*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Geoff Kilpatrick
8 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

If we get Simms that’s not an improvement in our goal scoring threat though. It restores it to exactly what it was last season.

Also we haven’t YET improved the defensive line from what it was. We’ve signed an apparently very good left sided centre back when we already had a very good one. We’ve still got a gaping hole where Souttar would be

Cochrane isn’t an improvement. Neilson probably isn’t ready and Forrest is a mebbes aye mebbes naw signing.

Were miles short of being able to sit with a satisfied grin knowing we’ve improved the squad. We simply haven’t yet. Probably haven’t scratched the surface if we’re honest

Each to their own. I'll even tolerate GMS playing if we sign Simms.

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

AllyjamboDerbyshire
1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

I don't think HMFC would reward him to that extent.

He has sat tight for a couple of seasons now and if the alternative was for him to be out of the game for yet another season (at 31 years old) his hopes of a decent offer elsewhere would seriously diminish.  No doubt he will have received some compo but I cannot believe we would pay up his contract in full.  Doing that would encourage other disaffected players to use the same tactics.

I agree, and doubt we'd pay up his contract in full, we'd otherwise be as well letting him stew without allowing him to kick a ball. I'd almost be certain enough to say that we'd definitely pay no more than the difference between his current wage and that due under his Hearts contract (which I reckon is all we'd be due under employment laws) and will have reduced that further so he could continue his career in France (assuming he was keen enough to do so to accept the cut).

Tom Hardy’s Dug
10 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

If we get Simms that’s not an improvement in our goal scoring threat though. It restores it to exactly what it was last season.

Also we haven’t YET improved the defensive line from what it was. We’ve signed an apparently very good left sided centre back when we already had a very good one. We’ve still got a gaping hole where Souttar would be

Cochrane isn’t an improvement. Neilson probably isn’t ready and Forrest is a mebbes aye mebbes naw signing.

Were miles short of being able to sit with a satisfied grin knowing we’ve improved the squad. We simply haven’t yet. Probably haven’t scratched the surface if we’re honest

Well. It depends on your view of whether or not players such as Simms and Cochrane have reached their peak and whether or not the continuity of this team of core players means, as most teams do after one season together will continue to improve?

For example did Simms play as well in his first game as he did 8 games later (say in the games against Hibs)?

Did Simms get better service and supply from other players the more they got to know his game?

So I get your point but young players rarely stand still, and consistency of a squad with the same key core players has a better than not chance of pin proving the more it plays.

14 minutes ago, john thomas said:

We now have a dedicated recruitment team in place . Don't think we were the only club to be a bit slow putting this in place .

Of course there will be less  signings who fail but there is a risk with any signing . 

Previous signing policy was much less (not at all) forensic (?) in identifying players .

Did sign a few good ones though

This

but some people only see what they want to see.

Ballitojambo
11 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Hibs to Portugal not sure about St Johnstone.

Just checked online and St Johnstone are off to Murcia Spain for 5 days.

There goes the neighbourhood.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

I don't think HMFC would reward him to that extent.

He has sat tight for a couple of seasons now and if the alternative was for him to be out of the game for yet another season (at 31 years old) his hopes of a decent offer elsewhere would seriously diminish.  No doubt he will have received some compo but I cannot believe we would pay up his contract in full.  Doing that would encourage other disaffected players to use the same tactics.

Agree with this, think contract longevity starts to really matter once players hit 30. At 32 getting a 3/4 year deal just isn't going to happen, but at 30/31 a 3 year deal is still possible in the right circumstances. I think if Damour doesn't leave now he'll be on 1 year contracts and constantly moving and worrying about where his next contract is. 

I still can't get over how immediately after finally getting Martin off our books we got this huddie. 

1 hour ago, Queensland Jambo said:

What would Simms cost?

£1.5 transfer fee?  £10-15k per week?

I've no doubt that if he picked up where he left off and continued to develop, with some Euro games thrown in, we've got a £5-8m player in a year or so.

