Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• JFK-1

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Only takes half a dozen of the top generals to seize the opportunity at the right time, military coup, withdraw back to the pre invasion status, save thousands of lives, open themselves back up to the west, patch up the economy,make a pretence at some kind of faux democracy, realise it’s not really a Russian thing and another dictator steps up to the plate and rinse and repeat. The good thing is they’ve been exposed as a weak military power who will be very wary of setting foot outside their own borders for another 2 generations. The bad thing is that the Chinese will be all over them like a rash.

Just note that currently if generals seize power they will more likely inflict total war on Ukraine 

2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Just note that currently if generals seize power they will more likely inflict total war on Ukraine 

They’re hardly likely to seize power because of a war inevitably being lost and then carry on the war. They’d be seizing power to de-escalate and get rid of the guy who embarked them on this war before he asks for the codes.

8 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

I’m getting the feeling this whole sorry saga is coming to an end. 

I hope I am right.

Could be turning into a horrible stage.

Russia stage corrupt referendums saying Ukrainians want to be part of Russia.

Effectively claiming the land siezed.

Ukraine are then attacking Russian soil.

Full war declared. 

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Full war declared. 

As pointed out by RedJambo, i think. They have attacked "Russian" soil already, in the Crimea military base attacks. 

Edited by Pap

I was wondering how it may effect the Ukraine conflict, if at all, if Iran goes into meltdown. If there's revolution there and the regime is toppled that's dramatically unsettling for the entire region.

And we're going to have to keep a close eye on whatever replaces that regime if they go down.

12 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I was wondering how it may effect the Ukraine conflict, if at all, if Iran goes into meltdown. If there's revolution there and the regime is toppled that's dramatically unsettling for the entire region.

And we're going to have to keep a close eye on whatever replaces that regime if they go down.

The US has been obsessively watching Iran like a hawk for many years. 

image.jpeg.8782442477d7980843435a2a9652a146.jpeg

Russia is most likely the first and only country in the world where people flee not because someone invaded their country, but because they invaded another country.

periodictabledancer
3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Full war declared. 

Putin has already claimed Ukraine is part of Russia - that's why invaded in the first place.

The referenda work on two leverls : a propaganda win and an opportunity to hoover the the poor schmucks in those regions as "Russian" troops. 

A declaration of "full war" won't change anything on the ground. 

The Russian Clocks Are All Ticking
Putin is running out of time.

By Tom Nichols

SEPTEMBER 26, 2022, 6:57 PM ET

Vladimir Putin’s massive conscription of Russian men is yet another calamity of his own making.

A Darker Motive?

Russia continues to lose in Ukraine. A dramatic Ukrainian counteroffensive, according to President Volodymyr Zelensky, has recaptured about 2,000 square miles of territory and sent Russian forces reeling. Putin, like many authoritarians, relies on an image of personal invulnerability, and so he rightly fears the political risks of military defeat. At home, even his most loyal sycophants are demanding that he do something to stem the losses in Ukraine.

Putin has answered this call by making two foolish moves. First, he is now getting personally involved in some of the operational decisions in Ukraine; second, he has begun a conscription drive that is supposed to mobilize an additional 300,000 men into the Russian military. Both of these decisions will speed up the clocks on the many growing threats to his regime, including sanctions, social unrest, and military collapse, among others.

Putin, apparently, is now directing some of the military activity on the ground in Ukraine long-distance from Moscow—he is reported, for example, to have denied requests from some units for permission to retreat from Kherson.

Such interventions are always a risky choice for civilian leaders far removed from the battlefield. The Kremlin boss assuming command is, of course, easy fodder for Hitler-in-the-bunker memes, but even Russian imperial history should be a warning to Putin: When Tsar Nicholas II decided to assume command of the Russian empire’s forces in World War I, his own advisers warned him that personal association with failure could destroy his reign. “Consider, Sire,” one wrote to him, “what You are laying hands on—on Your own self, Sire!” (Another warned him bluntly: “The army under Your command must be victorious.”)

Putin is running the same risk. One of the many looming deadlines he faces is the onset of winter, when fighting will slow, Russian morale will sink even lower, and supply issues will worsen.

The Russian high command and its officers almost certainly want to win this war as a way to recover from the shame and dishonor of their staggering incompetence over the past seven months.

But if they lose more men and territory because of some harebrained order from Putin, will they again stand silently and take the blame?

The mobilization order is so pointless that I am left wondering who in Moscow thought it might be a good idea. It was a decision guaranteed to generate massive protests for no apparent military benefit.

There is no way for the poorly supplied and corrupt Russian military to train, house, clothe, and arm 300,000 men anytime soon, and certainly not before winter arrives. In reality, Putin doesn’t even have 300,000 men; he has roughly 300,000 names of male Russian citizens, many of whom will never set foot on a military base. As a strategic matter, this measure is pure idiocy.

