*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

3 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Was Robbie at plot ceremony today ?

No, Ann budge mate, she says they’re working on 2 signings, RN initially wanted 3 but has changed his mind to 2 and the way she was talking they’re both from England 👍🏻

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

Glad to see the information I was given about Davenport appears true - never had any reason to doubt it.

I’ve heard it’s a bit more than “interest” at this stage as well. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
7 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

No, Ann budge mate, she says they’re working on 2 signings, RN initially wanted 3 but has changed his mind to 2 and the way she was talking they’re both from England 👍🏻

Cheers for info buddy 

11 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Jacob Davenport doesn’t fill me with excitement but In Robbie/Joe I trust.

Every signing is a gamble in the markets we’re in but I’m quite excited. Highly rated when younger but lost his way and looking to spark his career. Could be the next Beni or fail to fully find his feet (like Woodburn under different circumstances as he was only a loan). Before anyone pulls me up, I’m talking about how well he may play for us, not directly comparing him to Beni or Woodburn. 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Every signing is a gamble in the markets we’re in but I’m quite excited. Highly rated when younger but lost his way and looking to spark his career. Could be the next Beni or fail to fully find his feet (like Woodburn under different circumstances as he was only a loan). Before anyone pulls me up, I’m talking about how well he may play for us, not directly comparing him to Beni or Woodburn. 

Damn, was just about to pull you up. Spoil sport.:muggy:

The Real Maroonblood
32 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

Was at the plot ceremony today. 3 things I took away from it.

1. Robbie wants 2 more signings.

2. Robbie contacted AB once he won the title with Dundee Utd to tell her he wanted to come back to Hearts.

3. The club are running at least one European charter flight.

Plot ceremony expertly hosted by Garry Halliday and Ann Budge

The charter flight is good to hear.

Must keep in the wife’s good books.

Davenport looks to be a Championship quality CM at 23 whose fallen away a bit with fitness issues. 

I'm excited. Think when you make these gambles its important to be well covered, which we are. If Davenport is poor like Woodburn, then he doesn't play and the team are no worse for it. 

He seems like a defensive midfielder, so possibly with a view of unseating Haring and competing with Devlin/Beni which seems a good idea. 

PhoenixHearts
17 hours ago, feej said:

we're being told by Robbie and Joe it's better quality they want to improve all over the pitch, to me and this is my personal opinion I've not seen anyone coming in that's better than what we've lost or better than is already here.

Is Forrest an improvement on GMS and Gino?

Is Rowles an improvement on Taylor Moore?

Is Jorge Grant an improvement on McEneff?

PhoenixHearts
2 hours ago, DC_92 said:

I've said it before, but Haring didn't look like he was getting a new deal until Beni's injury, and when he did it was only one year with the option of another.

Someone suggested the CM signing would be a loan to cover for Baningime's injury, but I see this as effectively Haring's role. I think the intention was always to bring in another first choice level CM with Haring dropping down the pecking order and possibly moving on. Beni's injury has just delayed that.

He had a poor game yesterday but I like him as a player. A good squad option but not first choice when everyone is fit for me.

The intensity from Beni and Devlin was a key part of our team identity last season and some of that can be lost with Haring there. You certainly can't pair him with Smith in our system and expect it to work.

Haring played far more than both Devkin or Beni last season. Besides a brief spell around September and October, he was the only constant in our midfield during our best season in years.

Haring was a "key part of our identity".

Mr Elwood P
38 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

Just a centre back and centre midfielder to troll the numpties ...

maroonplatoon87

Hopefully the signings to come are of a better standard. Found our summer business pretty unimaginative. We ended the season with thoughts of some marquee signings with the additional money we’ll generate from the European campaign, however i don’t feel the squad thats started this season looks better than the one that finished last. If we’re trying to sign the lad Davenport who hasn’t played a competitive game in 2022 then that only strengthens my opinion. All in all very underwhelmed 

4 minutes ago, maroonplatoon87 said:

Hopefully the signings to come are of a better standard. Found our summer business pretty unimaginative. We ended the season with thoughts of some marquee signings with the additional money we’ll generate from the European campaign, however i don’t feel the squad thats started this season looks better than the one that finished last. If we’re trying to sign the lad Davenport who hasn’t played a competitive game in 2022 then that only strengthens my opinion. All in all very underwhelmed 

Liverpool or Man City could be your outlet m8. 

maroonplatoon87
3 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Liverpool or Man City could be your outlet m8. 

Honestly mate, rotten patter

Selkirkhmfc1874
7 minutes ago, maroonplatoon87 said:

You don't think Forrest is upgrade on Woodburn? Rowles and Neilson upgrade on Moore? Shankland will score goals , Grant looks good signing and Cochrane also decent 

maroonplatoon87
1 minute ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

You don't think Forrest is upgrade on Woodburn? Rowles and Neilson upgrade on Moore? Shankland will score goals , Grant looks good signing and Cochrane also decent 

Maybe, but flip it and say Rowles and Neilson are a downgrade on Souttar and Shankland ain’t better than Simms

11 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Is Forrest an improvement on GMS and Gino?

