Neilson ( merged )

jamborich

13 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Here is the reality. Hearts will never, I repeat, never, play the OF of the park in a one sided fixture, it's just never going to happen. 

But... 

We have competed with Rangers and Celtic in every game this season and we deserved more than we got in some of the games against them. 

We are also 10 points ahead of Motherwell in 3rd. It shows we are significantly better than the rest. 

We have done incredibly well to go from Championship winners to best of the rest.

We're not far off the OF clubs, we just need a wee bit more quality and game management. With the money we could receive, I think we can move to the next level next season and get closer to them. 

There is very little to be negative about, we are in a fantastic place on and off the field. It looks like we could achieve more now than anytime in my lifetime. I say that because our future is secure. Our financial situation is getting even stronger. We have the basis of a great squad, recruitment and management team. We have also made changes to improve the Academy.

This decade looks very promising for us. 👍

Brilliant post it can be done mate but it ain't gonna happen overnight and unlike the Leicester fairytale scenario we have officials up hear to make sure this will never happen

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Watt-Zeefuik

4 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

People get hung up on Leicester but there are plenty of other examples, albeit some not as recently, such as Valencia and Atletico Madrid in Spain, Lille in France, Wolfsburg in Germany, AZ and Twente in the Netherlands, and so forth.

Big resource gaps are the norm in football, but in most leagues a smaller club breaks through every decade or so.

Which of these clubs compare favourably to Hearts? 

11 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I agree, I think celtic and rangers are better than ten years ago. 

Rangers are definitely better. 

Some Folk are performing fantastic mental gymnastics to have a go at him. 

Bob is in these folks heads and they can't enjoy Hearts because they want Bob to fail. 

It's actually turning out to be quite an amusing side effect of Hearts doing well under Bob

-Leicesta won da leeg about 6 years ago so Hertz should be beating the of, Ken like say.

Cracking stuff. Keep it up. It's amusing. 

Yes. It is highly amusing. We literally couldn't get a touch of the ball as Celtic popped it around us. Bobs fault ....

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, andi17 said:

Brilliant post it can be done mate but it ain't gonna happen overnight and unlike the Leicester fairytale scenario we have officials up hear to make sure this will never happen

Unlike Leicester , the of aren't going to **** up as much as spurs, Chelsea, City, arsenal, man Utd etc did either. 

The simply won't drop points like these teams did  for a various reasons. 

It's a ridiculous comparison. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Which of these clubs compare favourably to Hearts? 

Yes. It is highly amusing. We literally couldn't get a touch of the ball as Celtic popped it around us. Bobs fault ....

FWIW I'm not in the "Neilson do better" brigade. The gap is huge and the fact that sometimes we do in fact play them close and win seems to turn into the assumption that if we just "have a go" or "be brave" or whatever we'll take 12 points off of both the uglies every season. Robbie's OF record is pretty sound considering.

I think the revenue gap between Valencia and Barça/Real is akin to the gap between Hearts and the OF.

AZ is probably closer to a like-for-like comparison with Hearts.

Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

Unlike Leicester , the of aren't going to **** up as much as spurs, Chelsea, City, arsenal, man Utd etc did either. 

Aye ok then i think your missing my point but you carry on

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

FWIW I'm not in the "Neilson do better" brigade. The gap is huge and the fact that sometimes we do in fact play them close and win seems to turn into the assumption that if we just "have a go" or "be brave" or whatever we'll take 12 points off of both the uglies every season. Robbie's OF record is pretty sound considering.

I think the revenue gap between Valencia and Barça/Real is akin to the gap between Hearts and the OF.

We'd need to be in European football most seasons for even that comparison to be a realistic one. 

We aren't even there yet. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, andi17 said:

Aye ok then i think your missing my point but you carry on

Your point is nonsense as is the other  posters on here demanding things that are no way realistic. 

Basically grown men in the huff. 

Unlike leciester, the of aren't going to **** up as much as spurs, Chelsea, City, arsenal, man Utd etc did either. 

There have been a few recent years, particularly during the Deila period at Celtic, where it seemed like if we'd been less of a recovering basket case, we could have given them a real run.

