*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

pettigrewsstylist
3 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Goodness sakes. We haven't seen quite the lucky strikes (like Lee) that we'd hoped, but it was a good, robust window.

Shankland is on current evidence an improvement on Simms. I think folk got a bit starry-eyed by the big man's admittedly flawless hair, but Shankland frankly does more for the team and his strike rate per game is well above Simms'. No shade on Simms, a guy I loved and wanted to keep, but Shanks is better.

Forrest has been good to outstanding every time he's played. Neilson looks a real find. We're all pissed at Grant for the his flop against Zurich but aside from that he's been generally positive. Rowles looks like he could make us forget Souttar very fast, even if he's not a natural right sider.

We haven't seen Zog or Humphries yet so it's impossible to know but they have a good look about them at first.

Our post-window signing last year was Barrie McKay, now arguably our best outfield player. I have no idea if we could get in a Rogic or Snodgrass level player, but they could easily have a similar impact for us and would be a fine capstone to this summer's signings.

We don't look very good right now because our defence has been shredded by injuries, but several of our cornerstones are coming back. We have the closest competition to McKay for best outfield player in Baningime coming back some time late fall. Boyce is far and away the biggest blow, because even though his scoring touch has been off he's still given so much positive to the squad. Hopefully Grant can fill in at the #10 role in the 4-2-3-1 but if not it's possible Devlin, who's been playing his absolute best for us recently, moves up there.

Neilson's progression has almost certainly eased the pressure on getting an RCB in, and Stewart may have shown in training what we saw at Parkhead, that he's progressed and makes a fine backup.

It's been a very good window. It's disappointing because we were all salivating for an exceptional window, which hasn't appeared (yet

All true. Its the depth of quality we need to obtain though. Thats why/where we are going to and currently are struggling.

If Kingsley and Mackay can be done though then we can hope for success outside window.

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, Kennyfragg13 said:

Cant spend every dime in 1window , 2 years ago we had wighton and Steven Maclean as strikers.

Sobering.

49 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

Jason Denayer is a free agent. He can cover right Centre Back and right back.  Probably way beyond our limits in terms of salary but it would be worth asking the question.

Given Wolves are interested in him, I doubt there is any way we could compete with them.

During the window I have said no to Snodgrass, thinking we were looking at more dynamic younger players. But we need squad depth, and now dealing with the out of contract market, he’s a prime prospective signing given he’s from Glasgow and will have friends and family nearby. Only managed 5 games since February for Luton and turns 35 on Wednesday though.

Then again, last night we’re being repeatedly told by many on here that we don’t need any more signings, that the squad is much better this year and it will pish 3rd, so why would we even be looking at the out of contract market in the first place?

Edited by BackOfTheNet

8 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

No, the rules are we have to register as you say - but it we don’t - the squad size reduces by the number we’re short on. So if we can only register 2 of 4, our squad size goes from 25 to 23.

That is also correct. 

So we have signed 2 players one from Germany and the other loaned from Wigan and now we can only look for free agents. That says it all and we’re going to be scavenging the dregs nobody else wanted. Or has Joe Savage got a few Aces up his sleeve we don’t know about.

Edited by mitch41

Fxxx the SPFL
4 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Goodness sakes. We haven't seen quite the lucky strikes (like Lee) that we'd hoped, but it was a good, robust window.

Shankland is on current evidence an improvement on Simms. I think folk got a bit starry-eyed by the big man's admittedly flawless hair, but Shankland frankly does more for the team and his strike rate per game is well above Simms'. No shade on Simms, a guy I loved and wanted to keep, but Shanks is better.

Forrest has been good to outstanding every time he's played. Neilson looks a real find. We're all pissed at Grant for the his flop against Zurich but aside from that he's been generally positive. Rowles looks like he could make us forget Souttar very fast, even if he's not a natural right sider.

We haven't seen Zog or Humphries yet so it's impossible to know but they have a good look about them at first.

Our post-window signing last year was Barrie McKay, now arguably our best outfield player. I have no idea if we could get in a Rogic or Snodgrass level player, but they could easily have a similar impact for us and would be a fine capstone to this summer's signings.

We don't look very good right now because our defence has been shredded by injuries, but several of our cornerstones are coming back. We have the closest competition to McKay for best outfield player in Baningime coming back some time late fall. Boyce is far and away the biggest blow, because even though his scoring touch has been off he's still given so much positive to the squad. Hopefully Grant can fill in at the #10 role in the 4-2-3-1 but if not it's possible Devlin, who's been playing his absolute best for us recently, moves up there.

