have?

Rangers didn’t look totally lost at any point in the game mate.

Naisys Tackle

When you say “team” you realise both that you are ignoring “squad” and also that the Rangers team wasn’t half fit. They only had to leave out one player after Wednesday. Also Morellos is obviously long term injured. Are you comparing Morellos to Boyce FFS?

Who was half fit in the Huns team?

I’ll tell you who we had who wasn’t fully fit:

Boyce, Devlin, Souttar, Halkett. Doubtful as to full fitness - Kingsley, Halliday, Simms. Key player out - Beni

Please just ponder on that for a bit before you relax your ring piece again

Morellos, McGregor, Roofe, Hellander would have all played if fit.  Ramsay wasn't fit, Barasic wasn't fit, Ryan Jack was carrying a knock.  Their whole midfield was changed from Wednesday and they didn't even play a striker in the whole game.   Devlin or Halliday shouldn't be anywhere near our first team.   The Huns team also played in a final about 60 hours before the game today, we have been on holiday for weeks. 

Calm yourself down with the aggression.  Going radge at anyone that is disappointed at our display the evening we lost a cup final gives a lot of your decent points much merit.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
4 minutes ago, theo1874 said:

Did he tell anyone that shot at goal to miss the target?

Naisys Tackle
4 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Did he say to anyone he was playing for penalties?

No because he wasn't.

We played to press early, nick a goal or two and cling on.  When that didn't happen it was the Craig Levein tactic of shit fest it and try and get a goal from a set piece.   I'm not sure how you can argue against that. 

Just now, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Have a word with yourself, of course not but when you register zero shots on target then clearly the tactics are wrong. He set up letting rangers come on to the team rather than pressing and taking it to them.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, Robbies Tackle said:

Morellos, McGregor, Roofe, Hellander would have all played if fit.  Ramsay wasn't fit, Barasic wasn't fit, Ryan Jack was carrying a knock.  Their whole midfield was changed from Wednesday and they didn't even play a striker in the whole game.   Devlin or Halliday shouldn't be anywhere near our first team.   The Huns team also played in a final about 60 hours before the game today, we have been on holiday for weeks. 

Calm yourself down with the aggression.  Going radge at anyone that is disappointed at our display the evening we lost a cup final gives a lot of your decent points much merit.

Isn’t it just the case that Rangers team and squad is streets ahead of us and we needed to be at full strength and fitness and have a bit of luck to have a chance of winning?

And we weren’t at full strength and fitness and we didn’t get the luck - for example the Simms shot didn’t go off the post.

Isnt it that simple?

Or should we always win against a team that is worth 10 to 20 times the cost of our team?

Struggling to understand where our entitlement to win this game is coming from …

2 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

They absolutely did but Cool mate. You crack on defending our pathetic display and I’ll console myself crying into my beer having just witnessed Hearts not having one shot on target in a Scottish cup final for the first time in our history. 

Naisys Tackle

They were a shambles first 20 mins when we took the game to them.   They looked lost, devoid of ideas and nowhere near sharp.

We obviously couldn't keep the intercity up for a whole 90 mins but there should and could have been a plan b for when we didn't score. 

The second half today as well as our display against the shite when we scored the second was nowhere near the level we could or should have been at.  That's the massively frustrating aspect. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, Robbies Tackle said:

No because he wasn't.

We played to press early, nick a goal or two and cling on.  When that didn't happen it was the Craig Levein tactic of shit fest it and try and get a goal from a set piece.   I'm not sure how you can argue against that. 

Or our not quite fit players got knackered because 4 or 5 of them hadn’t played a full game for 6 weeks plus?

Isn’t that more realistic?

Lone Striker
5 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

Huh ?   Craig Gordon was making save after save in the 2nd half - seems hard to equate that with Rangers looking totally lost.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

They absolutely did but Cool mate. You crack on defending our pathetic display and I’ll console myself crying into my beer having just witnessed Hearts not having one shot on target in a Scottish cup final for the first time in our history. 

They didn’t.

We score with the shot that hits the post it’s a different game but we didn’t.

Shit happens doesn’t it?

Isn’t it just the case that Rangers team and squad is streets ahead of us and we needed to be at full strength and fitness and have a bit of luck to have a chance of winning?

