• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

Bannan is a player, similar build and style to Barry McKay. Watched him earlier in the season at Wimbledon, best player on the field and such brilliant distribution. Don’t know the money situation but playing in Europe rather than against Cheltenham in League one has to be more attractive.

If we're looking for a midfielder we should try and get Dylan Levitt he's looked great for Dundee United and I'm fairly certain his contract with Manchester United is up in the summer. If we're looking and young players we can make a hefty profit on we should also be looking at Lewis Neilson and Jamie Hamilton. Both are young centrebacks that have looked decent. 

BackOfTheNet
35 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Paterson is a must if available. Bannan, undoubtedly a good player but just don't see him fitting in to squad and club.  Would need to cleanse his social media for a start, weekly posts about his Celtic..

Paterson, again, showed tonight that he is now shite. Just no. Bannan is a great player, but I hope it we are going for players turning 33 in the next season they’d be better quality or value for money. So it’s a no to both for me.

35 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Paterson is a must if available. 

Yeah, I'd like him back too. Wealth of experience and can play a number of positions. 

I had a quick look on the Sheffield Wednesday forum and it doesn't look like they're too keen on him. A few posters calling him a 'binman', I'm not really sure what that means, but doesn't sound complimentary :D 

Ccjambo1874

Wouldn't be surprised if Paterson or Lee Wallace were signed. Helps us with the home grown squad ruling for Europe I'm sure as we need 4 via our own youth system and an overall 8 from squads within Scotland which I think we have some of in Halkett, Kingsley, Halliday, GMS, McKay from the current eligible squad. Currently we only really have Craig Gordon and arguably Henderson at a push, plus any youths we include in the squad from our own system. Wallace wouldn't be terrible as cover for Kingsley at LCB and even LB if required. Providing neither required massive wages they could be good squad players and Paterson a good utility player.

Edited by Ccjambo1874
Uefa

4 minutes ago, OTT said:

Yeah, I'd like him back too. Wealth of experience and can play a number of positions. 

I had a quick look on the Sheffield Wednesday forum and it doesn't look like they're too keen on him. A few posters calling him a 'binman', I'm not really sure what that means, but doesn't sound complimentary :D 

Not sure about that these days tbh

If Paterson played out wide or at full back in his current form he’d look like he’s towing a caravan

3 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Not sure about that these days tbh

If Paterson played out wide or at full back in his current form he’d look like he’s towing a caravan

I was thinking more as a forward player. If we're putting crosses into the box, I'd want his head on the end of them. 

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

Norwich fans weren’t impressed by him. Should have been a standout in that team. 

Billy Gilmour is the best Scottish midfielder in 30 years. Norwich were absolute dogshit and preferred a team of scrappers.  Terrible move for him but an unbelievable player.

he won’t be anywhere near Hearts sadly

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Gary Locke said:

Whats peoples thoughts about barry bannan, if sheff wed don’t go up he might fancy a crack in scotland with a european tour 

Is he not about 40 

BackOfTheNet
11 minutes ago, Ccjambo1874 said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Paterson or Lee Wallace were signed. Helps us with the home grown squad ruling for Europe I'm sure as we need 4 via our own youth system and an overall 8 from squads within Scotland which I think we have some of in Halkett, Kingsley, Halliday, GMS, McKay from the current eligible squad. Currently we only really have Craig Gordon and arguably Henderson at a push, plus any youths we include in the squad from our own system. Wallace wouldn't be terrible as cover for Kingsley at LCB and even LB if required. Providing neither required massive wages they could be good squad players and Paterson a good utility player.

Although the European squad rules are a tricky one. Paterson and Wallace? Christ no. Just… no.

All roads lead to Gorgie
22 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Is he not about 40 

Is he not knee high to Shaun Maloney as well😀

Batistuta87
28 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Although the European squad rules are a tricky one. Paterson and Wallace? Christ no. Just… no.