Deal or no deal, Jambos?

Sunstroke for you cobber!!! 🙃🤯

Beyond fanciful those numbers, that's make believe stuff...

Not a road we will be going down £ wise ... thankfully!!!!!

22 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Broadly agree with the point, but would argue the 22/23 versions of Simms and Cochrane will be better than the 21/22 versions. 

Simms form was snowballing in a very positive way - if he comes back he will be better than the player who first arrived. 

Edit: I notice @Tom Hardy’s Dug beat me to it. 

Edited by CMc

Aussie Jambo
6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Rowles is going to the World Cup, Souttar is not. Rowles has ability.

I believe he will only get better at Hearts.

Being a Sydney FC supporter my friends from UK live in Central Coadt. They go to all games at home sometimes against us. They are sad to see him go and said we’ve one hell of a good defender. I saw him play for Australia. He was excellent. 

1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

We haven't actually improved the squad yet, even if we get Simms we are just back where we were last season.

Unless Rowles is better than Souter that is. Forrest give is an extra option but I doubt he is a vast improvement.

Expecting a couple of Beni/Simms quality before the end of the window.

I sort of agree with this - though with the proviso that we can probably expect the likes of Atkinson, Sibbick et al to be better in the coming season. We have done a fantastic job of tying down our assets (Souttar excepted) but if we want to improve significantly, and compete in Europe, we need a couple of ‘next level up’ players.

I suspect the Shankland story has gone quiet not because we don’t want him, but because Beerschot want a significant fee, we are only prepared to pay real money for one striker, and there is a real chance of securing Simms. So it’s probably one or the other, and then we’ll either sign someone else on a Bosman or look to secure another high quality loan.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
10 minutes ago, CMc said:

Broadly agree with the point, but would argue the 22/23 versions of Simms and Cochrane will be better than the 21/22 versions. 

Simms form was snowballing in a very positive way - if he comes back he will be better than the player who first arrived. 

Edit: I notice @Tom Hardy’s Dug beat me to it. 

Agree, Simms was far better by April than he was February. 

Similarly, Levitt got better at United, who want him back, we should be all over him 

Niemi’s gloves
12 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Well. It depends on your view of whether or not players such as Simms and Cochrane have reached their peak and whether or not the continuity of this team of core players means, as most teams do after one season together will continue to improve?

For example did Simms play as well in his first game as he did 8 games later (say in the games against Hibs)?

Did Simms get better service and supply from other players the more they got to know his game?

So I get your point but young players rarely stand still, and consistency of a squad with the same key core players has a better than not chance of pin proving the more it plays.

Excellent post. In my view, too many folk think simply in terms of whether player B is an upgrade on existing player A, without any wider concept of team building and the importance of continuity.  Is it something to do with having grown up playing Football Manager? 

And on Cochrane, it’s pretty clear that the 22 year old we have signed with a whole year of first team football under his belt, and who fits into the spirit of the squad, is a clear upgrade on the 21 year old unknown quantity who had never played a single minute of first team football that we signed on loan a year ago. 

8 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Agree, Simms was far better by April than he was February. 

Similarly, Levitt got better at United, who want him back, we should be all over him 

Position is Levitt? Never seen him play surely we are a far more attractive option than Dundee United. Same applies to Ronan and Aberdeen 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Spookie said:

Position is Levitt? Never seen him play surely we are a far more attractive option than Dundee United. Same applies to Ronan and Aberdeen 

Creative midfielder very much central and obviously good on the dribbling 

Boyces beard
15 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

100% 

Shooter McGavin

That’s Damour away, a completely forgettable player.

Shows how much our recruitment has improved from those days.

We aren't going to improve on Souttar who developed into a better player with us than we would ever be able to sign.  If you are going to be angry about that you'd be as well shouting at a wall.  Forrest and Grant will be an improvement on Gino and especially GMS (or Woodburn).  Neilson hopefully an improvement on Taylor Moore.  Cochrane is a young player developing all the time and could arguably be backup LB to Kinglsey which is an improvement on last season.

