Beginning of the end for Twitter?

A Boy Named Crow

3 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Just to clear up the bullshit in the above post. 

Musk banned journalists who he accused of doxing him. Not one of them did as the information was in the public domain. He also banned a journalist who exposed the working practices at Tesla. 

He's just a thin skinned narcissist. 

If you think Musk is the free speech guy in this you must be zipped up the back. 

image.gif.956d8ca525feec8db579de7a8cae68c6.gif

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Notts1874

• Mikey1874

• Unknown user

John Gentleman

The problem with the Musks and Zuckerbergs of the world is that, at some point, they start believing their own bullshit irrespective of their prior achievements.
That time is now for the pair of them. It's all downhill from here.

19 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’m a libertarian . Free speech should never be censored . No Matter however one may disagree . Musk is getting shot of the arseholes who are supposedly for free speech . They aren’t . 

Not sure that makes any sense, JJJ. Don’t see how anyone who is a libertarian and free speech advocate can possibly support Musk’s actions. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by JimBett365

57 minutes ago, JimBett365 said:

Not sure that makes any sense, JJJ. Don’t see how anyone who is a libertarian and free speech advocate can possibly support Musk’s actions. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Of course it doesn't make sense. 

17 hours ago, ri Alban said:

KarenKarenKaren don't take it to heart, ma man. Just questioning some inconsistent views, that's all.

D5091E6F-831B-49EA-A95E-3126AE35A5C6.gif

CCD7638D-BFB4-48D8-A895-9341720E718B.gif

31 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Free speech absolutist. 

20221218_132025.jpg

Think it’s pretty clear what Musk’s motivations are when you read that. 100% censorship. 

dobmisterdobster
21 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Not very free speechy.

Try going to McDonald's while handing out Burger King vouchers and see how long it takes until you are throw out.

Dennis Reynolds
25 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Try going to McDonald's while handing out Burger King vouchers and see how long it takes until you are throw out.

Not comparable in the slightest but you keep drinking that kool-aid bud.

56 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Not comparable in the slightest but you keep drinking that kool-aid bud.

Second tweet in that threat specifies it'll apply to accounts made solely for the promotion of accounts on other social media platforms so kinda is. 

Dennis Reynolds
28 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Second tweet in that threat specifies it'll apply to accounts made solely for the promotion of accounts on other social media platforms so kinda is. 

It's not. 

Musk U-turns on the "no links to any other platform" rule and then posts a vote on whether he should step down as CEO, which has ruled that he should GTFO.

:rofl:

:hartley: :getout:

Edited by Cade

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

Musk U-turns on the "no links to any other platform" rule and then posts a vote on whether he should step down as CEO, which has ruled that he should GTFO.

:rofl:

He was getting a lot of heat from European governments last night about the no links to other platforms stuff. Especially the French, who probably weren't in the best of moods 😂😂

The poll was just performative bollocks. I'm sure he already had somebody lined up. 

12 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

It's not. 

Ah fair that does seem a bit more extreme than I initially saw from the Twitter account updates. 

His ownership of Twitter has been one of sustained knee-jerk badly-advised chaos. Hopefully one of his braver sycophants will advise him to end the experiment and take a step well back. This is not his forté.

15 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

What turns an intelligent human being into a billionaire's simp? It's not as simple as buying a Tesla, is it?

28 minutes ago, redjambo said:

His ownership of Twitter has been one of sustained knee-jerk badly-advised chaos. Hopefully one of his braver sycophants will advise him to end the experiment and take a step well back. This is not his forté.

Hopefully not this guy 👀👀😮😮

20221219_134851.jpg

55 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

20221219_134851.jpg

:D That would certainly put the cat among the pigeons.

6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D That would certainly put the cat among the pigeons.

Musk loves a twitter poll, so I think this one should be binding 😂😂

Screenshot_20221219_145053_com.twitter.android_edit_314370181296301.jpg

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

:laugh2: he's an absolute moron! I was only vaguely aware of his being a tool, but the reputational damage he's done with this will be massive. The whole world knows he's a clueless tit, flailing about and out of touch.

