energy prices

Masonic

Psychedelicropcircle
13 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Looks totally unavoidable now, to be honest.

It’s very ****ing avoidable it’s just that the powers that be have a market led policy. 

it really is time all the poor started voting.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Three west London boroughs ban new homebuilding because the local electricity grid can't support any more demand.

Full capacity reached.

EDF (about to be nationalised by the French government) posts another huge loss; €5.3 billion in the first half of this year.

About half of their nuclear reactors are offline for upgrades and maintenance, halving their income and soaring their expenses.

However, their UK arm made profits of €860million over the same period.

Dystopian stuff.  People being put through the wringer to extract the maximum yield.  The very few permitted to continue the grand larceny by a sociopathic system.

But,  but,  investment in renewables innit.  Shut your ****ing face you pleb rats and keep paying up.

hmfc_liam06

The 78% increase will see me go up £125 per month.

I don't even think I have enough cancellable luxuries (Netflix, Prime etc) to make up that shortfall. Some folk, a lot of folk, are going to be seriously ****ed come October.

Jambo-Jimbo
29 minutes ago, Cade said:

Three west London boroughs ban new homebuilding because the local electricity grid can't support any more demand.

Full capacity reached.

EDF (about to be nationalised by the French government) posts another huge loss; €5.3 billion in the first half of this year.

About half of their nuclear reactors are offline for upgrades and maintenance, halving their income and soaring their expenses.

However, their UK arm made profits of €860million over the same period.

Reporting Scotland the other night was on about a number of homes in Orkney, including a new affordable social housing development, not being finished because none of the energy suppliers will fit an electricy meter in the properties, seemingly they don't want any more customers, I'd wager this is probably quite widespread up and down the country, it's only in the media now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-62305930

Unknown user

As the energy price cap looks like going up to over £3500 per year in a couple of months, a timely reminder that a year's Universal Credit is £4018.

People will be expected to feed and clothe themselves, and pay their bills from the remaining £42 a month.

This is going to turn ugly.

Edited by Smithee

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

As the energy price cap looks like going up to over £3500 per year in a couple of months, a timely reminder that a year's Universal Credit is £4018.

People will be expected to feed and clothe themselves, and pay their bills from the remaining £42 a month.

This is going to turn ugly.

They should just not have a phone or television.  Job done.

The Mighty Thor

And yet the British public are more concerned about which vacuous arsehole will win the 'big competition' to be head liar in the Junta 

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

And yet the British public are more concerned about which vacuous arsehole will win the 'big competition' to be head liar in the Junta 

Well,  it is relevant.  One of them is in it with the peasants due to having £4.50 earrings.  

In September last year i unknowingly signed up for fixed term electric deal. Thought it expires this September only to find it’s until next September. Massive result as my bills in summer are about £50 and 120 in winter. 

Lone Striker

There was somebody on the radio the other day with expertise in the gas "market" - he reckons there's a very real prospect of  power cuts this winter due to the need to ration the supplies.  Apparently the UK's gas  storage "warehouse"  capacity is  below what it would normally be at this point of the year.   All due to the sanctions the West imposed on Russia .... which in turn is all due to the West's reliance on Russia for most of its gas.   The chap did say however that the good ol' USA are doing their bit as our ally by sending shipments of  gas to the UK ........ but this seems to be a recipe for profiteering by importers and everyone along the supply chain.

Lone Striker
4 hours ago, Taffin said:

Is that Gross or Net?

Either way, it's out of hand.

On the plus side (scraping the barrel admittedly), I've recently discovered Primark when buying shorts for my holidays this year and I'll be buying some jumpers for winter too!

Holidays you say ?   Plenty scope for you to cut back then  as inflation continues to  bite.  😎

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

They should just not have a phone or television.  Job done.

Even if the poor sods were left with just a packing box to sit on, the tory *******s would tell them to chop it up for firewood. 

