Neilson ( merged )

jamborich

KyleLafferty

Worst thing you can do is start to rest players, our strongest team should start every game. Players need to play consistently to keep ticking over. Keep the momentum going and keep getting 90 mins in the first 11-14 legs.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Watt-Zeefuik

4 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Folk might mock but we can’t be complacent with Robbie. I’d imagine most Hearts fans will be of the view that no other club would be interested in Robbie. 

That simply can’t be true.

For the type of team, squad building and progress we want management stability is even more important than squad stability.

I’d imagine Robbie arrived to a fairly modest contract value given the circumstances when he arrived. 

In a few more games if not already he’ll have earned a new deal IMO.

Contract upgrade hopefully imminent otherwise we could lose him again. 

Guest ToqueJambo
15 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Hate to be pedantic but you can’t have more than 1 “strongest 11” the definition of the word tells you that.

That said, the last thing we want to be doing here is handing Hibs a morale boosting win by playing a weakened team at Tynecastle the week before the semi when what we should be doing is laying down a marker and putting all the problems in their camp to work on.

By all means if we put it to bed quick enough, take the key players off, without letting them back in to the game of course but to me, anything other than the strongest (and fittest)11 available and a right good determined go at beating them well, isn’t really acceptable. Anyone with a niggle shouldnt start but that’s the only pre-caution I want to see.

Strongest line-up often differs according to the opposition although I prefer to keep a winning team together personally. There's no point having a high quality squad if you don't rotate it strategically. All the better teams do it. Depending on how the league games go before then, I'm sure the cup game will factor into some of the thinking for the league game.

Guest ToqueJambo
15 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

i expected that we would compete very closely if not beat rangers if they performed (we were only relegated due to the 15 point deduction and had significantly improved the team / squad)

by any measure rangers significantly underperformed so I expected to win the league - our points total was impressive but incidental

the following season I expected to finish above st Johnstone and ross county and reckon we were actually better than Aberdeen so could have finished second

so no he didn’t take us further than I expected

he didn’t underperform either which plenty do so that’s not to be ignored

he is again performing to my expectations and not underperforming the latter again not to be ignored

unfortunately early on he announced we were going to change the way we approach derby matches - why you would do that at a team who possibly has one of the best derby records in world football is a bit strange - guessing he wanted to out-think them rather than out-fight them :(

upshot being he gifted them their holy-grail (the equivalent of us with loftier hopes of winning the league) and then brushed it off afterwards 

he’ll never win back a section of the support after that (unless he wins the league) (maybe some might forgive him on the back of something extra ordinary in Europe)

if he keeps not-underperforming as he is now that will be enough to keep enough fans and the board onside until Swindon town come calling for him to jump ship to restart his journey to the epl            

:)

I put £50 on us winning the league in Robbie's first season but certainly didn't expect us to win it and definitely didn't;t expect us to win it so comfortably and in such style. One of the top goalscorers in Europe that season were we?

Watt-Zeefuik
10 hours ago, Skacelsid said:

We must take care of league business first, get into a winning position in the Derby game and use all subs would be the best scenario. Both clubs are liable to have injuries before Hampden, that is football. What good would fielding a "second" eleven and potentially losing do. Having a strong squad means that we do not really know the first choice eleven anyway, and we all have different opinions. As they say one game at a time, and we have a difficult enough game on Saturday, that is all players and staff will be focusing on, keep the winning habit.

3 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

Worst thing you can do is start to rest players, our strongest team should start every game. Players need to play consistently to keep ticking over. Keep the momentum going and keep getting 90 mins in the first 11-14 legs.

Respectfully disagree with these. League business is taken care of. While 60 points is a nice threshold to look to the reality is that 55 is probably more than any of the chasers can manage. Two draws against Livi and Hibs and a win over RC would mean that they would need 18 points from their other 7 remaining games to catch us even if we got zero points after the split.

We have 5 subs every match. Not one of our best 12-13 players should play the full 90 in every remaining game. None of them should go weeks without playing either, but there's plenty of squad time to go around.