Neilson's progression has almost certainly eased the pressure on getting an RCB in, and Stewart may have shown in training what we saw at Parkhead, that he's progressed and makes a fine backup.

It's been a very good window. It's disappointing because we were all salivating for an exceptional window, which hasn't appeared (yet

👍well said 

44 minutes ago, DxB Hearts said:

Theres a pretty good argument that Kingley and McKay are the two best players in the whole league outwith the old firm. 

Kingsley singed a week into October and McKay signed a week into September.

If we can pick up two more of those quality for free then our squad will look very very good, despite these guys missing out on the ECL games.

We're building over seasons, not doing a Romanov.

The above is consistent with my thoughts. Short term reactionary signings, in what was clearly a market hideously over inflated by EPL extravagance, is not a good way by which to build a football club.

Not a bad window. Still think a really good no 10 Is required. Maybe a winger too.

Very surprised that we haven't signed more tbh. If our injury crisis gets worse, we really are going to struggle.

I think fans views are skewed with what they bring in on deadline day. We also signed the German at the weekend as well as Humphrys and I reckon another will be added today. The injuries have skewed our window I think, we’ve paid out some pretty significant fees for players over the window and Robbie has been backed. Once we get Halkett and Kingsley back we are no doubt going to be stronger along with the boy up top and in midfield. We have been down to the bare bones last 2 games when you throw the suspensions in and also Grant being out. 

18 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

They are still dazed and confused as Harry the hipster told them to ram their tinpot club 

Think they are speaking to FIFA about it and are confident it was done before midnight

That aside though ………….. they have signed SIXTEEN players this window :rofl:

Bet there are no cliques or fall outs in that dressing room 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I like how fans that were so raging not to beat Zurich are now completely sanguine about whether or not we have a strong enough team/squad for the rest of the Euro campaign.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
15 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

So we have signed 2 players one from Germany and the other loaned from Wigan and now we can only look for free agents. That says it all and we’re going to be scavenging the dregs nobody else wanted. Or has Joe Savage got a few Aces up his sleeve we don’t know about.

I think Joe is good at his job but you seem to be giving him mythical status.

Aces up his sleeve would be signed by now.

Dick Dastardly
7 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

Nothings free in this world, free agents will recoup the transfer fee in a signing on bonus. Ironically its probably cheaper to buy from a club then sign free agents unless your signing someone no one wants.

Thats not really true though, is it? Maybe at the top end of football but not a general rule 

A first choice fifteen is the best we could hope for I think

I went for 433 because it’s a formation I like but it means some of the players after the slashes are a bit out of position

I think I have pretty fairly put first choice players down only …………….. may be a bit generous with Neilson and Haring. Halliday GMS Sibbick and Gino are all back up players I would say ……………… it also relies on Kio and Humphrys being decent 

Gordon

Kingsley/Cochrane
Rowles
Halkett/Neilson
Atkinson/Smith

Baningime
Devlin
Kio/Haring

McKay/Boyce
Shankland/Humphrey
Forrest/Grant

Take Neilson and Haring out and that is still a first choice 16 ……………. Hopefully after the Christmas break we get more luck with injuries and we see that 15 minus Boyce playing regularly on match days with any subs not massively weakening us

We still need another striker.  Big risk us only having two. Still missing the one with pace Robbie was talking about.  Another attacking winger/midfielder too.

Just now, johnking123 said:

We still need another striker.  Big risk us only having two. Still missing the one with pace Robbie was talking about.  Another attacking winger/midfielder too.

Humphrys was reported as having pace. 

Dick Dastardly
20 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

I thought we signed 8 players. Neilson, Cochrane, Rowles, Grant, Forrest, Kio, Shankland, Humphrys. Yup 8. Not 2. 

manaliveits105
9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Think they are speaking to FIFA about it and are confident it was done before midnight

That aside though ………….. they have signed SIXTEEN players this window :rofl:

Bet there are no cliques or fall outs in that dressing room 

Just seen that - good he looks a good fit for the hubz way - 3 match ban for improper conduct and aggressive behaviour after going to refereees room and throwing a drink - Porto can teach him how to throw glasses at women to up his game 

Leveins Battalion

Went to bed last night,knew we wouldn't sign anybody else.

