*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

4 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

If Wolves sign this dude, probably pushes Ronan even further down the pecking order there. Wonder if we are still interested..

Nunes is a superb player.

Got to imagine Ronan will be moving on now and I definitely hope we're interested.

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

BackOfTheNet

Whether we sign Ronan or not, he’s not the step up quality over quantity signing some think he is. Then again, the same folk think Nouble is the next Simms, so not surprising people think he’s the next coming.

Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

Whether we sign Ronan or not, he’s not the step up quality over quantity signing some think he is. Then again, the same folk think Nouble is the next Simms, so not surprising people think he’s the next coming.

People said that about Shankland. The fact a decent Wolves side aren't sure says a lot. Good player and would be a good addition 

jamboinglasgow

Had a look at how many signings each Premiership team has made so far this window. Just doing first team players (and went off this website so might be a day or two out of date https://nareystoepoker.blogspot.com/p/all-spfl-transfers-summer-2022-window.html) This will also include loan players made permanent. 

Hibs - 12

Aberdeen - 11

Kilmarnock - 11

Ross County - 10

St Johnstone - 10

Celtic - 7

Dundee United - 7

Rangers - 7

St Mirren - 7

Hearts - 6

Livingston - 6

Motherwell - 4

1 hour ago, **** the SPFL said:

Not disputing that but if the huns end up in EL with us then as someone has already posted they get 60% and we get 40% £1.2m as opposed to £600k in ECL. So the money is only a big deal if we happen to win games in EL. We could win 3/4 games in ECL as opposed to possibly none in EL

We'd actually get the 60% share and the Huns would get 40%.  Although we didn't win the cup, we took the cup winners spot in the EL as Rangers already had a ECL spot so the cup winners spot went to us for finishing 3rd.  If they end up in the EL groups they do so as a consequence of dropping out of the ECL, not as cup winners.

Confused?  Join the club!

BackOfTheNet
24 minutes ago, Jeff said:

People said that about Shankland. The fact a decent Wolves side aren't sure says a lot. Good player and would be a good addition 

Nah. He’s good. But he’s not a massive step up from what we already have good.

BackOfTheNet
5 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Had a look at how many signings each Premiership team has made so far this window. Just doing first team players (and went off this website so might be a day or two out of date https://nareystoepoker.blogspot.com/p/all-spfl-transfers-summer-2022-window.html) This will also include loan players made permanent. 

Hibs - 12

Aberdeen - 11

Kilmarnock - 11

Ross County - 10

St Johnstone - 10

Celtic - 7

Dundee United - 7

Rangers - 7

St Mirren - 7

Hearts - 6

Livingston - 6

Motherwell - 4

Despite the weekend’s result I’d say place your bets on Motherwell finishing bottom 2.

37 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Me. It just makes sense

Another poster once very confidently predicted the same about Simms ....

32 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

He's a single quality player. As such he can only be filed under quality. He cannot be filed under quantity!

4 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Nah. He’s good. But he’s not a massive step up from what we already have good.

I’d say from what we have seen of both players that Ronan is on a par with Jorge Grant. I’d question whether we need him really. I think we dropped the idea as soon as Grant came in if I’m honest. We’re pretty well covered in Ronans ballpark position so, take him if we can get him as an extra but let’s not spend too much time on it 

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

https://www.totalsportal.com/money/uefa-europa-league-revenue-distribution/amp/

The info about the market pool is pretty vague, but it's based on the size of the market from our country

That's an understatement Smithee!

However you're right that the total market pool for the group stage will be distributed amongst each country who has a team in the group stage, relative to the value of media rights of each country.  So England will get a much bigger allocation than Scotland.  Each country's share is then distributed between the clubs from that country who make the group stage.

Hence if we make the EL group stage, it's to our financial advantage if Rangers qualify for the ECL groups, as we'd keep all of Scotland's share of the EL money rather than have to share it with the huns.  If that was to transpire, we could be at least £2m better off without kicking a ball than if we end up in the Conference group stages.  We'd have to go some to make up that difference through performances in the Conference, even if we didn't pick up a point in the EL.  We'd certainly need to qualify from the group at least.

41 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I’d say from what we have seen of both players that Ronan is on a par with Jorge Grant. I’d question whether we need him really. I think we dropped the idea as soon as Grant came in if I’m honest. We’re pretty well covered in Ronans ballpark position so, take him if we can get him as an extra but let’s not spend too much time on it 

You think that Jorge Grant would make it onto the bench for a premiership club like Wolves? 

