*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

European football never did Gary Naysmith Craig Gordon Christophe Berra Andy Webster or Andy Kirk any harm at a young age …………. a player like Pollock might actually thrive with a bit of game time

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

jamboinglasgow
7 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Some could be signed already. Just not announcing them yet ...

Yup. Hearts have said before they dont like announcing a player on a pre-contract until that players season is up as they feel its unfair on the player's current club. If (as all the signs suggest) we have signed Alan Forrest, then I would normally say we would announce him next week, but I think with the cup final we will hold off all announcements after the cup final (including departures.) 

49 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Not a great loss, He's OK but he's it's not going to be like losing halkett or Kingsley.

6 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Can see Mcaneff leaving and possibly GMS.

I really wanted him to get a run of games in the team before the cup final. Its a shame he got injured when he did. 

6 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

So then we pad it out with youth. Hopefully "senior" youth if that makes sense; who would be useful in an amergency. Seems we need eight in total - four of whom need to be home grown by Hearts. That's Gordon and three young guys - basically take your pick from Henderson, Smith, Brandon, Pollock, McGill, Logan, Stone, Denholm, Flatman, Kirk etc etc - all of whom are still under contract for next season. We're more than covered 👍🏻

We also have a List B which you can populate with every eligible youth player you have (under 21 and trained with the club for 2 years. 3 years if they have been out on loan) you can draft those into your squad at any time

Getting covered for numbers isn’t the issue. Being able to pack enough quality options into the squad is the problem we’ll have

9 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Had a look at their recruitment this season. they are some players who have done well (Ramirez) but most are at best ok. But they have had quite a few failed signings, Matty Longstaff being the key one, but outside loans three players they signed in the summer have left before the end of the season (Brown, Gurr and Jay-Emmanuel Thomas.) Though to be on honest its been like that for years, under McInnes they would sign one or two good players a year but sign tons of dross as well. 

If you compare with Hearts this season, and I would not say we have one poor signing. Some have not been as great as others but all have contributed. 

As you say Hibs have a poor level of recruitment as well. 

This is something all Hearts supporters WANT to believe (me included) and it definitely has improved but Gnando, Kastaneer and even Woodburn certainly did not enhance the squad.

15 minutes ago, Sooks said:

European football never did Gary Naysmith Craig Gordon Christophe Berra Andy Webster or Andy Kirk any harm at a young age …………. a player like Pollock might actually thrive with a bit of game time

Were any of those chucked into European football without first establishing themselves in and around the first team ?

Pollock might have thrived with a bit of game time this season . I wouldn’t like to have to put Pollock into a big European tie and hope he thrives.

Its a bit of a paper issue anyway. keep your top 18-20 players fit and you’re never going to use the bottom end of your squad 

Edited by JimmyCant

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

He might have thrived with a bit of game time this season though. I wouldn’t like to have to put Pollok into a big European tie and hope he thrives.

Its a bit of a paper issue anyway. keep your top 18-20 players fit and you’re never going to use the bottom end of your squad 

I have not seen enough of the current boys but one or two of them might be good enough and actually shine it has been the case with previous young players at Hearts ………… I would only want to see one or two at a time though and not just put in from the start

jamboinglasgow
4 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

This is something all Hearts supporters WANT to believe (me included) and it definitely has improved but Gnando, Kastaneer and even Woodburn certainly did not enhance the squad.

I was talking about this season (after changes were made to the recruitment set up.) I would also disagree with Woodburn. He has not been the success we all hoped, but he has had some good games for us (admittedly not many) but he has been average I would say. And if that is our worst signing this season for us then we have done well in recruitment.

Bazzas right boot
27 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Thing is, we shouldn’t be shaping our squad for the sake of 8 games in Europe (it probably won’t be more than that) we also need to think about repeating 3rd plus the two domestic cups. Some current fringe players might miss out  on European registration, people like GMS and Mcaneff maybe, to fit incoming 1st team players in. I think we’ll sign at least 5 this summer, almost all of them identified as First 11 starters or close to it. We’ll not be signing guys to sit them on the bench (just in case)

Disagree Tbh. 

