Beginning of the end for Twitter?

A Boy Named Crow

A Boy Named Crow

I've never really been into Twitter,  seems like a bit of a swamp for the hard of thinking,  so Musk buying it never really interested me. The point raised by Bezos though is interesting.  Imagine the sway the Chinese could have on those hundreds of millions of users,  by exploiting Musk's conflict of interest... would folk stay with it,  or vote with their feet (well,  thumbs)?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/apr/26/jeff-bezos-questions-china-influence-over-elon-musk-twitter

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Notts1874

• Mikey1874

• Unknown user

dobmisterdobster

Twitter gives everyone a soapbox and generally brings out the worst in people.

Will Elon improve things? Probably not but they can't get much worse.

Personally I love Twitter. Like all social media's it brings out some real idiots, but Twitter is great in my eyes. Far less personal and dare I say toxic as Facebook, Instagram etc. Twitter was brilliant for me during the pandemic as like JKB, it helped fill the void of being at Hearts matches, and through it, I've met some brilliant people.

I think the one thing Musk will be looking to bring in though is a system which restricts people making burner accounts on the fly to use for trolling. How he goes about it, I don't know.

This is not the end for Twitter - absolutely not IMO, lots of knee jerk reactions.

Elon Musk has bought Twitter because despite his basic "how much, oh i can buy it" approach he's got it because it's up there with Facebook/Amazon/Microsoft as one of the biggest companies on the internet/app stores. It's monetisation of user data/marketing etc hasn't fully been exploited (yet). 

This is a purchase that will see Twitter make some changes but grow IMO. It gives Musk the ego trip he wants before he drip feeds shares back into the market recouping his investment whilst retaining control of the company. 

In terms of users - some people will leave it because they strongly object to Elon and that's ok. The majority of normal users aren't leaving to go to a fragmented/smaller social media platform.

The social influencers/celebs/professionals might build up a secondary following on Parler/Mastodon/Instagram etc to compliment their Twitter following in case things go wrong but they will not abandon a platform that potentially earns them money. 

3 minutes ago, Locky said:

I think the one thing Musk will be looking to bring in though is a system which restricts people making burner accounts on the fly to use for trolling. How he goes about it, I don't know.

Cracking down on troll accounts would massively help improve social media, the problem is that to authenticate they may force users to concede to some form of ID check. 

Perhaps a credit card authentication (inc the secure transaction check) check does this ? 

Anything else using government data (passport/drivers ID/social security etc) has more more sinister feeling IMO. 

I'm not a massive fan of social media, although I do use it occasionally.

However anything that causes the great unwashed to come out from under they're stone and threaten "this is my last post", is definitely worth watching for the entertainment value, these folks are beyond pathetic.

15 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Cracking down on troll accounts would massively help improve social media, the problem is that to authenticate they may force users to concede to some form of ID check. 

Perhaps a credit card authentication (inc the secure transaction check) check does this ? 

Anything else using government data (passport/drivers ID/social security etc) has more more sinister feeling IMO. 

Yeah was thinking that myself with some sort of soft credit check or authentication. Wouldn't bother me personally. As much as I post some shite, and some rather unsavoury drunken views, I have no intention of ever quite incriminating myself. :lol: 

Geoff Kilpatrick

Twitter is a cesspool that is best avoided but the drama queens on it seething about Musk was quite something!

I have a twitter account but just use it to follow accounts for info/laughs. There is plenty of bile but it can be a useful tool for getting links to good articles, updates from football clubs or bands and finding out what latest Partridge-esque gem Richard Madelely has spouted.

Have no interest in spouting my own insights, despite how on point and profound they invariably are.

Elon Musk is a rich weirdo who would be better using his insane wealth for humanitarian good but you can't influence the stock market as much that way, not that I'm cynical about his objectives.

As to whether he will make it better, Nigel Farage thinks it's a good thing so essentially the answer is no.

Only joined last year so I could get in contact with Nike to say their kids fitba boots are shit.

Stayed on and generally just a bit of troll if I'm honest. That said John Colquhoun liked my t shirt so I could probably just quit as I dont see how it can get any better.

