Beginning of the end for Twitter?

A Boy Named Crow

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Reads like things aren't going the way he expected. Shame.

I'm certainly using it less and less. Farage was on my for you page earlier. 

It’s becoming harder and harder to use. The timeline is a really mess and no longer fluent. Realistically, it probably won’t survive Musk’s input or not as it needs to. It’ll become this shambles of a site which fewer and fewer people bother with 

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Notts1874

• Mikey1874

• Unknown user

On 28/03/2023 at 14:13, Dennis Reynolds said:

Reads like things aren't going the way he expected. Shame.

I'm certainly using it less and less. Farage was on my for you page earlier. 

This has already been rolled back and cancelled.

:rofl:

Elon hasn't got a feckin clue what he's doing.

The sooner he fecks off to Mars the better.

Dennis Reynolds
1 hour ago, Cade said:

More U-Turns than the Tory party... 🎣

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I hate the fact that him being rich as **** lets him destroy something which he had nothing to do with creating.

Twitter was far from perfect but it could be a good resource depending on how you used it. Now it’s ****ed 

The Mighty Thor

Space Karen is biding his time until the 24 presidential campaign gets going then we'll see why he shelled out for it

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Space Karen is biding his time until the 24 presidential campaign gets going then we'll see why he shelled out for it

very much this. As if he hasn’t look at Trump and thought ‘me next’

The Mighty Thor
23 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

very much this. As if he hasn’t look at Trump and thought ‘me next’

Oh aye it'll be a free for all for the right wingers and extremists. 

Unknown user
34 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I'm looking forward to Kanye's campaign, we could be in for the most deluded political battle in history!

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

I'm looking forward to Kanye's campaign, we could be in for the most deluded political battle in history!

**** me, imagine that 🤦🏻‍♂️

The Mighty Thor
50 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Trumpf, Kanye, de Santis and no doubt a few other Christian fundamentalist, NRA types and Klan wizards thrown in. 

What a choice to run the  yooessay 🤦‍♂️

Watt-Zeefuik
7 hours ago, Cade said:

Full self-driving mode on the Teslas just needs "one more iteration" before it's ready. Uh huh.

(One more would probably do it if it were to put a freakin' LIDAR back on the roof like his engineers told him to do, but he didn't like that answer so he fired them.)

Watt-Zeefuik

And now an apparently fired engineer has leaked a lot of the source code onto GitHub.

After the rumored panic call by Elon to get someone to make sure his tweets got boosted, he denied anything in the code was like that.

But there it is, right there in the source code. A boolean variable called "Elon," alongside three others, ("Democrat," "Republican," and "Vits" which is apparently "very important tweeter") that goes into the recommender for weighting.

dobmisterdobster
On 29/03/2023 at 19:55, The Mighty Thor said:

Twitter is not nearly as influential as you think

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Twitter is not nearly as influential as you think

True.

Most of the morons use Facebook 

• 2 weeks later...
Watt-Zeefuik

NPR is leaving Twitter because Musk kept labeling them “state supported media,” despite about 1% of their funding coming from government grants.

Journalists have been one crowd that’s seemed reluctant to leave because of how the platform lets them interact with each other openly. NPR isn’t gigantic but it’s not small either. If other journos go, it could be yet another hit to their traffic.

dobmisterdobster

BBC interviewer tries to go for a gotcha moment with Elon and fails miserably in an interview.

Is this the "quality journalism" the license fee pays for?

Watt-Zeefuik
18 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Legacy Blue ticks have started to go.

As some have pointed out, they're flickering off and on through the day. This is what happens when you sack your entire ops department because you don't think they code and therefore aren't real employees.

Dennis Reynolds
43 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

:shockio:

I knew what was coming and I still watched 🥲

Anyway, Hearts have lost their blue tick but Hibs still showing as verified. Musk OUt!!!!1!!

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

I knew what was coming and I still watched 🥲

Anyway, Hearts have lost their blue tick but Hibs still showing as verified. Musk OUt!!!!1!!

Maybe this is why…

Shooter McGavin

The whole verification thing is a shambles 😂

Celebrities and well known figures losing their verification, but average joes with about 13 followers being “verified”, makes absolutely no sense.

8 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

The whole verification thing is a shambles 😂

Celebrities and well known figures losing their verification, but average joes with about 13 followers being “verified”, makes absolutely no sense.

