*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

The fans on here pointing out their concerns are only amplifying what the manager has been saying... 

''You can see we need a few'' only 24 hours ago

''We've had dialogue,we know what we need,we maybe need to be more aggessive'' less than 24 hours ago

''We've targeted a couple,we'd like them to be permanents but if not we'll go down the loan route although not ideal'' last week

Now either Robbie was talking pish and only wanted 1 striker on loan or the recruitment team have failed to get any over the line,but the manager has literally just used the ''exhausted'' and ''short on numbers'' excuse already this season and it's only September.

Or the players we wanted said no and we still have work to do in the free transfer market. 

Loans can also become permanent. 

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

Just now, GinRummy said:

No chance imo. We’ll run with what we have. Anybody coming in will be an attacking player I think. 

Just my thoughts mate, just feel that side is weaker than the left. Let's see what happens over the next few days. 

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

If he comes back the same player. He’s been out a long time. 

He will I am sure ………….. but it will take him a while to get back up to that level and that is where our famously patient fan base will make the difference 😞 

Jambo in Bathgate
1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I thought we signed 8 players. Neilson, Cochrane, Rowles, Grant, Forrest, Kio, Shankland, Humphrys. Yup 8. Not 2. 

Exactly! 

Just now, feej said:

Just my thoughts mate, just feel that side is weaker than the left. Let's see what happens over the next few days. 

I agree it’s something we could improve on but just can’t see it at this stage. 

Was initially underwhelmed to say the least when we were linked to Humphrys but now after reading more about him I think this might be a brilliant signing from Savage as it appears he is exactly the type of player we have been looking for.Strong fast and good dribbler so should compliment Shankland well so I think he is more a starter than to sit on the bench or play when Shankland needs a rest.

Ford Prentice
9 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

We also have Beni coming back in a few months, which will be like another new signing 

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

If he comes back the same player. He’s been out a long time. 

With that length of time out takes a while to get up to speed. Even if all goes well probably next season before he's back to his best. Hopefully Keo will take that role.

On main theme, have avoided posting but have to say that both Joe and Robbie have to take responsibility for raising expectations about this window. Hopefully something good happens today but not optimistic. 

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

He will I am sure ………….. but it will take him a while to get back up to that level and that is where our famously patient fan base will make the difference 😞 

I’m sure there will be a few grumbles as he finds his feet. You’ll read on here it was because he is black though nothing to do with his performances. 

1 minute ago, TexasAndy said:

Had to remind myself who we have signed this window.  Cochrane, Neilson, Rowles, Shankland, Grant, Forrest, Kio and Humphrys.  8 Signings.  I get that due to injuries we could perhaps have done with one or two more but some of the reactions on this thread have been frankly embarrassing.  

There’s no doubt that there’s been a hell of a lot of over reaction on this thread. However it doesn’t take away from us being light in a few areas despite us having a much busier fixture list.

We have been unlucky with the injuries we had but being realistic these were always going to happen at some point with the extra games.

We have known for over a season that when Halkett is injured we struggle aerially, as he’s the only aggressive headerer of a ball. We also know that when McKay is struggling for ideas we lack creativity. A right sided centre back and another quick winger/ forward was the minimum we needed IMO. 

Fozzyonthefence
54 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Just want to clarify a few things, as last night I got called everything from pant wetter to drama queen to implied notions I was a Hibs fan etc. I was not frothing at the mouth. I posted a lot, yes, but I wasn’t the only one. Normally by the time I finished typing up a post I would get the “45+ replies, see new posts first” option pop up.

It’s simple really, we’ve lost players from the squad since the summer. We’ve added players during the summer. Taking away those that left and adding those that joined have put us in a better squad number position by 1. Now, there are additional squad members who were out on loan last season, who are still with the squad. So that means we do have extra numbers, but I would argue said players are either not good enough for our level, or need some loan time to get up to a level we need them at.