Savage has stated the aim is to bring in players who will improve the starting 11, but it's not really always going to be feasible.  

I'm not really worried about the "gaping hole" left by Souttar.  We could play 4 at the back with Rowles and Halkett as CH.  If we insisted on playing 5, we've got Sibbick, Neilson, Michael Smith, Haring (if we had any midfield cover), and then both Halliday and Cochrane who could play at LB and allow Kingsley to play CH.  I do think we should sign another CH, but we have loads of option there.

I think we have very little cover in CM.  If Sibbick can fulfil the potential he showed there in 2 games under Stendel then he's decent cover.  Halliday isn't a great CM imo.  After that we are down to bare bones.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
34 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

I sort of agree with this - though with the proviso that we can probably expect the likes of Atkinson, Sibbick et al to be better in the coming season. We have done a fantastic job of tying down our assets (Souttar excepted) but if we want to improve significantly, and compete in Europe, we need a couple of ‘next level up’ players.

I suspect the Shankland story has gone quiet not because we don’t want him, but because Beerschot want a significant fee, we are only prepared to pay real money for one striker, and there is a real chance of securing Simms. So it’s probably one or the other, and then we’ll either sign someone else on a Bosman or look to secure another high quality loan.

I agree with this also.

The next level up players are likely to be later in the transfer window (from what Robbie says).

We are also saving 2 or 3 squad positions for slightly older players with experience in Europe - from what Robbie said on his Scarves Around the Funnel chat.

The really exciting stuff is likely still to happen. The icing on a very decent tasting cake.

45 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

No doubt in my mind we’ll get improvement from quite a few players in our squad. Atkinson, Cochrane Simms (if we get him) I think there is improvement also in Beni and Devlin, possibly even McKay can get better still.

So improvement from what we already have is probably going to happen naturally. I was more talking about filling the gaps In quality and having really good options and back up. The obvious gaps for me are a second top end striker. An attacking midfield player (no 10) and a rock solid experienced but modern centre back and they’ve got to be the highest possible quality we can afford, then we’ve got a real enhanced squad which adds significantly  to what we already have

Edited by JimmyCant

Anyone who thinks we will be paying £15,000 per week for anyone is living in fantasy land.  

hmfc_liam06

If we can get:

Simms

Grant

A starting RCB

A rotational CM (Levitt ideal)

A backup GK

Then I’d be pretty happy. Possibly another loan striker as backup, or if we do have funds then Shankland.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

No doubt in my mind we’ll get improvement from quite a few players in our squad. Atkinson, Cochrane Simms (if we get him) I think there is improvement also in Beni and Devlin, possibly even McKay can get better still.

So improvement from what we already have is probably going to happen naturally. I was more talking about filling the gaps In quality and having really good options and back up. The obvious gaps for me are a second top end striker. An attacking midfield player (no 10) and a rock solid experienced but modern centre back and they’ve got to be the highest possible quality we can afford, then we’ve got a real enhanced squad which adds significantly  to what we already have

The good thing is from everything we have heard we should be confident we get exactly those sort of signings also.

Its interesting seeing Hibs and Aberdeen sweeping up a lot of players so early in the window.

To be fair to them they both kind of had to.

But both managers are going from a standing start. I find it hard to believe that Goodwin was scouting the players he signed for Aberdeen when he was at St Mirren. Likewise Johnson.

The good thing for us is that our scouting for this season has been at least 12 months in the making. Rowles for example.

We know - as well as you can do - exactly what we are doing and who we are targeting and will have likely been making enquiries and having conversations for a while.

