energy prices

Masonic

21 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

People still use landlines. 😲

Old school Mother, she can't loose the fixed landline phone, it's our only comms...:thumb:

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, OBE said:

Old school Mother, she can't loose the fixed landline phone, it's our only comms...:thumb:

Mine's was the same. She couldn't see the mobile screen, but her grandkids wouldn't give her peace. :D I'd phone her on the landline. I have a landline, but no phone, I might buy one, just for the memories.

On 04/07/2022 at 15:04, OBE said:

That'll be classed as a 4 apartment?

Currently, £168 per month. As I've mentioned prior, Her indoors thinks the tumble drier is goosed (removed fuse). No washing done when rain is pending. 5 smoke detectors, all hard wired, they'll be gone soon. 1 base station phone/answer machine, plus 3 other handsets dotted about the gaff, all demanding juice, they're for the heave also, base station being relocated in the hall, hear it from all over the house.

Me, tightwad? too true, better in my pocket.

Thanks mate. It's a whole new mindset.... I've relocated outside of the UK. Been gone a year. Was just curious about the increases. The wife and I lived in a 3 bedder semi and our monthly commitments were less than £90...

Harry Potter
28 minutes ago, OBE said:

my mother in laws hotline to our house, will be scrapped soon.

2 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Thanks mate. It's a whole new mindset.... I've relocated outside of the UK. Been gone a year. Was just curious about the increases. The wife and I lived in a 3 bedder semi and our monthly commitments were less than £90...

Aye, before Brexit and mad mental Putin, we were £86 a month (Bulb), 5 apartment 4 adults. Looking back, that was cheap as!

hmfc_liam06

Had the chance to fix at £180 2 weeks ago, it’s now shot up to £250. Raging at myself for not fixing.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Had the chance to fix at £180 2 weeks ago, it’s now shot up to £250. Raging at myself for not fixing.

That’s brutal.

Mines is £61.00 pm at the moment 

Fixed deal until August 2023.

I’ll enjoy it while I can.

hmfc_liam06
2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’s brutal.

Mines is £61.00 pm at the moment 

Fixed deal until August 2023.

I’ll enjoy it while I can.

I know, I’m seriously pissed off at myself for delaying making the move. I’ll likely have to gamble on the variable now.

I’m fortunate I can still afford the increase, I really feel for those who can’t. Must be a proper stressful time for a significant % of the population.

doctor jambo
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Looks like the refiners are profiteering from the fuel price rise.

Price gouging .

that’s what it is

35 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Where was it that offered that? I am moving house and was looking at a new supplier, but nowhere was offering a fixed rate. I'd take £250 per month if I was offered it.

The Real Maroonblood
45 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I know, I’m seriously pissed off at myself for delaying making the move. I’ll likely have to gamble on the variable now.

I’m fortunate I can still afford the increase, I really feel for those who can’t. Must be a proper stressful time for a significant % of the population.

I don't know how some people manage.

Jambo-Jimbo
28 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Come January that 'some' will be 'most' people.

Unknown user
55 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Universal credit for a single person over 25 is £4018.92 for the year.

If you're a couple over 25, £6308.64 between you for the year.

£3363 of that to leccy and gas would leave a couple with £2945 a year.

8 quid a day for 2 people to pay bills, buy food, exist. £28 per person for your bills and food a week.

And don't even think about being under 25!

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

If you're fortunate enough to own a belt, it'll be tightened...Butlins & basket suppers will have to wait until Putin gets slotted...🤨

hmfc_liam06
2 hours ago, jambo89 said:

Where was it that offered that? I am moving house and was looking at a new supplier, but nowhere was offering a fixed rate. I'd take £250 per month if I was offered it.

Only offers seem to be for existing customers, I’m with Octopus.

9 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Only offers seem to be for existing customers, I’m with Octopus.

