Beginning of the end for Twitter?

A Boy Named Crow

8 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Tesla stock now down nearly 70% on the back of Musk's distraction at Twitter, weakening demand for the cars, and the absolute ****ing stupidity of doing Full Self Driving the way they did it now causing crashes on the regular.

Was always going to have a cooling off but he's made it into an abject disaster.

Times like these I wish I was wealthy. If ever there had been a stock to short it was Tesla. 

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Notts1874

• Mikey1874

• Unknown user

Last night Elon Musk endorsed and promoted the mad rantings of one of the Russian Government leaders on Twitter.

And last night people predicted this would happen.

20221227_223300.jpg

Opened my YouTube and the first recommended video is Musk doing a livestream about resigning as CEO of Twitter. Open it and it’s him talking about bitcoin being the future with a QR code on screen saying your life will change if you scan it. Scanned it and it’s a bitcoin giveaway if you make a transaction. Means nothing to me but I’m sure some will understand it. 

4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Last night Elon Musk endorsed and promoted the mad rantings of one of the Russian Government leaders on Twitter.

20221227_223300.jpg

My goodness. He's really going to get it under $100 before the end of the year, isn't he?

Halloween 2021 it was above $400. That's an astounding crash even in this age of tech stock retreats.

Folk know this guy can't fail right? 

All this shite happening and he's still worth over 100bn. Do people know how much money that is? It really doesn't matter if he loses half of it. It's still an incredible, unimaginable amount of money. 

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

:rofl:People actually think he has all this money.

Indeed. His worth is mostly calculated from the value of the shares he has in Tesla, SpaceX, etc. 

dobmisterdobster
17 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

20221227_223300.jpg

Said rantings were about Elon becoming the President of an Independent Texas. Elon responded with emojis and called it an "epic thread".

I'm not going to dunk on you for missing the obvious sarcasm because that would be low hanging fruit.

Critical thinking and basic reading comprehension is not something people seem to have anymore and that's kinda sad.

dobmisterdobster
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

:rofl:People actually think he has all this money.

5 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Indeed. His worth is mostly calculated from the value of the shares he has in Tesla, SpaceX, etc. 

You think billionaires keep their assets in cash like some council estate valium dealer? Are you serious?

Just now, dobmisterdobster said:

You think billionaires keep their assets in cash like some council estate valium dealer? Are you serious?

Of course not. But then if his Tesla shares crash like they are, then his worth can swiftly decrease. Like anyone whose worth is tied up in valuations of companies, it can reduce quickly if things go wrong. He's still going to have many millions of times more than just about anyone else of course.

Dennis Reynolds
31 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Whooooooooosh 

I'll rephrase that then for folk that don't want me to quote a response. 

Tesla could crash massively and he'll still have many billions more than any of us mugs. Waste of time even watching it imo. Bit boring. 

Shooter McGavin
43 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Tesla could crash massively and he'll still have many billions more than any of us mugs. Waste of time even watching it imo. Bit boring. 

This.

From the start I suspected he’s buying Twitter as a d*** swinging exercise, a bit of a laugh, “look at me, I just bought Twitter!” kind of thing, to show off to his cult like followers.

He’s not really done anything that’s changed my mind much on that.

His story with PayPal, Tesla and SpaceX are extraordinary, but at the heart of it, he’s a extremely wealthy man who spends an awful lot of his time being this cult like leader to right-wing weirdos and incels.

il Duce McTarkin
8 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Tommy Robinson is back on Twitter. Sure a few folk will be moist at the news.

Good old Tommy, tells it like it is.

Jeffros Furios

Tommy Robinson JOURNALIST :rofl:

Another oddball with strange views on Covid, Ukraine and Climate Change ... or once again telling his 

easily manipulated thick followers what they want to hear 

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Tommy Robinson JOURNALIST :rofl:

Another oddball with strange views on Covid, Ukraine and Climate Change ... or once again telling his 

easily manipulated thick followers what they want to hear 

Monetizing the halfwits that follow him. 

Good old Tommy lad 😂

On 28/12/2022 at 03:24, indianajones said:

Folk know this guy can't fail right? 

All this shite happening and he's still worth over 100bn. Do people know how much money that is? It really doesn't matter if he loses half of it. It's still an incredible, unimaginable amount of money. 

On 28/12/2022 at 12:34, indianajones said:

Truly missing the point IMO. Yes he’s still (for the moment) worth over 100 billion. The point is that he’s now quite possibly worth $100 billion LESS than he was as recently as March. This kind of value inferno combined with flamboyant incompetence is highly unusual and extremely enjoyable for those of us who got tired of the “Elon the Magnificent” fanboys a long time ago.

I used to be a heavy Twitter user and while the platform has always been a mess it used to be enjoyable and informative in its own way. The fact that Musk destroyed that also adds a bit of schadenfreude, and on top of that, as a former IT systems and infrastructure guy, I’m thrilled the world is getting a lesson about what it looks like when you fire all of us and expect your website to still work normally. (Twitter went offline for millions of users last night, to which Musk tweeted, “works for me.” Dumbass.)

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?
11 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

A proper Twitter Christmas miracle :greggy:

What's with these self-proclaimed "Alpha Males" and their comedy voices?

On 29/12/2022 at 15:57, Dirk McTarkin said:

We need less systems and infrastructure guys imo.

Aaand best of luck to you with that.

Relatedly we watched Glass Onion a couple nights ago. Laughed my arse off at it but also particularly enjoyable that the Elon Musk character and the Andrew Tate character were gloriously portrayed as ridiculous doofuses.

Timely. :jjyay:

il Duce McTarkin
37 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Aaand best of luck to you with that.

Meh, monkeys can push buttons (as the majority of posts on Kickback lay testament). It'll all be run by AI soon anyway.