Also this two will have shot their bolt soon and if they would have been any competition to us getting the real quality I am sure we are looking at and lining up they won’t be by then.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Tom Hardy’s Dug
6 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

If we can get:

Simms

Grant

A starting RCB

A rotational CM (Levitt ideal)

A backup GK

Then I’d be pretty happy. Possibly another loan striker as backup, or if we do have funds then Shankland.

Could Levitt be described as a no. 10 type player?

If so Robbie wants two - even if Grant is one and we get him that still leaves room for one although I am sure Robbie’s preference would be one of those 10s he wants to have had Euro experience and be at the proven quality end of the market 

hmfc_liam06
14 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

If so Robbie wants two - even if Grant is one and we get him that still leaves room for one although I am sure Robbie’s preference would be one of those 10s he wants to have had Euro experience and be at the proven quality end of the market 

Im not sure where Levitt’s best position is, I’m sure either him or Grant can fill in deeper if need be.

Unless we sign a brilliant CM we’ll likely be starting Haring and Cammy most games. We definitely need another body in there, a loan makes sense until Beni is back.

The White Cockade

Levitt's a great prospect but if he’s out on loan will be looking for a team where he is playing just about every week so Dundee Utd probably where’ll he’ll end up 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
24 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

An 8 i would say. Think Fulton from back in time. 

I would far rather have Levitt than Ronan

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Levitt's a great prospect but if he’s out on loan will be looking for a team where he is playing just about every week so Dundee Utd probably where’ll he’ll end up 

Very much part of the Wales set up, he would get a very good share of games, particularly with European football guaranteed heading into a World Cup 

It’s in the papers this morning that Cardiff want Levitt. If they are seriously in for him, there’s no chance of him coming back to Scotland.

If we do get Simms, the squad is almost certainly better. Out Souttar, Moore, Woodburn. In Rowles, Neilson, Forrest, and the likely addition of Grant and Shankland. Another 1 or 2 on top of that and we are in very good shape. 

11 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

He would play every week at hearts.

1 minute ago, daftie said:

It’s in the papers this morning that Cardiff want Levitt. If they are seriously in for him, there’s no chance of him coming back to Scotland.

It really would be good if we could ever have a TV deal in Scotland that did not see the football club from the capital city here playing in Europe and finishing third not being miles behind the capital city of Wales playing in the English second tier 

RustyRightPeg
9 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

An 8 i would say. Think Fulton from back in time. 

I would far rather have Levitt than Ronan

They’re different kinds of players. Ronan plays a lot further forward than Levitt. 

Ideally, there is no rather and we get them both. 

Rocky jamboa

We seem a bit weak down our attacking left hand side so would imagine that is a key area we're looking at. Can't really think who we have to play in there apart from GMS, who is more of a squad player for me. 

We've been crying out for a decent attacking central midfielder for a few seasons now as well. Not sure if Grant is the man for that or if more of a squad filler.

Glamorgan Jambo
9 minutes ago, daftie said:

Cardiff are utterly broke and the owner isn’t going to put any more in (not least because of ongoing litigation over the Sala transfer fee). They’re emptying their squad as much as they can. They are one of the few Championship clubs we can compete with financially IMO.

it would be far better for Levitt to play in a team that is on the front foot most games than one that will be fighting relegation against cloggers next season.

Joe Savage:

In case he’s reading this, tell him what do you really want, for instance specific players you want to sign for Hearts or alert him of out of contract players availability so that he can look at etc

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, WageThief said:

We aren't going to improve on Souttar who developed into a better player with us than we would ever be able to sign.  If you are going to be angry about that you'd be as well shouting at a wall.  Forrest and Grant will be an improvement on Gino and especially GMS (or Woodburn).  Neilson hopefully an improvement on Taylor Moore.  Cochrane is a young player developing all the time and could arguably be backup LB to Kinglsey which is an improvement on last season.

Savage has stated the aim is to bring in players who will improve the starting 11, but it's not really always going to be feasible.  

