Beginning of the end for Twitter?

A Boy Named Crow

Seems the free thinkers of the far right don't like it up them. Who knew. 

I might go on Twitter and give them both barrels. But I'd probably get banned by the freedumb of speechers. You can spread hate speech, as long as it's not against Trump, Musk, West, Robinson, Morgan, and all the other bastions of the anti woke. 

:Aye:They're the biggest pishers of underwear, the world has ever seen. The rage that ensues any criticism of fuhrer of the 4th crusaders, is off the charts. One day it'll come to a head and they'll run, just like they always have. Spineless little weasels, who are brave in a crowd, but when on their own have no control of their inner workings. 

Shitebags! Is what I'm actually saying.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Notts1874

• Mikey1874

• Unknown user

Oh, and here's a classic play out of Trump's playbook. Want to get rich? Just don't pay your rent or your vendors! And stiff your former employees on their severance pay!

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/elon-musk-has-reportedly-stopped-paying-rent-on-twitter-offices-and-told-staff-not-to-pay-vendors-11671019938

29 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

You're free to say anything you want to on Twitter. That is unless Musk disagrees with you. 

Elon "free speech absolutist" Musk 😆 

8 hours ago, Cade said:

He's a petulant child.

The Twitter debacle must be making investors in his other businesses twitchy.

This could all explode in his face.

Tesla currently down over 60% from its peak despite decent annual sales growth.

Musk no longer the world's richest person.

image.png.a011830febaac811a98c99ac1997d490.png

Away from all the politics around it - is it just me that finds it practically unusable in the last week or so? 

I barely see any tweets of people I follow any more. My timeline is full of tweets from people followed by people I follow and 'trending topics' I have no interest in. 

How hard is it to make it just show the tweets from people I follow in chronological order?! That's all I want! 

Dennis Reynolds
50 minutes ago, dtgj said:

Away from all the politics around it - is it just me that finds it practically unusable in the last week or so? 

I barely see any tweets of people I follow any more. My timeline is full of tweets from people followed by people I follow and 'trending topics' I have no interest in. 

How hard is it to make it just show the tweets from people I follow in chronological order?! That's all I want! 

I agree. Some of the functionality has been a bit off the last 48 hours or so for me as well. Have seen my usage go down a bit for a while. Just not as engaging anymore. 

On 13/12/2022 at 12:18, Notts1874 said:

The Cookie Monster has a proper blue tick and I'd take them more seriously than the idiot above. 

Which one?

2 hours ago, dtgj said:

A few weeks ago Musk told a room full of advertisers that the plan was to move ordinary users way down the line in what people see, and to have paid and noteworthy content dominate.

Maybe he should just take the transponder out of his jet? That way nobody would know where he is. Whatever happens to him. 

He is also now blocking links to other social media sites for some journalists. Saying that the link is dangerous!!!! 

43 minutes ago, Smithee said:

A few weeks ago Musk told a room full of advertisers that the plan was to move ordinary users way down the line in what people see, and to have paid and noteworthy content dominate.

Going the way of Facebook IMO. Useless and machine. I understand they need to make money to run the site but it needs to be balanced and Twitter and FB go too far. 

I'm probably going to delete my account. It's a shame because Twitter used to be a good source for news. 

57 minutes ago, Smithee said:

A move that also contributed greatly to the demise of the social media platform Digg.

Musk is getting it all wrong.

dobmisterdobster
3 hours ago, Smithee said:

"Free speech absolutist"

Elon is a childish hypocrite. But so is everybody else in this situation.

11 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Elon is a childish hypocrite. But so is everybody else in this situation.

QslHkoC.gif

It does beg a question though, why did you have a problem with the guy pointing out Elon's childish hypocrisy if you agree with him? That could be interpreted as being a bit, you know...

dobmisterdobster
6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

QslHkoC.gif

It does beg a question though, why did you have a problem with the guy pointing out Elon's childish hypocrisy if you agree with him? That could be interpreted as being a bit, you know...

I only had a problem with these individuals being referred to as journalists.

2 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

I only had a problem with these individuals being referred to as journalists.

Are they not? I don't know them.

36 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Are they not? I don't know them.

No, the only thing that journalists from the mainstream news do is produce fake news, don't ya know (unless of course they write something that Dob and his fellow "free-thinkers" actually agree with). :goofy2:

5 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

"Journalists"

If your implication is that the reporters who were covering Musk's takeover of Twitter for major news outlets do not deserve to be called "journalists" and offered the normal freedom of the press, please specify which ones and why you would exclude them from that category.

reactions on Twitter: "weird nerds jumping in front of elon musk taking a  bullet to protect him from valid criticism the simpsons apu  https://t.co/tztgplJOGz" / Twitter

dobmisterdobster
7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

CNN, Washington Post, New York Times

I rest my case.

Anyway, was banning them justified? I don't think so.

Was it hilariously funny? Absolutely.

jack D and coke
5 hours ago, dtgj said:

Going the way of Facebook IMO. Useless and machine. I understand they need to make money to run the site but it needs to be balanced and Twitter and FB go too far. 

I'm probably going to delete my account. It's a shame because Twitter used to be a good source for news. 