Looking at that 2015/16 Celtic team, aside from noting have two current players from their squad (Gordon and GMS), imagine the current squad, or better yet the current squad plus another Summer Savage window, going against Ambrose, Izaguirre, Stokes, Griffiths, and Ciftci in Deila's weird lineups.

3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

We'd need to be in European football most seasons for even that comparison to be a realistic one. 

We aren't even there yet. 

I was not comparing relative success. I was discussing baseline resources.

But yes, success in Europe is undoubtedly the next stepping stone.

Your point is nonsense as is the other  posters on here demanding things that are no way realistic. 

Basically grown men in the huff. 

Yea of course i am wow what a weirdo

9 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Valencia, Lille and Atletico Madrid etc all have access to UEFA competition money. We have only made the Europa League group stages once. I would say the gap in Scotland is almost insurmountable. The Dutch example's probably offer the greatest hope.

13 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Leicester spent half a billion quid and pay massive wages.

Thought that was worth mentioning.

Also they caught all the big guns in a massive transitional period, iirc Spurs were the team chasing them for the title. We’d need both Celtic and Rangers to be a mess and say Hibs and Aberdeen to be as average as the rest. The Leicester league win really was the aligning of the stars. Not taking anything away from such a monumental achievement but it’s unlikely to happen again for a long time.

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I was not comparing relative success. I was discussing baseline resources.

But yes, success in Europe is undoubtedly the next stepping stone.

So was I. 

If we were in European competition and group stages year in year out and we're in about 3rd or 4th every season, then your example is the best. 

Feynoord winning the league recently as well. 

The reality is we've been shit for every season apart from 1 in the last decade. 

We need to get 3rd/4th consistently first, then like we agree- European football. 

We're not even there yet. 

...... as a 65yo supporter, thanks, RN/AB/FoH...... I have enjoyed every game this season and the attendances/atmosphere  at Tynecastle! Not always been this way and anyone my age knows what I mean!  However, we usually beat the H1b5. 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It’s all about belief, I believe. 

What happens if the celtic and rangers players believe as well! 

🤷‍♂️

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

The better the players the easier the job. 

What happens if the better players of another team believe as well?

57 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Is there honestly Hearts fans in a “Neilson do better” brigade? I wanted him out after Brora but he has quite simply done a fantastic job this season, obviously Joe Savage’s role has played a major part in that. 

37 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

So was I. 

If we were in European competition and group stages year in year out and we're in about 3rd or 4th every season, then your example is the best. 

Feynoord winning the league recently as well. 

The reality is we've been shit for every season apart from 1 in the last decade. 

We need to get 3rd/4th consistently first, then like we agree- European football. 

We're not even there yet. 

We've won the Championship twice; Scottish Cup once, finished 3rd and are on track for another 3rd plane finish just now. I'd say that's 5 good seasons out of 10?

Jeffros Furios
57 minutes ago, andi17 said:

Yea of course i am wow what a weirdo

The boot chap is Hibs , he's best ignored .

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

But are they?

The fact that one of them is taking one of our best players from us answers that. 

8 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

The fact that one of them is taking one of our best players from us answers that. 

So they will have one come the summer. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, jr ewing said:

So they will have one come the summer. 

Aye, that will be thier first for while. 

👍

2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We've won the Championship twice; Scottish Cup once, finished 3rd and are on track for another 3rd plane finish just now. I'd say that's 5 good seasons out of 10?

Your wasting your time trying to explain mate

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

You've missed the post conversation and lost the context. 

The post  was in comparison to AZ, how they've been in about the top of the Dutch league and us challenging the of. 

2 demotions/ relegations and subsequent promotions are not  good seasons or a platform from which to challenge the of. 

Finishing 3rd/4th regularly and being in Europe would imo make the AZ comparison more fair. 

We're no where near that consistency in our own league never mind in Europe. 

4 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

You go on about gaps. Valencia still have the money to buy top class football players. And so do AZ. If Hearts could buy the same quality as Valencia we'd be in the champions league.

2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

You've missed the post conversation and lost the context. 