Quality over quantity. Definitely an argument in place for this. Are the players we brought in better than those that left? Overall, I have to say yes. But does that automatically mean we’re in a better position now than when we ended last season? I can see why people would assume that’s the case, but there’s an argument to say actually no, we’re not. As just because the overall quality of the squad has improved, the improvements aren’t drastic. We’ve raised a level, not multiple levels. Have we widened the gap between us and those that finished below us last season? Remains to be seen, but there’s arguments to be said some teams have improved and could very well close the gap on us.

Then there’s the element of fixture congestion. Due to Europe and the World Cup, we will have played half our league season in 2022 before the next window opens. We have six extra - and tough - European games. Playing twice a week not only takes its toll on players and increases chances of injuries, it requires more rotation. That’s why having a squad one bigger than last season isn’t going to cut it (or relying on youngsters).

Before last night, the majority of people on here were calmly pointing out that a minimum of 3 or 4 players were needed. People pointed out the entire summer that two strikers were needed, we signed Shankland so one was required (many also argued we still needed two), then Boyce got injured, so the need went from one to two again. We signed one. Many have argued a backup keeper was needed, to be better than Stewart. This was calmed after Stewart’s displays against Celtic, despite plenty people saying “one swallow, a summer doesn’t make” when a player they don’t like has a decent game, but Stewart has one decent against Celtic and people are alright with him filling in for Gordon should god forbid anything happen to him for a sustained period of time. Souttar’s berth at RCB has needed to be filled, we’ve signed Rowles who looks great, but he doesn’t play there. People keep having a go at me saying Sibbick isn’t good enough there, and Neilson has only played centre of a 3 as far as I can see so we don’t know how he’d play there so may be another position we need to fill. And we’ve needed better than GMS on the wing/wide area for a season now, and many pointed out we needed at least one wide player/forward for weeks.

People calmly pointed these things out. And people calmly waited all summer for the required signings to happen. As people started to doubt they would happen, they got called pant wetters, as “in Savage we trust” and people piously guffawed at said pant wetters that the window wasn’t closed and we have plenty of time to bring people in. After all, the manager talked about numbers we need (even positions), so why wouldn’t we, right?

Then, the same posters calling people pant wetters in the last couple of weeks for claiming we’re too late to the signings and will be short, telling them they were impatient - then when it became apparent that the non-signings they worried about happening was actually happening - started calling people pant wetters for being right. It went from pant wetting too soon as there was plenty of the window left, to pant wetting because the squad is good enough.

It’s just weird, you can probably count on one hand the number of posters who were content with our squad size two weeks ago. Everyone, even staunch Neilson defenders / Savage love in types (and I really do admire Savage by the way) still said we needed 3/4 in. After St. Johnstone that number went up one or two. Yet, when the window comes to a close, suddenly that need for 3/4 is not a thing anymore? And people pointing out that we needed those numbers are overreacting and pant wetting? Make it make sense.

Anyway, that’s my thoughts/summary. (Not rant, or froth, before anyone reads it that way)

Good post.  The term “pant wetters” is generally thrown around on here by the hard of thinking incapable of debating a viewpoint that differs from their own and weirdly seem take every slight criticism of the club personally.  I’ve never understood why people feel like that.

2 minutes ago, Ford Prentice said:

With that length of time out takes a while to get up to speed. Even if all goes well probably next season before he's back to his best. Hopefully Keo will take that role.

On main theme, have avoided posting but have to say that both Joe and Robbie have to take responsibility for raising expectations about this window. Hopefully something good happens today but not optimistic. 

At the moment of nothing happens today then that’s on Joe imo. I’m fairly balanced in my expectations but with the games we have coming up we needed more than one loan forward. 

Transfer window summary

Out:

Souttar

Moore

Woodburn

Simms

In:

Neilson - replaces Moore

Rowles - replaces Souttar (kind of)

Kiomourtzoglu - covers for Beni injury 

Grant - replaces Woodburn

Forrest - extra player

Shankland - replaces Simms

Humphrys - covers for Boyce injury

Theres still a possibility that we’ll pick up a free agent or two but based on the window itself I think we’ve done well, would need to see Kio and Humphrys play before making a decision on that though

27 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

If you'd said it was a disappointing window, that would be an opinion.  Calling it a disgrace is patently nonsense though, isn't it.