Not convinced we need to worry about the home grown rule with Gordon, Stewart, Halkett, Kingsley, Halliday, McKay, GMS and all the young lads (+ Shankland/Forrest if applicable) - and if it's homegrown in the UK Ginnelly and Smith too. But Lee Wallace lol.

If we're signing a third (fourth?) choice home grown LB to sit on the bench and maybe play a few cup games then I'd rather have Tanser or McMillan. There are so many more useful players out there including some who are already Hearts players out on loan.

Edited by Batistuta87

SM Sheffield

Bannan is on c£20k a week would cost a fee to buy and he has a year left of his deal. He loves it in Sheffield and unless Wednesday are forced to sell he won’t be going anywhere. Well out of our range and not the sort of signing Hearts should be making in any case 

JimmyCant
17 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Not convinced we need to worry about the home grown rule with Gordon, Stewart, Halkett, Kingsley, Halliday, McKay, GMS and all the young lads (+ Shankland/Forrest if applicable) - and if it's homegrown in the UK Ginnelly and Smith too. But Lee Wallace lol.

If we're signing a third (fourth?) choice home grown LB to sit on the bench and maybe play a few cup games then I'd rather have Tanser or McMillan. There are so many more useful players out there including some who are already Hearts players out on loan.

Homegrown in Scotland we are fine for. Home grown at Hearts is where we’re struggling a bit (4 of the 8 have to be homegrown by the club) I think only Gordon in the first team squad qualifies for that segment

Bazzas right boot

2 hours ago, Gary Locke said:

Whats peoples thoughts about barry bannan, if sheff wed don’t go up he might fancy a crack in scotland with a european tour 

I think he could be a possibility, but he's on stupid money. 

I think he'd have a similar impact as McKay. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot
Too old and he's sorted down there.

FGJambo51
6 minutes ago, Thumb Up Emoji said:

Australian winger 

Marco Tilio or Nick D'Agostino please🙏

4 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Its a good point. 

Had a look at the Aberdeen team, they have a squad of 23 players. Two players are on loan, five more are out of contract. If you add Ramsay then thats 8 players gone already. Of the remaining 15, 6 of them are in their 30s. It also wouldn't surprise me if Lewis Ferguson was sold in the summer (though that would mean more money in.) 

So they would need a major rebuild so as you say the money would be spread a lot thinner than we need with our money.

Goodwin in his post match interview at the weekend basically said that his starting line up was players that would still be there next season and that 6 of the players who were on the bench wouldn't be.

They definitely need a major rebuild, but a lot depends on how good their recruitment is and who ultimately makes the recruitment decisions.  Will Goodwin have the final say or will it be down to Cormack and his data?

The same applies to Hibs, will it be the new manager or the transfer committee that has the final say on signings?

J.T.F.Robertson
2 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Wrong quote.  🙂

Edited by J.T.F.Robertson

J.T.F.Robertson
2 hours ago, SM Sheffield said:

Bannan is on c£20k a week would cost a fee to buy and he has a year left of his deal. He loves it in Sheffield and unless Wednesday are forced to sell he won’t be going anywhere. Well out of our range and not the sort of signing Hearts should be making in any case 

Sense. 👍 (correct quote)

I liked that Fuchs who was at Dundee United and thought he would have made an ideal replacement for if Baningime had got injured allowing us to still play the same way …………. I expect he will be on a long term contract where ever he moved to though

4 hours ago, RobNox said:

Goodwin in his post match interview at the weekend basically said that his starting line up was players that would still be there next season and that 6 of the players who were on the bench wouldn't be.

They definitely need a major rebuild, but a lot depends on how good their recruitment is and who ultimately makes the recruitment decisions.  Will Goodwin have the final say or will it be down to Cormack and his data?

The same applies to Hibs, will it be the new manager or the transfer committee that has the final say on signings?