Just finished my first suspension for calling out a guy making fun of Zals death. Yup, I got suspended for saying his owns fans would probably give him a slap for such a comment.

bobby bombscare

The people leaving is just all the softies taking the hump and not getting there way. 

Give it a year and they'll be back when they realise they're not getting the attention they crave. 

OmiyaHearts

I really like twitter, not sure why people are pissing their pants about the guy buying it. 

IMO people should pay for it, £1 a month and you have to register by card. Would make people accountable for sending abuse and hopefully make them think twice about it, knowing the police have their info, if needed.

John Gentleman
6 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I really like twitter, not sure why people are pissing their pants about the guy buying it. 

IMO people should pay for it, £1 a month and you have to register by card. Would make people accountable for sending abuse and hopefully make them think twice about it, knowing the police have their info, if needed.

If they had to pay for it, they'd Tweet twice as much shite as they do for free. Entitlement and a' that...
"Buddy, I pay my $$$s. I demand freedom to Tweet what I want..."

jack D and coke
14 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

It’s kinda ironic people saying that some social media platform is pish on another social media platform. None of them are healthy at times in all honesty. 
Twitter is glorious at times tho, recently the piss taking of Maloney for example. 

Jambo-Jimbo
16 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Sure I heard on (CNN?) that they were of the opinion that Musk was going to get rid of anonymous accounts, thus making people accountable for what they tweet.  Wouldn't bother me either way as I'm not on twitter or facebook or whatever the others are.

I am now gonnae join, so I can troll Elon Musk until he blocks me. Free speech and all that. 

Then off to Boris and his many Tory filth.

I mainly use it for getting sports and current affairs news quickly. I follow a few people who are actually funny and some mates. Some absolute fuds on it though. 

Mr Brightside

I like Twitter but use it primarily as a news feed and very rarely tweet myself.

I find it has less guff than Facebook and useful for finding out information on events.

The mute function is good, I muted the shamrock and Union Jack emojis and it cuts out about 90% of old firm numpties from my timeline.

been here before

Never felt the need for twitter, facebook or whatever other shite is out there.

Occasionally it passes through my head to sign up though and be friends with or follow The Donald, Vlad, the Israeli Army etc just to noise up the self righteous wokers who drift into my sphere of influence from time to time.

1 minute ago, been here before said:

Occasionally it passes through my head to sign up though and be friends with or follow The Donald, Vlad, the Israeli Army etc just to noise up the *self righteous wokers who drift into my sphere of influence from time to time.

Aye, that's it right enough. Not that you like what they do.

OmiyaHearts
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Sure I heard on (CNN?) that they were of the opinion that Musk was going to get rid of anonymous accounts, thus making people accountable for what they tweet.  Wouldn't bother me either way as I'm not on twitter or facebook or whatever the others are.

I'd never sent random abuse to an individual, so I'm all for official accounts, where every individual is registered via paypal , card etc.

It would definitely be a better platform for interaction if anonymity was removed. Especially for women.

Actually, almost all social media platforms would improve. 

The Mighty Thor

The orange man child will be happy that he'll be back on shortly to dispense his populist chaff to the rednecks.

Good for following breaking news stories, generally unfiltered through the MSM prism.

Otherwise it's full of ****s

Elon will very quickly find out that "free speech" only goes as far as the Law allows.

Hate Speech and Incitement to Violence are very much illegal and will not be allowed no matter what the "free speech purists" think.

He can un-ban Tommy Robinson and Donald Trump, but they'll be banned again as soon as they break the law and Twitter gets charged with enabling crimes.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The orange man child will be happy that he'll be back on shortly to dispense his populist chaff to the rednecks.

Good for following breaking news stories, generally unfiltered through the MSM prism.

Otherwise it's full of ****s

Apparently he's staying off it.

42 minutes ago, Cade said:

Elon will very quickly find out that "free speech" only goes as far as the Law allows.

Hate Speech and Incitement to Violence are very much illegal and will not be allowed no matter what the "free speech purists" think.

He can un-ban Tommy Robinson and Donald Trump, but they'll be banned again as soon as they break the law and Twitter gets charged with enabling crimes.

Tommy has been banned already, didn't last a night 🤣

Aye well with all the legal cases against him, Trump is better off not saying anything.