It's been a laugh TBF, but I just can't get over his fanboys who seem to see him as Bruce Wayne or something.

40 minutes ago, Smithee said:

:laugh2: he's an absolute moron! I was only vaguely aware of his being a tool, but the reputational damage he's done with this will be massive. The whole world knows he's a clueless tit, flailing about and out of touch.

It's been a laugh TBF, but I just can't get over his fanboys who seem to see him as Bruce Wayne or something.

To be fair, electric driverless cars and taking steps to getting humanity off this planet, Musk's two principal pursuits, are laudable. I just wish we had someone more stable spearheading the drive forwards and not someone who is capable of causing significant damage by acting before he thinks. Sadly, stability and genius don't often go hand in hand. Musk needs sensible, close and forthright counterweights, not obsequious sycophants, otherwise he's just a loose cannon. However, his actions at Twitter in trying to get rid of or muzzle everyone who aren't in line with his thinking shows that he appears to prefer the latter. Someone needs a quiet word in his ear, but I doubt he will let anyone close enough to do so.

Edited by redjambo

2 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

20221219_134851.jpg

Is he there for the Qataris amusement. "Hey lads, he thinks he's got more money than us" oh really! :rofl:

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Is he there for the Qataris amusement. "Hey lads, he thinks he's got more money than us" oh really! :rofl:

Musk or Kushner? 

When he put that poll on Twitter, I thought it was basically asking the fan club of a boy band, "do we, like, I dunno, suck?"

With all the bots and trolls he's let back on Twitter and all the folks he's run off . . . and he STILL lost the vote. :lol:

Musk was about to announce the appointment of a Chief Executive (the name for the person who runs a company) anyway, so the latest poll is just another publicity stunt. 

12 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Musk was about to announce the appointment of a Chief Executive (the name for the person who runs a company) anyway, so the latest poll is just another publicity stunt. 

Twitter polls are the easiest way of generating clicks (money) on it's website. 

3 hours ago, redjambo said:

To be fair, electric driverless cars and taking steps to getting humanity off this planet, Musk's two principal pursuits, are laudable. I just wish we had someone more stable spearheading the drive forwards and not someone who is capable of causing significant damage by acting before he thinks. Sadly, stability and genius don't often go hand in hand. Musk needs sensible, close and forthright counterweights, not obsequious sycophants, otherwise he's just a loose cannon. However, his actions at Twitter in trying to get rid of or muzzle everyone who aren't in line with his thinking shows that he appears to prefer the latter. Someone needs a quiet word in his ear, but I doubt he will let anyone close enough to do so.

I might have said it before on here, but he's an ideas man, not a business man. Nothing wrong with that, but it will go horribly wrong if he tries to get involved in something that he doesn't really get.

45 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Worked well. Press falling over themselves to report on it. 

3 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

Worked well. Press falling over themselves to report on it. 

And they're still down $4m a day in lost advertising.

In fact, I read this today, the leveraged takeover has changed the position at Twitter, and about half the debt taken on is linked to fluctuating interest rates:

"analysts at research firm CreditSights calculate that Twitter’s annual interest burden will leap from less than $100m per year to around $1.2bn"

This is a company that posts regular losses already, he's ****ed it.

Edited by Smithee

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

And they're still down $4m a day in lost advertising.

In fact, I read this today, the leveraged takeover has changed the position at Twitter, and about half the debt taken on is linked to fluctuating interest rates:

"analysts at research firm CreditSights calculate that Twitter’s annual interest burden will leap from less than $100m per year to around $1.2bn"

This is a company that posts regular losses already, he's ****ed it.

Musk to one side...it feels ludicrous to me that Twitter was able to function full stop giving the losses they seem to have posted year on year for quite a while. 

Agreed though, seems to have utterly ****ed it. 

