Russia Invades Ukraine

Greenbank2

5 hours ago, redjambo said:

Placing them directly under a tactical nuclear explosion might just do the trick.

That might actually cook the pastry properly too.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• JFK-1

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'd get out alive alright, I'd take the wife with me, even the mercenaries wouldn't tackle her!

Harsh I'm sure, but did make me laugh 

Shooter McGavin
3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

It's worrying what Putin's plan will be once all these conscripts meet their maker in the next few months. It's clear that he's not going to withdraw, NATO countries will up their support, so what's next level of escalation? 

Someone needs to shoot Putin soon. 

This.

If Russias best equipped and highest trained troops got their arses handed to them, then wtf is sending circa 300k laddies that don’t want to be there going to do?

How many bloody noses can a fud like Putin take before he’s letting nukes off?

Edited by Shooter McGavin

4 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I honestly don't think he'll do or be allowed to do that, nobody in his gazillionare group of friends want to live in an underground bunker, he'll be "removed" before that, I think?

1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

This.

If Russias best equipped and highest trained troops got their arses handed to them, then wtf is sending circa 300k laddies that don’t want to be there going to do?

Good question. 

They are saying Putin himself is directing military operations. It is true that in many cases since March Russia has lacked numbers. So he will have come to the conclusion more numbers are the answer. 

But this ignores how to train then when most trainers are in Ukraine. Someone made a good point earlier about it taking 2 years to train properly traditionally. 

I think more numbers will help up to the point they start getting slaughtered. 

5 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

This.

It's also not like he's sending them all the way around the globe. I imagine the more conscripts hit the line, the Ukrainians will start using drones to drop leaflets over the lines over exactly how to surrender and what you'll get. A lot of the conscripts will be from not far away, and Russians can and do function perfectly fine in Ukrainian society in peacetime.

Desertion will be an enormous problem for the Russians I think.

il Duce McTarkin
2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I hope so. The fewer young men fighting against their will that have to die, the better.

Ukrainians being conscripted into Russian forces. If I was forced into fighting for England against Scotland. I'd empty my gun into everyone I could and so would every not Hoosers. Why would Ukrainians not do this to Russians. Weird idea .

5 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

It's also not like he's sending them all the way around the globe. I imagine the more conscripts hit the line, the Ukrainians will start using drones to drop leaflets over the lines over exactly how to surrender and what you'll get. A lot of the conscripts will be from not far away, and Russians can and do function perfectly fine in Ukrainian society in peacetime.

Ukraine have a phone number that Russians can call to surrender. I dont think the 300k new guys will be front line troops, They might be used to free up troops elsewhere and work in the rear, Would be stupid to send in these guys most of them would surrender right away.

It's getting more and more difficult to see a good ending to this. 

Once the results of the sham referenda are confirmed, these areas will, in Putin's eyes, be part of Russia. He won't care if the International community reject it.

He has pledged to his people that nuclear weapons will be available for use if there is an attack on 'Russian' soil.

We can't however allow him to succeed in these areas though and simply back off. He will just rinse and repeat the process in other areas, gradually taking over further parts of Ukraine. Yes Ukraine has fought magnificently well but they would eventually be overpowered through sheer weight of numbers and Russia's nuclear threat.

The West needs to call Putin's bluff. Dangerous stuff for all of us, when they have the power to destroy us with the press of a button. We need to maintain support for Ukraine even if it means helping them attack the stolen areas. 

There will be Russian generals at the moment getting twitchy. They understand the consequences of any nuclear usage by Putin. No point taking over small parts of Ukraine to have large parts of Russia itself obliterated by a massive NATO response.

We need to hope somewhere in Russia sanity will prevail because I believe only they can end this madman's ambitions.

2 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

It's getting more and more difficult to see a good ending to this. 

Once the results of the sham referenda are confirmed, these areas will, in Putin's eyes, be part of Russia. He won't care if the International community reject it.

He has pledged to his people that nuclear weapons will be available for use if there is an attack on 'Russian' soil.

We can't however allow him to succeed in these areas though and simply back off. He will just rinse and repeat the process in other areas, gradually taking over further parts of Ukraine. Yes Ukraine has fought magnificently well but they would eventually be overpowered through sheer weight of numbers and Russia's nuclear threat.