And we weren’t at full strength and fitness and we didn’t get the luck - for example the Simms shot didn’t go off the post.

Isnt it that simple?

Or should we always win against a team that is worth 10 to 20 times the cost of our team?

Struggling to understand where our entitlement to win this game is coming from …

Don't disagree with the fact rangers have a better team in all departments but when you turn up and don't have a go and play for a draw it is a bit concerning that the mentality is to accept that. It's a cup final ffs. Get at them. Sadly our manager shat it with his tactics 

1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

Huh ?   Craig Gordon was making save after save in the 2nd half - seems hard to equate that with Rangers looking totally lost.

I thought they looked tired and out of ideas. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, Lone Striker said:

Thank you. Rangers weren’t close to “lost” in the second half. They managed to step it up. We didn’t because our key players didn’t have the match fitness.

And because we don’t have £30m to spend on players and a squad we couldn’t do much about it to replace them.

Maybe Robbie should have put some of his own money into the team? 

Naisys Tackle

Isnt it that simple?

No, we defeated Celtic and have beaten Rangers sides with just as much of a wide gap.  Hibs won against Rangers at Hampden at they finished what, tenth in the league?

They weren't anywhere near a full team either.  6 changes from Weds.

We don't and won't win the majority of the time against any of the two cheeks.  But the from 35 minutes on wasn't as good as we could and should have been.

There's no entitlement, we on paper should be losing.  But we could have given it a much better shot than today. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
3 minutes ago, theo1874 said:

Don't disagree with the fact rangers have a better team in all departments but when you turn up and don't have a go and play for a draw it is a bit concerning that the mentality is to accept that. It's a cup final ffs. Get at them. Sadly our manager shat it with his tactics 

Who told you we played for a draw?

I tell you we didn’t have the momentum or drive to go all guns blazing because half our team were coming back for injuries. 

So we didn’t play for a draw - we just didn’t have the fitness in the tanks.

So. Who do you believe - your imagination or the facts?

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

2 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

They didn’t.

We score with the shot that hits the post it’s a different game but we didn’t.

Shit happens doesn’t it?

To be honest, the crap stadium that hampden is I didn’t even know we had hit the post I was so far away so I’ll give you that. If it went in it could have been similar to 98 when we basically had three chances and scored two. 

I’m just pissed off we’ve lost four cup finals in a row and I think Robbie played a big part in that today. 

A piss poor performance. 

Naisys Tackle

Or our not quite fit players got knackered because 4 or 5 of them hadn’t played a full game for 6 weeks plus?

Isn’t that more realistic?

It's not as realistic, no because it was exactly similar to our performance in the Semi Final. 

McGlaughlin, Davis, Arfield, Balogun and Diallo are all squad players/subs for them and started.   They missed loads of players today also and none of them could have been 100% fit.  

Who told you we played for a draw?

I tell you we didn’t have the momentum or drive to go all guns blazing because half our team were coming back for injuries. 

So we didn’t play for a draw - we just didn’t have the fitness in the tanks.

So. Who do you believe - your imagination or the facts?

Wtf are you slavering on about. The set up showed we were playing for a draw or to nick it by one goal. Not once in the match were hearts on top dominating and looked to score a couple which all stems from the manager and his tactics. 

You have 5 subs, so bugger all about fitness it is their job at the end of the day. Have a word. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
6 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

No, we defeated Celtic and have beaten Rangers sides with just as much of a wide gap.  Hibs won against Rangers at Hampden at they finished what, tenth in the league?

They weren't anywhere near a full team either.  6 changes from Weds.

We don't and won't win the majority of the time against any of the two cheeks.  But the from 35 minutes on wasn't as good as we could and should have been.

There's no entitlement, we on paper should be losing.  But we could have given it a much better shot than today. 

Rangers not near full team is ****ing a million miles away from us being weakened and not being a full team.

Rangers not at full strength still is a team of internationalists. Us not at full strength has us looking at the bottom of a barrel.

We beat Celtic before Ange had a team or a clue about a Scottish football. You do understand that?