Their approach makes no sense. Monetising it I get as there are clearly millions of idiots who will pay to have the blue tick next to their name. But the whole appeal of that is because it gives these dafties some sense of self worth by them thinking they are then raised up alongside their celebrity heroes. If you then take the ticks away from the celebrities then the whole appeal of a blue tick is diminished and they're now just for the people who fork out for them. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
36 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Their approach makes no sense. Monetising it I get as there are clearly millions of idiots who will pay to have the blue tick next to their name. But the whole appeal of that is because it gives these dafties some sense of self worth by them thinking they are then raised up alongside their celebrity heroes. If you then take the ticks away from the celebrities then the whole appeal of a blue tick is diminished and they're now just for the people who fork out for them. 

I suppose it makes it easier to know who to ignore, now.

dobmisterdobster
On 20/04/2023 at 21:43, Led Tasso said:

image.thumb.png.747e02e0a0365d2d6f2ac66e4dccf519.png

The Space ship stuff is so much more interesting than social media.

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

The Space ship stuff is so much more interesting than social media.

It is, although the more that comes out about that launch, the worse it looks. Apparently SpaceX is getting as bad at engineering as Tesla and Twitter. Musk's engineers told him that they needed cooling trenches and greater structural stabilizers in the launch pad when it was being built. He overrode them. Before the launch Musk said that success would be "the launch pad doesn't get blown up."  Everyone thought he was joking but the launch pad didn't only get blown up, the entire refueling structure is utterly destroyed and rather than just a damaged structure underneath, there's a giant crater. They almost certainly can't even rebuild on the site it's so destroyed.

This is Musk's pattern—overrule and/or the engineers (as he did on removing the LIDAR from Teslas that were supposed to self-drive), push ahead, get lucky with some of those decisions and declare victory, get unlucky with others and destroy things and (in the case of Tesla) get people killed.

The stupid thing about Twitter is that it's the same as Brexit. Everything is proceeding pretty much exactly as people who understood their tech and their model predicted it would. The site is becoming increasingly unstable and unpredictable (because he laid off his ops and maintenance staff, which is free in the short term and incredibly expensive in the long term), the site is getting overrun by fake accounts and trolls (because he fired the entire safety staff), and people are quitting the platform because they're seeing stuff they hate promoted into their feed (all in the name of removing "wokeness" from the site).  I'm on Mastodon now but with Dorsey launching Bluesky it looks very much like Twitter is rapidly headed down the road that MySpace, Yahoo!, and AOL long ago went down.

I'm not a rocket engineer so I don't know how much this parallels with what SpaceX is doing, but from the outside it looks like he might kill three companies at the same time with his reckless engineering decision.

periodictabledancer
On 21/04/2023 at 08:53, Sooperstar said:

We've now got the crazy situation where various celebs have blue ticks and are getting abuse on line for "selling out" even though they don't pay for them and fully expected it to be removed. 

The blue tick charge relates to the fact it's very difficult for Twitter to compete with Facebook when it comes to advertising revenues because the average Twitter user is only online for circa 10 minutes (at a time ? *) while FB is WAY more. It's one of the few sure fire ways to raise money.

* Based on an article I read from an ex VP of Twitter (English guy whose name escapes me). He claimed Musk has sacked 80% of all employees and the platform is heading for meltdown and that Musk's aims for increasing ad revenues are basically pie in the sky - just look at the number of CEOs over the last 5-6 years. 

dobmisterdobster
1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

It is, although the more that comes out about that launch, the worse it looks. Apparently SpaceX is getting as bad at engineering as Tesla and Twitter. Musk's engineers told him that they needed cooling trenches and greater structural stabilizers in the launch pad when it was being built. He overrode them. Before the launch Musk said that success would be "the launch pad doesn't get blown up."  Everyone thought he was joking but the launch pad didn't only get blown up, the entire refueling structure is utterly destroyed and rather than just a damaged structure underneath, there's a giant crater. They almost certainly can't even rebuild on the site it's so destroyed.

This is Musk's pattern—overrule and/or the engineers (as he did on removing the LIDAR from Teslas that were supposed to self-drive), push ahead, get lucky with some of those decisions and declare victory, get unlucky with others and destroy things and (in the case of Tesla) get people killed.

