• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, joondalupjambo said:

Yeah tend to agree.

If you have multiple properties to rent out, and one goes bad then at least you can offset the losses etc against the portfolio.  You also accept it more, the hassle I mean because it is more likely a job. However with just one when you break it down the monthly profit after tax is pretty low versus the risk.  If properly prices go up and up though worthwhile but ours is in an area where prices are pretty flat. Selling it will take time but hey ho life if what it is.

Good luck.

We had to take a wee bit less than the valuation figure, but just wanted shot of it.

Selling may not take as long as you anticipate. Ours went in 6 weeks.

Nucky Thompson
51 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Our petrol prices are highest in Europe

I'm just back from Greece last Thursday and it was 2.40 euro a litre of unleaded at the pumps.

Not sure what the prices in other European countries are though

joondalupjambo
11 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Good luck.

We had to take a wee bit less than the valuation figure, but just wanted shot of it.

Selling may not take as long as you anticipate. Ours went in 6 weeks.

👍

skinnybob72
1 hour ago, Captain Sausage said:

Its 27k no?

The windfall tax is nothing but a political gesture. They’ve announced investment incentives that’ll negate a majority of the windfall tax. 

But good to see it’s been picked up and considered a good policy by most. 

Correct, a soundbite to appease the huddled masses and stop them asking questions. The reality is the companies will offset any windfall tax against something else. 

The Government (whichever colour they wear) are there to represent the interests of big business first and foremost. They always have been. Anything given to the ordinary working person is merely a crumb from the table of the elite. 

Edited by skinnybob72

Malinga the Swinga

If they reduce the stamp duty by 10p as is rumoured, what's the chances of retailers keeping it for themselves and leaving the consumer paying same high price.

The only way that we see the benefit is if they legislate that cut must be passed on.

14 hours ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Folk deride the baby boxes introduced by the Scottish Government as a gimick. For many they are going to be an absolute lifeline.

For some money saving advice, try and get as much second hand or hand-me-downs as you can. Buying new things for a new baby is obviously nice, but to be honest, they are in and out of stuff so quickly that you can end up spending a fortune.

Hopefully October's rise isn't as bad as everyone is predicting, and best of wishes to you and yours when the baby comes. 👍

Thanks mate 👍 

Yeah defo need to try and do as you suggested. The box will definitely come in handy. 

46 % of the the £1.82 a litre is tax.

Fuel cost 94p

Transport 2p 

Retail margin 3p 

Fuel duty 53p 

VAT 30p 

Now tell me Itchy Bawsack(Sorry, but that's a belter :D) can't do anything. The French and Germans have reduced fuel duty by 12p and 14p per litre.

Edited by ri Alban

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

46 % of the the £1.82 a litre is tax.

Fuel cost 94p

Transport 2p 

Retail margin 3p 

Fuel duty 53p 

VAT 30p 

Now tell me Itchy Bawsack(Sorry, but that's a belter :D) can't do anything. The French and Germans have reduced fuel duty by 12p and 14p per litre.

Isn’t petrol more expensive in France ? 

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Dazo said:

If it is we should be grateful that our is cheaper.

Nothing to complain about.

Without trying to appear dramatic but the rise in energy prices has hit me (I know everyone really) pretty hard.

From £61- £235 a month just like that. 🙁

Coupled with a few other unexpected small bills it means that I am now skipping meals 2/3 days a week. I don’t smoke and rarely go out.

I earn ok money but I struggle every month to stay out of debit. 

Never thought that at 54 I would be living like this. I know it’s the same for so many but it’s came as a shock to me. 

Sign of the times I suppose 

48 minutes ago, Dazo said:

More or less the same when you convert € to £.

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

On a par with the UK.

33 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Without trying to appear dramatic but the rise in energy prices has hit me (I know everyone really) pretty hard.

Coupled with a few other unexpected small bills it means that I am now skipping meals 2/3 days a week. I don’t smoke and rarely go out.

Never thought that at 54 I would be living like this. I know it’s the same for so many but it’s came as a shock to me. 