That seems highly unlikely to me. Ronan would be a massive signing for us and Grant would be his understudy at best.

Arthur Morgan
58 minutes ago, Kennyfragg13 said:

Leeds after gnonto Zurich’s main striker for 5m gd news if true

Let's hope it happens before our game on Thursday! 

Watt-Zeefuik

Robbie's said nobody before tomorrow so it's a certain that we'll have a Simms-type loan signing tomorrow. Up on a plane in the morning, scarf over head by close of business.

7 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Hibs - 12

Aberdeen - 11

Kilmarnock - 11

Ross County - 10

St Johnstone - 10

Celtic - 7

Dundee United - 7

Rangers - 7

St Mirren - 7

Hearts - 6

Livingston - 6

Motherwell - 4

Assume the media have been running the “faceless cast of thousands” routine and panicking about all this activity?

7 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

He’s one of two rumours folk can talk about, so he’s been talked about to death. On here, that means massive instant polarisation. Some have already got his name printed on the back of their jammies. Some have are practicing booing effigies of him in their living room ready for his first game. That’s how we roll. 

FWIW, I think he’d be a smart acquisition. We’ve not had a shoot on sight attacking midfielder since Rudi. Whilst Ronan is nowhere near St Rudolf’s ability level, it is a style of player we need and he is proven at spl level. 

if signed we would have:

McKay gliding around the pitch like a French duke, benevolently bestowing assists on the commoners around him, Forrest buzzing around like a terrier who got into the adhd meds again, Boyce causing chaos in front of the defence like a yak loose in an antique shop. 

If you stick a long range midfield sniper in the mix, we have a blend that would be brutal to defend against. 

Teams drop deep to prevent Shanks getting on cutbacks and through balls - suddenly lots of space on the D. 

Add Grant into the mix, we have lots of different tactical toys behind the line striker. 

i think he’d be a good pickup. 

jamboinglasgow
35 minutes ago, CMc said:

Assume the media have been running the “faceless cast of thousands” routine and panicking about all this activity?

Yup, when you look at the number of Scots in the starting XIs of the weekend, its amazing the press dont criticise some teams more.

Motherwell: 6 (squad of 11 Scots out of 22)

Dundee United: 5 (squad of 21 Scots out of 30)

Hearts: 5 (squad of 14 Scots out of 25)

Hibs: 5 (squad of 11 Scots out of 27)

Livingston: 5 (squad of 10 Scots out of 24)

Kilmarnock: 4 (squad of 13 Scots out of 29)

St Johnstone: 4 (squad of 17 Scots out of 31)

St Mirren: 4 (squad of 11 Scots out of 23)

Celtic: 3 (squad of 10 Scots out of 31)

Rangers: 3 (squad of 11 Scots out of 35)

Ross County: 3 (squad of 8 Scots out of 27)

Aberdeen: 1 (squad of 8 scots out of 26)

Dundee United have the highest percentage of Scots in their squad (70%, followed by us with 56%.) Ross County have the lowest (30% , Aberdeen next with 31%.) In fact four teams' squads are made up by only 32% Scots or less. Only 4 teams have at least half their squad eligible to play for Scotland.

Bazzas right boot
48 minutes ago, CMc said:

He’s one of two rumours folk can talk about, so he’s been talked about to death. On here, that means massive instant polarisation. Some have already got his name printed on the back of their jammies. Some have are practicing booing effigies of him in their living room ready for his first game. That’s how we roll. 

FWIW, I think he’d be a smart acquisition. We’ve not had a shoot on sight attacking midfielder since Rudi. Whilst Ronan is nowhere near St Rudolf’s ability level, it is a style of player we need and he is proven at spl level. 

if signed we would have:

McKay gliding around the pitch like a French duke, benevolently bestowing assists on the commoners around him, Forrest buzzing around like a terrier who got into the adhd meds again, Boyce causing chaos in front of the defence like a yak loose in an antique shop. 

If you stick a long range midfield sniper in the mix, we have a blend that would be brutal to defend against. 

Teams drop deep to prevent Shanks getting on cutbacks and through balls - suddenly lots of space on the D. 

Add Grant into the mix, we have lots of different tactical toys behind the line striker. 