Ah right! No probs! Tried the comparison websites but they aren’t doing that because of the current situation. It says to go on to individual suppliers websites but they aren’t offering any fixed rate deals either! 

hmfc_liam06
7 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

Ah right! No probs! Tried the comparison websites but they aren’t doing that because of the current situation. It says to go on to individual suppliers websites but they aren’t offering any fixed rate deals either! 

I doubt you’ll get anything other than the variable rate as a new customer.

You won’t know your usage but I’m in a 3 bed house, heating is on 6.30am - 8.30am then 4.30pm - 8.30pm generally Oct to Mar, typical electrical use, TV, broadband, kitchen appliances and the wife and I work from home. I’m probably in the “typical” use bracket and I’m paying £155 per month on Octopus’s variable rate and expected to go to £260 in October.

Hope that gives you an idea of what you might be paying, assuming you’re typical use too.

9 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I doubt you’ll get anything other than the variable rate as a new customer.

You won’t know your usage but I’m in a 3 bed house, heating is on 6.30am - 8.30am then 4.30pm - 8.30pm generally Oct to Mar, typical electrical use, TV, broadband, kitchen appliances and the wife and I work from home. I’m probably in the “typical” use bracket and I’m paying £155 per month on Octopus’s variable rate and expected to go to £260 in October.

Hope that gives you an idea of what you might be paying, assuming you’re typical use too.

Cheers for that.

We're moving from an older 2 bedroom to a more typical 3 bedroom house and those are the times our heating is genreally on and used so has given me a good idea of what to ecpext.

hmfc_liam06
3 hours ago, jambo89 said:

Cheers for that.

We're moving from an older 2 bedroom to a more typical 3 bedroom house and those are the times our heating is genreally on and used so has given me a good idea of what to ecpext.

No worries.

We’ve recently moved from a draughty older build to a new build, noticeable difference in heat retention so I’m hoping it makes a difference to the usage.

14 hours ago, Smithee said:

8 quid a day for 2 people to pay bills, buy food, exist. £28 per person for your bills and food a week.

Aye but it's your own fault for buying fags, Sky t.v., mobile phone contracts blah, blah, blah

WorldChampions1902
On 08/07/2022 at 18:51, Smithee said:

Those UC figures aren’t even a subsistence-level income. So as a minimum, when this circus act government get their s**t together, they need to basically pony-up all the energy bill hike and build it into UC payments for all.

But they won’t and even Martin Lewis is starting to consider the possibility of Civil disorder if there is no additional substantial government support.

Unknown user
13 hours ago, jambo89 said:

Aye but it's your own fault for buying fags, Sky t.v., mobile phone contracts blah, blah, blah

Well this is it. It doesn't matter how disciplined you are or how good at budgeting, you simply can't cover your food and bills on that kind of money.

If you're ****ed either way, you might as well spend what little money you get on things that bring pleasure to life.

18 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Those UC figures aren’t even a subsistence-level income. So as a minimum, when this circus act government get their s**t together, they need to basically pony-up all the energy bill hike and build it into UC payments for all.

But they won’t and even Martin Lewis is starting to consider the possibility of Civil disorder if there is no additional substantial government support.

It surprises me that more people don't talk about it, I think they must be wary of being judged. Statistically there must be quite a few on UC in here, but society kicks down these days. If you're not a success in life it must be a moral failing and there's no sympathy.

I've been lucky, I've got good family and friends, but if I didn't I'd be in real trouble.

WorldChampions1902
12 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Well this is it. It doesn't matter how disciplined you are or how good at budgeting, you simply can't cover your food and bills on that kind of money.

If you're ****ed either way, you might as well spend what little money you get on things that bring pleasure to life.

It surprises me that more people don't talk about it, I think they must be wary of being judged. Statistically there must be quite a few on UC in here, but society kicks down these days. If you're not a success in life it must be a moral failing and there's no sympathy.

I've been lucky, I've got good family and friends, but if I didn't I'd be in real trouble.

Like you’ve said before, life can take a sudden downward spiral through no fault of your own and yes, a lot of people can be judgemental. They would think differently if they found themselves in straitened circumstances due to unforeseen events.