Aberdeen also bring good young players through on what feels like a yearly basis

BackOfTheNet
7 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

See below

7 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Homegrown in Scotland we are fine for. Home grown at Hearts is where we’re struggling a bit (4 of the 8 have to be homegrown by the club) I think only Gordon in the first team squad qualifies for that segment

There’s really only Gordon as JC says. It means 3 spaces of the 25 man squad will have to be left blank, and we rely on youth players who’ve been at the club long enough but young enough they don’t need to be registered. (Or we register them anyway to fill the spaces) It’s a slight concern, but to be honest, the only players that I’d be okay with coming back to take one of the 3 remaining club spots would be Hickey (not gonna happen) and as a back up keeper either MacDonald / Ridgers / Hamilton as they’d be a step up on Stewart.

It’s also something to consider when people say we need a big squad to compete on all fronts. Although true, it’s difficult to dangle the carrot of European football to all new potential signings when you’re already constrained to a 22 man Euro squad as it is. If we sign the numbers we’re talking, there’s going to have to be some who will have to be left out of a European squad registration. Someone like Baningime who’s meant to be out until December will understand why he’s not being named in a squad with games up until November, but there will be guys like McEneff etc who are on the periphery and might be left out. And that can cause havoc in the dressing room, and Group stage registration only takes place after the transfer window closes. So it’s a tricky balancing act.

Dick Dastardly

I didnt think Moore would stay. No great loss. He looked decent at times but had too many mistakes in him. Lack of consistent game time wouldn't of help but just don't think he was good enough.

5 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Stone,  Pollock,Mcgill  and one other will cover our youth side.

Logan or Smith

BackOfTheNet
10 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Stone,  Pollock,Mcgill  and one other will cover our youth side.

Yes, they will. But are they good enough to help us compete in the Europa or Conference League? I don’t think they’re anywhere near it.

Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

Yes, they will. But are they good enough to help us compete in the Europa or Conference League? I don’t think they’re anywhere near it.

Unfortunately unless one of them really step up they will be squad fillers to satisfy the rules. We will run with a really tight quality squad with youth filling in the gaps. Hopefully sone of them can step up and fill in for league games when required. 

johnking123
5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Yes, but 21 players will be and will be great experience for young lads.

1 minute ago, Clark Griswold said:

Can someone paste the article here it’s behind a paywall for me 

You're missing nothing, it's just him saying it's been the highlight of his career and just because he's leaving doesn't mean he'll switch off for the final. Said Robbie is a good coach and he always gives reasons why formations change. 

Clark Griswold
1 minute ago, Sertse said:

You're missing nothing, it's just him saying it's been the highlight of his career and just because he's leaving doesn't mean he'll switch off for the final. Said Robbie is a good coach and he always gives reasons why formations change. 

Ok thank you sir! thought as much.

BackOfTheNet
15 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Unfortunately unless one of them really step up they will be squad fillers to satisfy the rules. We will run with a really tight quality squad with youth filling in the gaps. Hopefully sone of them can step up and fill in for league games when required. 

Absolutely, still, it’ll be a concern when it comes to any who are registered getting injured or suspended and we have to go up against the likes of Roma or something with Pollock in our midfield. (Promising or not)

10 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

I get that. But as above it’s still a concern when it comes to having to actually rely on them if needed. And as stated previously, squad balance and cohesion is an issue as there will be guys that can’t be registered because we have a lack of spaces, they’re not going to be happy especially if they helped us get to Europe in the first place or were signed under the ruse of playing European football. That’s why I’m not convinced we’ll sign as many players this summer as some think, and why I’m a tad underwhelmed at the names like Forrest and Shankland being touted as possibles IF we aren’t to sign many.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Tom Hardy’s Dug
15 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Henderson the 4th? He at least has some decent first team experience 

Thing is, we shouldn’t be shaping our squad for the sake of 8 games in Europe (it probably won’t be more than that) we also need to think about repeating 3rd plus the two domestic cups. Some current fringe players might miss out  on European registration, people like GMS and Mcaneff maybe, to fit incoming 1st team players in. I think we’ll sign at least 5 this summer, almost all of them identified as First 11 starters or close to it. We’ll not be signing guys to sit them on the bench (just in case)

I see some other clubs are signing players, I wonder when our first signing will be?

