Tynecastle Park Hotel ( updated )

Thomaso

5 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

See what the cruise ship schedule is arriving in Edinburgh over the summer……there’s never enough tour operators to pick up passengers……..up here at Invergordon (first ship arrives 5 April)…..5000 passengers and about 20 coaches to take them around…..that leaves about 4000 wandering about with nothing to do 😁

That is what I would have thought to be honest I keep reading that UK staycations are more popular than ever and our usual holiday abroad has been that these last two years ourselves 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• highlandjambo3

• davemclaren

• Bazzas right boot

20 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Needs a "dream weekend" package. Weekend accommodation? Hospitality and match day ticket.  At a decent price I'd be all over it like a hobo on his sister

Stuff like that would sell especially to fans that live far away and don't get to games much. Could name all the rooms after players, I've always wanted to be inside rudi 😀 a small hotel is well worth the risk.

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

That is what I would have thought to be honest I keep reading that UK staycations are more popular than ever and our usual holiday abroad has been that these last two years ourselves 

Been abroad 4 times during the pandemic. 

download (23).jpeg

And Blackpool once.... 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Been abroad 4 times during the pandemic. 

download (23).jpeg

And Blackpool once.... 

I have young kids mate it is not worth the hassle really

Watt-Zeefuik

I'd be thrilled to stay in Tynecastle on a visit to Edinburgh, and with the top floor restaurant I imagine I could even talk the spouse into doing it so long as it's not match day. Would be fun for the kids to stay in a football stadium.

I keep hearing about Edinburgh's housing crisis driven by ordinary housing turned into holiday lets. The last time I was through I had a miserable time finding a room. Ended up in a bedroom in a converted house outside of Falkirk. I have no clue how the finances work out for the club but it's at the very least a social need for Edinburgh.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I have young kids mate it is not worth the hassle really

I have one, not too bad. 

The wife played the covid game well,, I couldn't be arsed but she kept rebooking, getting the upgrades and we got away during the periods where the rules relaxed. 

Quite a, bit effort Tbh.... 

She kept telling me. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

I have one, not too bad. 

The wife played the covid game well,, I couldn't be arsed but she kept rebooking, getting the upgrades and we got away during the periods where the rules relaxed. 

She kept telling me. 

Youngest would not wear a mask on a plane 

TyphoonJambo
16 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

Stuff like that would sell especially to fans that live far away and don't get to games much. Could name all the rooms after players, I've always wanted to be inside rudi 😀 a small hotel is well worth the risk.

Who's scored the most own goals? I like the idea of the " every holes a goal" suite.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
6 hours ago, davemclaren said:

We do but running a hotel is different from catering. Anyway, we’ll see if this is happening if and when they apply for planning permission. 

There will be lots of pre-application discussion with the council and perhaps even a formal pre-application, to have possiblity properly assessed, I'm sure.

They'd (we'd?) be very rash to go straight to a planning application without getting this level of professional guidance.

5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I would suggest that the funding is in place, and that the club wouldn't go ahead if they didn't believe it was a goer. Life and travel will firmly be back to normal by the Summer of 2023 imho.

We will get a far greater taste of how busy Edinburgh is going to be in July/August this year. 

Going by the numbers that pile into Waverley station(even now) from a Thursday for weekend stays, then I would say, Edinburgh is more than holding it's own.

We're back up to 80% occupancy at my work now for during the week and about 90-95% for weekends. Almost 200 rooms. Things will be back to normal pretty soon. 

1 hour ago, TypoonJambo said:

Who's scored the most own goals? I like the idea of the " every holes a goal" suite.

Bound to Berra it seemed like he scored a own goal every week at one point.

2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I have one, not too bad. 

She kept telling me. 

Feel sorry for her to be honest.

FarmerTweedy
On 25/03/2022 at 15:57, DETTY29 said:

Glenn Whelan and his family swanned around the Caledonian.

Vlad used the Balmoral.

I'm trying to remember which one Ruud Gullit used!

FarmerTweedy
On 25/03/2022 at 17:52, kingantti1874 said:

Time will tell.  Price it competitively and we will make money.

there is zero risk because at the present time that floor makes nothing 

There is risk with any development of that floor, whatever goes in there would cost money to kit out and money to run. It will have to bring in enough money to cover the running costs and also provide a worthwhile return on the investment to set it up.

FarmerTweedy
On 25/03/2022 at 17:57, Bazzas right boot said:

It's not an entire hotel from scratch costing £10's of millions tho. 

It's kitting out empty space we already have. 

Be  a small one with matchday and 

Probably hospitality catering for weddings and such as well as the festival / rugby Internationals in mind. 

We aren't building a hotel, be a very small number of rooms. 

