*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

14 minutes ago, feej said:

I'm still waiting on the real quality coming in and those with European experience but I don't think it's gonna happen. Today showed we need better at the back, middle and up top. 

Aye like you I was hopeful of 2 or 3 with real pedigree. Even a few 30ish yo. I feel we've got just about enough projects.

Time running out though.

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

2 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Today showed we still need a key quality signing in each 3rd of the pitch.

So that’s 3 signings minimum or I would become a little concerned about us having the numbers and quality in maintaining our position.

Completely agree. 

If Shankland is the marquee signing then we are in trouble. Still time though. 

The goal was to grow in quality from end of last season. We have no Souttar, Simms, Kinglsey or Beni (the latter two for a while). i have a horrible feeling we are going to go backwards but I’m trying hard to fight the negative vibes today. 

1 minute ago, Alan_R said:

Aye like you I was hopeful of 2 or 3 with real pedigree. Even a few 30ish yo. I feel we've got just about enough projects.

Time running out though.

Agreed, we shouldn't be adverse to signing older players who have the quality we're looking for, there will be plenty out there. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

So no one kept an eye on Joe Savage or take a photo at the game?

Not easy to see from where I am. Nobody in there at 255

2 hours ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Don’t we have one in Grant? Bizarre decision not to start him.    

Yep but we are one injury away from relying on Smith.

Knowing our injury history we will be playing with a cm of Pollock and Smith soon

If the window closed now, it would be a pretty disappointing window. We have a weaker starting 11 than we did at the end of last season and we haven’t signed anyone that could be seen as a ‘next level’ signing. 

At least 3-4 players short right through the spine of the team. Not to mention needing a back-up keeper. 

Still time, but I’m less confident that we will bring in what we need than I was a couple of weeks ago. 

Hope Robbie and Joe have their eyes on some players with pace and movement.

That first half today we looked like ten planks of wood with severe arthritis.

2nd half was much more of what is expected.

Link up our midfield with the forwards next week please. 

14 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

Completely agree. 

If Shankland is the marquee signing then we are in trouble. Still time though. 

The goal was to grow in quality from end of last season. We have no Souttar, Simms, Kinglsey or Beni (the latter two for a while). i have a horrible feeling we are going to go backwards but I’m trying hard to fight the negative vibes today. 

Don't take this the wrong way but your posts are generally overly pessimistic.

Today was always going to be a tough game .

Forrest and McKay both got on the score sheet,  2 out of our 3 forwards . Grant and Rowles both showed decent potential and we all know Shankland will score goals.

All in all a great start to the season, we only beat this mob once in 4 attempts last year, we've already equalled that in our first attempt.

Today was a game we probably wouldn't have taken 3 pts from last year , but quality in the final 3rd seen us through, chill out and enjoy the wine, I certainly am.

1 minute ago, ramrod said:

Forrest and McKay both got on the score sheet,  2 out of our 3 forwards . Grant and Rowles both showed decent potential and we all know Shankland will score goals.

All in all a great start to the season, we only beat this mob once in 4 attempts last year, we've already equalled that in our first attempt.

Today was a game we probably wouldn't have taken 3 pts from last year , but quality in the final 3rd seen us through, chill out and enjoy the wine, I certainly am.

👍Exactly, good perspective. 

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, colinzeal said:

If the window closed now, it would be a pretty disappointing window. We have a weaker starting 11 than we did at the end of last season and we haven’t signed anyone that could be seen as a ‘next level’ signing. 

At least 3-4 players short right through the spine of the team. Not to mention needing a back-up keeper. 

Still time, but I’m less confident that we will bring in what we need than I was a couple of weeks ago. 

If the window closed now, we would have had a completely different approach to when we make our signings. There is different things at play when making signings in the window, some of the best signings take time and can be a standoff as the time ticks down. I suspect in a month and 2 days time our view of the window will be completely different.