Musk or not it’s the only social media I can be arsed with nowadays. Facebook, insta etc are absolutely ****ing awful with ads and people trying to sell you shit. 
I can’t say I’ve noticed any difference on twitter either I’ll be honest. 
Much ado about nothing. 

Edited by jack D and coke

jack D and coke
On 28/04/2022 at 06:27, JudyJudyJudy said:

He’s completely trolling the “ freedom of speech “ mob ( but only if they agree with what you say like ) 

#teammusk now😀

A very good breakdown (from Josh Marshall, whose site just got fame for the Meadows Texts story) on how and why Elon is being a petty little oligarch.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/in-the-den-of-the-dark-lord-elon-thinskinnious

As for Coca Cola, that's not trolling, that's a good idea. Evo Morales launched a cola in Bolivia that had the original coca extract in it. Nothing wrong with it in low doses, it's a stimulant just like caffeine. Of course Musk was joking but I'd buy it.

35 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

#teammusk now😀

Good on him i say. Hes stirring the shit. Those on the left who used to champion freedom of speech and opinion are , well speechless. 

8 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

A sensible American politician?

You know it isn't free speech if it's only his views that are permitted. He can do as he pleases, but so can everyone else and it'll be an echo chamber, soon enough. People will move on, and hopefully someone starts up a new place to have a conversation.

9 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

A sensible American politician?

The shoe is on the other foot now and the " left" dont like it.  Shame 

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Good on him i say. Hes stirring the shit. Those on the left who used to champion freedom of speech and opinion are , well speechless. 

It's not freedom of speech, is it? 

Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

If it wasn't for the left, you'd still be in a closet. And folk like Musk, West and Trump will put you back in it or worse.

Edited by ri Alban

Just now, ri Alban said:

It's not freedom of speech, is it? 

and it wasnt before, unless you said the " right " speech 

Just now, ri Alban said:

If it wasn't for the left, you'd still be in a closet.

LOL oh god.. Obsessed with my sexuality. Dearie me.  No one helped me out of the closet. In fact I have never been in any closet. If you look at gay rights equality etc its actually been the right which have legislated a lot of the equalities. the gays have now. 

2 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

I rest my case.

Anyway, was banning them justified? I don't think so.

Was it hilariously funny? Absolutely.

:cornette:

1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Ted Lieu is a leftist American politician, so once again you're wrong and poorly informed, but whether he's correct here or not in the legal sense is debatable. While Twitter is a private company, the FTC has long regulated media communications. In this case I think he's right—because of the First Amendment, Congress really can (and probably should) do nothing about who Musk decides to ban.

The right wing critics are extremely bad at this, though, as they always get the First Amendment and the general principle of "free speech" mixed up. The First Amendment constrains Congress specifically and US governments specifically in to how much they can regulate speech.

At the same time, what Musk is doing absolutely violates the principles of free speech and the "public square" he ridiculously claims to be protecting on Twitter. He's making it his own little private fiefdom, which he's financially entitled to do, particularly given the obscene amount of money he's flushed down the toilet to acquire it, but it doesn't remotely match the rhetoric he's espousing.

1 minute ago, Led Tasso said:

He's making it his own little private fiefdom, which he's financially entitled to do

correct and those not happy with it can piss off 

10 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

correct and those not happy with it can piss off 

I would have thought the Alex Jones case would have served as a decent reminder as to the limits of what private media ownership entitles one to do and the dangers of spreading vicious lies, but some folks love to keep digging I guess.

dobmisterdobster
20 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I would have thought the Alex Jones case would have served as a decent reminder as to the limits of what private media ownership entitles one to do and the dangers of spreading vicious lies, but some folks love to keep digging I guess.

He hasn't unbanned Alex Jones and he banned Kanye West for posting a Swastika.

1 minute ago, dobmisterdobster said:

He hasn't unbanned Alex Jones and he banned Kanye West for posting a Swastika.

The point is that Alex Jones had his own media company that he owned and used it to spread lies that destroyed people's lives. Musk is starting to amplify and personally retweet things associated with QAn*n, false accusations of paedophilia against queer people, and other nonsense that has driven multiple mass shootings in our country. I've deleted my Twitter accounts and have little interest in going back, but I'm far more worried about him whipping up violent extremists that he's suddenly decided are kind of cool.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/12/14/qanon-musk-revival-twitter/

image.thumb.png.c4533577f24bf01566426b5f8ca9e646.png

image.thumb.png.27715242677042db8bb83b6a5a5ce87e.png

If Musk were just writing on his own personal blog, it would be perhaps worrying but no more than other far right or conspiracy publications. Him taking over a platform as prominent as Twitter is far more dangerous though.

Twitter condemned by UN and EU over reporters’ ban

The United Nations has joined the European Union in condemning Twitter's decision to suspend some journalists who cover the social media firm.

Reporters for the New York Times, CNN and the Washington Post were among those locked out of their accounts.

The UN tweeted that media freedom is "not a toy" while the EU has threatened Twitter with sanctions.

FULL ARTICLE: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63996061

I'm very much of the generation where social media is an important thing but considering how small the twitter user base is...is this not a wild amount of coverage?