If we are trying to  sign good players, a  sales  pitch of " to hell with the European games we're gonna get pumped and 3rd is more important" isn't the greatest lure to do so. 

Better players that expect to play in Europe ( shop window or ambitions) will also help us  get third. 

We should definitely have an eye on Europe when building this squad with the expectation we will be there again. 

We should be using Europe as much as possible to build the squad and get that player that is better and otherwise wouldn't be interested. 

8 games is Likley, but if we manage to get in the Europa league we could then drop down to the conference and get more, so although tough we could have more than 8 games depending on the draw. 

As a side note, although it's "only" 8 games over a season, it's 8 games over 3/4 months extra, so it will be a tough 1st 1/3 rd of the season. 

indianajones
1 hour ago, Sertse said:

Cheers Taylor. 

I think the lack of consistent game time hindered him a little. 

The brain fart at the end of the semi is now very amusing. Porto hitting the ground like a bag of bricks. 

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Gnando and Kastaneer where championship signings and although falling short of expectations Woodburn has played his part this season. 

36 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

We will also be moving some players on IMO and we can’t guarantee loans we want back we will get. I would imagine we’ll be looking to get Ellis and Cochrane back.

Bring realistic GMS and McEneff have shown they can add anything to our first team this season - not top 3 wuliaty I am afraid. Ginnelly marginal but worth persevering with unless we get some real top quality attackers in.

Ellis we will need a decision on fairly quickly, certainly before pre season. If we’re not certain by then we’ll need to move on quickly to replace him, plus we need at least one other good striker 

5 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Cheers Taylor. 

The brain fart at the end of the semi is now very amusing. Porto hitting the ground like a bag of bricks. 

Good thing he couldn't hear what I was calling him when he done it, such a stupid thing to do. Pretty funny now though.

4 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Cheers Taylor. 

Can we assume from this that Souttar and/or Halkett are going to make the cup final and he’s on the bench at best or am I reading too much into the early announcement ?

Just now, JimmyCant said:

Can we assume from this that Souttar and/or Halkett are going to make the cup final and he’s on the bench at best or am I reading too much into the early announcement ?

I'm absolutely positive I read an announcement Souttar and Halkett would be fit, not sure if I'd want Souttar playing in fairness

17 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I have not seen enough of the current boys but one or two of them might be good enough and actually shine it has been the case with previous young players at Hearts ………… I would only want to see one or two at a time though and not just put in from the start

If there is one remaining criticism of Neilson it’s that he hasn’t given a single youth player meaningful minutes in 2 seasons. Not entirely his fault as we don’t have a B team or reserve league so the good ones have to go on loan but surely 2 a year being kept and getting lots of game time whenever they can wouldn’t be hard.

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, Clark Griswold said:

Ok thank you sir! thought as much.

Taylor Moore set for Hearts exit as he delivers final message on Tynecastle loan

Anticipating a final farewell to Hearts after the Scottish Cup final, Taylor Moore reflects on his most enjoyable footballing experience so far.

By Barry Anderson

Tuesday, 10th May 2022, 7:00 am

The season-long loan in Edinburgh is drawing to a close and Moore ranks it the finest time of his career. It is quite the statement from a player reared at French club Lens and who represented England Under-20s alongside parent club Bristol City.

Season 2021/22 at Tynecastle Park will live long in the memory and may yet climax at Hampden Park on May 21. Moore, 24, has enjoyed momentous Edinburgh derbies, trips to Celtic Park and Ibrox, a semi-final at the national stadium, all while helping Hearts qualify for European competition.

It is rare to see the softly-spoken Englishman without a smile on his face. He is contractually obliged to return to Bristol next month and will do so carrying a sackful of happy memories which have bettered him both as a footballer and a person.

Bottom of Form

“I could sit here all day and talk to you about it,” he says, in conversation with the Evening News. “I’ve learned as much on the pitch as off the pitch about football and about myself. Working under Robbie Neilson has been so eye-opening. The way he says the game tactically has been beneficial.

