energy prices

Masonic

Malinga the Swinga
30 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

I don't have a problem paying extra tax on the proviso it helps people who need it by allowing a more progressive, fairer tax system. 

The record levels of taxation, including the NI rise enacted by a govt who were elected on a promise not to raise taxes, does not seem to attract the same opprobrium from those complaining about the Scottish tax rates. Or at least I haven't noticed a similar fervour. 

No problem with what your saying. I've already criticised Westminster. Sunak has lost his way and appears frightened to cut tax. We need tax cuts and economy is strong enough to do it. That's everywhere in UK.

All I'm saying is Scotland could lead the way, but they choose not to. 

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Captain Sausage
On 13/06/2022 at 18:41, Cade said:

"It's all tax!"

Oh aye, that must be why BP and Shell are posting double/triple their profits over last year right enough

I posted earlier in the thread, but petrol isn’t what makes companies like Shell and BP the massive profits. 

It’s the upstream business that makes the money, selling raw gas to market. 

The more you know…

16 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Half? Nobody pays half mate. 

If you look at the link below,  Someone on £40k only pays a tenner a month more than someone in England. 80 odd percent in Scotland pay less tax than rUK. 

https://www.gov.scot/publications/changes-scottish-income-tax-2022-2023-factsheet/

I'm not 

16 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Half? Nobody pays half mate. 

If you look at the link below,  Someone on £40k only pays a tenner a month more than someone in England. 80 odd percent in Scotland pay less tax than rUK. 

https://www.gov.scot/publications/changes-scottish-income-tax-2022-2023-factsheet/

Nearly .

I'm not comparing.

The UK taxation on the majority is eye-watering that's all I'm saying.

A hink it's time to mothball our cars for the foreseeable, jump on public transport, deprive the treasury of vat & duty and just watch the bus fares inevitably 🚀...Petrol prices will fall (£1.25 a litre is manageable) and we'll get addicted to our motors once again,...but as soon as it breaches the above figure, we bus it again until they get the message Dan Saff...If that doesn't work there's always wine, £6.50 per 0.75 of a litre for my current favourite...Porta 6 it's delicious 👍

17 minutes ago, OBE said:

A hink it's time to mothball our cars for the foreseeable, jump on public transport, deprive the treasury of vat & duty and just watch the bus fares inevitably 🚀...Petrol prices will fall (£1.25 a litre is manageable) and we'll get addicted to our motors once again,...but as soon as it breaches the above figure, we bus it again until they get the message Dan Saff...If that doesn't work there's always wine, £6.50 per 0.75 of a litre for my current favourite...Porta 6 it's delicious 👍

That's easy if you have public transport on your doorstep, many people in rural areas, me included, have no or virtually no bus service, over 5 miles to our nearest bus stop and only 3 buses a day, the car is absolutely vital for millions.

A fair point though if it's viable for you.

Edited by Dawnrazor

The Real Maroonblood
58 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

That's easy if you have public transport on your doorstep, many people in rural areas, me included, have no or virtually no bus service, over 5 miles to our nearest bus stop and only 3 buses a day, the car is absolutely vital for millions.

That's really crap.

Staying in Edinburgh I do take the buses for granted. 

18 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That's really crap.

Staying in Edinburgh I do take the buses for granted. 

We're really being hammered just now, my son is in and out of Lancaster, 35 minutes each way, Monday, Thurdayand Saturday for Jiu-Jitsu, Wednesday for Rugby League and an away game every other Sunday, this week we're away to a team in Liverpool, about an hour away, my wife can do the shopping while she's there so that's a trip saved. I know it's our choice to take him but he really loves his martial arts and rugby, he's a real social kid and he sees a lot of his mates at training and we don't want to stop that, a real catch 22 and is costing us a fortune just now.

I've an old pal who lives about four miles away, he's a big ornithologists and moth enthusiast and runs a moth trap for regional recording purposes in my yard, he's 70 now, just had a cataract operation, had a new knee two years ago, his whole life now is recording bird numbers for the BTO and moths for NE, his parner has glaucoma now and can't drive, they're totally reliant on their car, they now have the decision wheather to sell up and move to the town, he said he'd be dead within 12 months if this happens, it's heartbreaking to hear him talk like this but it's becoming a reality for many rural pensioners. People living in the countryside are and have been pretty much forgotten in many ways by successive governments.