One gruesome possibility, however, is that Putin and his commanders have decided simply to throw bodies at Ukraine. The generals may have resigned themselves to feeding the Ukrainian meat grinder, and think they can just dragoon non-Russian minority kids from the Russian Federation’s boondocks and thus keep the call-up limited and off of Russian televisions.

The actual implementation, however, has so far been stupendously incompetent, and protests and chaos have spread across the country.

There may, however, be a much darker motive at work here.

Putin’s fantasy of a “special military operation” to liberate fellow Slavs from a Nazi regime went to pieces in a matter of days, but many Russians remained supportive of the invasion as long as it did not touch them.

Putin’s deal with the Russian public is essentially the old Soviet social compact: Leave those in power alone, and they will leave you alone. But drafting young men to go and die in a losing war—as the Soviets learned in Afghanistan—invalidates that contract.

Sending untrained men into battle only to die may be part of Putin’s plan. He is furious about losing, and (as I wrote months ago) he has been spoiling to turn the invasion into a nationalist war against NATO as the only way to save face and motivate the Russian people to endure more sacrifices.

And therein lies Putin’s dilemma: How can he infuse that sense of fervor into Russians who couldn’t give a damn about fake republics in Luhansk or Donetsk?

The answer, for Putin, is to annex Ukrainian land while claiming that the war is now “to defend our motherland, its sovereignty and territorial integrity,” making it a holy war to protect Russia itself against Ukraine, NATO, and the entire West.

Putin then turns Ukraine into “Russia” by taking Russian men from their families, shipping them to Ukraine, getting them killed, and letting their blood soak into the dirt. He could then say, to his own people and to the world, that the buried bones of so many Russian men make Ukraine hallowed ground from which Moscow will never retreat.

Soviet leaders treated Eastern Europe the same way. In 1968, for example, Leonid Brezhnev told the leaders of then-Czechoslovakia that they had no right to rebel against the U.S.S.R., because their nations had been bought with the blood of Soviet soldiers and that forevermore their borders were also the Soviet Union’s borders.

Putin, facing failure, may be counting on the same idea—while once again refusing to learn from history.

The Russian president is facing multiple countdowns that could end in disaster, all of them set in motion by a series of his own stupid and reckless decisions that has cost thousands of lives and put world peace at risk.

There is one last mistake he has not yet made—the use of a nuclear weapon—and we can only hope that all the other clocks run out before he even considers the most dire misstep of all.

https://www.theatlantic.com/newsletters/archive/2022/09/the-russian-clocks-are-all-ticking/671564/

Russia have already been conscripting people in the two breakaway mini-regions of the Donbas.

Russia annexed Crimea in 2014 and haven't nuked anyone even though Ukraine have been bombing Crimea.

Russia just want to declare all 4 regions as Russia so they can conscript more Ukrainians into the Russian army.

Not sure they've thought that one through.

Huge opportunity for partizans to infiltrate the russian army and do all kinds of damage.

And anybody forced to join up will surely just surrender straight away and hand their kit over to Ukraine.

Putin is flailing.

He lost this war after the first week, when he failed to take Kyiv.

Mac_fae_Gillie
22 hours ago, Cade said:

Head of Russian Orthodox Church says that anybody killed in the line of duty will have their sins absolved and go to heaven.

That's nice.

He should have added virgins for all those killed action thats always a nice bonus.

Shitehawk Stalin expected to declare all 4 regions of Ukraine as Russian territory during a speech to the nation tomorrow.

He'll then try to paint his failed invasion as a defensive war from the brutal Ukrainian aggressors invading Russia.

Prick.

20 hours ago, Hansel said:

That's horrific.

Just think, that's someone's son. 😔 

So is the beef, pork, chicken etc we eat when you think about it...

BSE came about because they fed cows to other cows - so that we could then eat it later...

22 hours ago, Ked said:

Do you feel a bit uncomfortable  when you consider the west's involvement in invasions?

Not a trick question.

Just the posts on here about religious reward etc and our own who prayed before unleashing shock and awe.

Makes the Russians invasion look pathetic.

I know you weren't asking me directly but any war the US has its fingers in makes me uncomfortable. War is always a tragedy. Occasionally it's a necessary tragedy. On balance this seems like one of those but that's never a judgement I feel confident in.

20 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Only takes half a dozen of the top generals to seize the opportunity at the right time, military coup, withdraw back to the pre invasion status, save thousands of lives, open themselves back up to the west, patch up the economy,make a pretence at some kind of faux democracy, realise it’s not really a Russian thing and another dictator steps up to the plate and rinse and repeat. The good thing is they’ve been exposed as a weak military power who will be very wary of setting foot outside their own borders for another 2 generations. The bad thing is that the Chinese will be all over them like a rash.

The Russian surveillance state is absurdly extensive, though, and Putin is master of nothing if not surveillance. The half dozen top generals have to talk to each other, and finding a way to do that where they won't be surveilled I would think would drive one to a new level of paranoia.

