energy prices

Masonic

2 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

So it's a conflict of interest, corrupt the lot of them influencing their own cash cows

They need to register interests in order to prevent conflicts of interest.  Lobbying on behalf of businesses and industries,  etc.  But the whole thing has been abused for decades.  

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JudyJudyJudy

I got a bill Saying I was in credit of £300 and then I’ve noticed that they have taken £110 out as a direct debit the other day . I was going to phone them but it’s all the hassle of calling them which is nippy as fevk . 

hmfc_liam06
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

They’ll maybe come down a fraction and tell us how wonderful they are.

Exactly this. I'll never see my £80 per month energy bill ever again.

mrmarkus1981_1
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

They'll come down by something like 35% and it'll be portrayed that it's a wonderful thing, whilst completely ignoring that they had went up by 120% - 150%+ in the previous couple of years.

100% this.

Headlines that ASDA 'slash fuel prices'. Aye, to £1.86 a litre, and were meant to be delighted with that now.

Whole thing is messed!!

Jambo-Jimbo
46 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Why is it down to the government ? What is stopping these companies filtering some of these profits down to their customers by the way of reduced prices ? 

Why not the anger aimed at them rather than blaming the government for not over taxing them. 

Going after them via tax will result in these huge profits disappearing from their accounts that we can tax them on imo. 

Nothing stopping them, but do you really think they would reduce their prices.........voluntarily?

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Jambomuzz said:

That’s what I’m worried about. I’m In a fortunate position whereby I stay myself and don’t use excessive amounts of fuel. Have been overpaying for the last few months and built up a good amount of credit as a buffer incase times were tight over the winter. I really worry for people that are already living day to day and have to deal with such an increase. It’s frightening. 

Same here, we are trying to build up as big a buffer as we can during the summer, should be somewhere between £450 to £500 in credit come October, then it'll be interesting how much they try and put our DD up by.

The new tariff's will be out in the next month or so, and I have all my bills from the last 3 years, including a cold winter (the winter before last), so I'll be able to work out my usage during a cold winter with the new tarffi's, once I've done that, i can then see if they are taking the piss and take it from there.

1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I got a bill Saying I was in credit of £300 and then I’ve noticed that they have taken £110 out as a direct debit the other day . I was going to phone them but it’s all the hassle of calling them which is nippy as fevk . 

I cancelled my DD as I was in credit but they put up the amount 3 months running without consent.

You don’t lose much as the discount for DD is pretty small, although you do have to put aside an amount each month and hope you’ve judged it right when the bill comes in

52 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Nothing stopping them, but do you really think they would reduce their prices.........voluntarily?

It ought to be fairly easy for the government to legislate a maximum price for petrol, linked to the price of a barrel of oil and flexed once a month. The price of petrol now should be around £1.55 to £1.62. It’s £1.85 everywhere round us. That’s blatant profiteering  and operating a monopoly and a cartel. It’s damaging the economy and these companys are making billions extra off the back of it

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I cancelled my DD as I was in credit but they put up the amount 3 months running without consent.

You don’t lose much as the discount for DD is pretty small, although you do have to put aside an amount each month and hope you’ve judged it right when the bill comes in

I went online and looked at my account. My direct debit is £110 per month all year.  So in all £1320 annually. Only used £5 gas last month though but i suppose the £110 covers the winter months.  Not great really but i suppose some peoples bills are much higher.  

Just now, JimmyCant said:

It ought to be fairly easy for the government to legislate a maximum price for petrol, linked to the price of a barrel of oil and flexed once a month. The price of petrol now should be around £1.55 to £1.62. It’s £1.85 everywhere round us. That’s blatant profiteering  and operating a monopoly and a cartel. It’s damaging the economy and these companys are making billions extra off the back of it

I don't know what profit there is on the forecourt, a few years ago out local builders supplies got rid of their petrol and diesel pumps because the owner said there was no profit in it, he reckoned it only took someone to do a runner without paying and a few paying a tennner when they were getting 10 pound and seven pence say every month and he'd be out of pocket, the agricultural store where we fill our vehicles are now saying the same.

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I went online and looked at my account. My direct debit is £110 per month all year.  So in all £1320 annually. Only used £5 gas last month though but i suppose the £110 covers the winter months.  Not great really but i suppose some peoples bills are much higher.  

Yes that’s true. At the moment I set aside £110 a month for gas and electric. That ought to cover both summer bills due at the end of the month. I’ll up it to £160 from September and then £180 to cover the winter bills. Any extra I’ll just need to find from disposable income I suppose.

Not everyone will be able to do it the way I do it and I really fear for those already struggling come the winter

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

I don't know what profit there is on the forecourt, a few years ago out local builders supplies got rid of their petrol and diesel pumps because the owner said there was no profit in it, he reckoned it only took someone to do a runner without paying and a few paying a tennner when they were getting 10 pound and seven pence say every month and he'd be out of pocket, the agricultural store where we fill our vehicles are now saying the same.

I’m sure the independent forecourt’s are struggling to turn a £, but the big global retailers are killing it

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Not everyone will be able to do it the way I do it and I really fear for those already struggling come the winter

Yes it must be a big worry for some. Well a lot of people. Those energy companies are at it i feel. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Take a screen shot of it for prosperity. 

