Beginning of the end for Twitter?

A Boy Named Crow

One of the biggest Ad agencies in the world has recommended that it's clients avoid twitter because "the platform has lost control of its environment" 

20221111_214404.jpg

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Notts1874

• Mikey1874

• Unknown user

13 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Musk arguing with a Democratic Senator who may be able to shut down his business. 

It's fascinating to watch this all unfold.

Equally fascinating is his army of online supporters, I've never paid much attention to the lad but these Musk simps are seriously weird.

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Equally fascinating is his army of online supporters, I've never paid much attention to the lad but these Musk simps are seriously weird.

image.jpeg.e1d4bbd450def56642dc569b23d2aaf3.jpegThis meme has been around for years because it keeps being relevant.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Equally fascinating is his army of online supporters, I've never paid much attention to the lad but these Musk simps are seriously weird

He tweeted last night about twitter generating the most "clicks" to other websites. Obviously trying to woo advertisers. Trouble is it was utter bollocks 😂😂

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Saw a headline they funded some $600k statue for him or something :laugh:

Watching Musk **** it all up is great. Shame it affects normal workers. 

dobmisterdobster
4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Musk arguing with a Democratic Senator who may be able to shut down his business. 

He would need a lawful reason to do something like that.

17 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

He would need a lawful reason to do something like that.

Twitter has a long-standing major consent decree with the FTC that Musk has been flaunting since the moment he took over. Shutting down Twitter would obviously be an extreme action but if Musk continues to treat it like an irrelevance he could get himself in serious bother.

In other news, every time I think it can't get funnier . . .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/11/14/twitter-fake-eli-lilly/

image.thumb.png.f8d8bd299378b257c2a30383b9ebab19.png

image.thumb.png.cc7edbbacbabe41a73016ae35c27a686.png 

(Nevermind that insulin should be free of course)

I never use twitter and never have, but obviously I know what it is and does. Which is sort of funny because reportedly the owner Elon Musk doesn't quite know what it's for.

I'm seeing reports of almost complete meltdown at twitter with technical failures and more. Plus allegedly many longtime avid users including high profile users are apparently making goodbyes on twitter. "wonder who will get in the last tweet" is one comment. Critical infrastructure are out or have resigned. If they have any sort of major issue they won't be able to fix it.

They apparently think it could be gone anytime, overnight. So, you people who do use it, is it apparent to you that this service is going down the pan fast? Or is it exaggeration?

"I've fired too many people to keep the place running and they won't come back so the rest of you are going to have to pick up the slack, alright?
Hang on, where are you going?"

:rofl:

OMG he's effectively cleaned out infrastructure. You can fire a bunch of devs and let your app live on life support for a while. You can fire your sales staff and run on existing contracts. Hell, Twitter could actually exist for a while without the content team, although it would increasingly suck.

But clearing out infrastructure is truly suicidal. At a place like Twitter, stuff breaks all the time, and the only reason you don't notice it is because infrastructure is constantly fixing it in ways that you don't notice. 

Elon isn't just a smug, entitled, Nazi-curious doofus. He truly has absolutely no idea how modern software works. Like, at all.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/17/23465274/hundreds-of-twitter-employees-resign-from-elon-musk-hardcore-deadline

1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

Elon isn't just a smug, entitled, Nazi-curious doofus. He truly has absolutely no idea how modern software works. Like, at all.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/17/23465274/hundreds-of-twitter-employees-resign-from-elon-musk-hardcore-deadline

Got to wonder just how much of a hit his reputation as a tech genius has taken and quite how this will affect his other ventures. He has shown such poor judgement and disregard for customers, software testing and evaluation.

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, Cade said:

"I've fired too many people to keep the place running and they won't come back so the rest of you are going to have to pick up the slack, alright?
Hang on, where are you going?"

:rofl:

He seems to be a right arsehole.

1 hour ago, RobboM said:

Got to wonder just how much of a hit his reputation as a tech genius has taken and quite how this will affect his other ventures. He has shown such poor judgement and disregard for customers, software testing and evaluation.

