Russia Invades Ukraine

Greenbank2

Just now, Lone Striker said:

You could be right, although the guy is such a slippery liar that no-one seems able to second-guess whats going through his mind.   Another weird  clip they showed today of him meeting 2 of his military top-brass - he looked almost flippant,   rambling on about raising the stakes.   1 of the 2 generals looked rather worried.   

I  wonder what Trump's response would have been if this had happened on his watch.    2 out-of-control mad dictators with no respect for law & order., who only care about their ego/wealth/power.

Trump was at least answerable to the people and the senate. Whilst trump was a bit of a madman he was at least impeachable and removable unlike Putin. How someone can gain such a position in a country like Russia in todays world baffles me. 

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• JFK-1

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Jumping before they're pushed.

I don't think they are going to start banning adverts just because they include Russian animated characters. This is just about the company trying to avoid negative publicity if e.g. they show an ad straight after a news program that shows a Russian attack on civilians. Simples.

4 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Trump was at least answerable to the people and the senate. Whilst trump was a bit of a madman he was at least impeachable and removable unlike Putin. How someone can gain such a position in a country like Russia in todays world baffles me. 

The man who tried to seize power despite losing election.

That Donald Trump.

5 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

You could be right, although the guy is such a slippery liar that no-one seems able to second-guess whats going through his mind.   Another weird  clip they showed today of him meeting 2 of his military top-brass - he looked almost flippant,   rambling on about raising the stakes.   1 of the 2 generals looked rather worried.   

I  wonder what Trump's response would have been if this had happened on his watch.    2 out-of-control mad dictators with no respect for law & order., who only care about their ego/wealth/power.

That is a very good question, LS. The UK and the EU, for example, would probably still have responded in like fashion, but would Trump have climbed aboard with NATO's reaction and with the SWIFT move? A moot point now, but I'm not so sure he would have. You could argue that Putin missed his chance.

BBC had enough of the shite spouted by the Russian ambassador to the UN answering questions from journalists there. 

Still going on somewhere..

A couple of days ago, the Russian state-owned RIA-Novosti news agency published an article congratulating Russia on solving the Ukrainian issue by having incorporated Ukraine back into a greater Russia. A bit premature, it was quickly deleted from the web site. However, below is an English translation of the article. It gives an insight into the aim of Putin, namely the acting of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus "as a single whole".

https://thefrontierpost.com/the-new-world-order/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-60562240

British Government need to shut it. 

Our party line should be don’t mess with NATO and we don’t have a problem. 

Why do we have to be the worlds Policeman? Just sets us up for conflict.

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

God, I hate to take the thread off-topic, but it's things like this that turned me into wanting Scottish independence. I'm not a great fan of what the UK is becoming as a country. We're losing our soul.

It's a fast moving situation, pretty sure the right thing will get done...

6 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Putin started moving in powerful circles during Yeltsin's time.   His KGB "achievements"   (which probably involved suppressing & removing  dissidents) probably helped his rise up into  the inner circles of power.   

You only have to look at how a democracy like the US  can end up voting for Trump (no political experience, but plenty media exposure of his ego &  extreme views) ... or the Vote Leave gang here .... to see how fragile democracy is when it can  be  legally influenced by constant bare-faced lying.   Add a big spoonful of  corruption to the Russian process, and you've got a president for life.

Geoff Kilpatrick

So Putin wants Ukraine to be militarily neutral while his gangster mate in Minsk is allowing nuclear weapons next door! :cornette:

2 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

It's a fast moving situation, pretty sure the right thing will get done...

I hope so, JJ. I just wish our *first* reaction was the humane one.

5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

A couple of days ago, the Russian state-owned RIA-Novosti news agency published an article congratulating Russia on solving the Ukrainian issue by having incorporated Ukraine back into a greater Russia. A bit premature, it was quickly deleted from the web site. However, below is an English translation of the article. It gives an insight into the aim of Putin, namely the acting of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus "as a single whole".

I was going to mention this. One look at that tells you all you need to know about his plans for dealing with the "Ukraine question".  I cannot for the life of me see what any negotiations are going to achieve given that crazy statement and the fact Macron was told today by Putin he basically wants the total surrender of Ukraine. 

5 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

For one thing, we're a permanent member of the UN Security Council. You can't get much more policeman than that. We have obligations to our fellow UN members, of which the Ukraine is one.