On another note but connected - read an interesting article I think in the Guardian that seemed to indicate faith in mainstream news outlets etc was at a 20 year or so high based on polls ( I know). I'm really hoping that we're at a stage where the fever seems to have finally broken over the populist nutjob worship and "do your own research" type arseholes dominating large portions of public debate. I long for the day where "I saw it in a tweet" isn't something I hear from friends and colleagues.

Had a couple of drams the night like but does anybody else remember when social media was in its infancy and you just used to go on it to post photos and mundane updates about your everyday life? It seemed better then (general naivety over privacy to one side). I miss those days of it 🤣

If you'd told 2008 BlueRiver that one day middle aged adults would be using it all as their primary source of news he'd have laughed at you and asked if you were in the next round of shots. 

6 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Had a couple of drams the night like but does anybody else remember when social media was in its infancy and you just used to go on it to post photos and mundane updates about your everyday life? It seemed better then (general naivety over privacy to one side). I miss those days of it 🤣

If you'd told 2008 BlueRiver that one day middle aged adults would be using it all as their primary source of news he'd have laughed at you and asked if you were in the next round of shots. 

Twitter has generally been good for me. I don't use it as my primary source of news but I certainly use it to get differing points of view. 

I also use it to troll the **** out of the official Hibs account 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

13 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Twitter has generally been good for me. I don't use it as my primary source of news but I certainly use it to get differing points of view. 

I also use it to troll the **** out of the official Hibs account 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

See that's fair use. That's traditional use of social media 🤣 these ****wits that end up storming US Capitols over it though...who'd have seen that coming back in 06?

Admittedly the problem isn't social media itself. The tool is valuable. A lot of humans just can't be trusted to tie their shoe laces without accidently strangling themselves. They ruin it for the rest of us. 

4 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

See that's fair use. That's traditional use of social media 🤣 these ****wits that end up storming US Capitols over it though...who'd have seen that coming back in 06?

Admittedly the problem isn't social media itself. The tool is valuable. A lot of humans just can't be trusted to tie their shoe laces without accidently strangling themselves. They ruin it for the rest of us. 

I watched a podcast with Jon Stewart and he had a noble prize winner on it who predicted all of this. Can't remember her name atm unfortunately..

I must admit I did watch the insurrection on twitter 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, BlueRiver said:

A lot of humans just can't be trusted to tie their shoe laces without accidently strangling themselves. They ruin it for the rest of us. 

:laugh: 

Shooter McGavin

Social media does bring out the absolute worst in people. It’s quite noticeable how the interactions you see everyday on Twitter for example, barely happen in real life.

I’ve really limited my personal use of it down to just news from official sources, as I’ve found there’s far too many people who just go on looking to start arguments that they think make them look clever, when in actual fact they just come across as morons.

I find the unrelenting need for attention on Twitter, Facebook etc, especially from adults well into their 30’s, quite bizarre to be honest.

15 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I find the unrelenting need for attention on Twitter, Facebook etc, especially from adults well into their 30’s, quite bizarre to be honest.

That describes Musk's use of Twitter to an actual T. And part of his problem with it is he doesn't understand what most use it for. Personally I have never used it.

The only social media I use at all is Facebook and even then I never look at anything on it. If they're feeding me news, I don't notice it, don't even know where to look for it. The only contacts I have are family and a handful of old school friends and I never look at anything they post on it.

All I ever do with it is use the messenger feature and I do that as little as possible. Prefer email. I was on the internet before most people were back in the mid 90's, and I was seen as odd because I spent a lot of time on the internet. It was fascinating to me, I had always been a reader and here was a whole world of information.

Look at them all now, they have anxiety if they're not in touching range of the internet. They eat sleep and shit hanging on to it. And I, the odd one who spent all that time on the internet back in the day, can actually step outside the house without a device. And usually do.

I don't have this constant need to know what everyone is doing every second of the day, and have no interest in telling everyone what i'm doing. If I thought I couldn't spend time outside without anxiety due to no device, I would think I had a serious problem.

