Neilson ( merged )

jamborich

Frustrates the hell out of me thought we handled auchinleck brilliantly a game we should win but potential banana skin, tonight feck me tactics atrocious fail to see how that first half is acceptable 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Watt-Zeefuik

Too conservative against the big teams means we are invariably chasing the game.

Seems to be in his DNA so I guess we are stuck with it for now.

August Landmesser

Aye, we beat a tier 7 part-time team 5-0, so we should've done the same against the team second in our division that has about 10x our budget and wage bill.

Booooo Nheilshon OUt bhooooo 

9 minutes ago, jamborich said:

Frustrates the hell out of me thought we handled auchinleck brilliantly a game we should win but potential banana skin, tonight feck me tactics atrocious fail to see how that first half is acceptable 

Can you not just moan your tits off about our manager on the match thread....

2 minutes ago, smiler said:

Can you not just moan your tits off about our manager on the match thread....

Naw canny be ersed reading it pissed off 

2 minutes ago, jamborich said:

Naw canny be ersed reading it pissed off 

I feel your pain, I’m still greetin’ about us only getting 4 corners 😔

Edited by smiler
Missed out an ‘r’,

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

We utter welts in our support. 

English is the recognised language on this forum, give it a try old boy.

33 minutes ago, jamborich said:

Subs changed it in our favour eventually . Not really Neilsons fault so many were having a mare in the first half. It’ll be interesting to see who he plays on Saturday and Tuesday (injuries aside). Beni and the new signing have to start 

Just now, 1971fozzy said:

Subs changed it in our favour eventually . Not really Neilsons fault so many were having a mare in the first half. It’ll be interesting to see who he plays on Saturday and Tuesday (injuries aside). Beni and the new signing have to start 

See this what really frustrates yes many were having a mare but why, imo it was down to his tactics they were totally lost and dominated 

Was there one Hearts fan who went to that game tonight and thought “we really need to sit off them and surrender the whole of their half to them, before we even try to shut them down”.  Or did EVERY Hearts fan think, they’ve got half a team of their first picks out, let’s get intae these ***** and put them under pressure? Since Neilson’s came back we’ve played Celtic five times. Giving him the benefit of the doubt (although I’ve no idea why), we’ve been absolutely ****in horrific in four of those five first halves. It’s not fighting spirit to come back into a game when you’re beat if you do it regularly, it’s cowardice not to fight until the game’s out of reach FFS! 

Now before anyone accuses me of wanting him to be sacked, I don’t. However, as it stands it’s obvious he will be sacked from this role (at some point), not for being a shite manager, or that the team aren’t coached properly; no, it’ll be because he can’t help but set us up like a team frightened of their opposition. 

Agreed. We really should play the same way we did against Auchinleck and dominate them from the start, I mean there’s not much difference between the two clubs, Neilson’s tactics are a disgrace, in no way should any Hearts team be getting outplayed by a team with 10x the budget, ever, 🙄

11 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

Agreed. We really should play the same way we did against Auchinleck and dominate them from the start, I mean there’s not much difference between the two clubs, Neilson’s tactics are a disgrace, in no way should any Hearts team be getting outplayed by a team with 10x the budget, ever, 🙄

Ffs have a word take it you were happy with the first half tactics tonight Auchinleck was a stroll Neilson got it right tonight he got it wrong 

Just now, jamborich said:

Ffs have a word take it you were happy with the first half tactics tonight Auchinleck was a stroll Neilson got it right tonight he got it wrong 

😂 me have word. Happy? No not at all, far from it,  difference is, I can see things for how they are, whereas u seem to think we can just go and dominate teams at our leisure, Celtic do this to the majority of teams in our league, totally outplay them then tire in the 2nd half, we capitalised on that and were fantastic 2nd half and had it not been for the penalty miss we could have went on to win the game such was our dominance in the 2nd half but no we never but we were up against a very good Celtic team so away n have a word with yourself and chill out. 

21 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

Ok let's just surrender 10x the budget no point in playing 

2 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

😂 me have word. Happy? No not at all, far from it,  difference is, I can see things for how they are, whereas u seem to think we can just go and dominate teams at our leisure, Celtic do this to the majority of teams in our league, totally outplay them then tire in the 2nd half, we capitalised on that and were fantastic 2nd half and had it not been for the penalty miss we could have went on to win the game such was our dominance in the 2nd half but no we never but we were up against a very good Celtic team so away n have a word with yourself and chill out. 