I would also argue what the window has been at the moment hasn't been about taking us to the next level of player, but about building out the squad so we have greater depth of ability. To get third again we need to have a squad capable of playing in Europe and domestically. Last season our team was good enough to be better than the rest. But as we got towards the end of the season our squad did not have enough quality when players started dropping (hence the cup final.) I would argue we have strengthened with more depth. It shows the fact we can bring Grant, Boyce and Devlin in off the bench. Players who last year would be first team starters. 

I am patient and confident considering the talent they brought in last year from the end of July to the end of the window.

Could have played better against a half descent team but still won.

Positiveish 2nd half.

We will sign more we will play better.

3 points.

2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

If the window closed now, we would have had a completely different approach to when we make our signings. There is different things at play when making signings in the window, some of the best signings take time and can be a standoff as the time ticks down. I suspect in a month and 2 days time our view of the window will be completely different.

I would also argue what the window has been at the moment hasn't been about taking us to the next level of player, but about building out the squad so we have greater depth of ability. To get third again we need to have a squad capable of playing in Europe and domestically. Last season our team was good enough to be better than the rest. But as we got towards the end of the season our squad did not have enough quality when players started dropping (hence the cup final.) I would argue we have strengthened with more depth. It shows the fact we can bring Grant, Boyce and Devlin in off the bench. Players who last year would be first team starters. 

I am patient and confident considering the talent they brought in last year from the end of July to the end of the window.

According to someone on here earlier Joe said on Hearts TV, looking to get 2 more so to me that doesn't really sound like enough to really take us to the next level.

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, feej said:

According to someone on here earlier Joe said on Hearts TV, looking to get 2 more so to me that doesn't really sound like enough to really take us to the next level.

Someone clarified that what he actually said was very open ended, it was "one or two more would probably do us." I would not read too closely to number of players. We have seen it many times when the club says they are looking a small number then they actually more than that.

20 minutes ago, ramrod said:

It’s a fair point, I have felt maybe needlessly or overly negative about Hearts over the last week. 

I need to cheer up and see who we sign and how it unfolds over the next month. 

9 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Someone clarified that what he actually said was very open ended, it was "one or two more would probably do us." I would not read too closely to number of players. We have seen it many times when the club says they are looking a small number then they actually more than that.

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

Absolute Scenes

Can someone clarify what the next level is for a club like hearts? The term has been thrown about a lot, our last home result against county was a 0-0 draw, we won 2-1 today so is that not an improvement?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

3 quality players and of course a bit of gk cover. A GK we wait to the last minute unless something happens in next 4 weeks that changes the equation 

3 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Can someone clarify what the next level is for a club like hearts? The term has been thrown about a lot, our last home result against county was a 0-0 draw, we won 2-1 today so is that not an improvement?

we're being told by Robbie and Joe it's better quality they want to improve all over the pitch, to me and this is my personal opinion I've not seen anyone coming in that's better than what we've lost or better than is already here.

3 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

This is the big challenge for us as a club and for us fans as to what our expectations should be. 

The next level for Hearts is not just finishing third again but then reducing the 35pt gap to the OF to say 20. The next level for Hearts as part of this would entail not drawing twice away to Ross County and not laying a glove on a dreadful Motherwell side in two games away. It entails properly dominating possession and dictating the tempo of most games. It then entails being more competitive in games against the OF. 

Based on today and the amount of games we are going to have perhaps top 4 should be our base expectations. But i’m going to trick myself into being more positive and say we will improve dramatically from today. 

Just now, feej said:

we're being told by Robbie and Joe it's better quality they want to improve all over the pitch, to me and this is my personal opinion I've not seen anyone coming in that's better than what we've lost or better than is already here.

Considering we have lost Simms and Souttar and Beni to injury I very much agree. 

However it is clear thst Grant and Forrest are an upgrade on McEeneff, Woodburn, GMs and Gino. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

Considering we have lost Simms and Souttar and Beni to injury I very much agree. 

However it is clear thst Grant and Forrest are an upgrade on McEeneff, Woodburn, GMs and Gino. 

