Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts

mickycameron98

Just now, XB52 said:

You said they hadn't qualified for Europe then in the next post want all our Qualifiers to get into the group stages. 

Nothing wrong with what I said. They are in the qualifiers. To qualify for the tournament. After they qualify for the tournament then they are in Europe.

Its a small club mindset to consider the qualifier as part of the main tournament. Man City wouldn’t be claiming they played in Europe if they got papped out in July. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

• hughesie27

But I respect your opinions and can see your side. Happy to disagree. For me, the qualifiers are a tournament to get into the real tournament. For you, they are the same thing. Insignificant details in the grand scheme.

Back to my original point… it would be great to see Scotland getting more automatic group stage places.

3 minutes ago, Dayman said:

But I respect your opinions and can see your side. Happy to disagree. For me, the qualifiers are a tournament to get into the real tournament. For you, they are the same thing. Insignificant details in the grand scheme.

Back to my original point… it would be great to see Scotland getting more automatic group stage places.

So we only have 1 team in Europe this season and that's celtic. 

2 minutes ago, XB52 said:

As it stands, only 1 team is in the actual tournament.

Like the Euros or World Cup. There are obviously more qualifying matches over a longer timeframe, but playing in the qualifiers isn't playing in the World Cup. 

Or is it?

37 minutes ago, XB52 said:

3(2 awaiting to find out which tournament they will be in)

Possible if others if they qualify, which they are currently attempting. 

32 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Like the Euros or World Cup. There are obviously more qualifying matches over a longer timeframe, but playing in the qualifiers isn't playing in the World Cup. 

Or is it?

Yeah exactly. Just because “World Cup” is in the name of the tournament called “World Cup Qualifiers” doesn’t mean you played in the World Cup.

FarmerTweedy
1 hour ago, SUTOL said:

Or is it?

It's not actually the same thing. The world cup is a distinct tournament with 32 entries (at the moment). Those entries are split between the different confederations of FIFA in varying numbers, with some for hosts (and maybe holders, can't remember). The confederations hold their own qualifying tournaments to decide which of their member countries get the places in the World Cup. 

The UEFA tournaments start with a number of rounds called "preliminary", "qualifying" or "playoff", but those rounds are parts of the competitions. They may not be regarded as the "main" parts of the competitions, but they're parts of them anyway.  Qualifying is decided by the outcomes of domestic competitions in the various UEFA member countries. 

1 hour ago, Dayman said:

3(2 awaiting to find out which tournament they will be in)

Possible if others if they qualify, which they are currently attempting. 

Yeah exactly. Just because “World Cup” is in the name of the tournament called “World Cup Qualifiers” doesn’t mean you played in the World Cup.

😊😊. Last post on this totally nonsensical argument. 5 Scottish teams qualified to play in Europe at the end of last season. 

Just watched Footy Adventures on YT and the guy had to leave 10 mins before end as a certain section of well fans did not make him feel welcome, utter nut jobs.

Edited by Turkishcap

Cory McNamara
12 hours ago, Largo said:

I think you could add Killie to the competition for Euro places .

I think it's too early to even think about this. Right now they are confident in what they're doing. Good results are all over the place. McInnes, McGowan, Robinson, Power will help them to be stronger. Good & well-hearted team.

Only our positive thinking can help Motherwell at this point. 

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

A debate on what qualifying for Europe means

Semantics

Brutal reading

Indeed. Being in a qualifying or whatever round means you generally play a European team with both legs in Europe. 

I'm in the "Qualifiers don't really count" group.

Except when referring to the 2006/2007 Champions League. Then they definitely counted. 

Another round of fixtures tonight and tomorrow in the CL qualifiers. By tomorrow night our list of possible opponents will be down to 12 losers and 2 who qualified by another route, with Q3 of the Europa league played between those teams next and taking us down to 7.

Next Tuesday we will know our possible 2 opponents who have to play each other before the winner plays us

Edited by JimmyCant

Heartsmad1874
33 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Another round of fixtures tonight and tomorrow in the CL qualifiers. By tomorrow night our list of possible opponents will be down to 12 losers and 2 who qualified by another route, with Q3 of the Europa league played between those teams next and taking us down to 7.

Next Tuesday we will know our possible 2 opponents who have to play each other before the winner plays us

Indeed. 6 matches on tonight, hoping Zagreb can do the business away to Shkupi.

33 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Indeed. 6 matches on tonight, hoping Zagreb can do the business away to Shkupi.

Rock and a hard place on that one Shkupi isn’t that easy a trip but probably Zagreb is one to avoid competition wise

Heartsmad1874
8 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

HJK(Finland) look down and out against Plzen(Czech)

3 of the 7 fixtures for Europa will be certain by tonight.

Helsinki are done. 2-0 down away at Plzen.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

25 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

HJK(Finland) look down and out against Plzen(Czech)

Yep, can rule out a trip to Czechia.

Just now, Swelljambo said:

We can still get Slovacko

Good point, I just saw the name and made a pretty poor assumption about where they were from 😂

3 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

Good point, I just saw the name and made a pretty poor assumption about where they were from 😂

Yeah I did similar as well 😂 Czechia would be a great away day so would love to get them but they'll have a tough draw against Dynamo Kiev or Fenerbahce.