Indeed. It's why I'm talking about this taking possibly $100 billion of his wealth. SpaceX is an actually well-run space company because it's kind of in the wheelhouse of what Musk actually does well. Tesla is an okay car company with price-to-earnings ratio like 60 times that of other okay car companies solely on the back of the myth of Elon the Genius with enough fans among the highly paid tech sector that he's convinced them to dump their significant investment dollars into his stock.

I'm sure most of them are still on the, "this is all part of his crazy brilliant plan" side for now, but I don't know how much longer that can last as Twitter's uptime really starts to wobble, as I hear it's doing.

1. Somebody has obviously told him how shadowbanning works. It's been a thing on every social media platform for years. 

2. Does he have any staff left to make sure it actually happens? 

3. The negative bit is probably about slagging him off. 

Edited by Notts1874

Seems like the guy behind Waze is developing the best alternative so far. It's still in beta at the minute but looks promising. 

As soon as a good alternative is found twitter is done. 

1 minute ago, escobri said:

Noticed a few accounts allowed back on, just waiting on the big guy now.

Kathie Griffin and Jordan Peterson 😂😂

Orange Racist might be allowed back on soon but he won't post. He needs to make money from Truth Social. 

13 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Kathie Griffin and Jordan Peterson 😂😂

Orange Racist might be allowed back on soon but he won't post. He needs to make money from Truth Social. 

Just found out who J.P is, watched a video of him reduced to tears addressing a crowd in Isreal, no watching him again 🤣

5 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Indeed. It's why I'm talking about this taking possibly $100 billion of his wealth. SpaceX is an actually well-run space company because it's kind of in the wheelhouse of what Musk actually does well. Tesla is an okay car company with price-to-earnings ratio like 60 times that of other okay car companies solely on the back of the myth of Elon the Genius with enough fans among the highly paid tech sector that he's convinced them to dump their significant investment dollars into his stock.

I'm sure most of them are still on the, "this is all part of his crazy brilliant plan" side for now, but I don't know how much longer that can last as Twitter's uptime really starts to wobble, as I hear it's doing.

Last paragraph reminds me of our mad Vlad tbh!

The founders of twitter must be having a great time. You would imagine one aim when setting up these tech companies is i'm going to build this up then sell it for a bundle.

Then in walks Musk waving $44 billion around for a service that has still never made any money, and still struggling to find ways to make money.

No wonder they forced it when he returned to reality and tried to get out of the deal. They might even end up getting it back for a fraction of the price Musk payed. I would love to know how that 44 billion price tag was settled.

Did they set that price at twitter thinking even he isn't crazy enough to pay that? He will go away and not bother us anymore if we set such a ridiculous price? Or was Musk ridiculous enough to offer that figure himself?

And twitter decided hey that's an offer I can't refuse even before you put a horses head in my bed?

Edited by JFK-1

49 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

The founders of twitter must be having a great time. You would imagine one aim when setting up these tech companies is i'm going to build this up then sell it for a bundle.

Then in walks Musk waving $44 billion around for a service that has still never made any money, and still struggling to find ways to make money.

No wonder they forced it when he returned to reality and tried to get out of the deal. They might even end up getting it back for a fraction of the price Musk payed. I would love to know how that 44 billion price tag was settled.

Did they set that price at twitter thinking even he isn't crazy enough to pay that? He will go away and not bother us anymore if we set such a ridiculous price? Or was Musk ridiculous enough to offer that figure himself?

And twitter decided hey that's an offer I can't refuse even before you put a horses head in my bed?

Musk did a hostile takeover bid, jacking up the price to force the board’s hand. But they knew he’s way outbid the real value of the company and agreed to his offer, after which he started trying to get out of it.

Musk was effectively just trolling for shits and enjoying being the wealthiest person in the world, and his bid was premised on the idea that Twitter was run by morons and a Very Stable Genius like him could get it profitable overnight. Even to today, his actions and statements pretty clearly show that he thinks content mod, infrastructure, and the rest were all stupid useless jobs and only engineers  who write code are valuable. 