Agree with all of that. Could do with a bit of quality in midfield still, and another type of forward 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
40 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

Anyone else heard a murmur that West Ham have made a bid for Kingsley?

No but this would be the week for an EPL team to make a move if they wanted to.

5 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

I'm hoping for good things from Grant and Forrest they appear to be better than the 4 you mention,. It'll be interesting to see if we try to move GMS and Gino on this window.

jambo_4_eva
37 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

This is the big challenge for us as a club and for us fans as to what our expectations should be. 

The next level for Hearts is not just finishing third again but then reducing the 35pt gap to the OF to say 20. The next level for Hearts as part of this would entail not drawing twice away to Ross County and not laying a glove on a dreadful Motherwell side in two games away. It entails properly dominating possession and dictating the tempo of most games. It then entails being more competitive in games against the OF. 

Based on today and the amount of games we are going to have perhaps top 4 should be our base expectations. But i’m going to trick myself into being more positive and say we will improve dramatically from today. 

It might be just me but I actually think if Ross County play like they did today every week they will finish fourth. Maybe we just need admit they're a good side today 🤔 

jambo_4_eva
29 minutes ago, feej said:

I'm hoping for good things from Grant and Forrest they appear to be better than the 4 you mention,. It'll be interesting to see if we try to move GMS and Gino on this window.

I'd keep them as squad players. If you get rid of them they sign for a team like Kilmarnock and end up scoring v us. They're good squad fillers. 👌 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, jambo_4_eva said:

I'd keep them as squad players. If you get rid of them they sign for a team like Kilmarnock and end up scoring v us. They're good squad fillers. 👌 

You could loan them and solve the problem. I think at least one will remain, well short of 24 players right now 

BackOfTheNet
5 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

You know what I meant. The premise we should be after said player because of one good game against us. Happens most games we don’t play as well,

I know that happens, and I’m the first to roll my eyes at people calling for ex-players or someone who happened to play well against us once (Kevin Van Veen anyone?) Just checking you realised my comment was a joke.

BackOfTheNet
20 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Time for Joe to go it seems. Failed in the first game of the season with the signings. 🥸

I know I generally try and combat the negativity towards certain players after a match, but my word the reaction to the County game is extreme. I’m not sure what people were expecting, but the reaction has been OTT ridiculous. I did say people should calm their praise of Shankland after the Stoke game, as in just knew the first game he didn’t score people would overreact the other way. People need to stop dealing in extremes and just see things for what they are.

jamboinglasgow

I wonder what the odds are of us signing a new player before the Hibs game? (I dont have any inside information, just wondering.)

I can imagine its a pretty good chance.

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I know I generally try and combat the negativity towards certain players after a match, but my word the reaction to the County game is extreme. I’m not sure what people were expecting, but the reaction has been OTT ridiculous. I did say people should calm their praise of Shankland after the Stoke game, as in just knew the first game he didn’t score people would overreact the other way. People need to stop dealing in extremes and just see things for what they are.

Quite. 

Scott Leitch

We need to improve the midfield. Smith and Haring are both good footballers but slow as death. Why didn't Grant start? Strange line up today.