:omfg:

Fantastic use of the English language. 

Poetic. 

Opportunity missed for Shankland to "pounce like a tiger"/ "stealth like a shark"  or the likes  tho. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yup, when you look at the number of Scots in the starting XIs of the weekend, its amazing the press dont criticise some teams more.

Motherwell: 6 (squad of 11 Scots out of 22)

Dundee United: 5 (squad of 21 Scots out of 30)

Hearts: 5 (squad of 14 Scots out of 25)

Hibs: 5 (squad of 11 Scots out of 27)

Livingston: 5 (squad of 10 Scots out of 24)

Kilmarnock: 4 (squad of 13 Scots out of 29)

St Johnstone: 4 (squad of 17 Scots out of 31)

St Mirren: 4 (squad of 11 Scots out of 23)

Celtic: 3 (squad of 10 Scots out of 31)

Rangers: 3 (squad of 11 Scots out of 35)

Ross County: 3 (squad of 8 Scots out of 27)

Aberdeen: 1 (squad of 8 scots out of 26)

Dundee United have the highest percentage of Scots in their squad (70%, followed by us with 56%.) Ross County have the lowest (30% , Aberdeen next with 31%.) In fact four teams' squads are made up by only 32% Scots or less. Only 4 teams have at least half their squad eligible to play for Scotland.

Fair observation. 

Although not Scottish,  we have a couple of NI lads too... Who are British. 

I also noticed this with the likes of Arsenal,  man City,  Chelsea,  Liverpool in regards to English players. They have almost none starting. 

18 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Two goals in 25 games. Some find for them, right enough. 

You haven’t seen him play this year have you? Go on, you can say it. He’s been one of the best on the park in all 3 games for Livi this year and made both Rangers and Hibs’ defence look silly throughout both games (admittedly not hard to do against Hibs). So I’ll say it again, great find by Livi. 

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Kennyfragg13 said:

Leeds after gnonto Zurich’s main striker for 5m gd news if true

You just know he'll sign of with a hatrick. 

jamboinglasgow
Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

Fair observation. 

I also noticed this with the likes of Arsenal,  man City,  Chelsea,  Liverpool in regards to English players. They have almost none starting. 

To be fair, I use Scots as the view is for the sake of the national team, you want more Scots playing. But agree it seems to be a more common trend. In England it seems mad there is a lack of English players considering how highly young English players are regarded.

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

To be fair, I use Scots as the view is for the sake of the national team, you want more Scots playing. But agree it seems to be a more common trend. In England it seems mad there is a lack of English players considering how highly young English players are regarded.

Yeah,  I got your point and it's a good observation. 

The EPL has a problem,  most of the  best English players are squad players for the top teams or play around the middle teir clubs. 

I think Liverpool had 2 English players starting,  did man city have any starting?

Arsenal have a couple of young lads. 

Man utd a few defenders. 

Celtic and rangers have very few Scots in their regular 11 now. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

The EPL has a problem,  most of the  best English players are squad players for the top teams or play around the middle teir clubs. 

I think Liverpool had 2 English players starting,  did man city have any starting?

Man utd a few defenders. 

Yeah. I find it weird the papers dont make more of that, considering the Old FIrm sit on academys full of the best young Scottish talent. Rangers for example (if their wikipedia page is to believed) have 46 players between the B team and U18 team. In fact when you look at how many have got more than a handful of games, in recent years for Celtic it has been Walsh, Ralston (but only last season) and Mikey Johnston. For Rangers, apart from Patterson, there is no one who has played more than a handful of games. (And before any comments, I agree Hearts have been very poor and I think Robbie is too zealous about playing youngsters when they meet his (what appears) too high standard, and its something the board should speak to him about.)

6 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

27 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Fair observation. 

Arguably, they are Scots, too.

Originally the Romans used Scotia to refer to Ireland. The Venerable Bede (c. 700) uses the word Scottorum for the nation from Ireland who settled part of the Pictish lands: "Scottorum nationem in Pictorum parte recipit." This we can infer to mean the arrival of the people, also known as the Gaels, in the Kingdom of Dál Riata, in the western edge of Scotland.

BTW, Dalry Road is named after Dal Riata.