I'm not really worried about the "gaping hole" left by Souttar.  We could play 4 at the back with Rowles and Halkett as CH.  If we insisted on playing 5, we've got Sibbick, Neilson, Michael Smith, Haring (if we had any midfield cover), and then both Halliday and Cochrane who could play at LB and allow Kingsley to play CH.  I do think we should sign another CH, but we have loads of option there.

I think we have very little cover in CM.  If Sibbick can fulfil the potential he showed there in 2 games under Stendel then he's decent cover.  Halliday isn't a great CM imo.  After that we are down to bare bones.

Sibbick, Rowles or Neilson could surpass Souttar. Loads of potential and room for growth in the current squad.

8 minutes ago, The Spy Who Loved Me said:

Joe Savage:

In case he’s reading this, tell him what do you really want, for instance specific players you want to sign for Hearts or alert him of out of contract players availability so that he can look at etc

Nobody senior at Hearts in their right mind would read this site.

7 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

I think we need at least 2 more no9s.so light up top…even Boyce isn’t a proper No9 now.

I agree we do but it’s going to mean a change in shape if we’ve to accommodate Boyce MacKay Grant Shankland Simms and Forrest in a starting 11. We’d be playing one holding midfielder and then there’s an issue of who plays when Beni is back between him Harring and Devlin. Not a bad problem to have and of course not a problem as 3 of those aren’t here.

5 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Sibbick, Rowles or Neilson could surpass Souttar. Loads of potential and room for growth in the current squad.

From the little I’ve seen of Rowles he looks to have a lot more to his game than Sibbick and Neilson and has real potential to be an unbelievably good signing.

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I agree we do but it’s going to mean a change in shape if we’ve to accommodate Boyce MacKay Grant Shankland Simms and Forrest in a starting 11. We’d be playing one holding midfielder and then there’s an issue of who plays when Beni is back between him Harring and Devlin. Not a bad problem to have and of course not a problem as 3 of those aren’t here.

I think we are looking at a stronger squad rather than starting every new signing. 

For example, bringing Boyce, Shankland or Simms on as a sub is better than GMS or Gino. 

IMO We'll be looking to have around 17/18 players that are considered 1st team quality and like you allude to, we'll also be more flexible in a tactical sense. 

RedStarRiot
24 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Nobody senior at Hearts in their right mind would read this site.

Surely they must read it just for a laugh

FarmerTweedy
17 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

This

he’d easily improve our squad 

You've really jumped the shark now! 

1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

The good thing is from everything we have heard we should be confident we get exactly those sort of signings also.

Its interesting seeing Hibs and Aberdeen sweeping up a lot of players so early in the window.

To be fair to them they both kind of had to.

But both managers are going from a standing start. I find it hard to believe that Goodwin was scouting the players he signed for Aberdeen when he was at St Mirren. Likewise Johnson.

The good thing for us is that our scouting for this season has been at least 12 months in the making. Rowles for example.

We know - as well as you can do - exactly what we are doing and who we are targeting and will have likely been making enquiries and having conversations for a while.

Also this two will have shot their bolt soon and if they would have been any competition to us getting the real quality I am sure we are looking at and lining up they won’t be by then.

Good post.

Youd expect Aberdeen and Hibs to be closer rivals than they were last year. Normally you’d expect both to be top 6.

The very state of both their squads dictated they needed lots of new players and whilst what they are doing  looks scattergun (Hibs more so than Aberdeen) it’s not impossible to revamp a squad in one season and turn it into an effective top 6 team. We’ve done it ourselves just a season ago.

On paper they still look a bit behind us, but that gap can change. There are several weeks of window still to go. I think it’s important that we start this coming season psychologically ahead of where we were. To do that you need to be able to look at our squad when weve done our business compare it with the business the rivals have done (even though you have no idea if they are going to gel and challenge or just flop) and just start the season thinking (knowing) believing that we’re better than all of them 

Jambo 4 Ever
2 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

You've really jumped the shark now! 

Ummm you will find I’m not the only one who thinks this 

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***