Neilson ( merged )

jamborich

2 minutes ago, jamborich said:

Yep fair enough and next season?

Put it this way, splitting the old firm would be an outstanding achievement, winning the league considering the massive gulf would probably be the greatest achievement in the club’s history.

Are you saying you’d be disappointed if we finished 3rd back to back for the 1st time since 2003? Bear in mind you have to go back to the 1950s til that’s matched or bettered…

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Watt-Zeefuik

9 minutes ago, Tazio said:

He just can’t win. A player made a mistake today and someone near me shouted out “FFS Neilson, that’s shit” as if it was his fault. 

:lol: **** sake. 

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

He just can’t win. A player made a mistake today and someone near me shouted out “FFS Neilson, that’s shit” as if it was his fault. 

No not his fault. I started this thread because I believed Neilson got his tactics wrong against Celtic I stick by that, the argument they have bigger budgets is valid however i believe he got it wrong 

On 27/01/2022 at 02:54, jamtartan74 said:

Allow teams like Celtic? U mean one of if not the best team in the country to dominate us? We don’t just turn up and let them dominate ffs, do u really think that or are u just plain stupid? They are a far superior team to us so it’s what they do, then they tire and we get a foothold in the game, even the 1st game of the season which we won they outplayed us for the vast majority of the match but we snuck a late winner, that’s football buddy no point losing your shit over it. 

Celtic tire tell me a other team that beat them scoring last minute goals 

4 minutes ago, jamborich said:

No not his fault. I started this thread because I believed Neilson got his tactics wrong against Celtic I stick by that, the argument they have bigger budgets is valid however i believe he got it wrong 

Here is the reality. Hearts will never, I repeat, never, play the OF of the park in a one sided fixture, it's just never going to happen. 

But... 

We have competed with Rangers and Celtic in every game this season and we deserved more than we got in some of the games against them. 

We are also 10 points ahead of Motherwell in 3rd. It shows we are significantly better than the rest. 

We have done incredibly well to go from Championship winners to best of the rest.

We're not far off the OF clubs, we just need a wee bit more quality and game management. With the money we could receive, I think we can move to the next level next season and get closer to them. 

There is very little to be negative about, we are in a fantastic place on and off the field. It looks like we could achieve more now than anytime in my lifetime. I say that because our future is secure. Our financial situation is getting even stronger. We have the basis of a great squad, recruitment and management team. We have also made changes to improve the Academy.

This decade looks very promising for us. 👍

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Here is the reality. Hearts will never, I repeat, never, play the OF of the park in a one sided fixture, it's just never going to happen. 

But... 

We have competed with Rangers and Celtic in every game this season and we deserved more than we got in some of the games against them. 

We are also 10 points ahead of Motherwell in 3rd. It shows we are significantly better than the rest. 

We have done incredibly well to go from Championship winners to best of the rest.

We're not far off the OF clubs, we just need a wee bit more quality and game management. With the money we could receive, I think we can move to the next level next season and get closer to them. 

There is very little to be negative about, we are in a fantastic place on and off the field. It looks like we could achieve more now than anytime in my lifetime. I say that because our future is secure. Our financial situation is getting even stronger. We have the basis of a great squad, recruitment and management team. We have also made changes to improve the Academy.

Fair point well maid my point wasn't about the 3 points as I think we'll finish 3rd and yes a good season however to finish above the old firm despite budgets we have to believe we can compete and take them on (Leicester) if we worry about them we will never catch them

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, jamborich said:

Fair point well maid my point wasn't about the 3 points as I think we'll finish 3rd and yes a good season however to finish above the old firm despite budgets we have to believe we can compete and take them on (Leicester) if we worry about them we will never catch them

Leicester?

What have they got to do with the OF and Hearts?

4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Leicester?

What have they got to do with the OF and Hearts?

I'll leave that one with you

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, jamborich said:

So you agree then, nothing. 

3 minutes ago, jamborich said:

I think you should stop now for your own sake.

Last year the bottom club, Sheffield United took £91m in prize money alone.  How you think you can compare Hearts to Leicester based on this is laughable.

Just now, frankblack said:

Last year the bottom club, Sheffield United took £91m in prize money alone.  How you think you can compare Hearts to Leicester based on this is laughable.