BTW, Scottorum is an anagram of “to scrotum”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_people

9 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Hibs - 12

Aberdeen - 11

Kilmarnock - 11

Ross County - 10

St Johnstone - 10

Celtic - 7

Dundee United - 7

Rangers - 7

St Mirren - 7

Hearts - 6

Livingston - 6

Motherwell - 4

So the teams with the double digit signings look in the worst state. Coincidence ?

9 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Despite the weekend’s result I’d say place your bets on Motherwell finishing bottom 2.

I still think St Johnstone

BackOfTheNet
1 hour ago, CMc said:

if signed we would have:

FWIW I think he’d be a good pickup too (dependent on the cost), but he’s as good a pickup as Grant, or Rowles, or maybe Shankland. Point I was making is that it’s not a serious step up like some are making it out to be. I try not to be polarising with players, I prefer to look at everything in context. As you say, plenty other folk on here are happy to go to the extremes. :wink:

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I still think St Johnstone

Could be Motherwell and St Johnstone. 

That's my guess this year. 

15 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

FWIW I think he’d be a good pickup too (dependent on the cost), but he’s as good a pickup as Grant, or Rowles, or maybe Shankland. Point I was making is that it’s not a serious step up like some are making it out to be. I try not to be polarising with players, I prefer to look at everything in context. As you say, plenty other folk on here are happy to go to the extremes. :wink:

I’m not too sure what you’re expecting?! Wolves have been wanting to keep him and have had him on the bench for all their games so far.

No a criticism but what ‘calibre’ of player are you expecting with our wage structure and finances?

8 hours ago, cosanostra said:

You think that Jorge Grant would make it onto the bench for a premiership club like Wolves? 

That seems highly unlikely to me. Ronan would be a massive signing for us and Grant would be his understudy at best.

I'm not sure how a player being assessed for squad involvement at a likely top 10 English Premier League club would not be a top acquisition for a club at our level. Also a bit confused about the comparison with a player who couldn't get a game in a struggling Peterborough side in the second half of last season. 

I see Jamie Hamilton has signed an extension with Hamilton to 2024.

Looks like no club were willing to pay the compensation.

Not that we were interested but I know he was mentioned a few times by people on here.

9 hours ago, Jeff said:

Mind when people thought Klopp was holding onto Woodburn last summer, because he needed another midfield player for his squad?

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Man utd a few defenders. 

Do most of the England first team squad not get decent game time at the top clubs?

Pickford - starter for Everton

James/TTA/Walker/Tripper - all start for Chelsea, Liverpool, City and Newcastle

McGuire - Man U captain 

Coady - Wolves now Everton and gets games 

Guehi - starter at Palace

Stones - the one who doesn't get many games, but goes through spells 

White - Arsenal

Chillwell/Shaw - starter when fit for Chelsea/manager dependent

Rice and Phillips - starters when fit for West Ham and Leeds. Phillips may now struggle for game time 

Mount - starter for Chelsea

Grealish - plays a lot for City 

Sterling - rotated at City but played a lot, will play a lot for Chelsea 

Saka - starter for Arsenal 

Golden - regular gametime at city 

Kane - starts every game for Spurs 

When you've got a 20 team league with good players top to bottom you don't need the best players concentrated in one or two teams.

Only those in bold are at mid table clubs or struggle for game time. 

Edited by Taffin

BackOfTheNet
11 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

I’m not too sure what you’re expecting?! Wolves have been wanting to keep him and have had him on the bench for all their games so far.

No a criticism but what ‘calibre’ of player are you expecting with our wage structure and finances?

My point wasn’t about my expectations, but the endorsement of others. I said he’d be a good acquisition, but anyone pretending a player that played alright for St. Mirren last season would be a serious step up is over egging it in my opinion. It’s not about the calibre I’m expecting, it’s about the calibre others are projecting here.

The Old Tolbooth
8 hours ago, cosanostra said:

That's exactly the way I see it too, Ronan would be a step up from Grant, but would give us huge options in the middle of the park, and once Benny comes back, all of a sudden we're spoiled for choice. 

jamboinglasgow
12 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

I see Jamie Hamilton has signed an extension with Hamilton to 2024.

Looks like no club were willing to pay the compensation.

Not that we were interested but I know he was mentioned a few times by people on here.

The compensation system is good at helping protect clubs from getting screwed over completely by big clubs, so they at least get some compensation. But this situation shows the other side of it. Jamie Hamilton is stuck at the club because he cant get a contract at another club because its a big fee, and i doubt any club will pay the amount Hamilton would expect to sell the player.