Edited by Dawnrazor

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

We're really being hammered just now, my son is in and out on Lancaster Monday, Thurdayand Saturday for Jiu-Jitsu, Wednesday for Rugby League and an away game every other Sunday, this week we're away to a team in Liverpool, about an hour away, my wife can do the shopping while she's there so that's a trip saved. I know it's our choice to take him but he really loves his martial and rugby, he's a real social kid and he sees a lot of his mates at training and we don't want to stop that, a real catch 22.

I've an old pal who lives about fiur miles away, he's a big ornithologists and moth enthusiast and runs a moth trap for regional recording purposes in my yard, he's 70 now, just had a cataract operation, had a new knee two years ago, his whole life now is recording bird numbers for the BTO and moths for NE, his parner has glaucoma now and can't drive, they're totally reliant on their car, they now have the decision wheather to sell up and move to the town, he said he'd be dead within 12 months if this happens, it's heartbreaking to hear him talk like this but it's becoming a reality for many rural pensioners. People living in the countryside are and have been pretty much forgotten in many ways by successive governments.

There is no point in pussy footing about it, the type of guy your describing isn't a priority for either governments or opposition parties. 

Media focus is on Ukraine or Rwanda. No one gives a **** about normal folk who live every day lives.

He won't be unique. There will be thousands of like minded people, trying to live their lives without bothering anyone else, yet they'll get no help because it's not a 'cause celebre'.

Maybe they need some 3rd rate celebrity to get involved as that seems to attract attention.

I know it's not a positive response, I hope the old guy does whatever makes him happy, but I fear things will get worse before we get through this.

11 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

There is no point in pussy footing about it, the type of guy your describing isn't a priority for either governments or opposition parties. 

Media focus is on Ukraine or Rwanda. No one gives a **** about normal folk who live every day lives.

He won't be unique. There will be thousands of like minded people, trying to live their lives without bothering anyone else, yet they'll get no help because it's not a 'cause celebre'.

Maybe they need some 3rd rate celebrity to get involved as that seems to attract attention.

I know it's not a positive response, I hope the old guy does whatever makes him happy, but I fear things will get worse before we get through this.

Head / Nail / Interface.

It doesn't have to be a "positive response" because it's a very accurate response.

You're right about my old mate but younger rural families, like us, are in the same boat, I can never vote for Labour as they are a party for city's, they care not a jot for anyone in the countryside, if they had a serious policy for us I could easily vote for them, but don't and never will have in my opinion, I tend to vote for an Independent or a Conservative candidate, we never see a Labour MP or volunteer in any national or local elections, it's like we don't exist to them.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

We're really being hammered just now, my son is in and out of Lancaster, 35 minutes each way, Monday, Thurdayand Saturday for Jiu-Jitsu, Wednesday for Rugby League and an away game every other Sunday, this week we're away to a team in Liverpool, about an hour away, my wife can do the shopping while she's there so that's a trip saved. I know it's our choice to take him but he really loves his martial arts and rugby, he's a real social kid and he sees a lot of his mates at training and we don't want to stop that, a real catch 22 and is costing us a fortune just now.

I've an old pal who lives about four miles away, he's a big ornithologists and moth enthusiast and runs a moth trap for regional recording purposes in my yard, he's 70 now, just had a cataract operation, had a new knee two years ago, his whole life now is recording bird numbers for the BTO and moths for NE, his parner has glaucoma now and can't drive, they're totally reliant on their car, they now have the decision wheather to sell up and move to the town, he said he'd be dead within 12 months if this happens, it's heartbreaking to hear him talk like this but it's becoming a reality for many rural pensioners. People living in the countryside are and have been pretty much forgotten in many ways by successive governments.

It’ll be good if you can sustain the travelling for your son as it’s important to keep up his activities.

As for you pal and his wife it’s quite heartbreaking and unfortunately common in rural areas.

As you say successive governments have done very little.

On 14/06/2022 at 16:01, Gizmo said:

I don't have a problem paying extra tax on the proviso it helps people who need it by allowing a more progressive, fairer tax system. 

The record levels of taxation, including the NI rise enacted by a govt who were elected on a promise not to raise taxes, does not seem to attract the same opprobrium from those complaining about the Scottish tax rates. Or at least I haven't noticed a similar fervour. 

That was a new one for me, had to look it up. Nice word choice squire :thumb:

The Mighty Thor
On 14/06/2022 at 23:35, Malinga the Swinga said:

No problem with what your saying. I've already criticised Westminster. Sunak has lost his way and appears frightened to cut tax. We need tax cuts and economy is strong enough to do it. That's everywhere in UK.

All I'm saying is Scotland could lead the way, but they choose not to. 