"Thanks to the sterling job our recruitment team do"

Aye nae bother Joe,keep talking.

Just now, manaliveits105 said:

Just seen that - good he looks a good fit for the hubz way - 3 match ban for improper conduct and aggressive behaviour after going to refereees room and throwing a drink - Porto can teach him how to throw glasses at women to up his game 

Our list of targets will have been assembled based on stats and scouting of performances and reports from contacts we trust

Hibs list is put together from the crime pages of every local newspaper in the UK 

tartofmidlothian
4 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Good post.

Overall, this window has been average. Not great, not catastrophic. The last week, however, has been disappointing, especially given our recent injuries. We can make up for that with a couple of quality free agent signings. Let's get them done!

37 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Zander Clarke and Rogic, I'll be very happy if we get them. It'll have to be today otherwise they can't play in Europe.

They have been free to pick up for weeks so can’t see that happening or would have by now 

Just want to clarify a few things, as last night I got called everything from pant wetter to drama queen to implied notions I was a Hibs fan etc. I was not frothing at the mouth. I posted a lot, yes, but I wasn’t the only one. Normally by the time I finished typing up a post I would get the “45+ replies, see new posts first” option pop up.

It’s simple really, we’ve lost players from the squad since the summer. We’ve added players during the summer. Taking away those that left and adding those that joined have put us in a better squad number position by 1. Now, there are additional squad members who were out on loan last season, who are still with the squad. So that means we do have extra numbers, but I would argue said players are either not good enough for our level, or need some loan time to get up to a level we need them at.

Quality over quantity. Definitely an argument in place for this. Are the players we brought in better than those that left? Overall, I have to say yes. But does that automatically mean we’re in a better position now than when we ended last season? I can see why people would assume that’s the case, but there’s an argument to say actually no, we’re not. As just because the overall quality of the squad has improved, the improvements aren’t drastic. We’ve raised a level, not multiple levels. Have we widened the gap between us and those that finished below us last season? Remains to be seen, but there’s arguments to be said some teams have improved and could very well close the gap on us.

Then there’s the element of fixture congestion. Due to Europe and the World Cup, we will have played half our league season in 2022 before the next window opens. We have six extra - and tough - European games. Playing twice a week not only takes its toll on players and increases chances of injuries, it requires more rotation. That’s why having a squad one bigger than last season isn’t going to cut it (or relying on youngsters).

Before last night, the majority of people on here were calmly pointing out that a minimum of 3 or 4 players were needed. People pointed out the entire summer that two strikers were needed, we signed Shankland so one was required (many also argued we still needed two), then Boyce got injured, so the need went from one to two again. We signed one. Many have argued a backup keeper was needed, to be better than Stewart. This was calmed after Stewart’s displays against Celtic, despite plenty people saying “one swallow, a summer doesn’t make” when a player they don’t like has a decent game, but Stewart has one decent against Celtic and people are alright with him filling in for Gordon should god forbid anything happen to him for a sustained period of time. Souttar’s berth at RCB has needed to be filled, we’ve signed Rowles who looks great, but he doesn’t play there. People keep having a go at me saying Sibbick isn’t good enough there, and Neilson has only played centre of a 3 as far as I can see so we don’t know how he’d play there so may be another position we need to fill. And we’ve needed better than GMS on the wing/wide area for a season now, and many pointed out we needed at least one wide player/forward for weeks.

People calmly pointed these things out. And people calmly waited all summer for the required signings to happen. As people started to doubt they would happen, they got called pant wetters, as “in Savage we trust” and people piously guffawed at said pant wetters that the window wasn’t closed and we have plenty of time to bring people in. After all, the manager talked about numbers we need (even positions), so why wouldn’t we, right?

Then, the same posters calling people pant wetters in the last couple of weeks for claiming we’re too late to the signings and will be short, telling them they were impatient - then when it became apparent that the non-signings they worried about happening was actually happening - started calling people pant wetters for being right. It went from pant wetting too soon as there was plenty of the window left, to pant wetting because the squad is good enough.

It’s just weird, you can probably count on one hand the number of posters who were content with our squad size two weeks ago. Everyone, even staunch Neilson defenders / Savage love in types (and I really do admire Savage by the way) still said we needed 3/4 in. After St. Johnstone that number went up one or two. Yet, when the window comes to a close, suddenly that need for 3/4 is not a thing anymore? And people pointing out that we needed those numbers are overreacting and pant wetting? Make it make sense.