On 17/03/2022 at 12:47, EH11 2NL said:

That's a fair enough opinion. But let's look at the alternative. What happens if he becomes the first Hearts manager to beat them at Hampden twice? And the second man, along with Gordon, to be involved in us beating them three times at Hampden? Will he get the credit due? 

He will get the H1b5 monkey off his back and will prove that he can get results when it matters.  I expect we will win the game and he should be praised if we do. 

16 minutes ago, McCrae said:

He will get the H1b5 monkey off his back and will prove that he can get results when it matters.  I expect we will win the game and he should be praised if we do. 

I agree his derby record is pretty poor for a Hearts manager. But why is this game the marker? He's already dumped them out of a semi final and hasn't lost to them since, that game arguably a bigger achievement than doing it this time around given we are now the favourites. 

33 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

I agree his derby record is pretty poor for a Hearts manager. But why is this game the marker? He's already dumped them out of a semi final and hasn't lost to them since, that game arguably a bigger achievement than doing it this time around given we are now the favourites. 

This time fans will be able to attend. Football during the Covid lockdown with empty stadiums was not the same for a lot of fans. 

Edited by McCrae

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
3 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

I put £50 on us winning the league in Robbie's first season but certainly didn't expect us to win it and definitely didn't;t expect us to win it so comfortably and in such style. One of the top goalscorers in Europe that season were we?

Why did you not expect us to win it ? Who did you expect to win it? Hibs who were again in disarray after they got relegated at the last minute following a penalty kick shoot-out disaster? QOS ? Falkirk?

or did you expect Boyd and Miller to get 60 goals between them and rangers to win every week like a lot of folk did? (Especially the rangers fans)

well they didn’t - no where near - that’s not to play down our achievement but it’s a big part of the context

I think we were one of the top goal scorers in Europe and probably close to unbeaten for longest - that’s because we were almost certainly a top 4 team in the premier league playing in the league below - an achievement but hardly unexplainable

Watt-Zeefuik
50 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

Always a chance to get the "Hibs monkey" off his back, as if he didn't already beat them in a Hampden semifinal.

Always with this crowd . . .

Moving goalposts | Meme Generator

4 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Contract upgrade hopefully imminent otherwise we could lose him again. 

Are you leaving again Bob? 😢 

18 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Always a chance to get the "Hibs monkey" off his back, as if he didn't already beat them in a Hampden semifinal.

Always with this crowd . . .

Moving goalposts | Meme Generator

So he beat them with a crowd there he did not win the first half though

Neilson won’t be complacent(just because he’s already won a semi v Hibs) , he probably would like a better record v Hibs in general and I’m sure he’ll fight for it.  He knows football doesn’t stand still though and it’s always about the next result. 

You are constantly judged in football.  I’d love nothing more than Neilson to become a Hearts cup winning manager, at least another semi final derby winning manager. With every win over Hibs, the criticism on that front will be less.

I’ve liked his words this week. I’ve read some fans almost thinking the season is over. “We’re third and in a semi final” etc….pats on the back all round and it’s still March……

The season is far from finished and he reiterated that. He mentioned that players should now be going up the gears at the business end of the season, that Hearts are a club who should be winning cups and finishing the league strongly.  

Almost opposite to how some of his fans think. 

41 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Neilson won’t be complacent(just because he’s already won a semi v Hibs) , he probably would like a better record v Hibs in general and I’m sure he’ll fight for it.  He knows football doesn’t stand still though and it’s always about the next result. 

You are constantly judged in football.  I’d love nothing more than Neilson to become a Hearts cup winning manager, at least another semi final derby winning manager. With every win over Hibs, the criticism on that front will be less.

I’ve liked his words this week. I’ve read some fans almost thinking the season is over. “We’re third and in a semi final” etc….pats on the back all round and it’s still March……

The season is far from finished and he reiterated that. He mentioned that players should now be going up the gears at the business end of the season, that Hearts are a club who should be winning cups and finishing the league strongly.  

Almost opposite to how some of his fans think. 

Let’s be honest here, he wins the cup and he’s entitled to all the doubters zipping it for good. Birkirkara Alloa Hibs Brora, all filed away in a box In the attic

2 hours ago, McCrae said:

This time fans will be able to attend. Football during the Covid lockdown with empty stadiums was not the same for a lot of fans. 