Watt-Zeefuik
4 hours ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Meh, monkeys can push buttons (as the majority of posts on Kickback lay testament). It'll all be run by AI soon anyway.

Out of curiosity, do you work for any sort of IT firm? One that I could sell stock short in?

il Duce McTarkin
7 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Out of curiosity, do you work for any sort of IT firm? One that I could sell stock short in?

Unemployed, mate. Working is for mugs.

• 3 weeks later...

I've deleted the app now with the latest change, the addition of the 'For You' tab which your timeline defaults to every time you open it. Absolute shite.

17 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I've deleted the app now with the latest change, the addition of the 'For You' tab which your timeline defaults to every time you open it. Absolute shite.

Yep, nothing more or less than forcing you to view adverts and "sponsored" content instead of what you want.

Elon's in panic mode because revenue is down 40%.

Wank.

17 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I read lots of people complaining about something on Twitter that I rarely encountered.  They all complained about unwanted crap (usually right-wing crap) in their timelines, while I rarely if ever saw that.  The reason was that I set my timeline to "Latest", whereas they all used the "Home" setting.  Every few weeks Twitter would switch me back to "Home", but it took me a second or two to realise it and a second or two to change it.  If you use "Latest" you see the people you follow in reverse chronological order.  If you use "Home" you get whatever the algorithm wants you to see.  The whole point of Twitter is to make you see what they want you to see.  But the whole point of using Twitter is to see what you want to see.  The company is literally the social media enemy of its users.

Anyway, at one point I had about 4,000 followers and followed about 2,500 on my "not identified" Twitter account.  Following the Musk takeover I quit posting, so my follower numbers fell away a bit, but I also cut the number of accounts I follow to about 50 or so, which makes my timeline a lot shorter and more focused,

9 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I read lots of people complaining about something on Twitter that I rarely encountered.  They all complained about unwanted crap (usually right-wing crap) in their timelines, while I rarely if ever saw that.  The reason was that I set my timeline to "Latest", whereas they all used the "Home" setting.  Every few weeks Twitter would switch me back to "Home", but it took me a second or two to realise it and a second or two to change it.  If you use "Latest" you see the people you follow in reverse chronological order.  If you use "Home" you get whatever the algorithm wants you to see.  The whole point of Twitter is to make you see what they want you to see.  But the whole point of using Twitter is to see what you want to see.  The company is literally the social media enemy of its users.

Anyway, at one point I had about 4,000 followers and followed about 2,500 on my "not identified" Twitter account.  Following the Musk takeover I quit posting, so my follower numbers fell away a bit, but I also cut the number of accounts I follow to about 50 or so, which makes my timeline a lot shorter and more focused,

Yes, I've been using 'Latest' for months however, they released a new update on Android yesterday (apparently it has been on iOS for a week or so already) which took away the Home and Latest and replaced it with For You and something else. It now defaults to For You every time you open the app, so you have to remember to change it every time. It's just an unnecessary pain so I won't be using it anymore.

17 hours ago, Cade said:

Yep, nothing more or less than forcing you to view adverts and "sponsored" content instead of what you want.

Elon's in panic mode because revenue is down 40%.

Wank.

This has been the plan for ages, in week 1 or 2 he had a meeting with Major advertisers where he told them the plan was to put advertisers and paid accounts at the top, that you'll have to scroll really far too see "unofficial" content.

I read an interview with one of the guys in the meeting, he reckoned Elon doesn't understand what Twitter is, he only sees it from his perspective - important man tweets, millions of people pay attention. He thinks that's why everyone's there, to listen, when really the majority are on broadcast, just like him.

Edited by Smithee

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Musk rumoured to be an interested party in buying Man Utd. 

:D That could be mayhem.

On 14/02/2023 at 02:57, Lord BJ said:

Okay that could be fabulous popcorn viewing.

Meanwhile, a textbook way to broadcast that you are F R A G I LE  . . .

On 14/02/2023 at 07:57, Lord BJ said:

😆 I'd rather have Saudi blood money!

16 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Okay that could be fabulous popcorn viewing.

Meanwhile, a textbook way to broadcast that you are F R A G I LE  . . .

He doesn't understand Twitter, he genuinely thinks it's something people use to see what the top boys are up to. He held a big meeting with advertisers to tell them that's the direction they're going in, paid and important users first, the things and people you like, way down the page.

The idea that his every thought isn't fascinating is crazy talk to him I reckon.

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

He doesn't understand Twitter, he genuinely thinks it's something people use to see what the top boys are up to. He held a big meeting with advertisers to tell them that's the direction they're going in, paid and important users first, the things and people you like, way down the page.

The idea that his every thought isn't fascinating is crazy talk to him I reckon.

I'm sure he's still got his best engineers trying to sort out why after he cut the bot accounts, his own follower count dropped by more than half.

The headlines I'm seeing are calling it "dangerous," which I suppose is a decent shorthand for "shite half-baked technology that's so far from working properly that it should be shelved for good and the company subject to class action lawsuit." Fair, my version doesn't fit in a headline very well.

• 3 weeks later...
Watt-Zeefuik

Two major outages a month apart now, because they've hollowed out testing, QA, and operations so much that they can't test basic deployments before they go live, so the whole thing teeters and collapses for several hours.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/03/06/elon-musk-twitter-outages/

Musk's response: "The whole code stack needs a rewrite." :rofl:

They are so ****ed.

• 3 weeks later...
Dennis Reynolds

Reads like things aren't going the way he expected. Shame.

I'm certainly using it less and less. Farage was on my for you page earlier. 

1 minute ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Reads like things aren't going the way he expected. Shame.

I'm certainly using it less and less. Farage was on my for you page earlier. 

Very literal cash for votes.