Based on what are you comparing Leicesters budget to Manchester United, Manchester city, liverpool or Chelsea the point is they took them on without fear and won

52 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

But... 

The funny part about this is that we have done this in the recent past, but it's also the exception that proves the rule.

We took one of the most dynamic, dominant Celtic teams and ended their longest domestic run ever, romping the game so thoroughly that fans were doing the Poznan in the stands.

Who did that? The same manager that two years later left us gasping at the foot of the table.

This is the team of unstoppables that broke down that Celtic team, an affair that included a critical error by one Celtic keeper Craig Gordon.

image.thumb.png.a776068d12bb67d224cf6181b77ce0a4.png

The lesson is that football is a funny game and zeroing in on single matches, good or bad, won't tell you much about a manager or a squad.

34 minutes ago, jamborich said:

Based on what are you comparing Leicesters budget to Manchester United, Manchester city, liverpool or Chelsea the point is they took them on without fear and won

No, their budget is still top end while we shop around for free or nominal priced transfers.

You are trying to use relative comparisons without acknowledgement of the far higher starting point.

It looks to me as if he opts for containment against C and R.  Possibly just for the first 30 minutes or so.  It doesn't work and he will know that now.

Be interesting to see how he appraches it at ibrox shortly.

Pretty tricky though when your oponent has a £19m loanee in their ranks.

They play with very high intensity against us.  Rangers looked to me as if they were just strolling around against R C.  They won't do that against us.

2 hours ago, jamborich said:

Celtic tire tell me a other team that beat them scoring last minute goals 

Midtgyland, leverkusen, what’s ur point?

25 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

The funny part about this is that we have done this in the recent past, but it's also the exception that proves the rule.

We took one of the most dynamic, dominant Celtic teams and ended their longest domestic run ever, romping the game so thoroughly that fans were doing the Poznan in the stands.

Who did that? The same manager that two years later left us gasping at the foot of the table.

This is the team of unstoppables that broke down that Celtic team, an affair that included a critical error by one Celtic keeper Craig Gordon.

image.thumb.png.a776068d12bb67d224cf6181b77ce0a4.png

The lesson is that football is a funny game and zeroing in on single matches, good or bad, won't tell you much about a manager or a squad.

Nah, I disagree. That for me was a one off game where Levein got his tactics spot on and they folded like a hot marsbar. We pressed them to death that night and forced them into making mistakes. 

When I'm talking about playing them off the park it is going toe to toe, being able to play through them from back to front. Building from the back, keeping possession for long spells and creating chances. Controlling the game.

If you look at the stats in that game I.e. shots, possession and corners, they had more of each. Celtic were the superior side coming into that game and after that game. 9 times out of 10, we would have lost v them that season and I believe we lost 4-1, 3-1 and 1-3 on our other meetings that season. 

Any team can beat a superior side with a bit of luck and a tactical win by blitzing them to death with a press and counter or, the other extreme - parking the bus and nicking a win by winning territory and set pieces. 

We'll never get to a level where everytime we play the OF we're dominating the game. It's a very rare occurrence when one of the OF dominate and control the game v the other. We would have to be at a level above them to achieve that and I don't think that will ever be possible because of the financial gulf. 

But I do think we are at a stage now where we can compete against them but unfortunately, they are still that wee bit better  because they have more individual quality, see Hatate's hit or Aribo's finish.  

We can get to the stage where games are tighter and where we're pretty evenly matched but there will never be a time where we're favourites v the OF and boss meetings against them which is the point I was making to Rich. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

But... 

This x1,000,000

It is criminal how underappreciated RN is among some sections of the support. Does he sometimes get the tactics working…sure. But overall, he knows how to get results in this league and loves the club.  We saw the sample once he left last time…you’d think folks would have learnt their lesson. 

1 minute ago, AmeriDan said:

This x1,000,000

It is criminal how underappreciated RN is among some sections of the support. Does he sometimes get the tactics working…sure. But overall, he knows how to get results in this league and loves the club.  We saw the sample once he left last time…you’d think folks would have learnt their lesson. 