It’s nice to hear you have such a good support network around you and whilst many people can lean on that, like you’re intimating, not everyone is in that position. For them, it’s food banks and other charitable support which TBH whilst welcome, will be relatively insignificant. I really feel for people in that situation.

Something has to change.

Unknown user
6 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Like you’ve said before, life can take a sudden downward spiral through no fault of your own and yes, a lot of people can be judgemental. They would think differently if they found themselves in straitened circumstances due to unforeseen events.

It’s nice to hear you have such a good support network around you and whilst many people can lean on that, like you’re intimating, not everyone is in that position. For them, it’s food banks and other charitable support which TBH whilst welcome, will be relatively insignificant. I really feel for people in that situation.

Something has to change.

Yep, and I think we need to go outside the box. I'd consider making Asda and Tesco reduce prices on non luxury goods, and significantly. Maybe make them run at a small profit for a year, then see where that takes us.

It seems to be accepted that when we're in tough times the small guy gets the hit.

**** that, they can afford it, maybe it's time to give something back.

doctor jambo
15 hours ago, Smithee said:

Yep, and I think we need to go outside the box. I'd consider making Asda and Tesco reduce prices on non luxury goods, and significantly. Maybe make them run at a small profit for a year, then see where that takes us.

It seems to be accepted that when we're in tough times the small guy gets the hit.

**** that, they can afford it, maybe it's time to give something back.

There should be no rent / gas/leccy bills for those who cannot work.

No council tax etc .

the nation houses you and keeps you warm then gives you money for clothes food etc.

simples.

that way all basic needs are covered until you can find a job .

The thing I can't get my head around is how there's still so much traffic on the roads given the cost of petrol and I was reading earlier that petrol sales in the UK are indeed holding up strongly. You would think that given the current price of fuel people would be (a) driving considerably less and (b) putting less fuel in their cars when they fill up. It really is quite counter-intuitive.

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, stirlo said:

The thing I can't get my head around is how there's still so much traffic on the roads given the cost of petrol and I was reading earlier that petrol sales in the UK are indeed holding up strongly. You would think that given the current price of fuel people would be (a) driving considerably less and (b) putting less fuel in their cars when they fill up. It really is quite counter-intuitive.

Maybe a lot more credit cards getting used.

Unknown user
56 minutes ago, stirlo said:

People see their car as essential, they'll be cutting back on other stuff and eating into savings before that starts in earnest I reckon.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

No council tax etc .

the nation houses you and keeps you warm then gives you money for clothes food etc.

simples.

No arguments here

1 hour ago, stirlo said:

People need to get to work still. No way around it for some.

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

No council tax etc .

simples.

Cruise ships are empty, fill them with jobless people and head South for the winter. Just Bikinis & Trunks, no gas bills or council tax...:biggrin2:

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

People see their car as essential, they'll be cutting back on other stuff and eating into savings before that starts in earnest I reckon.

Especially in rural areas where it's often a case of, if you don't have a car, you don't have a job, simples.

5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Especially in rural areas where it's often a case of, if you don't have a car, you don't have a job, simples.

Yep, or getting kids to the School bus never mind the school, getting to the shops, everything revolves around the car for people living in rural areas now, an absolute essential. 

skinnybob72
4 hours ago, stirlo said:

i mentioned this to the Mrs today as we drove back from through West having been at a wedding reception last night - roads were heaving and being a Sunday I would expect a smaller percentage were travelling for work.

If the garages are still selling almost the same amount of fuel no matter the cost then where is their incentive to reduce prices when / if oil prices do reduce? 

Jambo-Jimbo
20 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Something has to change.

Absolutely, in little over a year I went from working full-time to not working at all (due to health issues).

I don't get a penny from the state, absolutely nothing as we slipped through every safety net there was, so in little over a year we lost a whole wage completely, so yeh it happens and it happens to hundreds of thousands of people every year.  Some are lucky and get UC or other benefits, but there are thousands who get nothing at all.