26 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

There was somebody on the radio the other day with expertise in the gas "market" - he reckons there's a very real prospect of  power cuts this winter due to the need to ration the supplies.  Apparently the UK's gas  storage "warehouse"  capacity is  below what it would normally be at this point of the year.   All due to the sanctions the West imposed on Russia .... which in turn is all due to the West's reliance on Russia for most of its gas.   The chap did say however that the good ol' USA are doing their bit as our ally by sending shipments of  gas to the UK ........ but this seems to be a recipe for profiteering by importers and everyone along the supply chain.

Actually,  gas storage has been neglected in the UK for years.  But I'm sure there is no shortage of people who are trying to spin it off as being due to the current situation re Russia.  

Edited by Victorian

14 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Even if the poor sods were left with just a packing box to sit on, the tory *******s would tell them to chop it up for firewood. 

Something to park your arse on?  Ok... erm... that puts you above the savings limit to be eligible to claim UC madam.  Try a foodbank aye?

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Was reading a bit about Germany. Due to their realisemce on those pesky Russian gas they are already taking steps. Things like public pool not be heated/turned off, traffic lights turned off at certain times, reduced street lighting levels. 

This is truly mental times tbh. Really demonstrates the problems wars brings, outside the obvious horrors. 

@smithee, do people, at lower end, get assistance for their energy bills as a matter of course or is just essentially the schemes brought recently. I assume you get nada. 

The govt better of a plan for this outside of a VAT and green tax removal. They don’t get this right it could really feed inflation which would make things much much worse. Never mind the sheer carnage it’s going to cause to people lives. 

Certainly feels like our winter of discontent is coming. Everything about this feels horrid. 

One winter might be just about bearable for some.  Some others are already running on fumes.  The real carnage will be if it goes on in a similar manner throughout another year and into another winter.  

A kind of compound inflation.  It worries some of the economy boffins.

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

@smithee, do people, at lower end, get assistance for their energy bills as a matter of course or is just essentially the schemes brought recently. I assume you get nada. 

You assume correctly

46 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

In September last year i unknowingly signed up for fixed term electric deal. Thought it expires this September only to find it’s until next September. Massive result as my bills in summer are about £50 and 120 in winter. 

No mention of gas bill, you should've made an arse of that also or don't you have any gas appliances?...😉 

32 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Holidays you say ?   Plenty scope for you to cut back then  as inflation continues to  bite.  😎

All already budgeted for in 2020 and 2021 when they were supposed to be...but yes plenty of scope. I'd rather just use less fuel and wear more though. It's only really the last couple of years I've loosened the purse strings for heating anyway 😂😂

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Not good. 

No, it's really pretty scary. There has to be a reaction to this, people don't like having no hope, no food, no heating.

This country pretends to care about mental health, but think of what's going through the minds of those on UC just now, before it even really kicks off.

It's already an utter pittance. Government should be sticking up for these people, not sticking it into them. Who's got their back? Who's going on strike for them?

Bad times ahead.

Harry Potter
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The 78% increase will see me go up £125 per month.

I don't even think I have enough cancellable luxuries (Netflix, Prime etc) to make up that shortfall. Some folk, a lot of folk, are going to be seriously ****ed come October.

im sure loads are already toiling, the prices are disgusting,

Jambo-Jimbo
55 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Actually,  gas storage has been neglected in the UK for years.  But I'm sure there is no shortage of people who are trying to spin it off as being due to the current situation re Russia.  

There was a poster who worked in this field and I'm sure they said that the last major gas storage tanks were decommisioned in 2017 (or there abouts), meaning the UK hasn't had gas storage in any meaningful sense of more than a few days for around about the last 5 years.

Power cuts, it was revealed the other day, that the national grid had to buy electricity from Belgium at 5000% more than the normal price last week, otherwise London or parts of it would have been cut off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62296443

34 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I think your dystopian comment above was fairly accurate. This isn’t ending very soon either, I have real concerns this won’t be so much like the 70’s but more akin to the 30’s (not in causes). 

I really struggle to see much improvement until the Ukraine situation gets sorted. 

There are certain things the govt could do to help the situation out around inflation, that should be there number 1 priority. It’s frightening the lack of activity from the govt on this matter. 