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Lone Striker
4 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

There's no entitlement, we on paper should be losing.  But we could have given it a much better shot than today

I think we can all agree with that sentiment, yes.  👍

Tom Hardy’s Dug

To be honest, the crap stadium that hampden is I didn’t even know we had hit the post I was so far away so I’ll give you that. If it went in it could have been similar to 98 when we basically had three chances and scored two. 

I’m just pissed off we’ve lost four cup finals in a row and I think Robbie played a big part in that today. 

A piss poor performance. 

Robbie played a ****ing massive part in us being in that final - just think about that why don’t you?

Naisys Tackle

Rangers not near full team is ****ing a million miles away from us being weakened and not being a full team.

Rangers not at full strength still is a team of internationalists. Is not at full strength has us looking at the bottom of a barrel.

We beat Celtic before Ange had a team or a clue about a Scottish football. You do understand that?

Ok mate.  It was down to injuries and fitness, nothing about team selection and tactics. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 minutes ago, theo1874 said:

Wtf are you slavering on about. The set up showed we were playing for a draw or to nick it by one goal. Not once in the match were hearts on top dominating and looked to score a couple which all stems from the manager and his tactics. 

You have 5 subs, so bugger all about fitness it is their job at the end of the day. Have a word. 

Sorry - were we playing for a draw or trying to nick a goal?

coherent arguments please - we couldn’t have been doing both…

Robbie played a ****ing massive part in us being in that final - just think about that why don’t you?

Don't disagree that Robbie didn't play a massive part getting us to a SC final. But if you think that performance was acceptable then you really have low expectations of what Hearts should be capable of. You must be a happy clapper? 

edit. I’m out of this conversation. Chats like this is why I asked the mods to delete my account🤣

Edited by PaddysBar

Sorry - were we playing for a draw or trying to nick a goal?

coherent arguments please - we couldn’t have been doing both…

Set up to play for a draw but if we managed to nick a goal then great. That coherent enough 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, theo1874 said:

Don't disagree that Robbie didn't play a massive part getting us to a SC final. But if you think that performance was acceptable then you really have low expectations of what Hearts should be capable of. You must be a happy clapper? 

If all our key players had been fully fit I would agree with you: 

They weren’t 

It was a game too far for us with our current squad.

People like you need to accept that.

On the plus point we will be stronger next season.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, theo1874 said:

Set up to play for a draw but if we managed to nick a goal then great. That coherent enough 

Nope. Still no coherence.

We didn’t look like we were set up to play for a draw in the first 20 mins when we hit the post.

If all our key players had been fully fit I would agree with you: 

They weren’t 

It was a game too far for us with our current squad.

People like you need to accept that.

On the plus point we will be stronger next season.

One off game. Chance to write yourself into hearts history and to go out with a whimper fit or not is shocking. People like you seem to accept shite like that which is why we don't win more. Pathetic attitude, and again rangers went through 120 mins in the baking heat of seville with a depleted squad before taking us on. So fitness has **** all to do with it. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
7 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Ok mate.  It was down to injuries and fitness, nothing about team selection and tactics. 

Ok. I’ll play. Speak to me about team selection first.

Nope. Still no coherence.

We didn’t look like we were set up to play for a draw in the first 20 mins when we hit the post.

Laughable. And what happened after that?

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, theo1874 said:

One off game. Chance to write yourself into hearts history and to go out with a whimper fit or not is shocking. People like you seem to accept shite like that which is why we don't win more. Pathetic attitude, and again rangers went through 120 mins in the baking heat of seville with a depleted squad before taking us on. So fitness has **** all to do with it. 

We didn’t go out with a whimper to be honest did we though.

Unbeaten in 90 minutes and into extra time.

A whimper would have been 2 or 3 nil in 90 minutes no? 

We didn’t go out with a whimper to be honest did we though.

Unbeaten in 90 minutes and into extra time.

A whimper would have been 2 or 3 nil in 90 minutes no? 

But we did. If we actually had a foothold in the game and created chances then I would agree with you. When we lost to celtic in both recent finals we went out with our heads held high. This final was pathetic which is something you cannot defend. Clearly you enjoy watching us be mediocre and just accept shite performances.

38 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Did he play for pens?

It doesn't take much working out

Hearts1975
2 minutes ago, theo1874 said:

But we did. If we actually had a foothold in the game and created chances then I would agree with you. When we lost to celtic in both recent finals we went out with our heads held high. This final was pathetic which is something you cannot defend. Clearly you enjoy watching us be mediocre and just accept shite performances.