Get the tactics wrong***

8 hours ago, tynietigers said:

Strangely enough the player said the very same today in the gorgie 👍🏻

👍… also worth pointing out that in our last 10/11 games, only the uglies have beaten us. Apart from that we’ve taken 3 points from everyone else in each game. What I’m saying is we had a lot of draws earlier in the season but now, even if some performances aren’t great, we’re getting wins off the teams below us. 

6 hours ago, Cruyff said:

But... 

Remember this summer one of the OldFirm get a guaranteed £30m for Champions League qualification. 

6 hours ago, jamborich said:

Neilson should have tucked that penalty away. Pity he hit the post.

8 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Nah, I disagree. That for me was a one off game where Levein got his tactics spot on and they folded like a hot marsbar. We pressed them to death that night and forced them into making mistakes. 

When I'm talking about playing them off the park it is going toe to toe, being able to play through them from back to front. Building from the back, keeping possession for long spells and creating chances. Controlling the game.

If you look at the stats in that game I.e. shots, possession and corners, they had more of each. Celtic were the superior side coming into that game and after that game. 9 times out of 10, we would have lost v them that season and I believe we lost 4-1, 3-1 and 1-3 on our other meetings that season. 

Any team can beat a superior side with a bit of luck and a tactical win by blitzing them to death with a press and counter or, the other extreme - parking the bus and nicking a win by winning territory and set pieces. 

We'll never get to a level where everytime we play the OF we're dominating the game. It's a very rare occurrence when one of the OF dominate and control the game v the other. We would have to be at a level above them to achieve that and I don't think that will ever be possible because of the financial gulf. 

But I do think we are at a stage now where we can compete against them but unfortunately, they are still that wee bit better  because they have more individual quality, see Hatate's hit or Aribo's finish.  

We can get to the stage where games are tighter and where we're pretty evenly matched but there will never be a time where we're favourites v the OF and boss meetings against them which is the point I was making to Rich. 

Yep and as has been shown this season, the OF recognise when a team is improving and raise their game accordingly. We are once again a "big game" for them in a way that the likes of County, Livi etc will never be which is why they can get as many or even more points off the OF in a season as us...It's funny like that.

Really pleased with Robbies comments yesterday about being happy with the win but disappointed about how we played. 

Important that standards keep rising. 

HHGH 

Jambo in Bathgate
9 hours ago, jamborich said:

Nope don't agree

You do realise that Leicester’s budget is well beyond anything we could dream of because of TV deals for the Premier League world wide. Why do you think the Uglies want a move to England. 

Jambo in Bathgate
4 minutes ago, OTT said:

Really pleased with Robbies comments yesterday about being happy with the win but disappointed about how we played. 

Important that standards keep rising. 

HHGH 

Thought players didn’t adapt to Motherwell in the first half until we scored the goal. Too many players caught on the ball by not reacting quickly. Sometimes there was no out ball because of this and other players not reading the situation and leaving colleagues isolated one on two or even three. 

2 minutes ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

Thought players didn’t adapt to Motherwell in the first half until we scored the goal. Too many players caught on the ball by not reacting quickly. Sometimes there was no out ball because of this and other players not reading the situation and leaving colleagues isolated one on two or even three. 

I think that is one thing we really need to improve at - players making themselves available for a pass. Some of the passing on Wednesday also looked atrocious but it is mainly because there are no options other than the Hooray pass...9/10 times the easy pass is the best option but it has to be offered. The only time the difficult pass is the best option is to unlock a stubborn defence in the final 3rd.

Jambo in Bathgate
2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I think that is one thing we really need to improve at - players making themselves available for a pass. Some of the passing on Wednesday also looked atrocious but it is mainly because there are no options other than the Hooray pass...9/10 times the easy pass is the best option but it has to be offered. The only time the difficult pass is the best option is to unlock a stubborn defence in the final 3rd.

Exactly, the same as Wednesday night. Devlin got caught a number of times with 2 or 3 on. But no colleague came close enough for a simple pass to be made. That changed when we scored yesterday. I also thought that Aitchison learned from Wednesday he played or carried balls up the line and not into midfield as he did for first Celtic goal. 

3 hours ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

Exactly, the same as Wednesday night. Devlin got caught a number of times with 2 or 3 on. But no colleague came close enough for a simple pass to be made. That changed when we scored yesterday. I also thought that Aitchison learned from Wednesday he played or carried balls up the line and not into midfield as he did for first Celtic goal. 