Malinga the Swinga
4 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

No council tax etc .

simples.

For those that cannot work, I fully agree. By cannot work, they have a proven disability that prevents them contributing to the workforce.

What about those who choose not to work?

What needs of theirs get covered and who decides whether someone is fit to work or not?

I'm not for leaving it up to the individuals themselves, so who judges as that's a pretty thankless task?

4 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

For those that cannot work, I fully agree. By cannot work, they have a proven disability that prevents them contributing to the workforce.

What needs of theirs get covered and who decides whether someone is fit to work or not?

I'm not for leaving it up to the individuals themselves, so who judges as that's a pretty thankless task?

Pretty much where I'm at.

42 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

i mentioned this to the Mrs today as we drove back from through West having been at a wedding reception last night - roads were heaving and being a Sunday I would expect a smaller percentage were travelling for work.

If the garages are still selling almost the same amount of fuel no matter the cost then where is their incentive to reduce prices when / if oil prices do reduce? 

I think it does go some way to explaining why the price at the forecourts is remaining stubbornly high despite the wholesale price having dropped recently. 

Jambo-Jimbo
22 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Isn't that the medical panel, remember they were getting slaughtered for passing dying people fit for work.

I don't know what it's like nowadays, but when I was attending the jobcentre, certain diseases/conditions earned you enough points meaning you didn't need to go infront of a panel for x amount of time, can't remember how long it was.

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Isn't that the medical panel, remember they were getting slaughtered for passing dying people fit for work.

I don't know what it's like nowadays, but when I was attending the jobcentre, certain diseases/conditions earned you enough points meaning you didn't need to go infront of a panel for x amount of time, can't remember how long it was.

There's the issue. Those who are passed fit for work but believe they are unfit, will be straight onto social media claiming it's unfair. They will immediately be supported by those who believe the benefit should be there regardless of facts.

Then we go round in circles and end up where we were years ago.

I have no idea what answer is though.

skinnybob72
8 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

There's the issue. Those who are passed fit for work but believe they are unfit, will be straight onto social media claiming it's unfair. They will immediately be supported by those who believe the benefit should be there regardless of facts.

Then we go round in circles and end up where we were years ago.

I have no idea what answer is though.

Those who don't want to work can simply be used as organ donors for those who do want to work, reducing unemployment, benefit costs and NHS waiting times all at once.....

*Not being serious.* 😛

I think more young people might heading home to the bank of ma & da.....!

3-4 cars in one drive way might soon be the norm.....!

The largest annual outlay for the average Brit is their holiday abroad. 93 million holidays abroad were taken by Brits in 2019. Joe Soap, will be denied their jaunt abroad with escalating food, fuel and energy prices, all that lovely taxable dosh staying in the UK to pay for furlough and the Pandemic...maybe?

Edited by OBE

doctor jambo
4 hours ago, OBE said:

The largest annual outlay for the average Brit is their holiday abroad. 93 million holidays abroad were taken by Brits in 2019. Joe Soap, will be denied their jaunt abroad with escalating food, fuel and energy prices, all that lovely taxable dosh staying in the UK to pay for furlough and the Pandemic...maybe?

Largest outlays

- tax by quite some distance

- mortgage

- holidays

- everything else 

the tax burden is the largest in 70 years .

tax revenue is the highest in history.

you may draw from that why people are skint, and it isn’t holidays or houses

It's not taxes either.

Collective bargaining is how tax works. The government gets stuff on the cheap as it's shopping for 60million customers.

At lest, that's the theory.

If we paid no tax at all and had to pay for everything ourselves then you'd find out how much trouble you'd really be in.

WorldChampions1902
10 hours ago, OBE said:

Once the Moggster becomes PM, paid holidays will be abolished and we can revert to the good old days. Also looking forward to the return of the halcyon days of sending young children up chimneys and swathes of the working population ‘in-service’. (Or should that be servitude?).