Im not into politics all that much but I’m genuinely having nightmares at prospect of Truss being elected. It’s like Bart Simpson running the economy ‘it wasn’t me’

I try not to be hyperbolic but this is uglier than anything I’d ever think I see. 

Not good. 

The lack of will to stick to truly and genuinely targeted support measures is disgusting.  Some of the measures already done or being proposed do help the poor but they also help the more wealthy.  Every support policy pound should be targeted at the worst off.  

We've all just seen a £27 monthly cut in our NIC.  How many were relying on it?

4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

There was a poster who worked in this field and I'm sure they said that the last major gas storage tanks were decommisioned in 2017 (or there abouts), meaning the UK hasn't had gas storage in any meaningful sense of more than a few days for around about the last 5 years.

Power cuts, it was revealed the other day, that the national grid had to buy electricity from Belgium at 5000% more than the normal price last week, otherwise London or parts of it would have been cut off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62296443

Yep.  **** all to do with unforseen economic wars with Russia.

Unknown user
10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

And what use is it to the poorest on benefits?

Genuine worst ****s running the country just now.

Just now, Smithee said:

And what use is it to the poorest on benefits?

Genuine worst ****s running the country just now.

Exactly.  There is too much being given to people who can make adjustments and who will muddle by.  Not enough to those who already can't meet their bills.  It's absurd.

Ainsley Harriott
17 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The lack of will to stick to truly and genuinely targeted support measures is disgusting.  Some of the measures already done or being proposed do help the poor but they also help the more wealthy.  Every support policy pound should be targeted at the worst off.  

Lots of us had our NI increase this year perhaps in the interest of fairness the Scottish government could move the 40% tax bracket to be in line with the rest of the UK? I've said from the start any help with fuel bills should be the same for everyone or nothing. Always the way that those who contribute the most get **** all back.

Ainsley Harriott
5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Exactly.  There is too much being given to people who can make adjustments and who will muddle by.  Not enough to those who already can't meet their bills.  It's absurd.

Aye folk that work hard in likely high pressure jobs forced to muddle by. Seems fair 

No windfall taxes according to Truss,  despite headline profits and,  importantly,  share dividends.

Which one of these people will have the courage to tell the truth about it?  That pension funds are being insulated ahead of people eating.  

It's no bad thing to look after the health of pension funds.  It's pretty important.  But guess who's forced to go without.  

2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

There has also been many more and longer TAR's this year than usual. Most the platforms put off maintenance (that could be put off)  during covid and last year and this have seen much larger stoppages in production.

1 hour ago, OBE said:

No mention of gas bill, you should've made an arse of that also or don't you have any gas appliances?...😉 

Don’t have gas. Have oil heating which has gone up but not overly reliant on that. Oil for our heating but we also have a wood burning stove which is very effective. Endless supply of free wood in shetland so I’m currently cutting loads of it to get us thru the winter 

1 minute ago, jamboy1982 said:

Don’t have gas. Have oil heating which has gone up but not overly reliant on that. Oil for our heating but we also have a wood burning stove which is very effective. Endless supply of free wood in shetland so I’m currently cutting loads of it to get us thru the winter 

Similar, two stoves, one in the kitchen / dining room and one in the living room, I'm lucky to have pretty much a constant supply of pallets and old fencing posts and strainers to keep us going, buy maybe half a ton of smokeless coal just to supplement the wood. We're on a spring fed water supply so no water rates which us a bonus.

14 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

Good for you. Free wood? Drift, crates, pallets?

1 hour ago, OBE said:

Good for you. Free wood? Drift, crates, pallets?

Anything that’s going really. Pallets and there’s builders yard just down the road. I chuck them a crate of tennents once a year at Christmas and I can help myself. They have tonnes of offcuts 

Jambo-Jimbo

If anybody fancy's some free wood, I've got some trees that I'd like cut down.

Probably better to do it when the neighbours are out though, as I'm not sure they'll be that overjoyed about somebody cutting their trees down. :laugh:

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Probably better to do it when the neighbours are out though, as I'm not sure they'll be that overjoyed about somebody cutting their trees down. :laugh:

Copper nails when they're not looking👍

Shooter McGavin

The owners of British Gas, Centrica, have just increased their profits fivefold, and energy prices are still rising.