17 minutes ago, Carter said:

I'm not sure how a player being assessed for squad involvement at a likely top 10 English Premier League club would not be a top acquisition for a club at our level. Also a bit confused about the comparison with a player who couldn't get a game in a struggling Peterborough side in the second half of last season. 

Exactly. Signing CR would be massive.

2 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

That's exactly the way I see it too, Ronan would be a step up from Grant, but would give us huge options in the middle of the park, and once Benny comes back, all of a sudden we're spoiled for choice. 

That sort of choice would be a great problem to have.

2 hours ago, CMc said:

Good post, but need to question this bit - surely ADHD meds are designed to stop people being so hyperactive (although to be fair, I don't know about its effect on dogs, so apologies if it does the opposite to them!).  And we probably shouldn't joke about conditions in this day and age.

Btw, if memory serves, did Rudi not have ADHD, but preferred not to take hi medication on matchdays precisely because he didn't want to be calmed down?

Brick Tamland
1 minute ago, Forrest said:

Good post, but need to question this bit - surely ADHD meds are designed to stop people being so hyperactive (although to be fair, I don't know about its effect on dogs, so apologies if it does the opposite to them!).  And we probably shouldn't joke about conditions in this day and age.

Btw, if memory serves, did Rudi not have ADHD, but preferred not to take hi medication on matchdays precisely because he didn't want to be calmed down?

Rudi definitely took FTH medication whenever we played the Leith Brazil. 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Do most of the England first team squad not get decent game time at the top clubs?

McGuire - Man U captain 

White - Arsenal

Rice and Phillips - starters when fit for West Ham and Leeds. Phillips may now struggle for game time 

When you've got a 20 team league with good players top to bottom you don't need the best players concentrated in one or two teams.

Suppose,  more of a spread. 

English starters in general are quite low tho for each club. 

Looking at "top" clubs 

Arsenal,  3/11

City 2/11

Chelsea 4/11

Liverpool 3/11

Spurs 2/11

Man utd 2/11

20 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

My point wasn’t about my expectations, but the endorsement of others. I said he’d be a good acquisition, but anyone pretending a player that played alright for St. Mirren last season would be a serious step up is over egging it in my opinion. It’s not about the calibre I’m expecting, it’s about the calibre others are projecting here.

I would ignore the expectation of others on here. As you can see they differ greatly from person to person. Some people are happy offering a contract to Scott Allan who hasn’t had interest from any club in our league or the league below.

I didn’t watch enough St Mirren games to be able to give you a proper answer on how well he’d do with us. My mates a St Mirren fan (I know) and I asked him who he felt was better out of Ronan and McGrath. He said they’re two different players with Ronan being a deeper defender who connects the defence and attack but felt he was the better all round player. That’s one persons opinion but I would say McGrath is more similar to Grant whereas Ronan is a type of midfielder we don’t really have.

18 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

The compensation system is good at helping protect clubs from getting screwed over completely by big clubs, so they at least get some compensation. But this situation shows the other side of it. Jamie Hamilton is stuck at the club because he cant get a contract at another club because its a big fee, and i doubt any club will pay the amount Hamilton would expect to sell the player.

Pretty sure it hampered Cochrane initially as well. Although I’m assuming that we dropped that fee based on him going to Queen of the South.

Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

Suppose,  more of a spread. 

English starters in general are quite low tho for each club. 

Looking at "top" clubs 

Arsenal,  3/11

City 2/11

Chelsea 4/11

Liverpool 3/11

Spurs 2/11

Man utd 2/11

Depends how you're defining a 'starter'. Most of those teams don't play the same 11 every week.

In recent years Foden, Sterling, Grealish, Stones, Walker have all played a lot of games for City for example.

The only area if say the English national team isn't great, is at centre back...and even then they've got good young players coming through. On the whole, I reckon they've got one of the best leagues and one of the best pools of international players.

Off topic but interesting though as it does raise good questions about the value of targeting domestic/home grown players or not 

Clark Griswold

So any signing news/rumours folks? not sure what Foden, Sterling etc has to do with us signing new players.

Edited by Clark Griswold

36 minutes ago, Taffin said:

McGuire - Man U captain 

White - Arsenal

What’s that got to do with hearts transfers🙄

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***