Scotland does not control the all the fiscal levers that drive an economy. Which tears the arsehole out your strawman argument. 

You already know that. If you don't know that then perhaps it's best to pipe down. 

Jambo-Jimbo
14 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Indeed, there are comunities here in the Borders who don't have any bus service at all, have to travel miles on at best B roads sometimes C roads just to reach a main A road, can't get online food shopping delivered as they are so out of the way.  And these are not some isolated farm out in the middle of nowhere, these are small villages of 100-200 people.  It'll be the same where you are and many many other rural area's all over the country.

Their cars are virtually their only lifeline with the rest of the world.

12 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

People living in the countryside are and have been pretty much forgotten in many ways by successive governments.

:spoton: 

Whilst we see cities get new trams and trains and metro's etc etc, in the country we are lucky to see some of out potholes filled in.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Indeed, there are comunities here in the Borders who don't have any bus service at all, have to travel miles on at best B roads sometimes C roads just to reach a main A road, can't get online food shopping delivered as they are so out of the way.  And these are not some isolated farm out in the middle of nowhere, these are small villages of 100-200 people.  It'll be the same where you are and many many other rural area's all over the country.

Their cars are virtually their only lifeline with the rest of the world.

Whilst we see cities get new trams and trains and metro's etc etc, in the country we are lucky to see some of out potholes filled in.

This may sound trivial to some people but it’s quite important nowadays.

What is broadband coverage like where you are?

2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

We have some of the best broadband in the country, fibre optic straight into the living room, but, BT were not interested in getting broadband to us, the Labour MP wasn't interested, we couldn't even get dial up because the cables were so old, a company was set up by a few locals called B4RN (broadband for the rural north) all the fibre optic was bought and laid by ourselves, everyone pretty much has binned BT now, it was a very satisfying project but it shouldn't have come to that.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

We have some of the best broadband in the country, fibre optic straight into the living room, but, BT were not interested in getting broadband to us, the Labour MP wasn't interested, we couldn't even get dial up because the cables were so old, a company was set up by a few locals called B4RN (broadband for the rural north) all the fibre optic was bought and laid by ourselves, everyone pretty much has binned BT now, it was a very satisfying project but it shouldn't have come to that.

Well done.

I saw something similar on tv.

It was in Yorkshire that the locals did the same.

It’s the old story if you want something done then do it yourself.

Sadly it shouldn’t have come to that.

13 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

A small streach of road between the valley I live in with about 20 others ranging in age from 2 to 80, collapsed due to erosion down to the drains and gutters never being cleaned, this was in October 2020, the work to repair it hasn't even started yet, a 5 mile journey is now a 9 mile journey for all of us, we've had meetings initially but now we can't even get a reply from the MP.

Jambo-Jimbo
15 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Good as we have fibre, but that's only because BT choose Innerleithen as one of it's pilot area's a number of years ago when they were starting to roll out fibre broadband.  We'd probably still be on dial-up if not.

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Good as we have fibre, but that's only because BT choose Innerleithen as one of it's pilot area's a number of years ago when they were starting to roll out fibre broadband.  We'd probably still be on dial-up if not.

👍

manaliveits105

I was surprised to get a letter from British Gas telling me that my account was outstanding. It made my day as I don't often get a compliment like that.

Malinga the Swinga
4 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Scotland does not control the all the fiscal levers that drive an economy. Which tears the arsehole out your strawman argument. 

You already know that. If you don't know that then perhaps it's best to pipe down. 

Nope, you carry on blaming everything and everyone for Scotland's problems bar the Scottish government. ****s sake, no wonder country is a mess.

With the BofE base rate now increased to 1.25% as they try to ease inflation 

Can someone explain how this will ease inflation?

So mortgage payments rise will people not spend on food and fuel so will bring  down their prices? 

27 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

So mortgage payments rise will people not spend on food and fuel so will bring  down their prices? 

Essentially, yes.

You make borrowing cost more and encourage saving, both of which discourage spending, so prices drop to entice people to spend.

Of course, that also means less spending in total and can spark recession if done too ham-fistedly.

But the Uk is head into recession anyways.

Stagflation is a serious risk, where the economy is stagnant or in decline AND prices rise.

This means that interest rates become useless as an economic lever and the central bank/government has to think of something else.

Europe is trying to use bond yield changes instead, but again that will only go so far.

31 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Is it not 1.5? Anyway, yeh, thats the plan. Starve folk into bringing down inflation!