“We played so many different formations this year. Each and every time we change formation, there is an explanation why, there is a demand of what he wants from players in every single position.

“You see the way the club is run. Joe Savage [sporting director] is doing an incredible job as well. There are some good young players coming through. I’ve absolutely loved every minute of it.

“Going to Ibrox, Celtic Park and Hampden, plus Tynecastle and Easter Road – these are big games. The biggest thing is what it means to people and the passion in Scottish football. It’s been unbelievable.

“I’ve been so proud to be a part of it. I haven’t played as many games as I wanted to, however this has probably been my favourite experience in football so far.

“Living in Edinburgh taught me a lot about myself and my relationship with my Mrs – The Boss. I’ve had family come up and made some amazing memories. It has been a very special place and somewhere I will always hold close to my heart.”

Don’t misinterpret those comments as Moore zipping the suitcases shut just yet. Motivation to play in the final is building. Having waited months for a sustained run in the Hearts team, the centre-back won’t relinquish his place willingly after starting the last three matches.

Injuries to fellow defenders John Souttar, Craig Halkett and Michael Smith created voids which he was desperate to fill. That triumvirate are close to returning and Moore faces a fight to play at Hampden again. There is no shame in being selfish at a time like this.

“To a certain degree, you do have to be selfish in football,” he admits. “I am absolutely loving being in and around this team. I remember speaking to you a few weeks ago and I wasn't in the team. I was working to show the manager that, if he needed me, I’d be there.

“It’s unfortunate to see boys get injured at a crucial part of the season but we have a cup final coming up and I need to prepare myself to play. Some boys will be coming back from injury and in contention so I just need to focus on myself.

“If I am involved on the day I need to make sure I’m ready. I’m just managing myself. That’s why I was still in such a positive mood when I spoke to you a few weeks ago. Although I wasn’t playing, I knew this group of lads were all striving for a certain goal.”

Saturday’s 4-1 defeat at Celtic Park ended a ten-game unbeaten run which helped Hearts reach the final. “We did okay at certain stages of the game but you can’t really walk away after conceding four goals and say you did well,” acknowledges Moore.

“It’s one of the biggest stages in Scottish football against a team who are where they are in the league deservedly. They have an amazing amount of quality but, for me, it was a great experience.

“I felt we were still in the game up until the third goal so there is a lot to learn from, but I’ve still got a smile on my face because I’m enjoying the experience. You look at how the board and manager want to drive this club. Celtic and Rangers is the platform we need to look at but a lot of work still needs to be done.”

How Hearts compare to Rangers will become clearer after the next three games. Following Wednesday’s league trip to Motherwell, Giovanni van Bronckhorst brings his team to Tynecastle on Saturday.

The Ibrox side play Eintracht Frankfurt in the Europa League final four days later before meeting Hearts again at Hampden just three days after that. Those at Tynecastle hope the schedule takes its toll on their Glasgow counterparts.

“I felt drained after playing Celtic on Saturday. Big games like that take it out of you,” explains Moore. “Rangers will have to travel, deal with nerves, the atmosphere and the build-up to a European final. It does take it out of you as a player. You always hear Jurgen Klopp moaning about back-to-back fixtures.

“The manager told us we are being pushed from now until the end of the season. We are having some very tough days in training to make sure we are as fit as Rangers come May 21. All the best to them but that would be the ideal scenario, that they have a bit of fatigue in them.”

12 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

If there is one remaining criticism of Neilson it’s that he hasn’t given a single youth player meaningful minutes in 2 seasons. Not entirely his fault as we don’t have a B team or reserve league so the good ones have to go on loan but surely 2 a year being kept and getting lots of game time whenever they can wouldn’t be hard.

I think we will see more this season and I am glad because we could end up producing a gem 

1 hour ago, johnking123 said:

Yes, but 21 players will be and will be great experience for young lads.

Spot on.

19 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Taylor Moore set for Hearts exit as he delivers final message on Tynecastle loan

Anticipating a final farewell to Hearts after the Scottish Cup final, Taylor Moore reflects on his most enjoyable footballing experience so far.