Is Rowles an improvement on Taylor Moore?

Is Jorge Grant an improvement on McEneff

Ok, possibly Forrest, he looks to have the tools, let's hope he's a consistent performer.

Too early to judge Rowles.

I think Grant replaces Woodburn not  McEneff, however he needs to be a starter so we can judge him. Where's McEneff's replacement?

The guys you mention were/are mainly bench warmers I'm looking at the first 11.

Where's Souttar's replacement?

Where's Simms replacement?

It's not Shankland, different players Shankland comes alive in the box, Simms, channel runner with power and pace

Haring and Smith need upgraded as was seen yesterday.

RustyRightPeg
4 minutes ago, Pap said:

Didnt someone say we are making a "marquee" signing

The window shuts in a month. Plenty time for that to still happen. 

8 minutes ago, maroonplatoon87 said:

I dunno, 

Rowles & Shankland are both internationals. 

We snapped up Lewis Neilson, a promising CB for free

Cochrane we turned permanent

Grant is an English Championship quality midfielder

Forrest was one of Livi's best players and is a huge upgrade of GMS & Gino which takes the pressure off McKay

I'd say we've not had any box office type players, but all are of a high standard. 

maroonplatoon87
1 minute ago, feej said:

Ok, possibly Forrest, he looks to have the tools, let's hope he's a consistent performer.

I think Grant replaces Woodburn not  McEneff, however he needs to be a starter so we can judge him. Where's McEneff's replacement?

It's not Shankland, different players Shankland comes alive in the box, Simms, channel runner with power and pace

Thats where i’m at, whilst the squad may look better the staring 11 is not

11 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Haring played far more than both Devkin or Beni last season. Besides a brief spell around September and October, he was the only constant in our midfield during our best season in years.

Haring was a "key part of our identity".

Pre-split starts in the league:

Baningime - 23

Devlin - 22

Haring - 15

Devlin and Baningime were the first picks when fit. There were probably only a couple of games where neither started prior to wrapping up 3rd. Those two made the key difference to our midfield last season in my opinion.

As I said, I like Haring and he offers something different, but there's a reason he's third choice and that's because Neilson prefers having the energy of Devlin and Baningime. If you do play Haring, you need someone with legs alongside him.

Selkirkhmfc1874
3 minutes ago, maroonplatoon87 said:

Maybe, but flip it and say Rowles and Neilson are a downgrade on Souttar and Shankland ain’t better than Simms

Souttar class but he one injury away from bring finished and Shankland will score far more than Simms imo

davemclaren
4 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Finish 3rd more than 2 seasons in a row and get to more cup finals?

We’ve been to three in the last four seasons. 

Jack Torrance

Was really impressed with Smith in the middle against Stoke. Didn't work against County. Not sure why. Plenty of life in the old dog yet though. Maybe more a compliment to the way they set up.

Davenport would be a good acquisition imo.

On the subject of improving on last season, consolidating third, staying in the title race until at least January and getting to another cup final, should be our aim, at least.

Building on season ticket holders and FoH contributions is going to be tricky in the current climate but we're in a great place.

2 more signings would be great. 

Edited by Jack Torrance

Mr Elwood P
4 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Souttar class but he one injury away from bring finished and Shankland will score far more than Simms imo

Souttar had an absolute nightmare yesterday for Rangers. Think he'll struggle to come back from it.

RustyRightPeg
5 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

Was really impressed with Smith in the middle against Stoke. Didn't work against County. Not sure why. Plenty of life in the old dog yet though. Maybe more a compliment to the way they set up.

Davenport would be a good acquisition imo.

On the subject of improving on last season, consolidating third, staying in the title race until at least January and getting to another cup final, should be our aim, at least.

Building on season ticket holders and FoH contributions is going to be tricky in the current climate but we're in a great place.

2 more signings would be great. 

Season tickets went substantially up and contributions have been steady, if not up as well.

We’re in a great place. 

RustyRightPeg

Hope the signing of Davenport will free Grant up to play higher up the pitch. As good as he was as a water carrier yesterday I can’t help but feel he’d be a star in the #10 role

1 hour ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Damn, was just about to pull you up. Spoil sport.:muggy:

😂 you need to cover your bases on this forum. 

6 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Hope the signing of Davenport will free Grant up to play higher up the pitch. As good as he was as a water carrier yesterday I can’t help but feel he’d be a star in the #10 role

You might be right but we need someone with a bit of vision in one of the holding mid roles. We’ve all seen our current midfielders fail to take on an obvious forward pass or carry the ball up the park, opting to play a bit safer. It’s a bit frustrating when it happens multiple times in a match. 

24 minutes ago, maroonplatoon87 said:

Think we have now more strength in depth - it was fielding players that weren't match fit that did for us in the final. Simms wasn't here this time last year - Shankland upgrade on Gnando. Hoping Neilson develops, in time, into an less injury prone Souttar. Maybe we get another Simms type loanee in January.