I'll be honest, I've been more than a little sceptical of the idea of a small hotel operation at Tynecastle since it was first rumoured on jkb.  The more I think about it, however, the more I start to see the potential for success not just in terms of the room rentals alone, but as others have said, also in terms of the cross-trade with the restaurant and the 1874 bar, but maybe more significantly, the potential to boost the attractiveness of Tynecastle as a venue for weddings, conferences and other big functions. I imagine it would be more appealing as a wedding venue for instance if, at the end of the evening do, the main wedding party members are able to head to hotel rooms in the building rather than having to all pour into taxis or whatever to head off elsewhere.  Likewise, if a company is running a two or three day conference, onside accommodation for the delegates (or at least the senior ones!) would probably be a draw!

the general
11 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Thanks for all the insults because I dared to express an opinion. Trouble is I am old enough to remember the launch of the old social club/bar/cabaret venue which was supposed to be a money spinner. We will see.

Oh come on ...not even comparable in any way.

FarmerTweedy
On 25/03/2022 at 19:30, Francis Albert said:

I am not sure what the attractions of Haymarket are. Or Fountain Park for someone paying for a hotel. It is within striking distance ( for the few who don't find a 30 plus minute walk daunting) of the city centre but there are a huge number of hotel rooms many pretty cheap and much closer.

The conference and meeting rooms idea seemed to me half baked given that Murrayfied could offer more and with lots of parking.

This seems more odd. 

Why did we spend money on something we did not know what to do with?

Firstly, when the project started, there were plans for that floor, but during construction it was decided that the original intention (pretty much just more matchday hospitality space IIRC) was probably not the best way to go. Secondly, there were plans a couple of years or so ago, but there was a little-known issue with a wee virus or something that put things up in the air! Thirdly, even if there hadn't been a specific plan at the time of building the stand, so what? As long as there was a view that the space could be put to a productive use in the future, why wouldn't we have built it? If we hadn't, the Skyline restaurant would have been a floor lower down and had to be called the High School View restaurant or something, and the current plan (which the club obviously thinks will make money or they wouldn't be doing it) wouldn't be an option as there wouldn't be anywhere to put it.

P.S. the comment about Murrayfield makes no sense. It's basically saying nowhere should offer any sort of facilities if there's anywhere else at all that does, or even could, offer something similar.  Even if Murrayfield did something similar, there's no reason why both Tynecastle and Murrayfield couldn't make a success of it.  It's an utterly bizarre point to make.

On 25/03/2022 at 13:22, sac said:

Heart-shaped jacuzzi baths are a must, with TV’s playing famous victories on a loop.😀

Maroon crushed velvet fittings 

I’m really excited by this. Could be an excellent wee earner for the club. I wonder what the pricing will be? 

Hopefully it’s a roaring success. With how crap prize money is domestically, having these sorts of alternative revenue streams could be huge for the club! 

With the (potential of) conference league cash, the new stand and now this, it’s bloody brilliant to see! The club are really going in the right direction! 😁

FarmerTweedy
On 25/03/2022 at 19:50, DH1986 said:

There are probably 10 gyms within a 2 or 3 mile radius of Tynecastle….take the Hearts supporters from those gyms to a Tynecastle Gym and it will be a busy place.

We can offer something different….a change of venue instead of the same old place each time. Plus….if you’re a Hearts supporter you’d rather bowl at Tynecastle than Chester.

There are probably a few who would find Chester more convenient but it's a hell of a trek for most of us for a game of bowling!  :D

FarmerTweedy
11 hours ago, Sooks said:

I think when Johnstone sold Kilmarnock he kept the hotel and I think it was more an events space at St Johnstone but they capitalised on the crematorium next to it

I've heard on multiple occasions that St Johnstone do a roaring trade in hosting wakes, post-funeral teas and buns, whatever you want to call it, during the week, as the location of the ground so close to the crematorium, with little if anything else nearby, makes it an obvious easy venue to use.  There's probably more folk that go to McDairmid Park for a wake than for a football match in any year!

6 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I've heard on multiple occasions that St Johnstone do a roaring trade in hosting wakes, post-funeral teas and buns, whatever you want to call it, during the week, as the location of the ground so close to the crematorium, with little if anything else nearby, makes it an obvious easy venue to use.  There's probably more folk that go to McDairmid Park for a wake than for a football match in any year!

Yes that is what I thought too

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I'll be honest, I've been more than a little sceptical of the idea of a small hotel operation at Tynecastle since it was first rumoured on jkb.  The more I think about it, however, the more I start to see the potential for success not just in terms of the room rentals alone, but as others have said, also in terms of the cross-trade with the restaurant and the 1874 bar, but maybe more significantly, the potential to boost the attractiveness of Tynecastle as a venue for weddings, conferences and other big functions. I imagine it would be more appealing as a wedding venue for instance if, at the end of the evening do, the main wedding party members are able to head to hotel rooms in the building rather than having to all pour into taxis or whatever to head off elsewhere.  Likewise, if a company is running a two or three day conference, onside accommodation for the delegates (or at least the senior ones!) would probably be a draw!

