*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Jambof3tornado
11 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

People are missing that when Neilson said we needed a few more, he also said if it had to be free agents after the window then it will be. I don't think he expected to bring a few in today.

Still, I think this window has proven more difficult than anticipated. I don't know what they are, but hopefully valuable lessons have been learned.

You'd have thought European football would have made the window easier.

Savage not one to hide so I feel sure he'll do a podcast interview explaining what if anything has gone wrong.

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

I'd much rather have free agents than loans but not signing players before the European deadline really limits our rotation or incentive to entice better players.

So what do folk in general really think we’re still missing? All this chat about how it’s all gone wrong. I mean it’s not ideal but injuries have been the main issues. It’s unfortunate but we can’t sign 5 players every time we hit a bit of bad luck against hammer throwers and cloggers. 

1 minute ago, bawheed said:

RN pished off the board spent less than Hibs, and should have more than enough cash WTF. 

Hibs are SHITE. They are in f....... Lockdown at the moment criticising their signing policy. They have huddies and shite throughout the side tied up on long term contracts and all signed and delivered by a young guy in a long jacket that couldn't tell the difference between an American football and a baseball bat 

WTF .... Hibs have spent more than us 🤣

Have you actually had a look at who they have signed. I've read some shite on here but I'll put your post down to sheer  frustration rather than a good point made.

46 minutes ago, Clark Griswold said:

well observed. Means naff all after 5 games though. 

I can guarantee that if we were any lower right now you would be bleating like farmer Giles's lambs. 🐑

We are not finished yet.

Im sure we will pick up a player or 2 in the free market on the next day or two.

We are pretty successful in there!.  

43 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

So you would prefer us to pay money for someone than wait till the next day and get them for free? Strange. 

Nothings free in this world, free agents will recoup the transfer fee in a signing on bonus. Ironically its probably cheaper to buy from a club then sign free agents unless your signing someone no one wants.

jamboinglasgow
21 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

Tonight tells me the club views Europe as a bonus and unimportant, and if that’s the case why would we bother going to watch 

Were you expecting big European quality signings? I find Scottish football fans underestimate what is required to do well in European football. You can sign players but that is not the difference. The crucial bit is experience that develops the right mentality to play European football as opposed to Scottish football. Look at Rangers, getting to the Europa League final last season and Champions league through the qualifiers took then years to be able to do. The players know how they need to set up, how they need to play, how the referees will act. Thats what these European games are about, learning.

Add in for us, we require regular European football to grow, but to get that requires domestically to either get a Scottish cup win or third place and the old firm win the scottish cup. Get that regular and our income does not become a one off and our recruitment can grow from that.

As for the European games this season, the coaching staff and players will try their hardest, look to take their chances. Thats all I want the club to do this year.

Arthur Morgan
2 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

We are not finished yet.

Im sure we will pick up a player or 2 in the free market on the next day or two.

We are pretty successful in there!.  

Please be right 🙏🏻

It's possible that the club as well as us fans have underestimated how hard it is to convince quality players to come to Scotland. Games against European opponents and the Old Firm will have some appeal but the reality is that the majority of our games are against the likes of St Mirren and Ross County. The OF get around this obstacle by paying big wages that we simply can't match. Players and agents may also consider how moving to Scotland will affect their next career move - the perception of the Scottish game in other nations isn't going to help with this.

I also think there has been a misconception of how the club aims to develop. Many fans (myself included) will have been excited by the prospect of big European money invested in players this summer, while the club seem to have taken a strategy of long term steady growth. For example we've not spent a £1M on Simms but we have spent well over £1M on Shankland, Kio, Grant and Cochrane. And I imagine some funds will be kept aside for the January window. 

I trust that Savage is the man to take the club forwards. Rome wasn't built in one transfer window. 

16 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Very happy we kept Gino. 

yes , and others.  Thought Mackay and Kingsley may of been on the radar of others, even Devlin.

it’s not all about getting players but keeping them as well.

Just now, Forza Tertz said:

It's possible that the club as well as us fans have underestimated how hard it is to convince quality players to come to Scotland. Games against European opponents and the Old Firm will have some appeal but the reality is that the majority of our games are against the likes of St Mirren and Ross County. The OF get around this obstacle by paying big wages that we simply can't match. Players and agents may also consider how moving to Scotland will affect their next career move - the perception of the Scottish game in other nations isn't going to help with this.