By Barry Anderson

The season-long loan in Edinburgh is drawing to a close and Moore ranks it the finest time of his career. It is quite the statement from a player reared at French club Lens and who represented England Under-20s alongside parent club Bristol City.

Season 2021/22 at Tynecastle Park will live long in the memory and may yet climax at Hampden Park on May 21. Moore, 24, has enjoyed momentous Edinburgh derbies, trips to Celtic Park and Ibrox, a semi-final at the national stadium, all while helping Hearts qualify for European competition.

It is rare to see the softly-spoken Englishman without a smile on his face. He is contractually obliged to return to Bristol next month and will do so carrying a sackful of happy memories which have bettered him both as a footballer and a person.

Bottom of Form

“I could sit here all day and talk to you about it,” he says, in conversation with the Evening News. “I’ve learned as much on the pitch as off the pitch about football and about myself. Working under Robbie Neilson has been so eye-opening. The way he says the game tactically has been beneficial.

“We played so many different formations this year. Each and every time we change formation, there is an explanation why, there is a demand of what he wants from players in every single position.

“You see the way the club is run. Joe Savage [sporting director] is doing an incredible job as well. There are some good young players coming through. I’ve absolutely loved every minute of it.

“Going to Ibrox, Celtic Park and Hampden, plus Tynecastle and Easter Road – these are big games. The biggest thing is what it means to people and the passion in Scottish football. It’s been unbelievable.

“I’ve been so proud to be a part of it. I haven’t played as many games as I wanted to, however this has probably been my favourite experience in football so far.

“Living in Edinburgh taught me a lot about myself and my relationship with my Mrs – The Boss. I’ve had family come up and made some amazing memories. It has been a very special place and somewhere I will always hold close to my heart.”

Don’t misinterpret those comments as Moore zipping the suitcases shut just yet. Motivation to play in the final is building. Having waited months for a sustained run in the Hearts team, the centre-back won’t relinquish his place willingly after starting the last three matches.

Injuries to fellow defenders John Souttar, Craig Halkett and Michael Smith created voids which he was desperate to fill. That triumvirate are close to returning and Moore faces a fight to play at Hampden again. There is no shame in being selfish at a time like this.

“To a certain degree, you do have to be selfish in football,” he admits. “I am absolutely loving being in and around this team. I remember speaking to you a few weeks ago and I wasn't in the team. I was working to show the manager that, if he needed me, I’d be there.

“It’s unfortunate to see boys get injured at a crucial part of the season but we have a cup final coming up and I need to prepare myself to play. Some boys will be coming back from injury and in contention so I just need to focus on myself.

“If I am involved on the day I need to make sure I’m ready. I’m just managing myself. That’s why I was still in such a positive mood when I spoke to you a few weeks ago. Although I wasn’t playing, I knew this group of lads were all striving for a certain goal.”

Saturday’s 4-1 defeat at Celtic Park ended a ten-game unbeaten run which helped Hearts reach the final. “We did okay at certain stages of the game but you can’t really walk away after conceding four goals and say you did well,” acknowledges Moore.

“It’s one of the biggest stages in Scottish football against a team who are where they are in the league deservedly. They have an amazing amount of quality but, for me, it was a great experience.

“I felt we were still in the game up until the third goal so there is a lot to learn from, but I’ve still got a smile on my face because I’m enjoying the experience. You look at how the board and manager want to drive this club. Celtic and Rangers is the platform we need to look at but a lot of work still needs to be done.”

How Hearts compare to Rangers will become clearer after the next three games. Following Wednesday’s league trip to Motherwell, Giovanni van Bronckhorst brings his team to Tynecastle on Saturday.

The Ibrox side play Eintracht Frankfurt in the Europa League final four days later before meeting Hearts again at Hampden just three days after that. Those at Tynecastle hope the schedule takes its toll on their Glasgow counterparts.

“I felt drained after playing Celtic on Saturday. Big games like that take it out of you,” explains Moore. “Rangers will have to travel, deal with nerves, the atmosphere and the build-up to a European final. It does take it out of you as a player. You always hear Jurgen Klopp moaning about back-to-back fixtures.