Were the results different?  Were they not real results? 

Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, McCrae said:

What does this even mean? We would have lost with fans there?

What is this latest angle? 

9 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Let’s be honest here, he wins the cup and he’s entitled to all the doubters zipping it for good. Birkirkara Alloa Hibs Brora, all filed away in a box In the attic

Of course.  Totally agree. 

10 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

No offence, but will they ****. 😀

Next season, if we're not in the top 3 after four or five games, he'll be questioned as to why he's not taking 'Savage's Cup-Winning Team' and challenging for the league.

We were one penalty away from winning it in 2020 with a championship level team, after knocking Hibs out in the semi, and none of you even squinted. Just complained more.

I remember in JJs second spell at the club, I used to go to a pub to watch some games where one guy would shout '6-2 Jefferies', every time the camera was on the Hearts bench.

But, some people are just like that. They have weird obsessions.

Each to their own I guess.

9 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I only saw this because you quoted him he is at it 100 % just trolling

Nookie Bear
35 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I only saw this because you quoted him he is at it 100 % just trolling

I know he isn’t hibs but it’s the kind of nonsense they would come up with. 

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, spacerjoe said:

No offence, but will they ****. 😀

Next season, if we're not in the top 3 after four or five games, he'll be questioned as to why he's not taking 'Savage's Cup-Winning Team' and challenging for the league.

We were one penalty away from winning it in 2020 with a championship level team, after knocking Hibs out in the semi, and none of you even squinted. Just complained more.

I remember in JJs second spell at the club, I used to go to a pub to watch some games where one guy would shout '6-2 Jefferies', every time the camera was on the Hearts bench.

But, some people are just like that. They have weird obsessions.

Each to their own I guess.

To balance it a bit, regardless of what we do this season we go again next year and it’s up to Neilson to build on it because that’s the standard that has been set. 

Seems harsh, and I wouldn’t be panicking after a handful of games, but a strong Euro start is essential otherwise there will be grumblings. That’s just the nature of the job.

Or he could end up managing Chelsea 2022 in the Southern League. 

part_time_jambo
10 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Apparently Hearts fans are like a tenth man.

27 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

To balance it a bit, regardless of what we do this season we go again next year and it’s up to Neilson to build on it because that’s the standard that has been set. 

Seems harsh, and I wouldn’t be panicking after a handful of games, but a strong Euro start is essential otherwise there will be grumblings. That’s just the nature of the job.

Or he could end up managing Chelsea 2022 in the Southern League. 

Of course!

That's exactly it. Just judge him on how he's performing vs the budget / tools he's been given. If he's allowed to build a more expensive squad with Euro money then I expect us to do better.

If he has a bad run - and I mean a proper one - he'll be up against it. Just like Ross was this season.

11 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

It’s pretty obvious if you take time to think about it… A lot of fans didn’t give a to$$ about football being played in empty stadiums. It just wasn’t the same for the fans or the players.

The experience of watching your team winning/losing at a full Hampden is very different to watching a game played under Covid regulations.

Edited by McCrae

Nookie Bear
8 minutes ago, McCrae said:

It’s pretty obvious if you take time to think about it… A lot of fans didn’t give a to$$ about football being played in empty stadiums. It just wasn’t the same for the fans or the players.

The experience of watching your team winning/losing at a full Hampden is very different to watching a game played under Covid regulations.

True but that has nothing to do with Neilson against hibs. It was still a deserved win and doesn’t count for any less. 

davemclaren
11 minutes ago, McCrae said:

To be fair, most of us seemed to give a toss when we lost to Brora in an empty stadium. 

FarmerTweedy
On 17/03/2022 at 20:52, ToqueJambo said:

The good thing is we have a few "strongest 11s" depending on the formation, opponent and type of game. There's not a single weak link in our squad. Pick 5 random Hearts fans just now and you'd probably get 5 different strongest 11s. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two key players from Halkett, Simms, McKay, Beni and Kingsley get rotated out for the league game. Hibs will see the cup game as bigger than the league game too mind you. They could also rest players and/or try to knobble a couple of ours. Cynically taking out Djoum in 2016 just after half-time, after he lorded it over them in the first half, basically got them back into that tie after all.