I also think there has been a misconception of how the club aims to develop. Many fans (myself included) will have been excited by the prospect of big European money invested in players this summer, while the club seem to have taken a strategy of long term steady growth. For example we've not spent a £1M on Simms but we have spent well over £1M on Shankland, Kio, Grant and Cochrane. And I imagine some funds will be kept aside for the January window. 

I trust that Savage is the man to take the club forwards. Rome wasn't built in one transfer window. 

Well said 👍

6 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

You'd have thought European football would have made the window easier.

Savage not one to hide so I feel sure he'll do a podcast interview explaining what if anything has gone wrong.

It sounds like we've aimed a bit too high to me 

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

I for one don’t want to hear anymore of that shite from Joe Savage, or Robbie Neilson who aligned himself with it. We’re not closing the gap. It’s getting bigger and that’s not reversing any time soon. Massive loss of credibility from the two of them if our window is done and this is where we’re at.

If the "gap" is the distance between the OF and us, then yes its never going to narrow - just look at the money these 2 earn from European comps, and the quality of players they can attract from any part of the world.     

Much more relevant & important (imo) is for us to open up a gap between us in 3rd and the other teams who think they should be 3rd.   

52 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I was really querying whether you were arguing with the post which said Shankland wasn’t in the same class as Simms.  But the poster made a few points and you just said “that’s not true” so I was querying which point or points you thought weren’t true.

He is primarily a penalty box striker though, that’s certainly true.  He can put him self about and hold the ball up fairly well in some games but in other games like last night and St Johnstone when be came on he can be completely anonymous and have a poor first touch.

You get what you pay for though.  We can afford Shankland, we can’t afford Simms. 

Last sentence is what a lot of folks don't seem to get

Jambof3tornado
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

It sounds like we've aimed a bit too high to me 

I did think that to start with. We either underestimated what players would want or set the sights too high.

Maybe the free markets were always our best hope but the club didnt want it known.

I'm sure savage will carry on doing his job as well as he can and wont shy away from tough questions.

Jambo in Bathgate
24 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

People are missing that when Neilson said we needed a few more, he also said if it had to be free agents after the window then it will be. I don't think he expected to bring a few in today.

Still, I think this window has proven more difficult than anticipated. I don't know what they are, but hopefully valuable lessons have been learned.

There are players out there that have left clubs tonight. Wouldn’t be surprised that Joe Savage has been onto agents saying we are interested in a player but they have to become free agents. During the window the selling club hold the aces. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
11 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

So what do folk in general really think we’re still missing? All this chat about how it’s all gone wrong. I mean it’s not ideal but injuries have been the main issues. It’s unfortunate but we can’t sign 5 players every time we hit a bit of bad luck against hammer throwers and cloggers. 

What our manager as said since the start of the window.

A RCB, another 10, and another wide attacker with pace

1 minute ago, BlueRiver said:

Still missing a number 10, RCB, back up goalkeeper and probably another striker. Will save much opinion on needing a centre midfielder who can drive us forward, get ahead of the attackers and chip in with some goals until I've seen the new German midfielder play.

As for your 2nd point, while it could be argued that our squad is stronger than last season, the demands that are going to be placed on it over the next couple of months meant that we needed to not only improve the quality but also the quantity. Yes, we've been unlucky with injuries but we really should have a squad that could cope with and still be more than enough to beat the likes of Kilmarnock at home. I still think we're short of 4 or 5 players and I know I'm not alone in this opinion. It's a vicious circle really, we do well, finish 3rd, have more games the next season, more games means more opportunities for more injuries (which unfortunately has happened). We want to finish best of the rest, so we need to invest in a squad to do so. I'd argue that all the teams who realistically will be fighting for 3rd place have improved their squads like we have, the only difference is they don't have the extra European games and associated travelling to impact their squads. With this in mind it should have been our aim to get together a squad to cope with these demands and right now I think we're lacking a few players. Maybe we'll pick up a couple of free transfers to rectify this, however I'm not convinced we're going to be as lucky as we were with McKay.

36 minutes ago, Carter said:

Savage and Neilson do not control the budget. Not sure why that's proving difficult to comprehend. Managers and SD's will always look to sign players. Board have quite clearly overruled or restricted the budget. 

Not sure we can pin this on RN or JS. Look at the money people and ask questions.

Maybe the players we wanted to sign didn't fancy signing for us, just a thought.

I'd take Ramirez and a defender after the deadline given the standard of Barrie and Kingsley.

Imagine Souttar came back on loan, worth it just for the drama.