Mate, there's no way your fuel bill should have quadrupled. Were you in debt when the price jump hit? (not being nosey but the rise was only 50 odd percent). I just came off a fixed rate but had kept an eye on things to ensure I was in credit (only by a small amount) and mines went up 60 %). We all need to keep on top of this, checking usage submitting readings etc. (even though I have a smart meter I still submit readings). Swapping suppliers is a no go at the minute and the fixed rates they are offering are terrible, the standard rate at the moment is what they are advising (if not already fixed). Skipping meals to pay for fuel bills is not a great place to be, can you claim the £650 on top of the £400 everyone's to get, might be worth you enquiring.

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

On a par with the UK.

Not leasing by example then. Thought the EU were the dogs bollox and it was just the uk that was getting it wrong. 🙄

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, Morgan said:

On a par with the UK.

That’ll please some that you’re getting ripped off as well.

Just now, Dazo said:

Not leasing by example then. Thought the EU were the dogs bollox and it was just the uk that was getting it wrong. 🙄

Yes, not really leading by example on this particular topic.

To be honest though, the general cost of living here is marginally cheaper than in the UK.

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’ll please some that you’re getting ripped off as well.

:greggy:

il Duce McTarkin
46 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Have you checked your actual usage against what your direct debit is?

My Mrs agreed to their suggested DD amount and now we're sitting in credit by a couple of hundred pounds.

These companies will be doing this to everyone. A few hundred quid off every customer is a LOT of our money sitting in their investment accounts earning them more money.

****ing charlatans.

8 minutes ago, HKP said:

Mate, there's no way your fuel bill should have quadrupled. Were you in debt when the price jump hit? (not being nosey but the rise was only 50 odd percent). I just came off a fixed rate but had kept an eye on things to ensure I was in credit (only by a small amount) and mines went up 60 %). We all need to keep on top of this, checking usage submitting readings etc. (even though I have a smart meter I still submit readings). Swapping suppliers is a no go at the minute and the fixed rates they are offering are terrible, the standard rate at the moment is what they are advising (if not already fixed). Skipping meals to pay for fuel bills is not a great place to be, can you claim the £650 on top of the £400 everyone's to get, might be worth you enquiring.

I actually got a small rebate when I swapped suppliers to OVO.

I started in March and was paying £125 a month - but after 2 months readings they upped it. 

It’s the electric not gas that seems to be the issue. Not sure what’s changed - it’s mainly myself and my eldest. I have repeatedly asked for a smart meter and to check if meter is faulty

3 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

My Mrs agreed to their suggested DD amount and now we're sitting in credit by a couple of hundred pounds.

These companies will be doing this to everyone. A few hundred quid off every customer is a LOT of our money sitting in their investment accounts earning them more money.

****ing charlatans.

Yes - I think you are right. I suspect I will get it reduced but the money sits in their accounts in the meantime 

15 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

****ing charlatans.

Mentioned this earlier in the thread. 
We have a facility to reduce the DD amounts and did so recently as they were both in good amounts of credit.

Keep it low in the summer and increase it in October as it goes up.

Better in your pocket right now as you say. 

il Duce McTarkin
12 minutes ago, Boab said:

Mentioned this earlier in the thread. 
We have a facility to reduce the DD amounts and did so recently as they were both in good amounts of credit.

Keep it low in the summer and increase it in October as it goes up.

Better in your pocket right now as you say. 

They're hard at it, Boab.

:seething:

18 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

How is it profiteering? Oil and gas are commodities which have prices set by the global market. Asia opening up post COVID caused prices to rise dramatically and Putin holding Europe over a barrel has pushed it astromically up. 

BP, Shell etc don’t set prices. BP made a loss of $6b in 2020, but I guess that doesn’t suit the narrative. I was speaking to a pal who is an oil and gas analyst in London and he said he didn’t see how the windfall tax would raise the money HMT stated it would. The 91p rebate on domestic investment means that these companies will just utilise that lever to almost negate their windfall tax liability. 

Also people digging out the supply companies, they are running at a loss on the price cap. They are still subsidising every domestic user. 

edit - fully agree about shameless profiteering at the pump. That is disgusting behaviour and the government should be introducing laws to protect consumers (ie maximum rates of price increases or tying price to Brent value)

Any idea how much they paid out in dividends to shareholders in 2020?

il Duce McTarkin
28 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

I started in March and was paying £125 a month - but after 2 months readings they upped it. 