Anyway, that’s my thoughts/summary. (Not rant, or froth, before anyone reads it that way)

Edited by BackOfTheNet

15 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I thought we signed 8 players. Neilson, Cochrane, Rowles, Grant, Forrest, Kio, Shankland, Humphrys. Yup 8. Not 2. 

And last year we savaged  the dregs that nobody wants and signed McKay and Kingsley, guys an  absolute slaver but he's not alone on  this thread,  throbbers all over it .

There's a bigger picture, but I find it hard to get excited about free agents at the moment when they're (probably) not going to play in Europe. By the time these big occasions came up I really hoped we'd be in better shape.

Before anyone starts, I am happy with the players we did sign, but I really thought we might be able to get at least one exciting attacking signing in, preferably a couple. I can't help but feel a bit deflated that we haven't been able to.

I didn't consider that either Forrest or Gino would be starters this season but one of them will be as things stand. Shankland is not a Simms type that can play up on his own but we're either going to have to do that or pair him with Humphrys, leaving no-one on the bench. We're a McKay or Shankland injury away from serious trouble IMO.

Picking up a free agent in September is fine but going into it needing at least 2 is unusual and far from ideal at this stage.

I'm sure the management realise all this and targets that would have fitted the bill were identified. I'm sure we tried to bring those players in, but we've failed to do so. I'm not sure why that is, whether it was just an extremely tough market, whether we aimed too high, whether we were unlucky, whether we were complacent, but I can only hope valuable lessons have been learned.

8 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Get Tom Rogic in and Zander Clarke on frees.

Can't disagree with that. Rogic would be an amazing signing.

6 minutes ago, Pingu said:

Overall, this window has been average. Not great, not catastrophic. The last week, however, has been disappointing, especially given our recent injuries. We can make up for that with a couple of quality free agent signings. Let's get them done!

Rowles Shankland and Forrest have all improved us and we have yet to see Kio and Humphry so it is a bit early to say it has been average ………….. average at worst would be more accurate at this stage 

Neilson looks like he will be a very good signing in time and Cochrane is already an important part of the squad 

Dick Dastardly
5 minutes ago, ramrod said:

And last year we savaged  the dregs that nobody wants and signed McKay and Kingsley, guys an  absolute slaver but he's not alone on  this thread,  throbbers all over it .

Absolutely 

6 minutes ago, theshed said:

They have been free to pick up for weeks so can’t see that happening or would have by now 

My hope is that we had other targets we didn't get and they'll now spend more money to fill gaps with free agents.

Unlikely but I'm not very happy with how this window has ended at all.

6 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Just want to clarify a few things, as last night I got called everything from pant wetter to drama queen to implied notions I was a Hibs fan etc. I was not frothing at the mouth. I posted a lot, yes, but I wasn’t the only one. Normally by the time I finished typing up a post I would get the “45+ replies, see new posts first” option pop up.

It’s simple really, we’ve lost players from the squad since the summer. We’ve added players during the summer. Taking away those that left and adding those that joined have put us in a better squad number position by 1. Now, there are additional squad members who were out on loan last season, who are still with the squad. So that means we do have extra numbers, but I would argue said players are either not good enough for our level, or need some loan time to get up to a level we need them at.

Quality over quantity. Definitely an argument in place for this. Are the players we brought in better than those that left? Overall, I have to say yes. But does that automatically mean we’re in a better position now than when we ended last season? I can see why people would assume that’s the case, but there’s an argument to say actually no, we’re not. As just because the overall quality of the squad has improved, the improvements aren’t drastic. We’ve raised a level, not multiple levels. Have we widened the gap between us and those that finished below us last season? Remains to be seen, but there’s arguments to be said some teams have improved and could very well close the gap on us.

Then there’s the element of fixture congestion. Due to Europe and the World Cup, we will have played half our league season in 2022 before the next window opens. We have six extra - and tough - European games. Playing twice a week not only takes its toll on players and increases chances of injuries, it requires more rotation. That’s why having a squad one bigger than last season isn’t going to cut it (or relying on youngsters).