The West needs to call Putin's bluff. Dangerous stuff for all of us, when they have the power to destroy us with the press of a button. We need to maintain support for Ukraine even if it means helping them attack the stolen areas. 

There will be Russian generals at the moment getting twitchy. They understand the consequences of any nuclear usage by Putin. No point taking over small parts of Ukraine to have large parts of Russia itself obliterated by a massive NATO response.

We need to hope somewhere in Russia sanity will prevail because I believe only they can end this madman's ambitions.

There has already been attacks in Crimea and he's done nothing.

Scary times though. Where does he use a nuke anyway? Wouldn't make much sense using one on Ukraine. 

4 hours ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

I hope so. The fewer young men fighting against their will that have to die, the better.

Yeah, I feel for these young Russian conscripts. 

Some of the chat on this thread flippantly and gleefully predicting their demise makes me feel uneasy.

As always, young men being forced to fight wars for powerful old men, and dying gruesome agonising deaths, as they cry for their mums. 

17 minutes ago, Hansel said:

Yeah, I feel for these young Russian conscripts. 

Some of the chat on this thread flippantly and gleefully predicting their demise makes me feel uneasy.

As always, young men being forced to fight wars for powerful old men, and dying gruesome agonising deaths, as they cry for their mums. 

It's shite chat to be honest. 

The vast majority of them will not want to be there. 

I'm actually hoping that most of the conscripts surrender.

Give their equipment to the Ukrainian army.

Then tell their story to the world.

Expose Putin as the maniac we all know he is.

Show the Russian people the truth rather than the alternate reality they're force fed at home.

These new conscripts should be seen as victims.

Wagner, Chechens, Sudenese and all the other militias are a different matter.

Every one of them should be put in the ground.

10 minutes ago, Cade said:

I think it's Wagner that are in Sudan, isn't it?

1 hour ago, indianajones said:

It's shite chat to be honest. 

The vast majority of them will not want to be there. 

Agreed

Shite state of affairs to be in

15 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I think it's Wagner that are in Sudan, isn't it?

The Sudanese have sent some boys up to Ukraine as part of the deal.

Russia has been doing that a lot in this conflict.

I think there are some Syrians knocking about too.

Wagner helps you in your civil war, Russia demands a tribute of militia to operate in Ukraine.

25 minutes ago, Cade said:

Show the Russian people the truth rather than the alternate reality they're force fed at home.

Only problem with them surrendering and telling their story is that might leave their family at home exposed and possibly sent to gulags

23 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

It'll be ammunition that could be a problem, it was chambered in 7.62×54mmR, I'm not sure what the availability of that cartridge is now a days.

Question, do I bullets have a shelf life and if so do they become unstable if fired? Cheers in advance.

4 minutes ago, tightrope said:

Question, do I bullets have a shelf life and if so do they become unstable if fired? Cheers in advance.

i would imagine (i dont actually know) but would be down to the integrity of the bullets as i imagine bullets with wet gunpowder in them wont fire correctly or at all

13 minutes ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

Imagine getting handed this and told to go and fight. They really are scraping the barrel now for weapons.

To be fair, from what little I know of guns, if that's an AK it probably still works fine. 

18 minutes ago, tightrope said:

Just for info. The bullet is the bit that leaves the barrel of the gun. I suppose the correct name for the purposes of this discussion is “rounds” or “rounds of ammunition”. 

Modern rounds don’t have a shelf life. Well I say that they might if you left them 100+ years and even then I suspect they would still go bang. 

Modern propellants (the stuff that ignites and provides the bang) are vastly superior to the powders they had in WW2 days. 

Clean burning, highly efficient and fast burning propellants have pushed the levels of performance on modern rifles way past the levels the old powders were capable of.

Ammunition that is showing signs of compromise ie pitting to the brass loose primers or loose heads etc should never be fired.

Curious thing just now after a lot of European countries don't want Russians to come over border. Asking why they come now but not protest against the war. Main route Georgia it seems as no Visa needed. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Dusk_Till_Dawn
14 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Absolute bollocks, should make them stay and actually take responsibility for what’s going on in their country.