It's something that Smith is exceptional at—providing a relief valve for midfield pressure. We miss it when he's off.

7 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Remember this summer one of the OldFirm get a guaranteed £30m for Champions League qualification. 

If we don't get there first

14 hours ago, jamborich said:

He did get it wrong zero doubt 

Anyone that thinks otherwise is utterly clueless. They are not a great side neither are rangers. 

1 minute ago, NB GIN said:

Anyone that thinks otherwise is utterly clueless. They are not a great side neither are rangers. 

Blew a great opportunity. 

2 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Uh huh ...

3 hours ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

You do realise that Leicester’s budget is well beyond anything we could dream of because of TV deals for the Premier League world wide. Why do you think the Uglies want a move to England. 

Leicester in relation to their competitors.

Was I think the point being made.

9 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Nonsense.

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Uh huh ...

Mr P these 2 sides are nowhere near the level of 10-20 years ago.

Winners and losers in life you won’t get anywhere with a negative attitude. How many times have we played Celtic off the park second half in the last 1-2 years. 

More belief is required from Robbie … can you not see this ?

Guest ToqueJambo
14 hours ago, frankblack said:

Do people still think Leicester are an example for us? They were paying multiple players the same wages players get at top 5 EPL teams. They spent over 25m on transfer fees that season. The gap between Leicester and the teams they had to beat to the title was much, much smaller than between us and the OF. As importantly, they could pay enough to attract top players as not every top player will be able to find game time with the elite sides, so the gap in quality of player is smaller. The fact Leicester have remained a top 6 team is entirely down to spending more money to stay a competitive team.

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 minute ago, NB GIN said:

Winners and losers in life you won’t get anywhere with a negative attitude. How many times have we played Celtic off the park second half in the last 1-2 years. 

Why can't Celtic and Rangers get the same level of players as they used to?

Don't those same factors apply to us as well?

I don't know what "more belief" is supposed to mean. More belief in throwing on Beni at the start, straight from injury? More belief in Smith's back? More belief in a new defensive signing going straight into an OF game?

20 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

The gulf is absolutely huge. The record transfer fees both clubs are securing suggests that the players they have now are actually better than 10 years ago. How much will Kyogo and Aribo go for next?

6 hours ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

I despair ffs

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, Ked said:

Leicester in relation to their competitors.

Was I think the point being made.

Yep, Leicester may have a huge budget compared to ours.  But they should never be able to compete with Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, etc.  These clubs can attract the best players in the world, Leicester cannot.  But for one season they managed to upset the odds and do just that (which iirc were higher odds than you normally get on Hearts winning the league which shows how unexpected it was).  I doubt that will happen again in my lifetime North or South of the border. 

Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

Yep, Leicester may have a huge budget compared to ours.  But they should never be able to compete with Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, etc.  These clubs can attract the best players in the world, Leicester cannot.  But for one season they managed to upset the odds and do just that (which iirc were higher odds than you normally get on Hearts winning the league which shows how unexpected it was).  I doubt that will happen again in my lifetime North or South of the border. 

They can attract a team full of internationals that is strong enough to be in and around the top 4, and in case you missed it beat Chelsea in the FA Cup final last season.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

The gulf is absolutely huge. The record transfer fees both clubs are securing suggests that the players they have now are actually better than 10 years ago. How much will Kyogo and Aribo go for next?

I agree, I think celtic and rangers are better than ten years ago. 

Rangers are definitely better. 

Some Folk are performing fantastic mental gymnastics to have a go at him. 

Bob is in these folks heads and they can't enjoy Hearts because they want Bob to fail. 

It's actually turning out to be quite an amusing side effect of Hearts doing well under Bob

-Leicesta won da leeg about 6 years ago so Hertz should be beating the of, Ken like say.

Cracking stuff. Keep it up. It's amusing. 

3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

People get hung up on Leicester but there are plenty of other examples, albeit some not as recently, such as Valencia and Atletico Madrid in Spain, Lille in France, Wolfsburg in Germany, AZ and Twente in the Netherlands, and so forth.

Big resource gaps are the norm in football, but in most leagues a smaller club breaks through every decade or so.

• davemclaren changed the title to Neilson ( merged )