I sit in restaurants and see people texting each other, across a table. The device has to be within reach lest it beep or vibrate, have to get the news immediately if somebody is posting a pic of their dinner at another restaurant.

That's where we are, it's causing serious issues, and I see no way out of that now.

Shooter McGavin
24 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

That describes Musk's use of Twitter to an actual T. And part of his problem with it is he doesn't understand what most use it for. Personally I have never used it.

The only social media I use at all is Facebook and even then I never look at anything on it. If they're feeding me news, I don't notice it, don't even know where to look for it. The only contacts I have are family and a handful of old school friends and I never look at anything they post on it.

All I ever do with it is use the messenger feature and I do that as little as possible. Prefer email. I was on the internet before most people were back in the mid 90's, and I was seen as odd because I spent a lot of time on the internet. It was fascinating to me, I had always been a reader and here was a whole world of information.

Look at them all now, they have anxiety if they're not in touching range of the internet. They eat sleep and shit hanging on to it. And I, the odd one who spent all that time on the internet back in the day, can actually step outside the house without a device. And usually do.

I don't have this constant need to know what everyone is doing every second of the day, and have no interest in telling everyone what i'm doing. If I thought I couldn't spend time outside without anxiety due to no device, I would think I had a serious problem.

I sit in restaurants and see people texting each other, across a table. The device has to be within reach lest it beep or vibrate, have to get the news immediately if somebody is posting a pic of their dinner at another restaurant.

That's where we are, it's causing serious issues, and I see no way out of that now.

Good post mate, plenty of interesting points in there. I think I’m similar to you in that my approach now to social media is “take it or leave it”, I really don’t have much desire to plaster my personal life all over it, and I find it strange when people do.

Long gone are the days of the internet and social media just being a bit of fun in your spare time, now the younger generations especially are being mentally frazzled by it.

I think it’s stripping away peoples natural personality. Speaking to younger family members especially and they’ve just got nothing about them, zero personality, and lacking any real-world social skills. But go onto their social media profiles and it’s like they’re two different people.

It’s no wonder it’s a major factor in the mental health of young people, kids being brought up on jumped up gimps like Jake Paul, and the morons in Love Island.

If that’s who influences them, then what chance have they got?

8 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

Absolutely. 😂👍🏻

13 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

Musk to one side...it feels ludicrous to me that Twitter was able to function full stop giving the losses they seem to have posted year on year for quite a while. 

Agreed though, seems to have utterly ****ed it. 

On another note but connected - read an interesting article I think in the Guardian that seemed to indicate faith in mainstream news outlets etc was at a 20 year or so high based on polls ( I know). I'm really hoping that we're at a stage where the fever seems to have finally broken over the populist nutjob worship and "do your own research" type arseholes dominating large portions of public debate. I long for the day where "I saw it in a tweet" isn't something I hear from friends and colleagues.

Its losses were minor and generally covered by year over year revenue growth. By chasing off advertisers, Musk has blown the losses from minor to catastrophic if he doesn’t turn things around. That’s before you get to the crippling debt and the billions he fronted to cover the purchase price.

5 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Social media does bring out the absolute worst in people. It’s quite noticeable how the interactions you see everyday on Twitter for example, barely happen in real life.

I’ve really limited my personal use of it down to just news from official sources, as I’ve found there’s far too many people who just go on looking to start arguments that they think make them look clever, when in actual fact they just come across as morons.

I used Twitter heavily for years but was frustrated with it throughout that time. The algorithms are tuned to promote the posts which will get the most engagement, which often means the site is tuned to push stuff you actively hate into your feed. Using Twitter is therefore an exercise in pissing yourself off. Yes it was a great source of breaking news, but at what cost?

Tesla stock now down nearly 70% on the back of Musk's distraction at Twitter, weakening demand for the cars, and the absolute ****ing stupidity of doing Full Self Driving the way they did it now causing crashes on the regular.