Wtf were did I say we should dominate teams at our leisure the problem we have is we allow teams like Celtic to dominate us doesn't matter how well we played in the second half the damage was done in the first half

Allow teams like Celtic? U mean one of if not the best team in the country to dominate us? We don’t just turn up and let them dominate ffs, do u really think that or are u just plain stupid? They are a far superior team to us so it’s what they do, then they tire and we get a foothold in the game, even the 1st game of the season which we won they outplayed us for the vast majority of the match but we snuck a late winner, that’s football buddy no point losing your shit over it. 

fabienleclerq

We set up the same way we always do ffs. Hearts fans really do have some idiots in our support. 

Auchinleck are 6th tier, Celtic have a good manager and better players than us. They forced us into making mistakes with their press, they played high up the park so pressing them is difficult given they also have better players. 

They can't play "Angeball" for 90 minutes, so second half we got back in it. Neilson's changes played a big part in this. Folk say he can't change the game, he definitely did tonight. Penalty goes on we win that imo. 

We can discuss the pros and cons of Neilson's tactics all day long, but it can't be denied that all our players in the first half were either average or below average.  We were poor at passing, defending, moving into open spaces, creating shooting opportunities, all basic stuff that the players failed to do.

Can't blame the manager for that. 

4 hours ago, Cut The Crap said:

Too conservative against the big teams means we are invariably chasing the game.

Seems to be in his DNA so I guess we are stuck with it for now.

The big teams having better players than us is what invariably leads to us chasing the game, it's got nothing to do with his DNA!

We didn't suddenly start losing to Celtic when Robbie turned up

Quite the level of stupidity.

The other team on the pitch who where assembled at quite the cost, run us ragged in the 1st half.

Anybody think the Talbot manager drilled his players into sitting back at the weekend?

We overcame the pressure by remaining calm and playing our game and deserved a point over the 90 minutes.

There's another team on the pitch and the game last 90 minutes.

Two things that are crucial to the game yet forgotten in the heat of the froth.

Edited by Bull's-eye

4 hours ago, jamborich said:

5-0 would suggest I'm right

7 divisions of a difference, not relevent, im more worried about a missed penalty.

21 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Quite the level of stupidity.

The other team on the pitch who where assembled at quite the cost, run us ragged in the 1st half.

Anybody think the Talbot manager drilled his players into sitting back at the weekend?

We overcame the pressure by remaining calm and playing our game and deserved a point over the 90 minutes.

There's another team on the pitch and the game last 90 minutes.

Two things that are crucial to the game yet forgotten in the heat of the froth.

There’s no room for this kind of level headedness on this thread, boooo.

If Boycies penalty had went in last night there would have been a whole different feel to this forum.

2 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

There’s no room for this kind of level headedness on this thread, boooo.

If Boycies penalty had went in last night there would have been a whole different feel to this forum.

these are big moments in a game, he was unlucky half inch and that was in, but hey ho thats the breaks, or not.

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

these are big moments in a game, he was unlucky half inch and that was in, but hey ho thats the breaks, or not.

I was impressed by the way our manager and team responded Harry, there was a time when we would have completely folded.

The great unwashed hoards were worried last night Harry boy, no mistake.

Infuriating we wait until the game is gone to have a go at them. Ffs does he think that Scottish cup tactic is going to work every time against them! First half was embarrassing.

4 hours ago, Paris 84 said:

Was there one Hearts fan who went to that game tonight and thought “we really need to sit off them and surrender the whole of their half to them, before we even try to shut them down”.  Or did EVERY Hearts fan think, they’ve got half a team of their first picks out, let’s get intae these ***** and put them under pressure? Since Neilson’s came back we’ve played Celtic five times. Giving him the benefit of the doubt (although I’ve no idea why), we’ve been absolutely ****in horrific in four of those five first halves. It’s not fighting spirit to come back into a game when you’re beat if you do it regularly, it’s cowardice not to fight until the game’s out of reach FFS! 

Now before anyone accuses me of wanting him to be sacked, I don’t. However, as it stands it’s obvious he will be sacked from this role (at some point), not for being a shite manager, or that the team aren’t coached properly; no, it’ll be because he can’t help but set us up like a team frightened of their opposition. 

👏👏👏👏👏

Incredible that so many people can watch a game of football and not notice that there’s two teams playing as opposed to one.