It’s the electric not gas that seems to be the issue. Not sure what’s changed - it’s mainly myself and my eldest. I have repeatedly asked for a smart meter and to check if meter is faulty

Definitely get a smart meter, bud.

1 hour ago, PTBCAL said:

Yes - I think you are right. I suspect I will get it reduced but the money sits in their accounts in the meantime 

If you haven't already take a meter reading g today then in a week look at how much you've used. See what that coats against your tariff to work out if £200+ is accurate.

I'd be surprised though as we have gone from £130 to £230. 

The only reason I can think kff would be if the £60 you were paying wasn't covering your usage. Given you got a rebate though that can't be the case.

We are now moving into the low usage period for gas and electricity, so anyone paying monthly by direct debit should only have a small debit or credit on the balance on their account. If not, then the supplier has miscalculated the direct debit. The direct debit should be based on 12 months energy use, so between now and October you build up a large surplus to offset the higher usage in winter, with the aim being that this time next year you have a zero balance. 

Your supplier will base the direct debit on what it says you will use, but I never trust my supplier to get it right; they always over estimate. I go back and check the actual use over the last year, work out the annual cost based on the current prices and from there I can work out what I should be paying. If they are a little out I just leave it, but over the years I've had some wacky projected estimates. When I challenge the figures they always back down and twelve months later I'm never far out.         

54 minutes ago, henryheart said:

We are now moving into the low usage period for gas and electricity, so anyone paying monthly by direct debit should only have a small debit or credit on the balance on their account. If not, then the supplier has miscalculated the direct debit. The direct debit should be based on 12 months energy use, so between now and October you build up a large surplus to offset the higher usage in winter, with the aim being that this time next year you have a zero balance. 

Your supplier will base the direct debit on what it says you will use, but I never trust my supplier to get it right; they always over estimate. I go back and check the actual use over the last year, work out the annual cost based on the current prices and from there I can work out what I should be paying. If they are a little out I just leave it, but over the years I've had some wacky projected estimates. When I challenge the figures they always back down and twelve months later I'm never far out.         

Yeah, I'm the same, take last year's reading, calculate how much it would cost at the new rates and see what you use per month (£). Set direct debit a fraction higher to counteract any unusual weather etc. monitor monthly to ensure everything is on track. I'd be either miles under or miles over if I paid any attention to my supplier. Sometimes think they just make it up.

* I also submit readings (even though I have smart meter) every month and get a monthly bill. It's too easy just to ignore it thinking because I have a smart meter it will be fine, still needs monitored etc.

Edited by HKP
spelling

3 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Martin Lewis was doing his absolute dinger at the companies over-inflating direct debits and like you say, helps their bank balances to hold onto our money.

Some of the providers will let you adjust the direct debit amount via their website, might be worth a look and use your meter readings to work out a good estimate of your current usage. I've done this with Scottish Power as they wanted an outrageous direct debit from us which was way OTT from what our usage was even with the 54% rise. 

doctor jambo
5 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

If you haven't already take a meter reading g today then in a week look at how much you've used. See what that coats against your tariff to work out if £200+ is accurate.

I'd be surprised though as we have gone from £130 to £230. 

The only reason I can think kff would be if the £60 you were paying wasn't covering your usage. Given you got a rebate though that can't be the case.

I went from £130 to £400

6 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Phone them and reduce your DD they cannot argue. Just keep an eye on what you are using, easy to work out. Martin Lewis done an article on these shysters increasing DDs more than the percentage rise. They are at it. Good luck and keep eating. Ps were you ever B.U.S.Y B.E.E?

20 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Still can't understand why anyone does direct debit?

Any company that presents something as 'easy' for you isn't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Get savvy with your budgeting and understanding your usage, then pay on a cash basis and keep the money in your own account as long as possible, not topping up theirs needlessly.

I have DDs but am savvy enough to reduce and increase them as I see fit. 
Or, as the demand increases or diminishes.

I do have some empathy for some who  don’t have a scooby about these things but overpaid spraffers on TV telling you not to fill your kettle right to the top for a couple of mugs of tea ?

Really ?

joondalupjambo
7 hours ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

****ing charlatans.

I never bothered, it went from 48 to 90 even though I was in credit and now two months down the line I am 250 in gas credit in summer.  I thought that the rules were that everyone has a 12 month period then a review and if you are in credit you are refunded. 