Many h1b5 fans will, but Baloney might not. For us, 3rd is basically in the bag, it's really just all about the cup now. Obviously we want to beat them in the league for the sheer satisfaction, but it doesn't really matter all that much much if we don't. A loss in the league game will be forgotten about as soon as the final whistle goes in the semi if we win that.  For the weeteam, it's a bit different, at least as things stand right now (two games before the split). They're probably going to need at least a draw, and maybe a win, in the league derby to be in the top half at the split.  Miss that and their only route into Europe is to win the cup, not just win the semi, but beat sevco or celtic in the final too. So they will have to keep a focus on the league, and go all out to win the league derby, unless they beat Dundee United in the next game and see at least one or two other results go their way.

9 hours ago, davemclaren said:

To be fair, most of us seemed to give a toss when we lost to Brora in an empty stadium. 

Absolutely  Dave.👍

Edited by One five

10 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I remember just feeling numb , the house was silent for hours .

Robbie has really matured as manager in the last 6 months,  without a doubt he is now a huge asset to the club along with the rest of the coaching staff. He has got us playing some lovely stuff now and added a bit of grit and attitude to the team . Credit where credit is due .

9 hours ago, One five said:

I remember just feeling numb , the house was silent for hours .

Strange, seems everyone could hear me sticking forks in my eyes for miles. :rubeyes:

all the Robbie critics very quiet just now.  I said a month or so ago that it was a sticky patch in a tremendous season. He has done a phenomenal job getting us clear in third by some way and to a semi final.

to be clear, win or lose against hibs this has been an excellent season, masterminded by Robbie.

Nookie Bear
38 minutes ago, Voxpop said:

all the Robbie critics very quiet just now.  I said a month or so ago that it was a sticky patch in a tremendous season. He has done a phenomenal job getting us clear in third by some way and to a semi final.

to be clear, win or lose against hibs this has been an excellent season, masterminded by Robbie.

All being set up for a winner takes all (loser gets a P45) showdown against hibs.

Ann Budge mentioned at the FOH plot ceremony yesterday that it was Neilson who called her to ask for the job when we got demoted. He's done a fantastic job of turning it around from last year. I really like him and want him to do well, I sometimes think he tweaks things too much and over thinks. 

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

All being set up for a winner takes all (loser gets a P45) showdown against hibs.

Not strictly true, Nookie.

We could lose the Semi and those shitehawks could lose in the Final.

A lose/win for us ! And a giruy to Hibs !

Especially if they finish sixth or lower.

52 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Ann Budge mentioned at the FOH plot ceremony yesterday that it was Neilson who called her to ask for the job when we got demoted. He's done a fantastic job of turning it around from last year. I really like him and want him to do well, I sometimes think he tweaks things too much and over thinks. 

Neilson also said that when he appeared at a Plot ceremony do!

In fact, if Carlsberg done perfect weekends etc…

Wins for Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, Motherwell and Livi on the 3rd April and we can condemn them to bottom six the following week !

The Semi could be the icing on the cake !

On 21/03/2022 at 09:12, Nookie Bear said:

no chance….  Even if hibs pumped us 5-1, Robbie is safe.

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, Voxpop said:

no chance….  Even if hibs pumped us 5-1, Robbie is safe.

Well that's not true (not that we will ever find out anyway)

Guest ToqueJambo
On 21/03/2022 at 03:01, PapaShango said:

It's probably him and Budge seemingly having a good relationship that's behind the animosity towards Robbie from the small group that won't ease up on him, rather than his managerial ability. 

Jambo_jim2001

No matter what manager we have it's a given that we have to beat the hobbos😎👍Robbie and the backroom have done us all proud this year so far❤️❤️HHGH

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Fair play to Neilson making the first move on a date. Always a tricky moment (unless you are pished and just go for it).

The Apprentice
On 18/03/2022 at 20:18, McCrae said:

It wasn’t different for me. I watched it at home like everyone else and celebrated as if I was at the game. It felt ****ing brilliant! Especially given everything that was against us leading

up to that game.