49 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

If Putin wants the  denazification of Ukraine' then he should support them joining the EU.

And stop being a fascist. 

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

I hear you on that one!

I sit astounded by the consensus and unanimity shown by the global community, governing isn't easy particularly in today's world.

Just now, redjambo said:

Patel is a horrible person, she really is. That reason about not wanting Russian infiltrators reaching the UK must be a joke? They're already here. They own our football clubs, have children at elite schools and are in the house of Lords. You sold them golden visas you daft mare.

12 minutes ago, redjambo said:

That’s insightful and depressing. Are we misjudging Russia’s intent because we judge them by our own morals? 

15 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

E9EA4E23-2897-49D5-92E7-B7FE107E4706.jpeg

E0986DB2-3E99-4D7E-B908-94A3A23EF120.jpeg

6D5147F4-63D8-49F0-B0D1-EE2E9E1CD420.jpeg

Just now, Des Lynam said:

That’s insightful and depressing. Are we misjudging Russia’s intent because we judge them by our own morals? 

As someone mentioned on this thread earlier, Germany bore a distinct grudge after the nature of their capitulation and subsequent treatment at the end of WW1, a grudge which festered until it finally created the conditions for WW2. The news agency article almost mimics that situation, but with Russia feeling humiliated after the break-up of the Soviet Union and with a festering desire to regain its glory days (Aberdeen supporters looking in may well empathise with that). If that's so, we may have to work as a global community to help Russia into a better place, one in which it will be more confident in itself without wanting to go back to the past. I'm not so sure that this is achievable without a change of regime though.

21 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

😉    Maybe Uri Geller could get it to land on the Kremlin... if he put his mind to it :whistling:

24 minutes ago, redjambo said:

That is a very good question, LS. The UK and the EU, for example, would probably still have responded in like fashion, but would Trump have climbed aboard with NATO's reaction and with the SWIFT move? A moot point now, but I'm not so sure he would have. You could argue that Putin missed his chance.

Yep.  Dictators seem to get on alarmingly well with other dictators, so it's not beyond belief to think Trump would have just played down the whole thing as the tanks were rolling in.   "That Zelensky guy ... he's a comedian, right ?  Maybe he can tell some jokes to Putin.   Anyway,  I made way more money on  a single Apprentice show than he's made in his whole life. "

As you say, the US was already de-stabilised in late 2020 & early 2021 - would probably have suited Putin better.

37 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

That Donald Trump.

He didn’t though. 

12 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Putin started moving in powerful circles during Yeltsin's time.   His KGB "achievements"   (which probably involved suppressing & removing  dissidents) probably helped his rise up into  the inner circles of power.   

What actually helped him gain power was helping his old friend and mentor Anatoly Sobchak flee to Paris from the wrath of Yeltsin. This act of loyalty was seen as favourable by Yeltsin who brought Putin further into his circle. Anatoly returned when Putin was in power only to become problematic to his old chum and to die in mysterious circumstances. 

Francis Albert

I think we should remember that the US UK and EU and of course Ukraine are the good guys here. Overall I think their response has  been pretty much spot on. I am not sure what more they could have done.

And I am not sure what speculating about what Trump would have done achieves. That he was President is of course crazy but he was voted out. And for all his faults he killed fewer people abroad than most presidents in the last 100 odd years. 

8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

As someone mentioned on this thread earlier, Germany bore a distinct grudge after the nature of their capitulation and subsequent treatment at the end of WW1, a grudge which festered until it finally created the conditions for WW2. The news agency article almost mimics that situation, but with Russia feeling humiliated after the break-up of the Soviet Union and with a festering desire to regain its glory days (Aberdeen supporters looking in may well empathise with that). If that's so, we may have to work as a global community to help Russia into a better place, one in which it will be more confident in itself without wanting to go back to the past. I'm not so sure that this is achievable without a change of regime though.

I think the problem with that is we are blind to our own misdeeds but others are not. We have marched into several countries to change regimes under the banner of democratic change. We can’t be that naive that others might not see it the same way. The moral high ground that we seem to hold is just as dangerous for the world as Russia’s current and future decisions. 

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

The speed and efficiency suggests that a fair amount of prior planning had been done behind the scenes for such an eventuality.