My review is due on 1st October with SSE by which time I will be circa 450 to 500 in credit.  I have gas cooking and a combi boiler so ther will be some gas usage until the review date.  In the old days you could carry over credit unless you asked for it back but now my understanding is the company has to refund all, or at least part of you credit.  Anything over 100 quid rings a bell.

If this is the case then companies will not be able to bank as much as they need before the credits start appearing on our bills or am I wrong here?  I thought Cameron put this in place.  It maybe company by company but do not think so.

il Duce McTarkin
5 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

I never bothered, it went from 48 to 90 even though I was in credit and now two months down the line I am 250 in gas credit in summer.  I thought that the rules were that everyone has a 12 month period then a review and if you are in credit you are refunded. 

My review is due on 1st October with SSE by which time I will be circa 450 to 500 in credit.  I have gas cooking and a combi boiler so ther will be some gas usage until the review date.  In the old days you could carry over credit unless you asked for it back but now my understanding is the company has to refund all, or at least part of you credit.  Anything over 100 quid rings a bell.

If this is the case then companies will not be able to bank as much as they need before the credits start appearing on our bills or am I wrong here?  I thought Cameron put this in place.  It maybe company by company but do not think so.

Nae idea, tbh. 

I'm happy enough to let the credit ride until it's eventually swallowed up by the next mega-hike.

I realise that not everyone is in that position, though.

joondalupjambo
18 hours ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Nae idea, tbh. 

I'm happy enough to let the credit ride until it's eventually swallowed up by the next mega-hike.

I realise that not everyone is in that position, though.

Luckily I am the same and would like to roll it over.  I checked back last year and yep I got a refund in mid October because I was in credit by 165, I got the 65 back.  I really hope that SSE do not do the same this year and give me any credit back but I fear they will.  It is not really an issue because I can pay the first bill off via an additional payment but it just saves time and hassle if the credit is left in the account.

20 hours ago, jonesy said:

Still can't understand why anyone does direct debit?

Any company that presents something as 'easy' for you isn't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Get savvy with your budgeting and understanding your usage, then pay on a cash basis and keep the money in your own account as long as possible, not topping up theirs needlessly.

DD bills tend to be lower, or they certainly used to be, because the power firms get guaranteed money.

John Gentleman
On 31/05/2022 at 04:06, ri Alban said:

Scotland produces more than it uses and we might end up with power cuts. Feck off.

Same's starting to happen here. And Australia's one of the world's biggest producers of oil and gas!

John Gentleman
9 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

Same's starting to happen here. And Australia's one of the world's biggest producers of oil and gas!

....and coal!!

5 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Where's the money going? It's a total scam.

John Gentleman
21 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Where's the money going? It's a total scam.

Foreign outfits like Chevron etc. Aided and abetted by successive, incompetent governments who're too scared to take them on.

Yet, somehow, Norway and Qatar have managed it. You're right -- it's a disgrace.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-13/ian-verrender-column-on-electricity-bills/101146926

6 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

Foreign outfits like Chevron etc. Aided and abetted by successive, incompetent governments who're too scared to take them on.

Yet, somehow, Norway and Qatar have managed it. You're right -- it's a disgrace.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-13/ian-verrender-column-on-electricity-bills/101146926

I just read that Spain petrol per litre is £1.70 and they have higher tax and they import the stuff. £1.90 petrol and £2 Diesel here. Something isn't right .

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I just read that Spain petrol per litre is £1.70 and they have higher tax and they import the stuff. £1.90 petrol and £2 Diesel here. Something isn't right .

£90 to fill the car up today. This must be hammering families. 

"It's all tax!"

Oh aye, that must be why BP and Shell are posting double/triple their profits over last year right enough

ArcticJambo

And refineries making 4/5 times what they normally do, so I heard on R4 the other day.

Does anyone think this might just be the start .A way of shaping our behaviour.

Does anyone think this might just be a good thing and the similar pricing internationally  just might be a concerted effort to actually doing something about the climate crisis ?

Whether it is or not power cuts and fuel rationing through affordability is going to be the Norm.

Where we in the UK are miles behind is insulated houses and district heating.