There is no justifying that at all. It’s pure greed, they can stop this all in a heartbeat, but it’s easier for them to point the finger at Russia.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

My neighbour did that in Holland. We'd just bought the house and it had a tree that they'd been fighting over with the people that lived there before over the shadow it threw.

While we were out at work they cut it down! We weren't chuffed but at the same time nothing was going to bring it back, plus we were new in town so we let it go. Ffs though.

27 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

The owners of British Gas, Centrica, have just increased their profits fivefold, and energy prices are still rising.

There is no justifying that at all. It’s pure greed, they can stop this all in a heartbeat, but it’s easier for them to point the finger at Russia.

That’s exactly what they’ll do.

They are a business though, as one of the heads said today, and look after their shareholders. Unpalatable but at least they’re honest. Unlike the law makers !

This is how Neoliberalism works:

Take private control of a national strategic asset (shipbuilding, steel, power, telecoms, defence, rail, roads, schools, prisons etc etc etc)

Cut the standards of the service you provide in order to maximise profits.

Cut half the staff and don't replace them.

Cut another quarter of the staff and replace them with temps on min wage.

Pay your executives and shareholders as much as you possibly can, even when running at a nominal loss.

Hide all the money offshore.

When there is nothing left to steal and the business goes bust, go cap in hand to the Government for a bail out, who will do so, as your product is a national strategic asset.

Rinse, repeat.

The Mighty Thor

Ex MD of utilita on Sky looking for energy companies to get support rather than taxing the living shit out of the companies ripping the pish. 

He reckons the free market economy has delivered lots of benefits. Aye mate, to shareholders. 

14 minutes ago, Cade said:

This is how Neoliberalism works:

Take private control of a national strategic asset (shipbuilding, steel, power, telecoms, defence, rail, roads, schools, prisons etc etc etc)

Cut the standards of the service you provide in order to maximise profits.

Cut half the staff and don't replace them.

Cut another quarter of the staff and replace them with temps on min wage.

Pay your executives and shareholders as much as you possibly can, even when running at a nominal loss.

Hide all the money offshore.

When there is nothing left to steal and the business goes bust, go cap in hand to the Government for a bail out, who will do so, as your product is a national strategic asset.

Rinse, repeat.

They (Centrica) certainly laid it on thick about these profits being generated from 'upstream' business and that the 'downstream' business is something they're doing out of the goodness of the heart.  Loss making.  Profits not coming directly from customers.

Yeah.  That's what you pay good accountants for.  

Edited by Victorian

Energy prices rising by 75% in October and will rise again in January 

Blatant profiteering by the energy company’s and yet the government stand by and do nothing 

About time people stood up to this and refused to pay these ridiculous prices 

ArcticJambo

Think it was £1.75 for unleaded at the Bypass service station, Haddington ... cheapest I've seen on my travels this week.  Edinburgh, generally speaking seems expensive by comparison with outlying areas where you'd expect it to be more (exceptions aside).

ArcticJambo
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Wouldn't be using that town as a marker. Haddington is that far behind the times they are still waiting for the first wave of Covid to hit. 

haha, but they seem to be ahead ... tbf they're always busy so perhaps they're rewarding their loyal customers. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

profits are also put into the infrastructure by the way.  They have shareholders etc but regrading and upgrading the infrastructure is huge.

Well that's a load of balls.

Infrastructure is an operating cost, taken before profits.

See EDF.

They're posting losses because they're investing so much in infrastructure. Half of their nuclear stations are offline undergoing upgrades and maintenance.

Shell are using the profits to buy back shares, which is simply giving even more money to their shareholders.

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

profits are also put into the infrastructure by the way.  They have shareholders etc but regrading and upgrading the infrastructure is huge.

The infrastructure costs are usually built into the standing charge. My electricity standing charge went up by 114% when I came off my fixed term contract in May, while my gas standing charge only went up by 18%. I haven't a clue why, as my supplier hasn't offered any explanation.