The post  was in comparison to AZ, how they've been in about the top of the Dutch league and us challenging the of. 

2 demotions/ relegations and subsequent promotions are not  good seasons or a platform from which to challenge the of. 

Finishing 3rd/4th regularly and being in Europe would imo make the AZ comparison more fair. 

We're no where near that consistency in our own league never mind in Europe. 

You are delusional Leicester proved it can be done if we continue with your attitude we are fecked 13 thousand season ticket holders want to believe we can take them on the only way we can win the league is to believe, this shit about budgets and better players is wrong if you have that attitude then what's the point. There's 24 points to be won against the old firm beat them we give ourselves a chance Neilson's first half tactics against Celtic was imo wrong 

13 minutes ago, jamborich said:

You are delusional Leicester proved it can be done if we continue with your attitude we are fecked 13 thousand season ticket holders want to believe we can take them on the only way we can win the league is to believe, this shit about budgets and better players is wrong if you have that attitude then what's the point. There's 24 points to be won against the old firm beat them we give ourselves a chance Neilson's first half tactics against Celtic was imo wrong 

You are having a complete 'mare.

Continuing all night to post the same fairytale nonsense is desparate while ignoring the glaring gaps in your logic that many people have clearly identified.

7 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Compared to Manchester United, Manchester City, liverpool and Chelsea get real

Thought that was worth mentioning 

8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You are having a complete 'mare.

Continuing all night to post the same fairytale nonsense is desparate while ignoring the glaring gaps in your logic that many people have clearly identified.

Lol seriously which part is fairytale 

30 minutes ago, jamborich said:

That wishful thinking posters on a football forum 'believing' will lead to winning the league?

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

We've won the Championship twice; Scottish Cup once, finished 3rd and are on track for another 3rd plane finish just now. I'd say that's 5 good seasons out of 10?

Freudian slip 😜

Pasquale for King

We are moving in the right direction to challenge, we need to win more games on the road against the dross we will face on Tuesday. 
It’s a shame because we’ve been telling the naysayers and happy clappers all season that the uglies are there for the taking, but we’re just not quite ready to sustain a challenge. Rangers are ten points worse off and Celtic despite spending millions have around the same points as they had under Lennon apparently. 
The CL money will hopefully be wasted by whoever gets it, hopefully the zombies as they have debts to pay. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

10 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Was £45m on Tielemans? And Valencia, did they not spend about £25m for Negredo not that long in the past. Aye, Hearts are very similar to these teams. :D

Edited by ri Alban

3 hours ago, jamborich said:

It's not even the same. Leicester can afford the best. It's just the very best go to Liverpool, Man city and Real Madrid. We can't compete for the the best available who'd play in Scotland, it's not financially available.

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, jamborich said:

Nonsense, what happens if the OF players have the "attitude" as well? 

Or Aberdeen, Hibs, Motherwell players for that matter. 

It takes a lot more than attitude. 

It's not a  "step up" film. 

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

We are moving in the right direction to challenge, we need to win more games on the road against the dross we will face on Tuesday. 
It’s a shame because we’ve been telling the naysayers and happy clappers all season that the uglies are there for the taking, but we’re just not quite ready to sustain a challenge. Rangers are ten points worse off and Celtic despite spending millions have around the same points as they had under Lennon apparently. 
The CL money will hopefully be wasted by whoever gets it, hopefully the zombies as they have debts to pay. 

Your comparing rangers to an unbeaten season, they have lost 1 game and are on for 90 plus points. 

Celtic had a bad start but then improved, 12 wins  out of 13 games or some shite like that. 

This "the of are vulnerable or there for the taking" needs to be put to bed, they'll both be on about 90 points and win around 75% of their games. 

We've never been close to that.

Many thought we'd struggle for top 6 before the season started, suddenly the of are vulnerable and if we believe we can win the league. 

It's beyond fantasy stuff. 

We take care of the games you mention, get 3rd we're on the right track. 

Challenging the of is a, bit away yet and that's if it every happens. 

Of we have 2 or 3 good seasons, depressingly our team wil be ripped apart and we'll be rebuilding again. 