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Maybe the players we wanted to sign didn't fancy signing for us, just a thought.

True, but we really need to have a number of targets for that reason. We should be checking whether players are interested in coming or their clubs will allow them to move here (if it's a loan signing) before we reach the last day of the transfer window.

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, graygo said:

That would be fine if Wimbledons just finished and there's more than a month left to get alternatives.  Joe has had so much praise for knowing the market but its clear we needed more and now we are hoping we can get a plan C or D player on a free or a player who has very little other options.  

Not bedwetting but they get a lot of praise when it goes well and the talk sounds great so the opposite now. 

TynecastleBC5

Does anybody know where we can find a list of players due to be free agents in the next 24 hours? Be interesting to see who we could be aiming for.

1 hour ago, Leisham38 said:

I do admire the posters that post ‘imminent’ or ‘todays the day’ or ‘2 in for discussions’ hoping they nail a coincidence and can be called ITK!

Think this thread has shown there is no such thing but I’d agree, a chart of the regular nonsense posters would be good. Especially ahead of January 

image.jpeg.fcc48a2e9372d5d78cac7b3622544e77.jpeg

Naisys Tackle
2 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I'd take Ramirez and a defender after the deadline given the standard of Barrie and Kingsley.

Imagine Souttar came back on loan, worth it just for the drama.

You cant loan anyone after the deadline?  Ramirez is still an aberdeen player. 

3 minutes ago, dougal said:

Still missing a number 10, RCB, back up goalkeeper and probably another striker. Will save much opinion on needing a centre midfielder who can drive us forward, get ahead of the attackers and chip in with some goals until I've seen the new German midfielder play.

As for your 2nd point, while it could be argued that our squad is stronger than last season, the demands that are going to be placed on it over the next couple of months meant that we needed to not only improve the quality but also the quantity. Yes, we've been unlucky with injuries but we really should have a squad that could cope with and still be more than enough to beat the likes of Kilmarnock at home. I still think we're short of 4 or 5 players and I know I'm not alone in this opinion. It's a vicious circle really, we do well, finish 3rd, have more games the next season, more games means more opportunities for more injuries (which unfortunately has happened). We want to finish best of the rest, so we need to invest in a squad to do so. I'd argue that all the teams who realistically will be fighting for 3rd place have improved their squads like we have, the only difference is they don't have the extra European games and associated travelling to impact their squads. With this in mind it should have been our aim to get together a squad to cope with these demands and right now I think we're lacking a few players. Maybe we'll pick up a couple of free transfers to rectify this, however I'm not convinced we're going to be as lucky as we were with McKay.

Maybe we need to realise that Europe can’t be a priority this season and manage our team accordingly now? 

We may be short in a couple of spaces but we’ve got a big squad that’s more than capable of finishing 3rd again. 

You say we haven’t invested in the squad to achieve this but I think we’ve probably just had one of our highest spending transfer windows in years. 

I mean before it kicked off we would have all wanted signings like Rowles and Shankland. I doubt anybody would’ve been overly gutted about Kio and Humphrys. 

For me I’m most disappointed not to have strengthened at the back but not enough to descend to the level of concern in this thread. It’s a bit hysterical (not your response to me just the thread in general).

3 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Stories tonight that he has been freed

Not keen on him anyway

Edited by JAYEL

Jambo in Bathgate
17 minutes ago, DS98 said:

🤣

I love it when folk spout the line about fans attitude having any baring whatsoever on the team’s performances. Brilliant.

And perennial losers? Hearts ain’t for you bud. Nor any other Scottish team outside the uglies.

1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

I did think that to start with. We either underestimated what players would want or set the sights too high.

Maybe the free markets were always our best hope but the club didnt want it known.

I'm sure savage will carry on doing his job as well as he can and wont shy away from tough questions.

Trouble is we need to be paying large fees to bring in players to compete with the Uglies. To do this without going into debt we need to grow the club. According to our new loan signing we have 1000 fans on the waiting list for season tickets. We are where we are because we have a third of the match day crowd of the Uglies this affects the budget and how we do business. Rangers and Celtic have their transfer failures but they are able to absorb these. Our failures led to us being demoted and starting again from scratch. 

It's been a good window, we have improved, just a shame the injuries have done us in.

Savage has come out and said Humphrys is one we have been interested in for a while...not buying that at all, I can see right through that bullshit. Total panic loan imo.

2 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

It's been a good window, we have improved, just a shame the injuries have done us in.