I think we're at least 1 player short,probably 2 - but the season is a lot longer than the European games, so if we get a couple of good free agents in to help with the long haul then fair enough

We are definitely short up top no doubt 

we needed 2 coming in but they can still bring in free agents and it will probably happen 

51 minutes ago, Churchill Barrier said:

If we signed a forward that had scored 23 in 44 games i would be delighted. 

The boy Hibs signed has been playing in the 4th division down south. There’s a reason no one in England has touched him.

The Grim Reaper
20 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

You’re not being serious surely?!  Simms brings way more to the team than Shankland. Shankland may score more goals (although early signs are that Simms might bang them in in a better league this season) but Simms is a far better and more effective all round player. We’re missing him hugely.  Shankland has been completely anonymous in some games  (like Wednesday night) and we’ll get a lot of that with him.

15 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

You're going over the top about how good Forrest is.

Devlin as a 10 is madness. 

He's the new Hearts propaganda machine. Taken over from ToqueJambo who has mysteriously disappeared. 

10 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Or the players we wanted said no and we still have work to do in the free transfer market. 

Loans can also become permanent. 

Actually think Humphrys will be more beneficial to Shankland than Boyce. He clearly looks like a player who can occupy defenders and give Shankland more space in and around the box. 

11 fixtures to get through with the squad we have plus hopefully another free transfer, and then 22 fixtures after the World Cup when we will be able to add Rowles and Beni to the squad plus 1 or 2 recruits in January. Europe is obviously massive to us but most important thing is finishing 3rd again to more or less secure European football again. 

53 minutes ago, Churchill Barrier said:

If we signed a forward that had scored 23 in 44 games i would be delighted. 

Thats about my record at 5 asides. Still wanted sign for hibs though. 

8 minutes ago, Dazo said:

At the moment of nothing happens today then that’s on Joe imo. I’m fairly balanced in my expectations but with the games we have coming up we needed more than one loan forward. 

Do you feel we are still working on getting in a free agent over the weekend etc? 

I think a big positive is we've kept ahold of players like McKay, Devlin, Kingsley and Halkett.

One more signing today and I'll be happy with this window.

9 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I’m sure there will be a few grumbles as he finds his feet. You’ll read on here it was because he is black though nothing to do with his performances. 

Whoa ………. no comment on that 

Seen it so often regardless of the colour of the players skin fans write players off as shite or over rated when they return from injury and take a while to get back to their best 

It happened with Beni already after his last injury people were saying hes overrated ect in the first few weeks back

Looking forward to seeing Humphrys and Kio, welcome lads. You may be thrown in right away. Think Humphrys may be a real capture, great feet, fast and strong. (OK entirely YouTube based). Difficult game on Saturday let's get back on the rails.

9 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Transfer window summary

Out:

Souttar

Moore

Woodburn

Simms

In:

Neilson - replaces Moore

Rowles - replaces Souttar (kind of)

Kiomourtzoglu - covers for Beni injury 

Grant - replaces Woodburn

Forrest - extra player

Shankland - replaces Simms

Humphrys - covers for Boyce injury

Theres still a possibility that we’ll pick up a free agent or two but based on the window itself I think we’ve done well, would need to see Kio and Humphrys play before making a decision on that though

McEneff and Popescu out too along with Damour

Churchill Barrier
34 minutes ago, DS98 said:

In League 2? Cole Stockton has the same goals to games but a league higher.

Where were the majority of shanklands goals scored again?

8 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

was Europe ever a priority ? And I mean that in the way we were guaranteed group stage football so in all honesty yes we want to compete but the league is the real priority and getting back in European group football and growing season on season whilst building finances and momentum.

we were in the championship 18 months ago. 
I honestly don’t think it’s unrealistic to think we don’t expect or budget to get into European quarter finals at the first time of asking.  Aberdeen never managed it in how many attempts ? 
we all need a bit of realism and patience. 
not directed at you by the way just in general my feelings

Absolutely👏👏

58 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Honestly, I don’t. This is how I type, text, write. Always has been, no matter the medium. Just because I don’t keep my posts to a tweet length or use laughing emojis doesn’t mean I’m being serious all the time. I just like to construct proper sentences.