Common sense.

tynietigers
1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Hearts all ready do funerals and weddings 6/7 days a week 👍🏻 In fact they have a wedding on monday for 120 

tynietigers
2 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Exactly this 👍🏻

Francis Albert
11 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Firstly, when the project started, there were plans for that floor, but during construction it was decided that the original intention (pretty much just more matchday hospitality space IIRC) was probably not the best way to go. Secondly, there were plans a couple of years or so ago, but there was a little-known issue with a wee virus or something that put things up in the air! Thirdly, even if there hadn't been a specific plan at the time of building the stand, so what? As long as there was a view that the space could be put to a productive use in the future, why wouldn't we have built it? If we hadn't, the Skyline restaurant would have been a floor lower down and had to be called the High School View restaurant or something, and the current plan (which the club obviously thinks will make money or they wouldn't be doing it) wouldn't be an option as there wouldn't be anywhere to put it.

P.S. the comment about Murrayfield makes no sense. It's basically saying nowhere should offer any sort of facilities if there's anywhere else at all that does, or even could, offer something similar.  Even if Murrayfield did something similar, there's no reason why both Tynecastle and Murrayfield couldn't make a success of it.  It's an utterly bizarre point to make.

Firstly the general consensus seems to be that the space was originally intended to be for offices for the club but instead the temporary offices under the Wheatfield are being used. Very sensible.

Secondly the Skyline Restaurant does have a view of the High School. Not as originally envisioned of Edinburgh Castle.

Thirdly the Murrayfield comment referred to the earlier plan to use the space for meeting rooms and conferences. 

I hope the hotel makes lots of money.

We will see.

If and when the accounts tell us.

You can be assured that Budge and Anderson will have ensured that the numbers will have been well and truly crunched in terms of fit out cost and likely revenue.

There is no cost increase risk here as with building a whole new stand structure from scratch. The structure is there with electrics and water supply so we are basically talking about a fit out with new walls/partitions and wiring/plumbing, and decoration.

As such the Club will be able to go out to tender from fit-out contractors for a fixed price/fixed programme.

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

You can be assured that Budge and Anderson will have ensured that the numbers will have been well and truly crunched in terms of fit out cost and likely revenue.

There is no cost increase risk here as with building a whole new stand structure from scratch. The structure is there with electrics and water supply so we are basically talking about a fit out with new walls/partitions and wiring/plumbing, and decoration.

As such the Club will be able to go out to tender from fit-out contractors for a fixed price/fixed programme.

Yip, all very low risk. 

Destination bar with night club/live music would be a far more lucrative revenue source than a dozen hotel rooms and you’d only need to run it 4 nights a week

16 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Destination bar with night club/live music would be a far more lucrative revenue source than a dozen hotel rooms and you’d only need to run it 4 nights a week

I'm hoping that you're jesting. 😄

20 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

A night club on Gorgie Road is just about the most doomed to failure idea I could come up with if I tried

22 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

A destination bar……in Gorgie…..🤣

18 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

A destination bar……in Gorgie…..🤣

There’s one in Chesser doing very well for itself thank you very much

42 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Stick to the day job 🤣🤣🤣

21 minutes ago, Sooks said:

A night club on Gorgie Road is just about the most doomed to failure idea I could come up with if I tried

Do you know what is meant by a destination venue aye ?

A Gorgie Main Stand Night Club ... just picture the scene:-

Bouncers, Stag/Hen-Parties, broken windaes, puking up all over the Plaza, broken glass everywhere, noise, fights, the residual stench of booze, sticky flooring, and so-on, and so forth.

Aye, right. 😁

Howdy Doody Jambo

If the club spent a £million to convert the top level into a hotel with added running costs, staff, power, maintenance, etc How long would it take to make a profit from this area? 

11 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

A Gorgie Main Stand Night Club ... just picture the scene:-

Bouncers, Stag/Hen-Parties, broken windaes, puking up all over the Plaza, broken glass everywhere, noise, fights, the residual stench of booze, sticky flooring, and so-on, and so forth.

Aye, right. 😁

Is that the only kind of night club there is in your head ?

3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Is that the only kind of night club there is in your head ?

Just hire Dave Spikey and we'll be sorted. 👍

9 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

If the club spent a £million to convert the top level into a hotel with added running costs, staff, power, maintenance, etc How long would it take to make a profit from this area? 

Best case 12 rooms at 75% occupancy 365 nights at £100 a night after VAT and servicing costs is just over £300k a year. Deduct half that for staff and maintenance and equipment and you have £150k profit, so around 6 years before it pays for itself then you have to refurbish it

Edited by JimmyCant

Howdy Doody Jambo
15 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Best case 12 rooms at 75% occupancy 365 nights at £100 a night after VAT and servicing costs is just over £300k a year. Deduct half that for staff and maintenance and equipment and you have £150k profit, so around 6 years before it pays for itself then you have to refurbish it

Thanks, does make you wonder if it is worth it, should just rent it out to Travelodge, The Waldorf, Trump, or some hotel chain and let them pay us and take up the running costs 

• davemclaren changed the title to Tynecastle Park Hotel ( updated )