Jambo-Jimbo
37 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I've been saying for years that there should be a regulator, there is for everything else, except for petrol/diesel.

Dean Winchester
5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm on a fixed for another year and was curious to see what the jump would be so done a comparison today... I'll need to start putting some away into another account for when the term ends :lol: Frightening.

hmfc_liam06
5 minutes ago, Dean Winchester said:

I'm on a fixed for another year and was curious to see what the jump would be so done a comparison today... I'll need to start putting some away into another account for when the term ends :lol: Frightening.

Haha aye be prepared! I suppose the one positive, if you can call it that, is not being on a fixed the jumps have been less severe than those coming off a fixed will experience 😂

Jambo-Jimbo

Ofgem have confirmed that the energy price cap will be reviewed and updated every 3 months instead of every 6 months.

We knew it was coming, but that's it offical now.

On 02/08/2022 at 10:40, JudyJudyJudy said:

We got an email saying the same. Ours was for £700. It was a bit of a misnomer though. They hadn't actually billed us/taken money out our account since January. So the £700 (and more) was taken out our account a couple weeks back. We are now £300 in debit to them but our monthly contributions will cover that for the rest of the year. Not counting to price rise in October.

Edited by hughesie27

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Ofgem have confirmed that the energy price cap will be reviewed and updated every 3 months instead of every 6 months.

We knew it was coming, but that's it offical now.

To stop price shocks they say.
****ing great eh !
Instead of your bill going up £600 every six months it will be £300 every three months !

😂

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

We got an email saying the same. Ours was for £700. It was a bit of a misnomer though. They hadn't actually billed us/taken money out our account since January. So the £700 (and more) was taken out our account a couple weeks back. We are now £300 in debit to them but our monthly contributions will cover that for the rest of the year. Not counting to price rise in October.

I've got another year ro go on my present tariff. 

Better start saving. 

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Boab said:

To stop price shocks they say.
****ing great eh !
Instead of your bill going up £600 every six months it will be £300 every three months !

😂

It's laughable. 

Ok I'm going out on a limb here. How about we take back public ownership of energy, gas ect. The French have capped their increase to 5% because they  publically own the biggest share in EDF ect. I'm probably talking bollocks and it is more likely more complicated than that.....🤷‍♂️

Edited by micole

JudyJudyJudy
14 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Yes well apparently mine is £110 every month until any new rise . God knows what it will be in October . Im so glad I’m working . I really for anyone on UC or low incomes where this type of monthly debit will be a struggle for them , in fact they just won’t be able to pay it 

Our Gas changes every month 82 , 60 , 72 , 52

It's not been on other than for when we use hot water since the start of April 🤣

My wife has to phone them up as well as they don't take the direct debit cause there has been a price change.

17 minutes ago, FWJ said:

If so much of our electricity in Scotland is generated by renewables why is the price ballooning?

Because there are not separate electricity grids for Scotland and the rest of the UK.

It's all one big grid.

All the costs and prices are set at a Uk national level.

If Scotland was on a separate grid then 95%+ of the energy would come from renewables and insulated against the wholesale price of gas/coal/nuclear which is forcing bills to skyrocket.

Jambo-Jimbo
21 minutes ago, micole said:

Ok I'm going out on a limb here. How about we take back public ownership of energy, gas ect. The French have capped their increase to 5% because they  publically own the biggest share in EDF ect. I'm probably talking bollocks and it is more likely more complicated than that.....🤷‍♂️

I'm sure most of the energy companies in the UK are either wholly foreign owned or have a large foreign owned percentage, so not easy to take back into state ownership.

There is one state owned energy supplier.....effectively, Bulb is being propped up by the government, however it's cost around about £2bn to keep it going over the last 6 or 7 months and that's for only 1.6 million customers, so imagine what it would cost for 20 million customers, a lot of money.

Unknown user

Things are getting tough for all of us, but think about how this is landing on the lowest rungs.

Just to remind you all that a year of Universal Credit is £4018.

And of course, if you're on Universal Credit, you've got a pay as you go meter, the most expensive way to pay for your fuel.

20 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'm sure most of the energy companies in the UK are either wholly foreign owned or have a large foreign owned percentage, so not easy to take back into state ownership.

There is one state owned energy supplier.....effectively, Bulb is being propped up by the government, however it's cost around about £2bn to keep it going over the last 6 or 7 months and that's for only 1.6 million customers, so imagine what it would cost for 20 million customers, a lot of money.

Yup,I thought as much. Never an easy answer, just wish we never sold of the energy companies, maybe it would have made a difference. Again I am no expert but I do wonder the money we are/ having to spend on giving help ect could be used towards nationalising the companies. Wishful/ fantasy thinking in my part.

Unknown user
27 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

But not impossible. We've seen it happen with ScotRail, it's possible.

Jambo-Jimbo
5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

But not impossible. We've seen it happen with ScotRail, it's possible.