Yes, but your approach involves thinking, reasoning, objectivity, and evaluating other’s opinions.

It’ll never catch on…🤨

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Just want to clarify a few things, as last night I got called everything from pant wetter to drama queen to implied notions I was a Hibs fan etc. I was not frothing at the mouth. I posted a lot, yes, but I wasn’t the only one. Normally by the time I finished typing up a post I would get the “45+ replies, see new posts first” option pop up.

It’s simple really, we’ve lost players from the squad since the summer. We’ve added players during the summer. Taking away those that left and adding those that joined have put us in a better squad number position by 1. Now, there are additional squad members who were out on loan last season, who are still with the squad. So that means we do have extra numbers, but I would argue said players are either not good enough for our level, or need some loan time to get up to a level we need them at.

Quality over quantity. Definitely an argument in place for this. Are the players we brought in better than those that left? Overall, I have to say yes. But does that automatically mean we’re in a better position now than when we ended last season? I can see why people would assume that’s the case, but there’s an argument to say actually no, we’re not. As just because the overall quality of the squad has improved, the improvements aren’t drastic. We’ve raised a level, not multiple levels. Have we widened the gap between us and those that finished below us last season? Remains to be seen, but there’s arguments to be said some teams have improved and could very well close the gap on us.

Then there’s the element of fixture congestion. Due to Europe and the World Cup, we will have played half our league season in 2022 before the next window opens. We have six extra - and tough - European games. Playing twice a week not only takes its toll on players and increases chances of injuries, it requires more rotation. That’s why having a squad one bigger than last season isn’t going to cut it (or relying on youngsters).

Before last night, the majority of people on here were calmly pointing out that a minimum of 3 or 4 players were needed. People pointed out the entire summer that two strikers were needed, we signed Shankland so one was required (many also argued we still needed two), then Boyce got injured, so the need went from one to two again. We signed one. Many have argued a backup keeper was needed, to be better than Stewart. This was calmed after Stewart’s displays against Celtic, despite plenty people saying “one swallow, a summer doesn’t make” when a player they don’t like has a decent game, but Stewart has one decent against Celtic and people are alright with him filling in for Gordon should god forbid anything happen to him for a sustained period of time. Souttar’s berth at RCB has needed to be filled, we’ve signed Rowles who looks great, but he doesn’t play there. People keep having a go at me saying Sibbick isn’t good enough there, and Neilson has only played centre of a 3 as far as I can see so we don’t know how he’d play there so may be another position we need to fill. And we’ve needed better than GMS on the wing/wide area for a season now, and many pointed out we needed at least one wide player/forward for weeks.

People calmly pointed these things out. And people calmly waited all summer for the required signings to happen. As people started to doubt they would happen, they got called pant wetters, as “in Savage we trust” and people piously guffawed at said pant wetters that the window wasn’t closed and we have plenty of time to bring people in. After all, the manager talked about numbers we need (even positions), so why wouldn’t we, right?

Then, the same posters calling people pant wetters in the last couple of weeks for claiming we’re too late to the signings and will be short, telling them they were impatient - then when it became apparent that the non-signings they worried about happening was actually happening - started calling people pant wetters for being right. It went from pant wetting too soon as there was plenty of the window left, to pant wetting because the squad is good enough.

It’s just weird, you can probably count on one hand the number of posters who were content with our squad size two weeks ago. Everyone, even staunch Neilson defenders / Savage love in types (and I really do admire Savage by the way) still said we needed 3/4 in. After St. Johnstone that number went up one or two. Yet, when the window comes to a close, suddenly that need for 3/4 is not a thing anymore? And people pointing out that we needed those numbers are overreacting and pant wetting? Make it make sense.

Anyway, that’s my thoughts/summary. (Not rant, or froth, before anyone reads it that way)

Way too long to read on a fans forum.  Would have better in a mini-series spread over today😂😂😂 some good points, some I’d disagree with.  