“The manager told us we are being pushed from now until the end of the season. We are having some very tough days in training to make sure we are as fit as Rangers come May 21. All the best to them but that would be the ideal scenario, that they have a bit of fatigue in them.”

Really nice interview.  We as a club truly do seem to get under the skin of players.  I don't read Hibs, Aberdeen etc interviews, but do they get guys on loan for a season, or fellas come in from overseas even for a short time and becoming lifelong supporters?  Never mind Bruno, Rudi and lads like that, even the likes of Dikamona just loves us.  Get the odd sour grape like Rherras, but they're so few and far between.

Love it.

20 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I think we will see more this season and I am glad because we could end up producing a gem 

I don’t see it changing unless we get a B team and we can keep all the young players around us, and even then they’ll have to be very good to break into our team

john thomas
11 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Really nice interview.  We as a club truly do seem to get under the skin of players.  I don't read Hibs, Aberdeen etc interviews, but do they get guys on loan for a season, or fellas come in from overseas even for a short time and becoming lifelong supporters?  Never mind Bruno, Rudi and lads like that, even the likes of Dikamona just loves us.  Get the odd sour grape like Rherras, but they're so few and far between.

Love it.

Good interview indeed . Seems a smart individual .

Actually think he is a decent centre half , has improved with game time . 

36 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

By Barry Anderson

Bottom of Form

Text is a bit small

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

I'm sure he will be involved. It'll help with our homegrown quota also. 

3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I don’t see it changing unless we get a B team and we can keep all the young players around us, and even then they’ll have to be very good to break into our team

May be but it is just what my instincts are telling me after reading interviews with players and coaching staff ect ………… I think Pollock McGill and Logan will see more minutes this coming season and if any of them do well then they will establish them selfs

It is as it should be that they need to be good to break in to our team let us hope that is what happens

2 minutes ago, Homme said:

I'm sure he will be involved. It'll help with our homegrown quota also. 

There was a time not long a go before the academy when players like Ritchie Johnstone Naysmith Locke and Kirk would come in to the team as young players and keep their place despite competition from more experienced established pros ………….. may be we can get back to that again

All roads lead to Gorgie

What a great way to leave for Taylor Moore if he wins a cup winners medal. Hopefully that inspires him to play the game of his life whether he starts or comes off the bench! 

cosanostra

Taylor Moore seems like a good guy. Not worth the transfer fee that his club would want to sign him though. 

Jambo in Bathgate
2 hours ago, Sertse said:

I did think that but it's strange that they'd be announcing Taylor-Moore leaving.

Has it been officially stated by Hearts. I think there is a transfer fee involved with Bristol City. Moore has got to negotiate end of contract with his parent club. 

It’s a bit of a shame with Moore. He started the season reasonably well but fell away a bit in the middle. He’s finding his feet again but he’s not quite at the level we need. Someone’s going to bag a bargain with him though IMO. He’s got the ability, 100%. Just needs to be playing every week and build up that consistency. 

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I think that's what will happen. Maybe a bit more than five, depending who leaves but the quality over quantity approach will continue. Can't see many (or any) squad filler types coming in.

How many times this season have we not been able to fill our subs bench?  Whilst I agree we will not be signing loads of squad filler, we need to at least recall some of the youngsters from loan.  The first 4 months of the season are going to be incredibly demanding and its time to see if some of the young lads can step up against weaker opposition on the Sunday games.

45 minutes ago, Sooks said:

There was a time not long a go before the academy when players like Ritchie Johnstone Naysmith Locke and Kirk would come in to the team as young players and keep their place despite competition from more experienced established pros ………….. may be we can get back to that again

It'll happen again.  The academy was a bit of a misnomer under Levein it would appear.  Perhaps got it back on its feet to an extent after VR and admin, but wasn't as polished as he had us believe would seem to be the truth.  But I have a feeling we'll be back on track with it now.

The other thing that need to happen - and all the names you nentioned above had this - is the pathway.  We need to have the lads who have a chance of a game in and around the club so if their chance comes up, they get the chance to take it.