The stupid thing about Twitter is that it's the same as Brexit. Everything is proceeding pretty much exactly as people who understood their tech and their model predicted it would. The site is becoming increasingly unstable and unpredictable (because he laid off his ops and maintenance staff, which is free in the short term and incredibly expensive in the long term), the site is getting overrun by fake accounts and trolls (because he fired the entire safety staff), and people are quitting the platform because they're seeing stuff they hate promoted into their feed (all in the name of removing "wokeness" from the site).  I'm on Mastodon now but with Dorsey launching Bluesky it looks very much like Twitter is rapidly headed down the road that MySpace, Yahoo!, and AOL long ago went down.

I'm not a rocket engineer so I don't know how much this parallels with what SpaceX is doing, but from the outside it looks like he might kill three companies at the same time with his reckless engineering decision.

We're talking about an expendable prototype rocket that was expected to crash into the Gulf of Mexico.

SpaceX has a massive R&D budget and it's track record speaks for itself. The only company producing viable reusable rockets.

I have no experience with Tesla's full self driving beta because I live in the UK with windy roads as opposed to the grids used in the US. That is going to take a while but full autonomous driving vehicles will become a reality one day.

1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

I'm on Mastodon now but with Dorsey launching Bluesky it looks very much like Twitter is rapidly headed down the road that MySpace, Yahoo!, and AOL long ago went down.

I use Mastodon as well, but there's no denying that it's shite.

Watt-Zeefuik
2 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

We're talking about an expendable prototype rocket that was expected to crash into the Gulf of Mexico.

SpaceX has a massive R&D budget and it's track record speaks for itself. The only company producing viable reusable rockets.

I have no experience with Tesla's full self driving beta because I live in the UK with windy roads as opposed to the grids used in the US. That is going to take a while but full autonomous driving vehicles will become a reality one day.

Again, the rocket was expected to explode, but they didn't want to blow up the launch pad, which was significantly more expensive and less expendable. That failed miserably.

Autonomous vehicles are a reality today, but if you want them to be safe they need about $100k in sensor equipment on them, which means that they're out of the range of most people. Most of the automakers trying this (which is to say pretty much all automakers) have held off on trying to get these functional in consumer-level vehicles because it's just too expensive, and have instead focused (IMO quite correctly) on trams and shuttles and things where they have more control over the right of way and the additional sensor array is less of a marginal cost on the vehicle.

Tesla is the only company to say, "screw it, we're doing it with webcams and video recognition." It's not remotely ready. It's not even a little bit safe. But Musk is throwing it out there in beta form and it's now killing people because he doesn't ****ing care.

Watt-Zeefuik
Just now, Ulysses said:

I use Mastodon as well, but there's no denying that it's shite.

It's certainly, ahem, immature, that's for sure. I think it depends on the instance you're on as to how well it works. But it's definitely still in "early adopter" mode.

Just now, Led Tasso said:

It's certainly, ahem, immature, that's for sure. I think it depends on the instance you're on as to how well it works. But it's definitely still in "early adopter" mode.

By "shite", I mean "feck all people and feck all content", by the way.  

2 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Tesla is the only company to say, "screw it, we're doing it with webcams and video recognition." It's not remotely ready. It's not even a little bit safe. But Musk is throwing it out there in beta form and it's now killing people because he doesn't ****ing care.

Word to the wise - this gives you a pointer as to how to tell the difference between cool-headed analysts and gullible breathless fanboys.

The former spell **** as "Musk".  The latter spell it "Elon".  :whistling: 

(Time for me to stop with the Ted Talks)  :laugh: 

Watt-Zeefuik
12 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

By "shite", I mean "feck all people and feck all content", by the way.  

Certainly a lot less Hearts content there than on Twitter, at least as far as I've found. (I don't "toot" about Hearts because no one following me does Scottish football, but I suppose that could change . . .)

Watt-Zeefuik
10 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Word to the wise - this gives you a pointer as to how to tell the difference between cool-headed analysts and gullible breathless fanboys.

The former spell **** as "Musk".  The latter spell it "Elon".  :whistling: 

(Time for me to stop with the Ted Talks)  :laugh: 

:lol: ayup

2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Again, the rocket was expected to explode, but they didn't want to blow up the launch pad, which was significantly more expensive and less expendable. That failed miserably.

Chunks of concrete feet across were gouged out of that ex launch pad and scattered for hundreds of yards. I found that incredible, a piece of foam breaking off at launch doomed a shuttle, large chunks of concrete flying around a rocket launch probably at high speed sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.