10 hours ago, jamborich said:

The gap was still far smaller than us to Celtic or Rangers. 

Your point about attitiude and belief. Motherwell displayed belief, dogged determination and fight against us on Saturday. Guess what? It counted for nowt. Perhaps they simply didn't believe enough, right?

16 hours ago, ri Alban said:

You go on about gaps. Valencia still have the money to buy top class football players. And so do AZ. If Hearts could buy the same quality as Valencia we'd be in the champions league.

It's about the proportion of the gap to the leaders. If Valencia somehow played in the same league as Celtic and Rangers but had the same TV and extra income as they do in La Liga, they'd be winning the league most years.

To put it in silly mathematical terms, it's about the ratio. (Celtic+Rangers)/Hearts approximately equals (Barca+Real)/Valencia.

If this is a bridge too far, as mentioned before, AZ are about the same size as Hearts, and Ajax are about the same size as Celtic. It's possible to win the title but no AZ fan can expect them to go toe-to-toe with Ajax every game, every time.

Regardless, these mid-sized clubs winning their leagues built that squad over several years before their magical runs. We are two years into a rebuild job, the first year of which had extremely restricted crowds, restricted revenue, and the difficulty of recruiting players to play in the Championship for a season.  These examples show that there's hope, but not, as some of Robbie's critics insist, if we just "show belief" and "get intae them" or "get the tactics right." This season against Celtic in the league, we have a win and two games where except for a terrible offside call and a missed penalty, we could have gotten a result. That's not bad at all.

21 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

There have been a few recent years, particularly during the Deila period at Celtic, where it seemed like if we'd been less of a recovering basket case, we could have given them a real run.

Looking at that 2015/16 Celtic team, aside from noting have two current players from their squad (Gordon and GMS), imagine the current squad, or better yet the current squad plus another Summer Savage window, going against Ambrose, Izaguirre, Stokes, Griffiths, and Ciftci in Deila's weird lineups.

Reckon you are being hard on Deila. Compared to every other Celtic manager since Billy McNeil he was given sod all to spend and very little to work with. Aberdeen couldn't even get close -17pts in 2014/15, ICT third; -15 the next season with us in third as a promoted team then after the next manager replaced him and was given money Aberdeen were -30 in 2016/17...

The guy did what few Celtic managers have done and brought through several young players too...

14 hours ago, jamborich said:

No one in Scottish football will ever do what Leicester done. 

A club like ours should not be looking for a one off, anomaly, season. We should be looking to build our challenge. That means consolidating our position as the 'best of the rest', having runs in Europe, investing wisely, improving our squad and our revenue. We should be working towards challenging the OF but should not be looking for a fluke, it should built on a solid base to continue it consistently and that's only going to happen with time.

23 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

No one in Scottish football will ever do what Leicester done. 

A club like ours should not be looking for a one off, anomaly, season. We should be looking to build our challenge. That means consolidating our position as the 'best of the rest', having runs in Europe, investing wisely, improving our squad and our revenue. We should be working towards challenging the OF but should not be looking for a fluke, it should built on a solid base to continue it consistently and that's only going to happen with time.

Finding a way to undo the damage of the Bosman ruling is what we need. At the moment the OF merrily dismantle any team which tries to compete with them and even worse seem to have contacts at foreign clubs who are willing to get involved in this ploy...

3 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Reckon you are being hard on Deila. Compared to every other Celtic manager since Billy McNeil he was given sod all to spend and very little to work with. Aberdeen couldn't even get close -17pts in 2014/15, ICT third; -15 the next season with us in third as a promoted team then after the next manager replaced him and was given money Aberdeen were -30 in 2016/17...

The guy did what few Celtic managers have done and brought through several young players too...

That's fair about Deila I suppose. I suppose the greater point is that 15/16 team was a significantly worse Celtic team than the present one, and one that I think our current squad could go toe-to-toe with.

Obvious rejoinder to that being that Celtic didn't spend money then because they didn't need to. If we were threatening them, they would have signed a lot more.

• davemclaren changed the title to Neilson ( merged )