As you say, I think the external pressures are more likely to be decisive in this instance. I can't get over what a self-inflicted wound both the invasion and the mobilization are going to be to Russian military effectiveness. Filling entire battalions with anti-war protestors and ethnic minorities who have no patriotic interest in this war seems like asking for at best an utterly toothless army and at worst like building your own armed rebellion.

Jeffros Furios
31 minutes ago, escobri said:

Now reported as an deliberate attack 🍿 

Were they jabbed ? 

Seems they're going to set up an army recruiting centre on the border with Georgia where there are currently queues literally miles long of people trying to get out.

By recruiting centre I expect them to be pretty much press ganging escapees at the border. Imagine sending these refuseniks into combat. It's a mass surrender waiting to happen.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63050880

il Duce McTarkin
8 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Seems they're going to set up an army recruiting centre on the border with Georgia where there are currently queues literally miles long of people trying to get out.

By recruiting centre I expect them to be pretty much press ganging escapees at the border. Imagine sending these refuseniks into combat. It's a mass surrender waiting to happen.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63050880

The anti-retreat detachments will be licking their lips.

2 hours ago, indianajones said:

That can't be real. 

I think it is real. The Russian "outposts" are wafer thin right across the line. These are probably the guys that were left behind long ago to hold the areas that they took initially. They've just succumbed to living like literal transients.

On 26/09/2022 at 21:16, Ked said:

I've found the daily updates of Russian deaths from western  systems of killing on here a bit off to be honest.

We can I hope all agree that Russian invasion is wrong.

But to celebrate any atrocities  is shit.

And to further that the insinuating of dumbness or cowardice amongst a population that has endured state oppression whilst ignoring our complicit war criminality speaks volumes of our absolute thickness.

And cowardice.

I'm not excusing Russia just apportioning blame to all you fekwits

A very good post

highlandjambo3
8 hours ago, Pap said:

I think it is real. The Russian "outposts" are wafer thin right across the line. These are probably the guys that were left behind long ago to hold the areas that they took initially. They've just succumbed to living like literal transients.

Russians caught with their trousers down in their lie up positions.

In terms of our Army on operations, if you are in an area for any length of time you need to set up a “harbour” area to work/administrate from.  For a platoon it’s usually triangular with a section (8 men) along each line and, a machine gun and sentries posted on the tip of each point of the triangle with, platoon HQ is in the centre.  The harbour should be hard to spot from ground and air, on raised ground and defendable (shell scrapes dug) with “stand to” positions around the triangle where each soldier goes to at any case of high alert.  All waterproof shelters are taken down just before first light and put up again in the dark, these shelters are no more than 18ins high.  The “harbour” is used as a patrol base, fighting patrols, ambushes and reconnaissance patrols sent out regularly.  The “harbour” is occupied for 3-4 days before being moved to a new location.  Well that’s the way we do it………..that Russian base looks like a camping festival site 😁……piss poor training, but we all know that now.

I think they're poorly trained and possibly poorly equipped and supplied. As for their recent mass collapse I don't think it came down to cowardice considering what happened to them as the Ukrainians made their move.

Say you're in a group of I dunno, a hundred or so men with various types of vehicles and piles of ammunition etc. lying around. Then suddenly all around you in comes a salvo of precision artillery taking out vehicles, ammo, and men by the pile.

You see this is happening not just in your location but all along a very long line and it occurs to you they're watching us right now with drones and if I stay here precision munition is going to take me out. And even if it doesn't, the Ukrainians are obviously coming and my group is already decimated.

It could have been almost suicidal to stay there. These new recruits will have even less experience and even less motivation if that were possible.

This could be a complete slaughter in the Winter when their ability to move is going to be limited. While drones watch them night and day.

Malinga the Swinga
43 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

IMG_20220928_122706.jpg

Gorgeous George. I'd forgotten about that piece of shit. 

Best argument for late termination I've seen in a long time.

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

Sawdust Caesar

This is great, Solovyov is one of the Kremlin mouthpieces who in the past has accused others of cowardice but he has been served call-up papers and is shitting himself. He gets called out on his own show and takes a hissy fit.

14 minutes ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

This is great, Solovyov is one of the Kremlin mouthpieces who in the past has accused others of cowardice but he has been served call-up papers and is shitting himself. He gets called out on his own show and takes a hissy fit.

Their culture is all bravado

So their thinking is:

"We're losing the war, so let's round up everybody we don't like and send them to the front with the express intent of getting them all killed"

:rofl:

20 minutes ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

Send the ethnic minorities. And Russia is claiming it's fighting nazis? They don't do irony the fascist Russian wee scamps.

Malinga the Swinga
9 minutes ago, Mister T said:

Send the ethnic minorities. And Russia is claiming it's fighting nazis? They don't do irony the fascist Russian wee scamps.

Presumably the woman doesn't like art students or street musicians either.

AlphonseCapone
12 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Presumably the woman doesn't like art students or street musicians either.

I found myself nodding at that one.... 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

il Duce McTarkin
2 hours ago, Barack said:

My mum died this year, of a sudden heart attack.

He lives on still. 

Life, eh. 😐

Sorry to hear this, bud.