1 hour ago, DC_92 said:

There's a bigger picture, but I find it hard to get excited about free agents at the moment when they're (probably) not going to play in Europe. By the time these big occasions came up I really hoped we'd be in better shape.

Before anyone starts, I am happy with the players we did sign, but I really thought we might be able to get at least one exciting attacking signing in, preferably a couple. I can't help but feel a bit deflated that we haven't been able to.

I didn't consider that either Forrest or Gino would be starters this season but one of them will be as things stand. Shankland is not a Simms type that can play up on his own but we're either going to have to do that or pair him with Humphrys, leaving no-one on the bench. We're a McKay or Shankland injury away from serious trouble IMO.

Picking up a free agent in September is fine but going into it needing at least 2 is unusual and far from ideal at this stage.

I'm sure the management realise all this and targets that would have fitted the bill were identified. I'm sure we tried to bring those players in, but we've failed to do so. I'm not sure why that is, whether it was just an extremely tough market, whether we aimed too high, whether we were unlucky, whether we were complacent, but I can only hope valuable lessons have been learned.

First season back in Europe is all about building for the future seasons in Europe.  League and Scottish cup much more important this season, and maybe next. 

jamboinglasgow

I am convinced that we will sign a free agent today. I also think we sign another on top of that but that will be longer (so misses out on Europe but means they are ready for domestic games helping with the burden.)

7 minutes ago, Churchill Barrier said:

Where were the majority of shanklands goals scored again?

Shankland has scored goals in

The Belgian Premier

The Europa League

The SPFL Premier

The SPFL Championship

The milk shake tosser has scored goals in

English League 2

English League two is a totally shit level of football

1 minute ago, gedster said:

McEneff and Popescu out too along with Damour

Christ I forgot McEneff existed, well I guess when you take him out and add in Forrest then our squad remains the same size as it was last season if we consider Boyce and Beni to be out of action.

Goalkeepers:

Gordon

Stewart

Right backs:

M.Smith

Atkinson

Centre backs:

Halkett

Rowles

Neilson

Sibbick

Left backs:

Kingsley (could also be considered centre)

Cochrane

Centre mids:

Haring

Devlin

Kiomourtzoglu

Halliday (could also be considered leftback)

Attacking support:

McKay

Forrest

Grant

Mackay-Steven

Ginnelly

C.Smith

Centre forwards:

Shankland

Humphrys

Henderson

It’s a decent squad but hopefully we can beef it up with a couple of free agents 

4 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Christ I forgot McEneff existed, well I guess when you take him out and add in Forrest then our squad remains the same size as it was last season if we consider Boyce and Beni to be out of action.

Goalkeepers:

Gordon

Stewart

Right backs:

M.Smith

Atkinson

Centre backs:

Halkett

Rowles

Neilson

Sibbick

Left backs:

Kingsley (could also be considered centre)

Cochrane

Centre mids:

Haring

Devlin

Kiomourtzoglu

Halliday (could also be considered leftback)

Attacking support:

McKay

Forrest

Grant

Mackay-Steven

Ginnelly

C.Smith

Centre forwards:

Shankland

Humphrys

Henderson

It’s a decent squad but hopefully we can beef it up with a couple of free agents 

Yeah.  It's easy to forget that Kingsley and Mckay both came as free agents.

Wouldn’t surprise me if pollock is ready to step up. He looked class when he came on against Stoke. Could fill that 10 role I reckon 

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

The Belgian Premier

The Europa League

The SPFL Premier

The SPFL Championship

English League 2

Foe Shanks you forgot goals for Scotland and Scotland U 21.s 👍

33 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Was initially underwhelmed to say the least when we were linked to Humphrys but now after reading more about him I think this might be a brilliant signing from Savage as it appears he is exactly the type of player we have been looking for.Strong fast and good dribbler so should compliment Shankland well so I think he is more a starter than to sit on the bench or play when Shankland needs a rest.

Absolutely agree. He looks a real physical presence who also has quite a bit of skill. He will create space for others in the box and also chip in a few goals himself. 