We did compete much better in both recent finals and for one reason only 

Today was square pegs in round holes. At the very start of the season our policy was signing quality and over quantity. Basically pay more per player but have less players in line with our budget. Obviously impacted by the fact we just came up from the championship 

Our squad was pretty much on its last legs for this game. There were 5-6 players that you could argue shouldn't have even been playing in that game and we have been trying to get them fit for weeks now 

Why ? Because we never had anyone else who could really come in and do a better job - you just can't replace the likes of Boyce, Devlin, Simms, souttar, Halkett with the likes of Mceneff, GMs, ginnelly. Everyone saw we struggled fitness wise against them today 

A team that just played 120 minutes 3 days ago were fitter than us in all areas - Go figure. 

If there is one lesson we can all take out of today it is that our bench seriously needs to improve and the gap of quality between our 1st team and bench is improved so we can at least bring players off the bench that can change matches rather than weaken our first string 

I'm not trying to argue but just being bluntly honest about the reasons why we lost that game 

raider1874

I like Neilson, he has done well getting us into Europe and cup final but I can't help but think we have benefitted hugely from a very poor league this year especially with massive drop offs from Aberdeen and Hibs. We got 2rd at a canter but can honestly count on one hand the amount of performances I've felt we were very comfortable.

Not saying we would have finished 2nd in the league but we have dropped tonnes of very poor points in the whole. 

Way too defensive for me and definitely a "don't concede" kind of manager.

Bongo 1874
42 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Spot on 👍

6 hours ago, Bozi said:

Get to feck 

What a surprise the arseholes are out quickly 

Halkett, Souttar, Boyce and Devlin were struggling for fitness, as the game went on their lack of gametime started to show. Boyce going off was a turning point, losing a 2nd so quickly ended it 

Nielson was 30 minutes away from true legend status, take your negativity and ram it

Aye very good, 30mins from legend status by never having a shot on goal.

tolcross lad

Just back from Glasgow having missed train and then cancelled so entered spirit of local karaoke

My observations for what they are worth and I am no Neilson fan

This is an exceptionally good Rangers team.you don't get to a UEFA Cup final by being crap.Today they had better quality player's in every position apart from the goal keeper.

Money and class talks whatever the the tactics we use and it was clear today.

Personally Iam like many fans in that  I thought our tactics were really too negative but who knows not me that's for sure.

Given my age mid seventies I dont see too many Cup finals ahead but I enjoyed the company of my family and fellow fans.Moments to be treasured win or lose.

I am a big supporter of FOH and I m certain that the way forward for our club is to support them.We can close the gap.

53 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Who shot at goal? 

47 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

We did compete much better in both recent finals and for one reason only 

Today was square pegs in round holes. At the very start of the season our policy was signing quality and over quantity. Basically pay more per player but have less players in line with our budget. Obviously impacted by the fact we just came up from the championship 

Our squad was pretty much on its last legs for this game. There were 5-6 players that you could argue shouldn't have even been playing in that game and we have been trying to get them fit for weeks now 

Why ? Because we never had anyone else who could really come in and do a better job - you just can't replace the likes of Boyce, Devlin, Simms, souttar, Halkett with the likes of Mceneff, GMs, ginnelly. Everyone saw we struggled fitness wise against them today 

A team that just played 120 minutes 3 days ago were fitter than us in all areas - Go figure. 

If there is one lesson we can all take out of today it is that our bench seriously needs to improve and the gap of quality between our 1st team and bench is improved so we can at least bring players off the bench that can change matches rather than weaken our first string 

I'm not trying to argue but just being bluntly honest about the reasons why we lost that game 

Fair enough. An analysis of what went wrong much better than Tom Hardy’s dug or frank black picking fights left right and centre. 

Rangers are a very good side who came within a bawhair of winning one of the major prizes in club football but, regardless of the fitness levels, that was as poor as we have been all season.

I don’t think anyone in front of Gordon or the back 3 gets pass marks.

I also don’t think that we have been anywhere good enough since beating Hibs. Too many accepted mediocrity in favour of “the bigger picture “ and in the end it came back to bite us in the arse!