RN said we'll be signing players early but I'm sure he says it every window. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Thing is, we shouldn’t be shaping our squad for the sake of 8 games in Europe (it probably won’t be more than that) we also need to think about repeating 3rd plus the two domestic cups. Some current fringe players might miss out  on European registration, people like GMS and Mcaneff maybe, to fit incoming 1st team players in. I think we’ll sign at least 5 this summer, almost all of them identified as First 11 starters or close to it. We’ll not be signing guys to sit them on the bench (just in case)

We will also be moving some players on IMO and we can’t guarantee loans we want back we will get. I would imagine we’ll be looking to get Ellis and Cochrane back.

Bring realistic GMS and McEneff have shown they can add anything to our first team this season - not top 3 wuliaty I am afraid. Ginnelly marginal but worth persevering with unless we get some real top quality attackers in.

Jambo in Bathgate
2 minutes ago, Sertse said:

I see some other clubs are signing players, I wonder when our first signing will be?

We won’t sign new players or release any of our present first team squad until after the cup final. It could affect the togetherness. 

johnking123
4 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Some could be signed already. Just not announcing them yet ...

Just now, Jambo in Bathgate said:

We won’t sign new players or release any of our present first team squad until after the cup final. It could affect the togetherness. 

I did think that but it's strange that they'd be announcing Taylor-Moore leaving.

5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I think that's what will happen. Maybe a bit more than five, depending who leaves but the quality over quantity approach will continue. Can't see many (or any) squad filler types coming in.

jamboinglasgow
6 hours ago, RobNox said:

Had a look at their recruitment this season. they are some players who have done well (Ramirez) but most are at best ok. But they have had quite a few failed signings, Matty Longstaff being the key one, but outside loans three players they signed in the summer have left before the end of the season (Brown, Gurr and Jay-Emmanuel Thomas.) Though to be on honest its been like that for years, under McInnes they would sign one or two good players a year but sign tons of dross as well. 

If you compare with Hearts this season, and I would not say we have one poor signing. Some have not been as great as others but all have contributed. 

As you say Hibs have a poor level of recruitment as well. 

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

See below

There’s really only Gordon as JC says. It means 3 spaces of the 25 man squad will have to be left blank, and we rely on youth players who’ve been at the club long enough but young enough they don’t need to be registered. (Or we register them anyway to fill the spaces) It’s a slight concern, but to be honest, the only players that I’d be okay with coming back to take one of the 3 remaining club spots would be Hickey (not gonna happen) and as a back up keeper either MacDonald / Ridgers / Hamilton as they’d be a step up on Stewart.

It’s also something to consider when people say we need a big squad to compete on all fronts. Although true, it’s difficult to dangle the carrot of European football to all new potential signings when you’re already constrained to a 22 man Euro squad as it is. If we sign the numbers we’re talking, there’s going to have to be some who will have to be left out of a European squad registration. Someone like Baningime who’s meant to be out until December will understand why he’s not being named in a squad with games up until November, but there will be guys like McEneff etc who are on the periphery and might be left out. And that can cause havoc in the dressing room, and Group stage registration only takes place after the transfer window closes. So it’s a tricky balancing act.

So then we pad it out with youth. Hopefully "senior" youth if that makes sense; who would be useful in an amergency. Seems we need eight in total - four of whom need to be home grown by Hearts. That's Gordon and three young guys - basically take your pick from Henderson, Smith, Brandon, Pollock, McGill, Logan, Stone, Denholm, Flatman, Kirk etc etc - all of whom are still under contract for next season. We're more than covered 👍🏻

Edited by Batistuta87

1 minute ago, johnking123 said:

Can see Mcaneff leaving and possibly GMS.

Kind of shame about McEneff but he just doesn't fit our style of play at all. GMS hasn't performed at all, I'll be happy to see him go.

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***