Celtic players don’t panic as much us ours under pressure, they don’t make as many silly mistakes, take as many heavy touches, play as many passes 2 yards to far in front of their man. They’re a better team.

First 5 minutes before Celtic settled we were trying to play our game. They didn’t let us. Piled on the pressure, we got scared, players went into themselves and lost a goal to a great strike. Cue even more pressure, even more fear, more sitting back and trying to soak up the pressure for as long as possible. Lose another. Got a goal back and momentum completely changes, they start to worry, they start to tire. That game last night was a game of fine margins, which considering the number of times I’ve gone to Tynecastle and seen as be turned over 3-0/4-0 in the last few years that tells me we’re moving in the right direction, on a comparatively small budget.

Subs changed the game as well.

It’s never the players when it goes wrong, but never Robbie when it goes right for some people. 

All in all, meh. 

Edited by Squirt

I realise people come on here to vent and probably wake up the next morning knowing they look like a twat so I’ll give the OP leeway.

Neilson isn’t to blame for the first half, the players were.  Too many were off it and when Celtic press in the way they did, our passing and movement needs to be accurate, which it wasn’t. Gordon will be kicking himself for the first goal and the second was also avoidable.  

Second half, we were much better and put them on the back foot for long spells.  The penalty goes in and we probably go on to win the match as by that point, they were on their knees.  Beni and Simms changed the game for me and brought control and tempo but still, some of our players were not at full capacity (McKay had an off night but at least didn’t hide).

The reaction of the Celtic players and fans at full time tells you how relieved they were as they knew they’d been in a battle.  Neilson on the other hand will be frustrated but taking the positives, we can match anyone, we just need the players to believe it.  We’ve also unearthed another gem in Atkinson who looked very assured.

We were very poor first half but we need to get real as someone said on here last night , years gone by we would have be on the end of a 5 or 6 defeat but we are now getting much closer to them on a mere fraction of their budget.Games in the end have been much closer against them and we have even won one of them not to bad for a team that is just being built.

3 minutes ago, Squirt said:

Incredible that so many people can watch a game of football and not notice that there’s two teams playing as opposed to one.

Celtic players don’t panic as much us ours under pressure, they don’t make as many silly mistakes, take as many heavy touches, play as many passes 2 yards to far in front of their man. They’re a better team.

First 5 minutes before Celtic settled we were trying to play our game. They didn’t let us. Piled on the pressure, we got scared, players went into themselves and lost a goal to a great strike. Cue even more pressure, even more fear, more sitting back and trying to soak up the pressure for as long as possible. Lose another. Got a goal back and momentum completely changes, they start to worry, they start to tire. That game last night was a game of fine margins, which considering the number of times I’ve gone to Tynecastle and seen as be turned over 3-0/4-0 in the last few years that tells me we’re moving in the right direction, on a comparatively small budget.

Subs changed the game as well.

It’s never the players when it goes wrong, but never Robbie when it goes right for some people. 

All in all, meh. 

Exactly how Robbie described it.Its not so much we set out to play how we did Celtic just took control after 10 mins and imposed their game on us and as you say it led to us being a jittery panic ridden side.

We remind me a bit of Scotland. We're pretty good and that Celtic team a higher level of pretty good, but they're not a Celtic team of old.

Man for man across the pitch I'd say 50% of the positions we were about equal as individuals on paper. The variance is that they then have 2 or 3 who are a lot better whereas we have 2 or 3 still who are out of their depth really.

We're getting there though. Teams panicking under pressure though is very much down to the manager so that excuse doesn't wash imo.

Thought he would have learned after the Rangers game that a 2 man doesn't work early on against quality.

Should have went with Beni I'm there instead of Gino at the start. 

8 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

I realise people come on here to vent and probably wake up the next morning knowing they look like a twat so I’ll give the OP leeway.

Neilson isn’t to blame for the first half, the players were.  Too many were off it and when Celtic press in the way they did, our passing and movement needs to be accurate, which it wasn’t. Gordon will be kicking himself for the first goal and the second was also avoidable.  

Second half, we were much better and put them on the back foot for long spells.  The penalty goes in and we probably go on to win the match as by that point, they were on their knees.  Beni and Simms changed the game for me and brought control and tempo but still, some of our players were not at full capacity (McKay had an off night but at least didn’t hide).

The reaction of the Celtic players and fans at full time tells you how relieved they were as they knew they’d been in a battle.  Neilson on the other hand will be frustrated but taking the positives, we can match anyone, we just need the players to believe it.  We’ve also unearthed another gem in Atkinson who looked very assured.