18 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Absolute bollocks, should make them stay and actually take responsibility for what’s going on in their country.

Its a dictatorship though they are not responsible 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Its a dictatorship though they are not responsible 

Did anyone ever make social progress in a country by just sodding off elsewhere?

2 hours ago, Cade said:

The Sudanese have sent some boys up to Ukraine as part of the deal.

Russia has been doing that a lot in this conflict.

I think there are some Syrians knocking about too.

Wagner helps you in your civil war, Russia demands a tribute of militia to operate in Ukraine.

I had no idea actual Sudanese were fighting on the Russian side. Do you have a link to more info? Syrians I can believe.

39 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Somalia ≠ Sudan, and it's just a moniker for a DNPR battalion rather than being actual Somalians fighting. But thanks for the link, Cruyff. :thumb:

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Interesting also on the role of Telegram

Telegram has been a great resource for us wanting to know what is happening too

The news channels here have been hopeless since the first couple of weeks 

15 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Telegram has been a great resource for us wanting to know what is happening too

The news channels here have been hopeless since the first couple of weeks 

Yeah. 

Just bear in mind Ukraine Government is operating strict censorship on reporting. 

2 hours ago, tightrope said:

Traditional gunpowder (black powder) does to a certain extent. It's ludicrously easy to make, I do it all the time. It's a mix of (typically willow) charcoal, potassium nitrate and sulfur. If you leave it out, it absorbs moisture from the air and gets ruined. Modern powder (as said above) is a lot better - mostly nitrocellulose based. Either way, a cartridge (charge + bullet) is sealed so it doesn't matter unless it is damaged and leaks. 

il Duce McTarkin
4 hours ago, Cade said:

Good post.

What can the Russian people realistically do though? I'd be trying to escape too. 

Gulag for 10 year, go to the frontlines of Ukraine or flee to another country. 

Easy choice. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
26 minutes ago, indianajones said:

What can the Russian people realistically do though? I'd be trying to escape too. 

Easy choice. 

Too many Russians implicitly like Putin’s tough man act and their refusal to challenge it is part of the problem. It wouldn’t matter so much if it was only Russians who were affected but it’s affecting people all over Europe. Why should other counties help them?

il Duce McTarkin
25 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Too many Russians implicitly like Putin’s tough man act and their refusal to challenge it is part of the problem.

Unfortunately there's more than an element of truth to this.

I work with Russians regularly and they appreciate the stability and relative prosperity that Putin had brought to them after the general shitshow of the 90s/2000s/etc.

They also understand that they live in a dictatorship, and that their entire families are at risk if they show any sign of subversion.

Again, they have a completely different point of departure from anything that we can realistically wrap our noodles round in anything more than a rudimentary sense, and I find it difficult to criticise your average Ivan for not having stood up to Putin up until now.

Hopefully that is about to change, but don't underestimate the abject fear in which these people live of the state apparatus.

Mac_fae_Gillie
3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah. 

Just bear in mind Ukraine Government is operating strict censorship on reporting. 

Ukraine is in all out war, giving information to the enemy is just crazy. Been a few operations carried out by UKR thx to Russian TV news been stupid in filming locations of Russia units/HQs etc that are known to Ukrainians so they bomb them about 6 weeks ago this lead to a regional command HQ been destroyed and many high ranking officers been killed. Censorship in war is vital.. Russia is not at war they are in a special military operation.

7 hours ago, tightrope said:

The powder will degrade over time, the seal between the bullet and the case can be effected and the primer can become unreliable, all parts of a bullet are perishable over time.

13 hours ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

💯 agree

7 hours ago, Norm said:

To be fair, from what little I know of guns, if that's an AK it probably still works fine. 

The Kalashinkovs are famous for their invulnerability, but I'm not sure even they can survive sitting unoiled with grime in their chambers for decades.

Shooter McGavin
5 hours ago, indianajones said:

Easy choice. 

:spoton:

You only get one life, why on earth would you give it up by dying for the sake of some gimps ego, and his utterly pointless billy big baws act.