Russia Invades Ukraine

Greenbank2

No significant breakthroughs in the Ukrainian-Russian talks today but both parties agree to meet again at some point over the next few days.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• JFK-1

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Taffin said:

It's actually a really nice thing to do...I'm just tight arsed tosser 😂😂

No even buy yersel a drink, Taf. :D

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

It's actually a really nice thing to do...I'm just the tight arsed tosser 😂😂

Oh come on, Taffin, you're not tight arsed. ;)

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

No, I'd like to retire too and I'll be keeping every penny to make it happen 😂

Squeak is your new nickname. Yer that tight, you squeak when you walk. 😆

7 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Bully for you, champ. 👍

Chocolate watch on its way.

You hate being pulled up for posting shite don't you? Maybe this forum isn't the best place for you, Hibs have got one chock full of clowns, try there champ. 

il Duce McTarkin
1 minute ago, graygo said:

You hate being pulled up for posting shite don't you? Maybe this forum isn't the best place for you, Hibs have got one chock full of clowns, try there champ. 

🤣

You're a right pleasant sort, eh.

If posting shite wasn't the name of the game there'd be nobody here, so why don't you pop me on ignore and wind your neck in.

Footballfirst

Shell follows BP's lead in divesting Russian investments.

The Scottish Parliament's pension scheme apparently has shares in a sanctioned Russian bank (Sberbank).

Edited by Footballfirst

4 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

🤣

You're a right pleasant sort, eh.

If posting shite wasn't the name of the game there'd be nobody here, so why don't you pop me on ignore and wind your neck in.

Great advice, your first as it happens. 👍

il Duce McTarkin
2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Great advice, your first as it happens. 👍

Excellent, that's two chocolate watches your due.

dobmisterdobster
3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The Scottish Parliament's pension scheme apparently has shares in a sanctioned Russian bank (Sberbank).

If they haven't done so already it could be too late. I heard the Russians had banned foreigners from selling securities.

If you're interested, and got 10 minutes or so, have a read of that last article on how these central bank sanctions will absolutely destroy Russia economically. I can't see how Putin won't be removed by his own people one way or another.

Great article. 

I think it’s important that (as someone said up thread quite a bit) Putin is given an ‘out’ where he can appear to save face.  If only offered humiliation who knows what he’ll do. 
Also, when this is over we’ll need to try to engage with Russia and not do what we did to Germany at Versailles (or indeed to Russia after the dissolution of the USSR).

It is complicated. 

And there are ways out especially with gas and oil exports continuing.

But the whole economy could collapse in next few weeks with the combination of financial measures. 

42 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

FIFA/UEFA finally.

Guess they can be trusted to do the right thing but only after they have explored all other options

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Japan Jambo said:

Guess they can be trusted to do the right thing but only after they have explored all other options

UEFA also confirms that Spartak Moscow are kicked out of the Europa League + RB Leipzig go through: "As the matches between RB Leipzig and FC Spartak Moskva cannot take place, as a consequence, RB Leipzig are qualified to the quarter-finals of the competition”.

Rangers will now be wishing they had been drawn against Spartak Moscow in the EL

I must say, it's refreshing and actually surprising how harsh the sanctions have been and how much of the globe has united to hand them down.

Unprecedented economic destruction in just a few short days.

Russian rouble at historic lows.

Russian interest rates jacked up to 20%.

Russian citizens and businesses banned from moving money out of Russia.

Wars are expensive and Putin's contingency fund will very quickly get eaten through.

Then we'll see how Russia copes with nobody to sell things to or buy things from and not having a friend in the world (other than Belarus, but they barely count anyhow).

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Story on BBC News just now

Unreal.  Patel has essentially misled parliament there.  Should be hauled in to apologise.

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Story on BBC News just now

God, I hate to take the thread off-topic, but it's things like this that turned me into wanting Scottish independence. I'm not a great fan of what the UK is becoming as a country. We're losing our soul.

13 minutes ago, FWJ said:

I think it’s important that (as someone said up thread quite a bit) Putin is given an ‘out’ where he can appear to save face.  If only offered humiliation who knows what he’ll do. 
Also, when this is over we’ll need to try to engage with Russia and not do what we did to Germany at Versailles (or indeed to Russia after the dissolution of the USSR).

Might have been I.  Yes I agree that,  if he's even interested in de-escalation,  an 'out' could be agreed and orchestated.  Something to allow him to wind his neck in while claiming success for his objectives.

The earlier story about the Russian spokesman saying that the nuclear alert was done in response to Truss's comment is in itself a little inkling of de-escalation from Putin.  To explain such a serious move on a specific comment from a specific (minor) official implies that further escalation is not likely,  so long as officials cease their rhetoric.

De-escalation with virtually no visible compromise.  

5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

What will UEFA/FIFA do about Belarus though?

Indeed. But some teams may refuse to play Belarus. Better to think ahead and ban Belarus now, rather than look stupid, which the football authorities undoubtedly will when the issue arises. The general consensus politically is that Belarus are in this with Russia.

1 minute ago, Cade said:

I must say, it's refreshing and actually surprising how harsh the sanctions have been and how much of the globe has united to hand them down.

Unprecedented economic destruction in just a few short days.

Russian rouble at historic lows.

Russian interest rates jacked up to 20%.

Russian citizens and businesses banned from moving money out of Russia.

Wars are expensive and Putin's contingency fund will very quickly get eaten through.

Then we'll see how Russia copes with nobody to sell things to or buy things from and not having a friend in the world (other than Belarus, but they barely count anyhow).