Completely Agree with above.

Was very disappointed with the result but people need to look at where we were when Robbie took over and where we are now. Relegated to be being disappointed dropping point playing Celtic is a massive progression. Whilst we continue to progress as a team and club then he is doing his job and right now he is doing it very well.

4 hours ago, jamborich said:

Ok let's just surrender 10x the budget no point in playing 

Wtf were did I say we should dominate teams at our leisure the problem we have is we allow teams like Celtic to dominate us doesn't matter how well we played in the second half the damage was done in the first half

Sorry   dont think the word surrender is allowed on here.  Upsets too many

A_A wehatethehibs
5 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

We utter welts in our support. 

No doubt about that 

Imagine comparing games against a ****ing literal pub team, vs against Celtic and 5-10x bigger budget than us 

Is there anything more ****witted than that? 

aww man ffs we beat auchinleck 5-0 why’d you no do that against Celtic Neilson ffs? 

People going on about tactics and formations may have a point, a small point.  Too many of our guys played poorly in the first half. We made it easy to get closed down because when in possession we were way to static. You need to put in a good team performance against the old firm. Too many of our guys were looking after themselves. 

5 hours ago, Paris 84 said:

In hindsight it didn’t help with the selection and once Celtic were exerting  pressure, some players wilted and need to shoulder the blame.  

We’ve had a good season until now but I hope Neilson is a manager who doesn’t let sentiment get in the road and has the nous to see the changes that must be made to keep improving. 

Smith got roasted. Haring is too slow for more intense matches.  Both these players need phased out as first picks, although they’d be good squad players for now. Hopefully Atkinson makes that position his own in time and we could be doing with another pacey, energetic centre midfielder to compete with Beni and Devlin.  

Will be next season for all that though I’d think. 

Edited by Debut 4

Felt he got the team right but formation wrong. 343 worked this season and cochrane was lost at left mid. Team were really poor first half and couldn’t string a few passes together which isn’t the managers fault

4 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

In hindsight it didn’t help with the selection and once Celtic were exiting pressure, but some players wilted and need to shoulder the blame.  

We’ve had a good season until now but I hope Neilson is a manager who doesn’t let sentiment get in the road and has the nous to see the changes that must be made to keep improving. 

Smith got roasted. Haring is too slow for more intense matches.  Both these players need fazed out as first picks, although they’d be good squad players for now. Hopefully Atkinson makes that position his own in time and we could be doing with another pacey, energetic centre midfielder to compete with Beni and Devlin.  

Will be next season for all that though I’d think. 

It won’t be next season for Atkinson. If we continue with 3 at the back, he’ll be first pick soon enough. 

Leveins Battalion

Last nights frustrations just show how far we have come in a short space of time as a club,dissapointed to lose narrowly at home to Celtic after missing a late penalty.

It's gone now i'd rather focus on the positives,personally thought Atkinson came onto a great game 2nd half,he's only 22 and just moved half way round the world,i'm sure he will of learned from last night,Simms looks a proper striker also.Benni coming on and bossing the show.Also thought GMS done well when he came on.

Concerns are the ongoing Centre Half debacle,we need to find whatever funds we can a get 1 maybe even 2 proper no nonsense defenders.

6 hours ago, jamborich said:

What is your tactical solution?

14 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Thought he would have learned after the Rangers game that a 2 man doesn't work early on against quality.

Should have went with Beni I'm there instead of Gino at the start. 

Correct answer! Playing three forwards, being too attacking, means we can get blown away by the better sides. Celtic were unbelievably good in the first half. They were there for the taking by the time we won the penalty....

If all you had to do was “have a go” against Celtic & Rangers to beat them they’d lose every week. When you have genuine quality like Jota, Hatate etc against you it’s very difficult to execute a gameplan. We sat off because we couldn’t get near them & every time it broke to us we struggled to play simple passes, that’s not tactics that’s the players panicking because they’re being dominated & are struggling to contain a better team who are playing well. The introduction of Beni coming at the point where Celtics legs go every game was what changed everything & if Boyce’s penalty goes the tiniest bit to the right we’re probably beating them & it becomes a night that goes down in Gorgie legend.

Celtic & Rangers are beatable but you still need them to have an off day & if anyone in your teams not 100% on song then the whole thing falls to bits because they’ll punish you.

• davemclaren changed the title to Neilson ( merged )