Bit of a difference there, because as far as I know, ScotRail is owned and always has been owned by the Scottish Government/Transport Scotland, and ScotRail is run as a franchise by whatever company wins the contract to run it, be it Abellio, First Group, Arriva, National Express or whoever, but they don't actually own ScotRail, they just operate the service for however long their franchise lasts.

Unknown user
22 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Bit of a difference there, because as far as I know, ScotRail is owned and always has been owned by the Scottish Government/Transport Scotland, and ScotRail is run as a franchise by whatever company wins the contract to run it, be it Abellio, First Group, Arriva, National Express or whoever, but they don't actually own ScotRail, they just operate the service for however long their franchise lasts.

They are very different, I didn't really think them through as parallels, but it's not impossible to achieve

Who runs/owns/is the watchdog for "ofgem"?

Why do they decide what the cap should be and who in Ofgem benefits from that?

Who would be able to sack the Ofgem CEO?

Sounds like a quango that nobody really know who runs it or why...or who pays for it...or how much they get paid...or who they answer to.

What a circus!

6 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Who runs/owns/is the watchdog for "ofgem"?

Why do they decide what the cap should be and who in Ofgem benefits from that?

Who would be able to sack the Ofgem CEO?

Sounds like a quango that nobody really know who runs it or why...or who pays for it...or how much they get paid...or who they answer to.

What a circus!

Well it's the government isn't it ?

They set the policy.

They can change the framework in how Ofgem operate.

Don't hold your breath !

2 minutes ago, Boab said:

Well it's the government isn't it ?

They set the policy.

They can change the framework in how Ofgem operate.

Don't hold your breath !

That's the answer I was aiming for Boab.

WHY OH WHY CANT THE MEDIA REPORT ON THIS???? JUST ASK A TORY MP IF THEY THINK THEY SHOULD REVIEW OFGEM & THEIR POWERS & IF NOT, WHY NOT FFS!!!!

Edited by Pans Jambo

French Government has fully re-nationalised EDF.

France was wise enough to retain 84% of the company when privatising it in 2004.

18 years later, it's gone bust and the government has taken back over full control.

EDF is the UK's largest energy supplier.

12 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

That's the answer I was aiming for Boab.

WHY OH WHY CANT THE MEDIA REPORT ON THIS???? JUST ASK A TORY MP IF THEY THINK THEY SHOULD REVIEW OFGEM & THEIR POWERS & IF NOT, WHY NOT FFS!!!!

Because they're crooks basically.

Jambo-Jimbo
40 minutes ago, Smithee said:

They are very different, I didn't really think them through as parallels, but it's not impossible to achieve

Nothing's impossible.

If the Government wanted a state run energy company, they have the perfect opportunity to do so right here and now.

I'm sorry to repeat myself, but as the government are propping up Bulb with taxpayers money, Bulb are effectively state run already, all the government has to do is when the next rate increase happens in October, is to set Bulb's at a much lower rate than everybody else.  People will switch to Bulb in their droves, so much so that the other energy companies will have to lower their prices as well, just to stay in business.  It would achieve two things, one lower prices for everybody and two the state run company would increase it's customer base ten fold and become one of the if not the UK's biggest energy supplier.

Don't hold your breath on any of that happening though.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Nothing's impossible.

If the Government wanted a state run energy company, they have the perfect opportunity to do so right here and now.

I'm sorry to repeat myself, but as the government are propping up Bulb with taxpayers money, Bulb are effectively state run already, all the government has to do is when the next rate increase happens in October, is to set Bulb's at a much lower rate than everybody else.  People will switch to Bulb in their droves, so much so that the other energy companies will have to lower their prices as well, just to stay in business.  It would achieve two things, one lower prices for everybody and two the state run company would increase it's customer base ten fold and become one of the if not the UK's biggest energy supplier.

Don't hold your breath on any of that happening though.

so simple that it should be so obvious. 

Won't happen as the Tory party funds come from big Oil and gas suppliers. 

41 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I've just ordered 500 lts of heating oil, 92p per litre 😭😭😭

My mate down in England has to use Oil. He said pre locldown it was 27p a litre. He said at its peak it reached £1.50.

2 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

My mate down in England has to use Oil. He said pre locldown it was 27p a litre. He said at its peak it reached £1.50.

27p was cheap, last time we bought it, about Christmas, it was 52p, before lockdown it was around the 40p mark.

19 minutes ago, Cade said:

French Government has fully re-nationalised EDF.

France was wise enough to retain 84% of the company when privatising it in 2004.

18 years later, it's gone bust and the government has taken back over full control.

EDF is the UK's largest energy supplier.

And electricity in France is about 80% nuclear.

2 hours ago, Cade said:

Because there are not separate electricity grids for Scotland and the rest of the UK.

It's all one big grid.

All the costs and prices are set at a Uk national level.

If Scotland was on a separate grid then 95%+ of the energy would come from renewables and insulated against the wholesale price of gas/coal/nuclear which is forcing bills to skyrocket.

👍

Jambo-Jimbo
5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

so simple that it should be so obvious. 

Won't happen as the Tory party funds come from big Oil and gas suppliers. 

It would seem so obvious, hell if I can think of it, surely they can.