I don't quite know how Robbie will fit him into the front 4 but will be interesting to see.

As much as anything else, I'm glad we've managed to keep hold of our best players. Was slightly nervous a late offer was going to come in for McKay/Kingsley/Devlin.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 minutes ago, Sooks said:

The Belgian Premier

The Europa League

The SPFL Premier

The SPFL Championship

English League 2

Shanklands never scored against Man City for counter balance

image.png.ec21c76a0f7d3e43b8e09fe5ec74f4f2.png

Edited by Lord Beni of Gorgie

1 minute ago, Craig_ said:

As much as anything else, I'm glad we've managed to keep hold of our best players. Was slightly nervous a late offer was going to come in for McKay/Kingsley/Devlin.

Very true actually

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Yeah.  It's easy to forget that Kingsley and Mckay both came as free agents.

Djoum was another that Neilson found in September

Getting a striker in was the main thing as far as I was concerned. 

We've done good business after the deadline previously so hopefully another addition or two can be made if possible.

The squad is still decent and with a bit of luck we won't get any more injuries. 

Ricardo Quaresma
56 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

You're going over the top about how good Forrest is.

Devlin as a 10 is madness. 

Forrest is a left winger primarily, maybe we'll see him there with McKay centre and Humphrys on the right, or Gino

56 minutes ago, Spookie said:

So the boys who told us there were 3 players there yesterday is a slaver then 

Noted 

It's not over yet, if there were players talking to the recruitment team last night, we have until 11pm tonight

24 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

First season back in Europe is all about building for the future seasons in Europe.  League and Scottish cup much more important this season, and maybe next. 

Don't agree with this at all, but Boyce and Rowles injuries are a blow; we'll see what the Euro squad is after tonight; I don't care about not reaching EL or the league cup, but we have to give this our best shot, hopefully 1 or 2 players in today

13 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

Absolutely agree. He looks a real physical presence who also has quite a bit of skill. He will create space for others in the box and also chip in a few goals himself. 

I don't quite know how Robbie will fit him into the front 4 but will be interesting to see.

See above; one of the combinations is Forrest left wing, McKay centre and Humphrys on the right, or Gino

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma
Clarity

Ok, bored at work, so looked up some interesting looking free agents who I think “may” be within our reach.

Fredrik Gulbrandsen: 29 year old Norwegian CF. Last club Istanbul Basaksehir. Could knock his old club out of Europe with us. Roughly 1 in 2.3 games goal return.

Michael Hector: 30 year old Jamaican CB from Fulham.

Matej Vydra: 30 year old Czech CF of Burnley. May be on too high wages but a good goal ratio of roughly 1 in 2.3 games.

Pelle van Amersfoort: 26 year old Dutch AM from Cracovia. Good goal ratio of roughly 1 in 3 games. 6 foot 4 tall.

Nicolai Jorgensen: 31 year old Danish CF from FC Copenhagen. Good goal ratio of roughly 1 in 2.3 games.

Ryan Bennett: 32 year old English CB from Swansea.

Havard Nordtveit: 32 year old Norwegian CB from Hoffenheim.

Adem Ljajic: 30 year old Serbian AM from Besiktas. Decent goal ratio of roughly 1 in 3.3 games.

Ante Majstorovic: 28 year old Croatian CB from CH Port.

Joris Gnanon: 25 year old French CB from Saint-Etienne.

Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Djoum was another that Neilson found in September

Pallardo as well, although he couldn't really hack it after promotion.

The Old Tolbooth
25 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I am convinced that we will sign a free agent today. I also think we sign another on top of that but that will be longer (so misses out on Europe but means they are ready for domestic games helping with the burden.)

Common sense in a sea of pish 👏

If we don’t sign any free agents today then not eligible for European football. Window started well for us but does seem a disappointing end especially as the manager keeps stating how many bodies we need

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Mate you take this place a bit too seriously 

It is only a message board and I seriously doubt any one went to bed last night even giving your posts a second thought and you should probably not dwell on any one elses either

Speak for yourself. Some of us have been on tenterhooks waiting on him waking up.

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***