Gary Naysmith got his chance cos Neil Pointon was injured or suspended (was it not after the Ibrox 4 actually?).  Our kids don't get that chance cos to get any game time they need to be on load so aren't available.  I would say it isn't that often we'd start a season with a first XI spot riding on a quite untried kid's shoulders.  He needs the chance to grab a few games and build up.

Even Lockie etc, they got their chance under Sandy Clarke and then that prick Tommy McLean bumped them all and it was only when JJ came in, they were brought back in to the team.  But that meant they got a taste for it before being relied on.

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

It'll happen again.  The academy was a bit of a misnomer under Levein it would appear.  Perhaps got it back on its feet to an extent after VR and admin, but wasn't as polished as he had us believe would seem to be the truth.  But I have a feeling we'll be back on track with it now.

The other thing that need to happen - and all the names you nentioned above had this - is the pathway.  We need to have the lads who have a chance of a game in and around the club so if their chance comes up, they get the chance to take it.

Gary Naysmith got his chance cos Neil Pointon was injured or suspended (was it not after the Ibrox 4 actually?).  Our kids don't get that chance cos to get any game time they need to be on load so aren't available.  I would say it isn't that often we'd start a season with a first XI spot riding on a quite untried kid's shoulders.  He needs the chance to grab a few games and build up.

Even Lockie etc, they got their chance under Sandy Clarke and then that prick Tommy McLean bumped them all and it was only when JJ came in, they were brought back in to the team.  But that meant they got a taste for it before being relied on.

Yes I agree and recognise all of that and hope fully we have some where for them to play when they are not in the first team

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yes I agree and recognise all of that and hope fully we have some where for them to play when they are not in the first team

Yup.  Got to think Pollock or Smith could have done what perhaps Ginnelly or McEneff did this season.  Certainly more than Frear and Roberts did the season before.

Issue is and continues to be the unfair choice of balance Robbie needs to make on their longterm development when it comes to gametime aged 18-21.

Let's hope we see more of the academy lads next season.  Can't beat one of your own kids doing well.  Also, can't beat one of your own kids.

I think Taylor Moore has looked better as he's got more game time as a centre half.  His attitude is great, and it looks like Hearts have a good atmosphere off the field.

It'll be interesting to see how we line up for the final. 

58 minutes ago, briever said:

How many times this season have we not been able to fill our subs bench?  Whilst I agree we will not be signing loads of squad filler, we need to at least recall some of the youngsters from loan.  The first 4 months of the season are going to be incredibly demanding and its time to see if some of the young lads can step up against weaker opposition on the Sunday games.

I think that's what will happen, we clearly need a bigger squad but no point in a bigger squad if the players aren't of the right quality (and that seems to be the way of thinking that has brought us success this season). I'd definitely expect more of our young players to join the squad.

1 hour ago, Agentjambo said:

Frank Castañeda

This is an interesting name. According to wiki he hasn't been at his current club too long. YouTube highlight reel looks decent but then don't they all

Special Agent Dale Cooper
2 minutes ago, Ranga82 said:

This is an interesting name. According to wiki he hasn't been at his current club too long. YouTube highlight reel looks decent but then don't they all

According to that bastion of truth wikipedia he is joining Buriram United on July 1st.

Agentjambo
3 minutes ago, Ranga82 said:

Out of contact but had impressive scoring record for sheriff.

2 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Out of contact but had impressive scoring record for sheriff.

Shoots a lot for Sheriff but would he just be the deputy here if we get Simms again

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Shoots a lot for Sheriff but would he just be the deputy here if we get Simms again

He’ll swear it was self defence if he gets red carded. SFA will say it’s a capital offence

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

He’ll swear it was self defence if he gets red carded. SFA will say it’s a capital offence

: - D

Fitzroy Pointon
1 minute ago, August Landmesser said:

JB away 

Very good move for him. Fair play

2 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

JB away 

Passes Forrest going the other way if rumours of pre contract are right so hope fully that is classed as squad improvement 

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***