Savage has come out and said Humphrys is one we have been interested in for a while...not buying that at all, I can see right through that bullshit. Total panic loan imo.

Maybe your post is just made up bullshit?  

6 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Contract terminated.  Seemingly his wife is a nightmare.

Jambo in Bathgate
1 minute ago, JAYEL said:

Stories tonight that he has been freed

Not keen on him anyway

If we had shown interest to Aberdeen they were unlikely to accept a loan or would have wanted a fee. If he is now a free agent that may change the situation. Time will tell.;

Churchill Barrier
7 minutes ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

Trouble is we need to be paying large fees to bring in players to compete with the Uglies. To do this without going into debt we need to grow the club. According to our new loan signing we have 1000 fans on the waiting list for season tickets. We are where we are because we have a third of the match day crowd of the Uglies this affects the budget and how we do business. Rangers and Celtic have their transfer failures but they are able to absorb these. Our failures led to us being demoted and starting again from scratch. 

Our failure was our former owner loving Levein and not seeing the damage he was doing. Nothing to do with money

Edited by Churchill Barrier
Word

4 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Maybe we need to realise that Europe can’t be a priority this season and manage our team accordingly now? 

We may be short in a couple of spaces but we’ve got a big squad that’s more than capable of finishing 3rd again. 

You say we haven’t invested in the squad to achieve this but I think we’ve probably just had one of our highest spending transfer windows in years. 

I mean before it kicked off we would have all wanted signings like Rowles and Shankland. I doubt anybody would’ve been overly gutted about Kio and Humphrys. 

For me I’m most disappointed not to have strengthened at the back but not enough to descend to the level of concern in this thread. It’s a bit hysterical (not your response to me just the thread in general).

was Europe ever a priority ? And I mean that in the way we were guaranteed group stage football so in all honesty yes we want to compete but the league is the real priority and getting back in European group football and growing season on season whilst building finances and momentum.

we were in the championship 18 months ago. 
I honestly don’t think it’s unrealistic to think we don’t expect or budget to get into European quarter finals at the first time of asking.  Aberdeen never managed it in how many attempts ? 
we all need a bit of realism and patience. 
not directed at you by the way just in general my feelings

5 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

for gods sakes. Aye ok

Jambo in Bathgate
2 minutes ago, Churchill Barrier said:

Our failure was our owner loving Levein and not seeing the damage he was doing. Nothing to do with money

I’m talking about the duff players Levein signed and cost us an arm and a leg in wages. 

2 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

was Europe ever a priority ? And I mean that in the way we were guaranteed group stage football so in all honesty yes we want to compete but the league is the real priority and getting back in European group football and growing season on season whilst building finances and momentum.

we were in the championship 18 months ago. 
I honestly don’t think it’s unrealistic to think we don’t expect or budget to get into European quarter finals at the first time of asking.  Aberdeen never managed it in how many attempts ? 
we all need a bit of realism and patience. 
not directed at you by the way just in general my feelings

By some of the posts on here you’d think we needed a squad to sustain a push to win it. Without as many injuries our team would be, and still is, perfectly fine to consider 3rd in the group even with rotations for league games. Unfortunately we’ve been hit by quite a few injuries in key positions in short succession. 

I think in general we’re in agreement. I was just kinda hinting with my post that I wouldn’t be overly gutted if we played a weaker side away in Florence with an eye on the league instead of vice versa. 

Churchill Barrier
1 minute ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

I’m talking about the duff players Levein signed and cost us an arm and a leg in wages. 

True, endorsed by ann budge who couldn't see how poor his judgment was.

Even after sacking him she was asked why he was still employed at the club,  her answer

Because i rate him highly 

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

That would be fine if Wimbledons just finished and there's more than a month left to get alternatives.  Joe has had so much praise for knowing the market but its clear we needed more and now we are hoping we can get a plan C or D player on a free or a player who has very little other options.  

Not bedwetting but they get a lot of praise when it goes well and the talk sounds great so the opposite now. 

Opposite, why? 

Don't judge this transfer window before the season is done. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Churchill Barrier said:

Even after sacking him she was asked why he was still employed at the club,  her answer

WTF has that got to do with anything?

Put that shite in the bin. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Churchill Barrier said:

Our failure was our former owner loving Levein and not seeing the damage he was doing. Nothing to do with money

3 minutes ago, Churchill Barrier said:

CL running a out your heed 3 seasons later. 

😭🤣🤣🤣

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***