Before last night, the majority of people on here were calmly pointing out that a minimum of 3 or 4 players were needed. People pointed out the entire summer that two strikers were needed, we signed Shankland so one was required (many also argued we still needed two), then Boyce got injured, so the need went from one to two again. We signed one. Many have argued a backup keeper was needed, to be better than Stewart. This was calmed after Stewart’s displays against Celtic, despite plenty people saying “one swallow, a summer doesn’t make” when a player they don’t like has a decent game, but Stewart has one decent against Celtic and people are alright with him filling in for Gordon should god forbid anything happen to him for a sustained period of time. Souttar’s berth at RCB has needed to be filled, we’ve signed Rowles who looks great, but he doesn’t play there. People keep having a go at me saying Sibbick isn’t good enough there, and Neilson has only played centre of a 3 as far as I can see so we don’t know how he’d play there so may be another position we need to fill. And we’ve needed better than GMS on the wing/wide area for a season now, and many pointed out we needed at least one wide player/forward for weeks.

People calmly pointed these things out. And people calmly waited all summer for the required signings to happen. As people started to doubt they would happen, they got called pant wetters, as “in Savage we trust” and people piously guffawed at said pant wetters that the window wasn’t closed and we have plenty of time to bring people in. After all, the manager talked about numbers we need (even positions), so why wouldn’t we, right?

Then, the same posters calling people pant wetters in the last couple of weeks for claiming we’re too late to the signings and will be short, telling them they were impatient - then when it became apparent that the non-signings they worried about happening was actually happening - started calling people pant wetters for being right. It went from pant wetting too soon as there was plenty of the window left, to pant wetting because the squad is good enough.

It’s just weird, you can probably count on one hand the number of posters who were content with our squad size two weeks ago. Everyone, even staunch Neilson defenders / Savage love in types (and I really do admire Savage by the way) still said we needed 3/4 in. After St. Johnstone that number went up one or two. Yet, when the window comes to a close, suddenly that need for 3/4 is not a thing anymore? And people pointing out that we needed those numbers are overreacting and pant wetting? Make it make sense.

Anyway, that’s my thoughts/summary. (Not rant, or froth, before anyone reads it that way)

Mate you take this place a bit too seriously 

It is only a message board and I seriously doubt any one went to bed last night even giving your posts a second thought and you should probably not dwell on any one elses either

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Rowles Shankland and Forrest have all improved us and we have yet to see Kio and Humphry so it is a bit early to say it has been average ………….. average at worst would be more accurate at this stage 

Neilson looks like he will be a very good signing in time and Cochrane is already an important part of the squad 

Despite his red card I think Grant has improved our squad as well. 

24 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I think Joe is good at his job but you seem to be giving him mythical status.

Aces up his sleeve would be signed by now.

Aces up the sleeve has been the buzzword on here for the last month. 
Joe  is good at interviews and can talk the talk but the last month transfer wise has been a huge let down 

Huge game on Saturday and desperately need a confidence boosting win. 
Loose and we are in trouble in coming weeks 

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Mate you take this place a bit too seriously 

It is only a message board and I seriously doubt any one went to bed last night even giving your posts a second thought and you should probably not dwell on any one elses either

Honestly, I don’t. This is how I type, text, write. Always has been, no matter the medium. Just because I don’t keep my posts to a tweet length or use laughing emojis doesn’t mean I’m being serious all the time. I just like to construct proper sentences.

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, DxB Hearts said:

There's a pretty good argument that Kingsley and McKay are the two best players in the whole league outwith the old firm. 

Kingsley singed a week into October and McKay signed a week into September.

If we can pick up two more of those quality for free then our squad will look very very good, despite these guys missing out on the ECL games.

We're building over seasons, not doing a Romanov.

If we get 2 in today, they can play in Europe

Churchill Barrier
23 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Our list of targets will have been assembled based on stats and scouting of performances and reports from contacts we trust

Hibs list is put together from the crime pages of every local newspaper in the UK 

If we signed a forward that had scored 23 in 44 games i would be delighted. 

34 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

And a RCB, and a backup keeper, and perhaps a no.10. But apparently pointing that out makes you a Hibee infiltrating, pant wetting drama queen.

8 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Despite his red card I think Grant has improved our squad as well. 

Forgot about him but yes I agree and especially with Boyce now being out

19 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Quite a fair take on things. You’re a good poster but you really seem to take things to heart at times. Just let it slide off you bud, it’s only folk talking shit on a football forum. 

Edited by GinRummy

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***