LarrysRightFoot
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

You might be right but we need someone with a bit of vision in one of the holding mid roles. We’ve all seen our current midfielders fail to take on an obvious forward pass or carry the ball up the park, opting to play a bit safer. It’s a bit frustrating when it happens multiple times in a match. 

I’ve said it many times. We need a number 8. A proper runner from midfield who can carry the ball and break the lines. It’s no coincidence our best teams of the 25 years had Cameron and Hartley in them. 

1 hour ago, ShedBoy said:

2. Robbie contacted AB once he won the title with Dundee Utd to tell her he wanted to come back to Hearts.

Does 2 more bring the 1st team squad up to the previously mentioned 24?

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 hours ago, bazman said:

Neilson never said with European experience he said experienced. No mention of Europe 

no he did say he wanted players with European experience.

Re Davenport - has he had a pre season with anyone or is he coming in cold?

RustyRightPeg
10 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I’m confident that Davenport in that deeper role would be significantly more forward thinking than Haring. (Only because it couldn’t be any worse mind you). 

Robbie talked up Grant as the #10 type player and the only time he’s played there is against Bonnyrigg (and scored) before he dropped back after some subs. Enforced with Devlin’s injury mind you. 

Edited by RustyRightPeg

RustyRightPeg
Just now, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

he’s been training with Reading 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

If Davenport is one of the two personally I'd find the window not first 11 improvement but squad improvement. Think we have taken in decent players but you are kidding yourself if you think anyone in is better than Souttar or Simms, they were recruited for very good reasons 

8 minutes ago, iainmac said:

Does 2 more bring the 1st team squad up to the previously mentioned 24?

28 I think mate. Fag packet maths 👍🏻

4 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I thought he did.

1 minute ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

If Davenport is one of the two personally I'd find the window not first 11 improvement but squad improvement. Think we have taken in decent players but you are kidding yourself if you think anyone in is better than Souttar or Simms, they were recruited for very good reasons 

This is where I am.

1 hour ago, ShedBoy said:

There’s always at least one charter flight. The club sell the spare seats to fans at a price that helps offset the travel costs to the club. What we need this season is the club to run 5-10 charter flights for some of the games. Not sure they will have the balls to do it but hope I’m wrong. 

Absolute Scenes

Where I’m at:

last season was about building a stronger and competitive first 11 than the championship season: completed

this season is about building round the strong core we built last season, adding more quantity in key areas for both domestic and league games: completed

think people need to realise that this season is about building on the strong 11 but also having guys of equal ability to come in to ease intensity and strain of repeated games. That’s what we’ve done. Grant, Forrest, Shankland we’re all needed and compliment our 11 well. 

im feeling good about this squad. Starting squad yesterday was no where near strongest, and neilson knows this. Resting Kingsley and  Devlin to avoid aggravating further injury keeps us stronger for next week

10 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Sorry, but I just don’t know how anyone can jump to this conclusion having seen the new players in the side a maximum of once. Players often don’t peak until late 20’s, Davenport, for example is only 23. 

44 minutes ago, feej said:

If Grant becomes a regular starter then he clearly is an upgrade on both Woodburn and McEneff who were never regular starters. 
Rowles is the Souttar replacement, let’s wait and see. Too early to judge. Based on both players performances yesterday Rowles is ahead of Souttar. 
Simms replacement probably still to be signed but Shankland is clearly an upgrade on what we had up front last season. Even comparing Shankland and Simms, careers to date Shankland is ahead. Simms has barely played first team football, Shankland has scored over 100 goals in first team football and is an internationalist.  
When Davenport, Beni and Devlin available neither Haring nor Smith will be playing in midfield. 

Jambo 4 Ever
53 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

We’ve been to three in the last four seasons. 

Have we really?

What about the 20/21 season and the 19/20 season? And the 18/19 season 

Just because someone else said that doesn’t make it correct 

Edited by Jambo 4 Ever

LarrysRightFoot
30 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I’ve said it many times. We need a number 8. A proper runner from midfield who can carry the ball and break the lines. It’s no coincidence our best teams of the 25 years had Cameron and Hartley in them. 

12 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Have we really?

2019 we were in the Scottish cup final. Then 2020 then last season. Just because you’ve got the memory of a goldfish doesn’t make you right. You’d have remembered if you went to games rather than pretending to. 

Edited by GinRummy

Finlay James

I do laugh at the posters questioning our recruitment, talking like they are experts 😅

If Savage, Neilson and the recruitment team think the guys we have brought in or are trying to sign take us forward, that’s more than good enough for me.

14 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Have we really?

You’re kidding right? 

2018/2019 season - reached SC Final - lost 2-1 to Celtic after going 1 up with 25 mins to play.

2019/2020 season - reached the delayed SC ‘COVID’ final. Lost to Celtic on penalties.

2021/2022 season - reached the SC final. Lost to Rangers in extra time. 

Not difficult to find out or remember for that matter 🤣😂 🙈

3 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

The guy signed for them 2 days ago, he’s likely only briefly trained with the team, if at all. It was probably 50/50 whether he would be on the bench, I certainly wouldn’t read how his season is going to go based on today’s game.

Neither would I. I wasn't. 

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***