This is of course hopelessly arrogant and naive.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

I think Musk genuinely believes that he can turn Twitter into a mega app where we all communicate and consume through it, eventually usurping Facebook, Google, Amazon and the likes, and that in achieving such a level of "everythingness" and "everywhereness", the $44 billion will be but the tiniest drop in the tsunami of earnings that it will attract.

32 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Musk did a hostile takeover bid, jacking up the price to force the board’s hand. But they knew he’s way outbid the real value of the company and agreed to his offer, after which he started trying to get out of it.

Musk was effectively just trolling for shits and enjoying being the wealthiest person in the world, and his bid was premised on the idea that Twitter was run by morons and a Very Stable Genius like him could get it profitable overnight. Even to today, his actions and statements pretty clearly show that he thinks content mod, infrastructure, and the rest were all stupid useless jobs and only engineers  who write code are valuable. 

This is of course hopelessly arrogant and naive.

What he has done with the rockets is impressive and I greatly admire him for it, he's a key figure in the present and future of rocketry. But I get the feeling Musk has a screw missing on some level, impulsive like Trump. Also doesn't like criticism while spouting about free speech and will respond like a petulant child to criticism sometimes later removing the response.

He is apparently a bit of a **** at SpaceX and Tesla too. Will impulsively fire people who disagree with him then sometimes have to hire them back because they're effectively irreplaceable. That can hold up the building of a rocket I suppose, but SpaceX isn't going to collapse because of that, twitter very well could.

What he's doing is reckless in the extreme.

il Duce McTarkin
11 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

Everything crossed that it’s almost down the pan. Hopefully Meta follows. 

Keegan_3293739b.jpg.05af472534f46f8f7a41683eaf5e377b.jpg

He keeps going on about Twitter getting record visitors, as if it's a sign of how popular it's been since his takeover....nope, it's people stopping to have a gawk at the car crash!

55 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

What's Meta, Facebook?

Zuckerberg's folly.

My mate made a good money in tech, developing 360° cameras in conjunction with Google maps, etc.

He was excited as anything about the metaverse, how it's going to change everything, how we'll do everything in VR rather than real life. That's what the metaverse is, just another virtual reality world where your avatar interacts with other avatars.

Pointless, stupid.

I tried to tell him, it might be exciting to tech guys, but they're not going to sell headsets at £1500 per person to companies so they can have VR meetings instead of zoom calls, they don't want it, need it, and neither does the man in the street.

This isn't something that enough people are willing to commit to, and they're already baws deep financially.

Edited by Smithee

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Zuckerberg's folly.

My mate made a good money in tech, developing 360° cameras in conjunction with Google maps, etc.

He was excited as anything about the metaverse, how it's going to change everything, how we'll do everything in VR rather than real life. That's what the metaverse is, just another virtual reality world where your avatar interacts with other avatars.

Pointless, stupid.

I tried to tell him, it might be exciting to tech guys, but they're not going to sell headsets at £1500 per person to companies so they can have VR meetings instead of zoom calls, they don't want it, need it, and neither does the man in the street.

This isn't something that enough people are willing to commit to, and they're already baws deep financially.

It sounds utter shite to be honest. 

Couldnt do any of my hobbies in VR. 

Shooter McGavin
7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Zuckerberg's folly.

Pointless, stupid.

I can only see it appealing to incels who wish to live their entire lives from their bedrooms.

Heres a video which demonstrates a VR art gallery experience, it’s laughably tinpot, and Zuckerberg reckons this is the future 😂

7 minutes ago, indianajones said:

It sounds utter shite to be honest. 

Couldnt do any of my hobbies in VR. 

Well I reckon there's one that would fit, but I won't be spending £1500 on a headset for it!

It's so stupid, their own staff aren't even using it and are being made to log in at least once a week to keep numbers up, while memos have been sent demanding they love it more.

They think we'll spend money buying and building virtual stuff in the metaverse. Nope!