The 'SWIFT' work had been done a week before the invasion. Just need code switched on as it's dormant at the moment.

Writing was on the wall and sanctions were always going to come.

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

I think the problem with that is we are blind to our own misdeeds but others are not. We have marched into several countries to change regimes under the banner of democratic change. We can’t be that naive that others might not see it the same way. The moral high ground that we seem to hold is just as dangerous for the world as Russia’s current and future decisions. 

I think that's bollocks. The polity of the UK targets British incompetence or inconsistency probably more than any developed country in the world. It doesn't mean its government does that though.

1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

What actually helped him gain power was helping his old friend and mentor Anatoly Sobchak flee to Paris from the wrath of Yeltsin. This act of loyalty was seen as favourable by Yeltsin who brought Putin further into his circle. Anatoly returned when Putin was in power only to become problematic to his old chum and to die in mysterious circumstances. 

Interesting details, Des.   Poor judgement by Yeltsin though ..... didn't he have deteriorating health in his  final year and resigned ?      In my lifetime,  Gorbachev is the only one who seemed to have an air of humanity which rose above the austere image Russian Presidents  had.

56 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

That Donald Trump.

The same Trump who:
- praises Putin,
- hired Manafort as campaign manager after he worked to help Putin's puppet and convicted crook Viktor Yanukovych & his party in Ukraine
- follows the same fascism-101 playbook as Putin (authored by Alexandr Dugin, Putin's political strategist)
- hired Steve Bannon, who is an adherent of Dugin's who he has met with, and is a leading light for the alt-right and their desire to install a home-grown fascism

Could go on but you get the jist of just how closely-knit Trump and his posse are with Putin, whom they openly admire for maintaining his grip on power - you don't even need to watch the obvious "Padawan" body language so-called "alpha" dog Trump exhibits when Putin is in the room.

The irony that the "culture war" has basically masked an actual proxy-war between the US left & right fought in Ukraine (worth looking into why Biden's son was in Ukraine), is so far-fetched it wouldn't be accepted as a Black Mirror screen-play. 

As always, the battles in US politics and US v Russia are played out in a country, ultimately at great cost,  that could have done well with neither side sticking their neb in.  

Edited by Gizmo

13 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

True but his war chests must be going down at some rate of knots and the longer it drags on at £15billion a day it won't take too long to deplete them completely.

I've seen this £15 billion per day figure a few times, but where does it come from?  That suggests that every day in Ukraine is costing the Russians almost one-third of their annual military expenditure - or about 25 times the daily cost to the Americans of the interventions in Afghanistan and Iraq combined.  Something doesn't seem to add up.

Just now, Ulysses said:

I've seen this £15 billion per day figure a few times, but where does it come from?  That suggests that every day in Ukraine is costing the Russians almost one-third of their annual military expenditure - or about 25 times the daily cost to the Americans of the interventions in Afghanistan and Iraq combined.  Something doesn't seem to add up.

Sorry, about 33 times the daily cost to the Americans of the interventions in Afghanistan and Iraq combined. 

This is very much an aside.  But Fort Riley, a major US armed forces base, today started serving crab and steak in their troops' canteens.  US government only ever gives such largesse if bad news is coming.  Expect some  US troop deployment in the next few days - not to Ukraine i would imagine, but certainly to the eastern Nato allies, or Alaska/pacific.

5 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

This is very much an aside.  But Fort Riley, a major US armed forces base, today started serving crab and steak in their troops' canteens.  US government only ever gives such largesse if bad news is coming.  Expect some  US troop deployment in the next few days - not to Ukraine i would imagine, but certainly to the eastern Nato allies, or Alaska/pacific.

There was a story the other day about US forces being available to evacuate the Ukrainian President. 

13 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Sez who?

There's been a purely symbolic application from Ukraine today to join the EU.

They're not getting membership.

Jeffros Furios
37 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Riho Terras  a Estonian MEP shared info stating the war was costing Russia  $20 billion a day 

He posted it on his twitter account  on Saturday along with other intel he had received .

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Can anyone see a solution that would be mutually acceptable to both Ukraine and Russia? I certainly don't.

Give them France?

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

No idea of the source just read it in several papers/news sites.  Maybe it's 15 billion Rubles a day? That would work out at about £105million.