Be easier and quicker if we all just head to London, had a riot and got the guillotine oot!

Edited by Pans Jambo

Jambo-Jimbo

I can see interest rates having to rise much higher to try and combat inflation, and probably by more than 0.25% increments, such as we seen in the US yesterday when the federal reserve raised their rates by 0.75%.

As @Cadesaid you can only raise interest rates so far before other measures have to be tried, either way we are in for one hell of a bumpy ride over the next few years, it ain't gonna be pretty, that's for sure.

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Nope, you carry on blaming everything and everyone for Scotland's problems bar the Scottish government. ****s sake, no wonder country is a mess.

Again what tax cut could the SG provide that would combat the energy price rises alone never-ending the inflationary food price rises. 

You're beating on about tax cits by the SG with a childlike understanding of what that would do. Go look it up. Work it out. 

Edited by The Mighty Thor

WorldChampions1902

With Real Terms earnings falling at their fastest rate for 10 years, that will most certainly help ‘dampen’ inflation. Unfortunately, for most working people, that is a very painful experience. And with the BoE now uprating their inflation prediction to 11%+ by Autumn, things are gonna get a lot worse.

Time to batten down the hatches.

Edited by WorldChampions1902

Time to join my local community food garden project.  

Grow your own or starve(!)

Wonder how much wheat i can grow in my back green.

The Mighty Thor
15 minutes ago, Cade said:

Time to join my local community food garden project.  

Grow your own or starve(!)

Wonder how much wheat i can grow in my back green.

You better hope you can grow wheat and meat and veg and everything else......

jack D and coke
9 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It’s bizarre just how little people are aware of the levers the SG has to make a difference off a grant ie a set budget with some little room to alter income tax. 
We’ve already seen the tacks being spat all over the shop about that. 
Its “you have income tax powers” and “how dare you use income tax powers” at the same time 🤪😂

Not surprised about hearing people in full time employment having to use food banks. 

This is only going to get worse.

And what are the government doing about it ? **** all

WorldChampions1902
1 hour ago, GBJambo said:

Not surprised about hearing people in full time employment having to use food banks. 

This is only going to get worse.

And what are the government doing about it ? **** all

A Tory MP described the explosion in the number of food banks as a good thing.

joondalupjambo
6 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

A Tory MP described the explosion in the number of food banks as a good thing.

Control, another sector to spin the cash wheels in, keeps the them and us status alive, gives folk something to volunteer in to feel wanted, consulting opportunities as to why to should have them or not and report to public bodies creates another income flow.  Good for a lot of folk above and good for some folk below.

The Mighty Thor
4 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s bizarre just how little people are aware of the levers the SG has to make a difference off a grant ie a set budget with some little room to alter income tax. 
We’ve already seen the tacks being spat all over the shop about that. 
Its “you have income tax powers” and “how dare you use income tax powers” at the same time 🤪😂

Aye but you hate the English if you point out the S1 economic literacy. 

skinnybob72

Re petrol / diesel prices. 

If ALL motorists boycotted one particular garage chain - whether that is Shell, Esso, Tesco, Asda doesn’t matter - so that they sold zero fuel for 2 weeks, what would they do to entice people back? There’s surely only one option and that’s to reduce prices? 

Just now, skinnybob72 said:

If ALL motorists boycotted one particular garage chain - whether that is Shell, Esso, Tesco, Asda doesn’t matter - so that they sold zero fuel for 2 weeks, what would they do to entice people back? There’s surely only one option and that’s to reduce prices? 

Never happen. Have you seen the rip off prices at the motorway services?

You would imagine folk wouldnt go near them but there they are, filling up with £2.20 a litre fuel and buying £3 bottles of water. 

Idiots!!!

skinnybob72
1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

You would imagine folk wouldnt go near them but there they are, filling up with £2.20 a litre fuel and buying £3 bottles of water. 

Idiots!!!

I was down south at the weekend, stopped for a leak a couple of times and it was actually noticeable that M’Way services, while busy, had very few cars in getting fuel. Maybe £2+ a litre is a mental tipping point for people? 

9 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

Said it for a while now, if people could boycott getting fuel for a week it would have a huge impact on the fuel companies 

Malinga the Swinga
13 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Idiots!!!

Can't understand why anyone would use them for buying anything but fuel. Even then, only buy there if it's emergency. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Thats a fair hike in price

Screenshot_20220701_125239_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Saw that or similar on reddit. It's not standing charges either.

I'm wondering what type of bullshit algorithm they use to inflate our predicted charges, if it can multiply 0...