He'd easily talk himself into a long stretch in the pokey.

Got twitter last year, very rarely post but its good to sit and watch shit storms unfold. Gino being unvaccinated has a few weirdos raging today.

Jeffros Furios
3 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Twitter is savage. 

In what way Vinny babe ? 

3 hours ago, been here before said:

Occasionally it passes through my head to sign up though and be friends with or follow The Donald, Vlad, the Israeli Army etc just to noise up the self righteous wokers who drift into my sphere of influence from time to time.

JKB is 'other shite out there'. Quite funny you and others can't see that. 

The problem with focussing on the negative is giving idiots more credit than they are due.

Like life in general the positives outweigh the negatives. 

The technology companies though have that choice. They have the technology to block the negative especially the abuse which is the problem. They block commercial stuff quickly  enough.

Musk is interesting. Despite his suggesting he wants to stop people eg Trump being censored he generally achieves positives in what he does so it's more likely Twitter will be better.

People stil have a choice to not let negative people bother them. Have more confidence in yourself and what you believe is right. 

indianajones

I dont use Twitter or social media. I think its all responsible for a lot of the worlds problems today.

How can Musk buying Twitter not be seen as anything other than positive though? Best thing for it.

JudyJudyJudy
7 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Twitter is a cesspool that is best avoided but the drama queens on it seething about Musk was quite something!

Its been delicious. 

JudyJudyJudy

I like it for sports and entertainment issues. One of my tweets was read out on " Celebrity Big Brother " one time . Pretty bizarre experience watching the show and the tweet was being read and I was thinking.  " that sounds like my tweet" and sure enough it was.  Surreal. I was rather stoned at the time which made it even more bizarre. :) 

been here before
57 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

JKB is 'other shite out there'. Quite funny you and others can't see that. 

Thing is though myself and others can see that, infact its already been pointed out on this thread. Quite funny you cant see that.

Can you mates with The Donald or the IDF on here? Are they members?

Edited by been here before

Jeffros Furios
2 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

31q2BhO4-KL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Thats nice Vinny  you even put wee stickers on it 😄 

I'm surprised you were allowed 😛

9 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

It's weird that people are getting upset because ownership by a different tech bro **** will "make Twitter worse".  The thing is already a cesspit.  Increasing the level of shite in the pit isn't really going to make any difference at this stage.

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

I like it for sports and entertainment issues. One of my tweets was read out on " Celebrity Big Brother " one time . Pretty bizarre experience watching the show and the tweet was being read and I was thinking.  " that sounds like my tweet" and sure enough it was.  Surreal. I was rather stoned at the time which made it even more bizarre. :) 

None of this is in any way surprising. 

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

None of this is in any way surprising. 

002A1C85-B202-45DD-8826-0186DB9D9F2B.jpeg

SpruceBringsteen

The only folk who care either way are yank oddballs, 50% of whom are functionally illiterate, screeching their team to victory in the great culture war.

I'll simply continue posting about Neil MacFarlane and why 2001 was music's greatest year

1 hour ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

The only folk who care either way are yank oddballs, 50% of whom are functionally illiterate, screeching their team to victory in the great culture war.

I'll simply continue posting about Neil MacFarlane and why 2001 was music's greatest year

27-04-2022qsadz_gsimage.png

14 hours ago, indianajones said:

I dont use Twitter or social media. I think its all responsible for a lot of the worlds problems today.

How can Musk buying Twitter not be seen as anything other than positive though? Best thing for it.

JKB that you are using is social media. 

indianajones
23 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

JKB that you are using is social media. 

Yes.

Hardly to the same extent though is it?

SpruceBringsteen
13 hours ago, Ulysses said:

27-04-2022qsadz_gsimage.png

Just goes to show money doesn't equal brains B)

7 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Just goes to show money doesn't equal brains B)

I never knew Musk was such a fan.  :biggrin:

The money he's paying is ludicrous. Bezos payed around 250 million for the Washington Post, which makes money.

While Musk coughs up what is it 43 billion for something that has never made money?

He's become like a Russian oligarch buying a premier league team as his own personal toy.

JudyJudyJudy

He’s completely trolling the “ freedom of speech “ mob ( but only if they agree with what you say like )