The cohesion and unity has been good and will hopefully pose immediate as well as longer term problems for Putin, but he is very single-minded so we still need to be mindful of how much suffering he will happily inflict on his people to allow him to pursue his goals. 

Desperation might not demoralise him into a quick compromise - it might trigger more beligerence. I accept that it is a weapon in our collective arsenal that we can deploy and should, though.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Unreal.  Patel has essentially misled parliament there.  Should be hauled in to apologise.

5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

God, I hate to take the thread off-topic, but it's things like this that turned me into wanting Scottish independence. I'm not a great fan of what the UK is becoming as a country. We're losing our soul.

There is never, ever a sense of empathy or humanity with our government, just a resigned "do we have to" face-saving, half-arsed effort. But is it new? Really, it seems to me we have a reputation for this in the UK - like doing the dirty on the Cossacks or Polish Airmen after WWII, the Windrush citizens, the Iraqi translators, the airlift of animals over vulnerable Afghanistans friendly to us after the withdrawal. I bet there's a lot more times where we just didn't give a ****. 

I don't disagree that it feels worse, lately, and its hard to have any pride in this country if we are viewed by our actions, as this government is shot through with a streak of cruel malice, with officials and ministers hiding their predjudices or inability to give a shit behind bureaucracy that they could easily suspend/dismiss, if the will was there. 

il Duce McTarkin
21 minutes ago, graygo said:

It's "you're", like "you're a prick".

Hark at her. 😄

You're almost as grumpy as wee Uncle Vlad.

I thought you were going to deply the Graygo nuclear option and hit the ignore button.

Don't miss, now.

il Duce McTarkin
15 minutes ago, jonesy said:

The speed and efficiency suggests that a fair amount of prior planning had been done behind the scenes for such an eventuality.

I'd imagine these things are modelled fairly regularly. 

Despite the goons who appear to be in charge of our countries, there are cool and cooperative heads working the backstage. 

My demands, by Vladimir Putin (age 69)

Ukraine isn't allowed to have any armed forces
Ukraine isn't allowed to make any defence pacts (NATO)

Ukraine isn't allowed to make any political pacts (EU)

Ukraine must live in constant fear of Russian invasion forever

Oh, and same goes for Finland.

........And he expects anybody to accept this??? :cornette:

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

It maybe possible.  Finland and Austria walked a very fine line in 1945 to ensure they ended up west of the Iron Curtain, had to make quite a few compromises and stay neutral.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

"we're not taking in fleeing Ukrainians just in case they're actually Russian agents"

Feck off, Truss.

And Patel, you can get in the sea tae.

Pricks.

Christ - did she actually say that ?      As if there's absolutely no Russian agents living here already ..... :facepalm:

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

"... neutral status" is in direct contradiction to Putin's belief that Ukraine is part of Russia.  Looks like an opening position rather than red lines but that contradiction will represent a problem somewhere down the line to any future Ukrainian state,  neutral or otherwise.

Pasquale for King

Such a sad and avoidable situation, you can’t help but feel sorry for the Ukrainian people. The Russian people are going up suffer also, as are their sports stars, through no real fault of their own. 

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

We live in hope that although diplomacy has failed so far that some solution can be found 🤞

7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Well, Putin has failed miserably in his demand  to demilitarise Ukraine !!  🙄     Although he'll no doubt blame Truss for the huge increase in weaponry and armed personnel in Ukraine, which wouldn't have happened if he hadn't invaded.

A cynic might wonder if the word "demilitarising" has a different meaning in Russia.  :whistling:

Just now, Lone Striker said:

Well, Putin has failed miserably in his demand  to demilitarise Ukraine !!  🙄     Although he'll no doubt blame Truss for the huge increase in weaponry and armed personnel in Ukraine, which wouldn't have happened if he hadn't invaded.

A cynic might wonder if the word "demilitarising" has a different meaning in Russia.  :whistling:

I suspect that, as out of touch with reality as he might be, if Putin were given the chance to wind back a few weeks and change his decision to invade Ukraine, he would probably do so. He has opened up a real Pandora's box here on several fronts.

The multiple,  unrelated,  contra reasons for his actions is probably quite deliberate.  It makes it much harder for his opponents to second guess his gameplan.  You would need to know his actual motivations from his bullshit,  or at least know which are his priorities.

kingantti1874
23 minutes ago, redjambo said:

no I can’t, and this is why this is a massive concern. I’m struggling to see how it doesn’t escalate fast

3 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

I see the compare the Meerkat ads have been banned. That will surely tip the balance. 

As far as I see, Comparethemarket has decided itself not to show its adverts around news bulletins on the Ukrainian situation. It's trying to protect its image. No ban.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/compare-market-advert-meerkat-russia-ukraine-b2024999.html

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

As far as I see, Comparethemarket has decided itself not to show its adverts around news bulletins on the Ukrainian situation. It's trying to protect its image. No ban.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/compare-market-advert-meerkat-russia-ukraine-b2024999.html

Jumping before they're pushed.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

I suspect that, as out of touch with reality as he might be, if Putin were given the chance to wind back a few weeks and change his decision to invade Ukraine, he would probably do so. He has opened up a real Pandora's box here on several fronts.

You could be right, although the guy is such a slippery liar that no-one seems able to second-guess whats going through his mind.   Another weird  clip they showed today of him meeting 2 of his military top-brass - he looked almost flippant,   rambling on about raising the stakes.   1 of the 2 generals looked rather worried.   

I  wonder what Trump's response would have been if this had happened on his watch.    2 out-of-control mad dictators with no respect for law & order., who only care about their ego/wealth/power.

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Cheap deals have disappeared anyway just now.