ET between Larnaca and Midjyland

Pyunik go 2-0 down on agg and now pull one back

Edited by JimmyCant

Heartsmad1874

Midtjylland are through on pens. AEK Larnaca drop to Europa League, League Path and will play Partizan.

That becomes our first potential confirmed opponent

AEK Larnaca/Partizan FK

Larnaca to play Partizan Belgrade. Think I’m right in saying the chances of us getting them or Fenerbache/Dynamo Kiev v Slovacko are higher since this lot are in pot 4. Pot 1 draws teams from Pot 4 first and then it moves onto Pot 3? 

Ricardo Quaresma
3 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Midtjylland are through on pens. AEK Larnaca drop to Europa League, League Path and will play Partizan.

That becomes our first potential confirmed opponent

AEK Larnaca/Parti FK

Partizan will skelp them; really don't want this draw 😄

The Hogfather
2 minutes ago, FionaHmfc said:

Larnaca to play Partizan Belgrade. Think I’m right in saying the chances of us getting them or Fenerbache/Dynamo Kiev v Slovacko are higher since this lot are in pot 4. Pot 1 draws teams from Pot 4 first and then it moves onto Pot 3? 

That's right. Pot one will be drawn against 4 first, then 3 after the two teams are accounted for.

3 minutes ago, FionaHmfc said:

So the chances are surely higher

of getting a pot 3 team, since there are 5 of those and only 2 in pot 4

Just now, JimmyCant said:

So the chances are surely higher

of getting a pot 3 team, since there are 5 of those and only 2 in pot 4

I think Pot 4 gets drawn first so the chances of us getting them are higher. Once the 2 teams from Pot 4 are drawn against Pot 1 then it moves onto Pot 3 

5 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Partizan will skelp them; really don't want this draw 😄

Don’t fancy Belgrade at all. Looks a right pain to get to and quite expensive aswell. Plus the locals aren’t too friendly with away fans 😂 

Ricardo Quaresma
1 minute ago, FionaHmfc said:

Don’t fancy Belgrade at all. Looks a right pain to get to and quite expensive aswell. Plus the locals aren’t too friendly with away fans 😂 

That's right, their fans are mental; very partisan, you might say 😄

3 minutes ago, FionaHmfc said:

I think Pot 4 gets drawn first so the chances of us getting them are higher. Once the 2 teams from Pot 4 are drawn against Pot 1 then it moves onto Pot 3 

Why does those teams getting drawn first make the chances higher?

10 minutes ago, FionaHmfc said:

Sorry I’m not seeing your logic there but fair enough. I must be missing something in the maths probabilities

Edited by JimmyCant

Heartsmad1874

2 out of 7 teams of Priority One are drawn against the only 2 teams in Priority Four. The remaining  5 Priority One teams drawn against the 5 in Priority Three. Then the 6 teams in Priority Two are drawn against each other.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

Just now, JimmyCant said:

Sorry I’m not seeing your logic there but fair enough

So we are in Pot 1. Partizan/Larnaca and Kiev/Fenerbache/Slavacko are Pot 4. Pot 4 gets drawn first again Pot 1. So those 2 teams get drawn first. So we are more likely to be drawn again these 2 considering they are first up. Once these ties are drawn then it goes to Pot 3 v remaining Pot 1 teams

So we are in Pot 1. Partizan/Larnaca and Kiev/Fenerbache/Slavacko are Pot 4. Pot 4 gets drawn first again Pot 1. So those 2 teams get drawn first. So we are more likely to be drawn again these 2 considering they are first up. Once these ties are drawn then it goes to Pot 3 v remaining Pot 1 teams

But what if we're not first up?  We could be the 7th Priority 1 team out the hat?

Not that any of this matters 😂 but I don't think we've any higher chance of getting them over the priority 3 sides

Heartsmad1874

We definitely have a higher chance of playing those in Priority Three. Only 2 from 7 will be drawn against Pot 4 teams where as 5 will be drawn against Pot 3 teams. 

Just now, FionaHmfc said:

That's not how probability works. We aren't any more likely to be drawn in the first two 'dips' into the hat as the remaining five.

Each team in P3 and P4 will have an equal 1 in 7 chance of drawing us.

9 minutes ago, FionaHmfc said:

Okay let’s try this

pot 4 team comes out first and we have a 14% chance of getting them. Meaning 86% we won’t.

The second pot 4 team comes out and we have a 16% of it being us and an 84% chance if it not being us

Then the 5 pot 3 teams come out and the chance of us getting any one of those is now 100%.

Overall, before the draw starts we have a 71% chance of a pot 3 team and a 29% chance of a pot 4 team

Edited by JimmyCant

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

That's not how probability works. We aren't any more likely to be drawn in the first two 'dips' into the hat as the remaining five.

Each team in P3 and P4 will have an equal 1 in 7 chance of drawing us.

Correct. 

Heartsmad1874
Just now, davemclaren said:

Is that good or bad? 🤷‍♂️😄

Both pretty 50/50 between these two. Just hope we don't draw them 😂

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts