Beginning of the end for Twitter?

A Boy Named Crow

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Oh really? Have you ever put anyone on ignore or reported them to the mods. 

How far does it go James? When does free speech become censored? When it's about gays.

Calling women “ bitches “ 

Calling a tennis player from a certain country a “ war criminal “  

are comments that need challenged . I’m sure you know who said those remarks . 

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Notts1874

• Mikey1874

• Unknown user

19 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Twitter is bigger than Musk. Unless he pulls the plug it will be around for years decades even.

6 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

People do realise he’s just bought Twitter as a d*** swinging exercise? And he doesn’t really care whether his ownership is a success or not? He’s got absolutely nothing to lose, and this is his way of entertaining himself.

In my opinion, he’s just a weirdo, extremely talented, and also a weapons grade attention seeker.

I realize that when you're technically the richest man on the planet with over $200 billion in assets, $60-80 billion may seem like "absolutely nothing to lose" but he's basically flushing a gigantic amount of wealth down the toilet here.

Twitter has made money for like two years of its existence. For years this was okay, because its revenue growth was enough that debt service on losses was easy enough given increased revenues. But revenue was already starting to stall. Most people agreed a decent market cap for Twitter was probably in the $10-15 billion range. Musk went and paid $44 billion for it, much of that covered by his Tesla stock holdings (a stock which has since fallen but still has an absolutely insane PE ratio, indicating it's very likely to fall a lot further at some point), but also a lot of it done by loading Twitter itself up with debt, effectively what the Glaziers did to Manchester United.

As a result of this, Twitter itself has to pay something like $1 billion in debt service on an annual basis just to stay solvent. Again, Twitter has almost never had positive cash flow, and its annual revenue is something like $3-4 billion.

All of this *might* be feasible with the gigantic layoffs he's issued *if* he could keep revenue somewhat steady. But that would require not losing much of the user population and keeping advertisers on board and drastically reducing labor costs. But as has been evidenced, his plan is about as sound as Truss's mini-budget and is having much of the same effects. Clearing out the content moderation team basically means a huge number of long-term, regular Twitter users (me included) are jumping ship and deleting our accounts. Meanwhile, the brand chaos and cozying up to antisemitists has advertisers diving for the exits. He's effectively created a death spiral for the company.

If revenue keeps collapsing, the only way he'll be able to cover the debt service is by selling his Tesla stock in large quantities. But with investors already very nervous about him being too distracted with Twitter to focus on Tesla and SpaceX (his one true home-run success), Tesla stock will likely keep falling, destroying even more of his wealth.

I mean Fox News is clearly a viable business model and it does nothing but advertise to reactionary arseholes, but that was in the fairly well known and understood model of TV. When advertisers were already starting to abandon the big social media sites (see Facebook's ongoing, parallel revenue implosion), he's going to have a very hard time keeping the lights on.

:sergioyay:

Dennis Reynolds

It's been quite funny watching it lurch from bad idea to bad idea and slowly realising that he can't just do what he wants to do.

Have to say laughing at the former Twitter executive complaining about “undemocratic” changes. Musk may not know what he’s doing but it’s not a parish council. 

Elon Musk Appears In Over His Head With Purchase Of Twitter

Ben Collins, senior reporter for NBC News, talks with Alex Wagner about the changes and mistakes Elon Musk is making as he asserts his will upon his newly purchased company, Twitter, and the potential consequences for the midterm election as Musk is dismantling the tools for maintaining order on the site.

Musk will make loads from Twitter. He knows it's been underutilised.

His $8 per month. He doesn't give a dick about the $8. It may we well be 8 cents. He just wants to grapple control from the accounts that make money. There are people out there that make $1m from a single sponsored post. Twitter doesn't see any of that money. Musk will change that. People thinking he's going to lose money on this are seriously underestimating him. 

3 hours ago, IronJambo said:

His $8 per month. He doesn't give a dick about the $8. It may we well be 8 cents. He just wants to grapple control from the accounts that make money. There are people out there that make $1m from a single sponsored post. Twitter doesn't see any of that money. Musk will change that. People thinking he's going to lose money on this are seriously underestimating him. 

I disagree here

His autism helps him where single minded purposes are needed.

Social media is beyond his understanding 

human interaction and response is not within his grasp.

he is unable to tell how people will react- hence why it’s bumming out- and he thinks he knows why but he’s wrong- the difficulty being he thinks everyone thinks like him

they dont

"I'm a FREE SPEECH absolutionist, that's why I had to buy Twitter"

"You're being mean to me, have a permanent ban"

:gok:

Feckin prick hasn't got a clue what he's doing.

dobmisterdobster
17 minutes ago, Cade said:

"I'm a FREE SPEECH absolutionist, that's why I had to buy Twitter"

"You're being mean to me, have a permanent ban"

:gok:

Feckin prick hasn't got a clue what he's doing.

Pretending to be him and posting positive things about Jeffery Epstein.

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

I disagree here

he is unable to tell how people will react- hence why it’s bumming out- and he thinks he knows why but he’s wrong- the difficulty being he thinks everyone thinks like him

they dont

It's also totally typical of technobro culture. Data and tech are the only hard things, all this social and wordy stuff is squishy and easy. "I built rockets, so self-driving cars and social media are just data problems, right?" No, it's actually really hard, and he's getting advice from all the wrong people, meaning he's building killer robot cars and destroying one of the world's largest social media platforms in a matter of weeks.

On the plus side, he's going to basically vaporize all the market value of Twitter and ruin his reputation as Techbro Genius, causing his Tesla stock to collapse, and thereby flush more personal wealth down the toilet in a few months than the annual GDP of 100+ different countries.

5 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

I disagree here

they dont

You're probably right there but none of that stops him making money from people that have been making millions from the platform commission free 

4 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

FhAmzSTXwAE2Fzv.thumb.jpg.3cbda716329aa1892abbd5b88cf87afa.jpg

They didn't tho, did they. Everyone has their email address there for all to see. It's Musk censoring Twitter for the right wing mental jobs to all have a spoonathon. 

15 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

I disagree here

they dont

I think this guys summation fairly well nails Musks total misunderstanding of twitter. Video primed to begin just before he lays out his explanation of why Musk is out of his depth with this because he simply doesn't understand it.

11 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

FhAmzSTXwAE2Fzv.thumb.jpg.3cbda716329aa1892abbd5b88cf87afa.jpg

Best thing to happen to twitter . The gender identity mob are spewing now as they will have no where to bully ,  Harras and send death threats to people like JK Rowling , just because she believes in truth and facts . 

Facebook have announced they are to cut 13% of their staff which is around 11k. Zuckerphud blaming falling revenues that fell after big increases during COVID and him poorly investing that extra revenue 

Zukerberg's "Metaverse" nonsense met the real world and exploded into a shower of shite.

It'd be funny if not for the 11,000 people who lost their jobs because of one man's hubris.

Not good for the folks losing their jobs but Twitter and Facebook simultaneously imploding is outstanding for the world. Both decent platforms utterly ruined by the greedy wanks in charge of them.

Now we can build something better.

Chief Information Security Officer, Chief Privacy Officer and Chief Compliance Officer all resigned today. 

The new blue tick system is working well 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

20221110_170234.jpg

4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Fred west has got an official account too 

So has Jesus, which means we now know he lives amongst I suppose!! 

Head of Trust and Safety, the person who deals with hateful content etc, and Head of Sales have both just resigned. 

All going swimmingly then Elon 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Dusk_Till_Dawn
12 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Head of Trust and Safety, the person who deals with hateful content etc, and Head of Sales have both just resigned. 

All going swimmingly then Elon 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Given that this has no obvious game, you can only assume that Musk is totally incapable of running Twitter and the whole thing will collapse

On 08/11/2022 at 12:26, IronJambo said:

He's got $44bn of ground to make up first

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Given that this has no obvious game, you can only assume that Musk is totally incapable of running Twitter and the whole thing will collapse

They pulled the $8 blue tick "verification" overnight because people were ripping the piss out of him 🤣🤣

45 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The tick thing is an absolute shambles.

There have been some ridiculous tweets using it, like Pepsi tweeting that Coke is better. Lots of stick for Tesla as well. 

9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

There have been some ridiculous tweets using it, like Pepsi tweeting that Coke is better. Lots of stick for Tesla as well. 

Here are a few of them. 

On 09/11/2022 at 14:23, Led Tasso said:

Not good for the folks losing their jobs but Twitter and Facebook simultaneously imploding is outstanding for the world. Both decent platforms utterly ruined by the greedy wanks in charge of them.

Now we can build something better.

We will never build something better as long as greed is a factor (and it always will be). I may sound like an old twat but I yearn wistfully for the early days of the internet when it was all about the exchange of information, before the marketing guys, ad companies, and trackers got their hands on it. It was beautiful.

Edited by redjambo

17 minutes ago, redjambo said:

We will never build something better as long as greed is a factor (and it always will be). I may sound like an old twat but I yearn wistfully for the early days of the internet when it was all about the exchange of information, before the marketing guys, ad companies, and trackers got their hands on it. It was beautiful.

It doesn't always have to be a factor. The internet exists because government grants and higher ed researchers wanted to build better communication systems. We just turned it over to the venture capitalists in the aughts because they built big shiny things. Now that those are tumbling down, maybe there's a better run for us for a bit.

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Blue Check services disabled

:rofl:

My goodness.

There’s something very Hibs about how he’s running Twitter, isn’t there?

1 minute ago, Led Tasso said:

My goodness.

There’s something very Hibs about how he’s running Twitter, isn’t there?

I’ve never known of a businessman buying a multi billion dollar company and somehow instantly getting involved in the day to day running of it. 

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’ve never known of a businessman buying a multi billion dollar company and somehow instantly getting involved in the day to day running of it. 

Laying off half the company on day one. Before he’s even addressed the staff en masse. Madness.

Tesla stock down 8% on the week, largely as people watch Musk go bananas at Twitter and pay no attention to Tesla, all while needing to liquidate his Tesla stock to cover Twitter losses.

I've said it before. He might flush $100 billion in wealth down the drain on this before it's done.

10 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Tesla stock down 8% on the week, largely as people watch Musk go bananas at Twitter and pay no attention to Tesla, all while needing to liquidate his Tesla stock to cover Twitter losses.

I've said it before. He might flush $100 billion in wealth down the drain on this before it's done.

He's ****ing up worse than a losing Project Manager on Week 1 of The Apprentice 😂