colinmorewasgash

Yes defo 😁 joe oot bob oot all oot, the so called upgrade in quality we were promised in May and head start on rivals we had once we clinched 3rd hasn't materialised we lack pace and drive at times. Midfield of Smith and Haring jeez it wasn't Stoke Res this week, thats bad state of affairs plus to many mixed messages between him and Bob. Joe we are looking to bring in an attacking midfielder centre back and pacy striker I want to challenge for league, Bob we are looking at another holding player and (centre back better than wright) then not bothered about centre back and attacking player we will rotate and hope to get top 4 again. Be nice to get midfielder with drive from midfield or with energy who then has a dig when we bring in someone who we are told are supposed to do this such as lee and mceneff 🤣🤣🤣 and various others we move them wide or play them too deep. We don't score enough goals from midfield and we need a physical striker in this league most teams have one in their team preferably with a bit pace too. I think fact Bob is here for next 3 years there is no way Budge or board will sack oor Bob even if we were struggling, Joe will end up back with Alex Neil at some stage unless he gets sacked at Mackems before then. As he states I recommend players its then up to Robert and board next. Utd looked decent today and Ross has brought in some good signings levitt is a steal, Sheep brag they are now worldbeaters and we have deluded bunch saying they ll be 3rd we defo need more bodies in asap or Joe oot 😂😂🙈🍻. 50 years of following famous same story when have decent season we lose players promise world and quality upgrades and have mediocre follow up due to europe as squads too small but we dont push on it never happens often other teams get wise we won't push boat out they splash dosh and we end up mid table below the rival teams. How many seasons is it now we seem to need new strikers every year and im sure if we had got Simms with Shankland, Boyce would have been punted no smoke without fire. Has anyone saw this invisible striker Bob mentioned other day Henderson recently or headless chicken Gino. Anyway FTH we won but need to improve asap. The prob Bob has is that unless he starts to win at Easter Road which he hasn't done yet or win a major trophy which I can't see ever happening hes too negative to go for it, fanbase is split. 3rd place cup final and folk still not fully behind him. A few bad results and phoodle out will start again. Hes a steady manager but wd any other manager have got even more out of the squad in last year again who knows. Lets blame Joe. 😄

Watt-Zeefuik
4 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

I wonder this as well.

To me, the "next level" is some decent results in Europe and sustained top 4 finishes. It's been a generation since we've had that. I think we have the squad to take us to that level. That'd be a quite nice place to be IMO.

Beat Ross County with Devlin, Kingsley and Beni to come back, plus 2 or 3 quality signings to come in (don’t have any reason to doubt the quality). Forrest looked very good second half, Shankland will do well and score goals with extra support/time to settle, Grant was excellent and Rowles looked composed minus one moment. The first half was a shocker but teams do build up momentum during the Premier Sports cup and Ross County came into the game having just won 8-0. The second half was good and about the level I expected from the start. 

Overall, I think we are looking very strong if we get these 2-3 signings right. Yes we are currently about the level we were last season (which isn’t a bad level) but with these quality additions then there’s no doubt we can kick on.  

7 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I wonder what the odds are of us signing a new player before the Hibs game? (I dont have any inside information, just wondering.)

I can imagine its a pretty good chance.

13th month payment period expires tomorrow down south so if we have anyone lined up it’s likely they will sign this week. 
if no-one in this week I think it means any targets we have are also wanted by other clubs. 

Jambo 4 Ever
15 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Beat Ross County with Devlin, Kingsley and Beni to come back, plus 2 or 3 quality signings to come in (don’t have any reason to doubt the quality). Forrest looked very good second half, Shankland will do well and score goals with extra support/time to settle, Grant was excellent and Rowles looked composed minus one moment. The first half was a shocker but teams do build up momentum during the Premier Sports cup and Ross County came into the game having just won 8-0. The second half was good and about the level I expected from the start. 

Overall, I think we are looking very strong if we get these 2-3 signings right. Yes we are currently about the level we were last season (which isn’t a bad level) but with these quality additions then there’s no doubt we can kick on.  

Devlin came off the bench 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Devlin came off the bench 

For 12 minutes, we were 2 0 up, safe to say we beat them without him, bit clueless to say otherwise really 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, karipidis said:

I agree. Might be a while for Beni and a wee bit of time for Kingsley. 

Grant did fine yesterday but that bit of quality is what we need in midfield and where we can really improve a lot with 2 additional players. 

Simms on the bench today. How did that move work out for you?

5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Zuba the new ITK

davenport sounds like exactly what we need

Edited by Newton51

BackOfTheNet
3 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Simms on the bench today. How did that move work out for you?

davenport sounds like exactly what we need

Eh?

jamboinglasgow
11 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Zuba the new ITK

Based how things have been with the EEN and signings, I think a high chance he will be a Hearts player in a couple of days. I have suspected the clubs give them info when it's all wrapped up.

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***