Should Scotland be an independent country?

Alex Kintner

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

505 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don’t know/ Abstain/ Spoil ballot

JudyJudyJudy
35 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

We had a vote in 2014 where one of the biggest cards played was scotland had to vote yes to stay in the eu. That had quite an influence on the result. 

We had another vote where the results were nfluenced by promises of £300m per week going back to the NHS. That led to Brexit. Quite a material change of circumstances. 

So whether you like her or not and for me the jury is out, it's kinda hard not to see why she would like to use democratic process to revisit these issues.  That's not control-freakery or clinging onto power. She wants to right what she legitimately sees as wrongs.

Whether she is going about it in the best way is another story. 

The vote in 2014 was about Indy. It was not a vote about staying in the EU . If anyone voted yes for that reason they don’t deserve to vote again ! Dearie me . What “ influence” did it have on the vote ? Any evidence for that ? I’m not bothered if there is another vote . I’m not getting involved in the squabbles over an imaginary line on a map . 

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• JudyJudyJudy

• jack D and coke

• The Mighty Thor

skinnybob72

Bear in mind that if NS leads Scotland to independence and it all goes tits up she’s likely rich enough to bugger off and live elsewhere. Most won’t. 

Bear in mind that if Boris Johnson continues to make the UK go tits up, he's rich enough to bugger off and live elsewhere. Most won't.

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

The vote in 2014 was about Indy. It was not a vote about staying in the EU . If anyone voted yes for that reason they don’t deserve to vote again ! Dearie me . What “ influence” did it have on the vote ? Any evidence for that ? I’m not bothered if there is another vote . I’m not getting involved in the squabbles over an imaginary line on a map . 

For someone who says they’re not getting involved every day you’re getting quite involved james :lol: 

skinnybob72
10 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Bear in mind that if Boris Johnson continues to make the UK go tits up, he's rich enough to bugger off and live elsewhere. Most won't.

Touché. 

Unknown user
11 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I believe they call it doing a Farage.

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

The vote in 2014 was very much fluenced by No campaign warnings about losing our place in the EU. Otherwise they wouldn't have hammered that point in every message. 

And removing people's democratic right to vote because of their gullibility is an interesting concept. 

I'm also glad you don't like getting involved in petty squabbles. That will serve you well 

I would add that as one of the cornerstones of the Better Together campaign was the EU membership. Now I do understand it was not all about that and there were other factors, but to just dismiss it is misguided IMO.

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, micole said:

I would add that as one of the cornerstones of the Better Together campaign was the EU membership. Now I do understand it was not all about that and there were other factors, but to just dismiss it is misguided IMO.

I can’t believe people can’t remember that. Every single debate I seen or listened to that was mentioned. 

i wish jj was my dad
19 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I can’t believe people can’t remember that. Every single debate I seen or listened to that was mentioned. 

Yip. But let's get back to the important issues like Elsie's accent, sexualitu and thin lips rather than petty squabbles. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

For someone who says they’re not getting involved every day you’re getting quite involved james :lol: 

Oh I like getting my oar in now and again . I’m more meaning I’m no passionate about it like I was in 2014 . Indy marches and heated debates galore . I’m a neutral so enjoying it more now .,

52 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Correct. It was absolutely key to their campaign.

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

I believe they call it doing a Farage.

The very mention of that cretin's name makes my blood boil.

i wish jj was my dad
9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Correct. It was absolutely key to their campaign.

Show us the evidence but.. no that I care. I stay out of petty squabbles and heated debate now. 

jack D and coke
22 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Oh I like getting my oar in now and again . I’m more meaning I’m no passionate about it like I was in 2014 . Indy marches and heated debates galore . I’m a neutral so enjoying it more now .,

Haha ok mate I’ll be sure to mention it if you do then 😉

Being honest I don’t think it’s possible to post on this subject and it not get a bit heated from time to time. It’s an emotional issue for lots of people no matter what angle you’re coming from. 
It’s a couple of days old and the nonsense I’ve seen already 🤪😂

Unknown user
1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Yip. But let's get back to the important issues like Elsie's accent, sexualitu and thin lips rather than petty squabbles. 

It is what it is, unionists will have you believe brexit's forgotten about, Tories Bad isn't a really important point, that England might not vote them in yet again.

Instead it'll be attacks on the SNP, Sturgeon, mud slung everywhere, anything to avoid the central point - should Scotland be an independent country?

i wish jj was my dad
8 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Being honest I don’t think it’s possible to post on this subject and it not get a bit heated from time to time. It’s an emotional issue for lots of people no matter what angle you’re coming from. 

Not necessarily on this thread but I'm a quisling on one hand and a rabid braveheart on the other. 

Bottom line is politicians from all sides over promise and would sell their granny for my vote but couldn't give a flying xxxx about delivering on those promises.  We shouldn't lose sight of that. 

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Not necessarily on this thread but I'm a quisling on one hand and a rabid braveheart on the other. 

Bottom line is politicians from all sides over promise and would sell their granny for my vote but couldn't give a flying xxxx about delivering on those promises.  We shouldn't lose sight of that. 

:lol: the names for everyone are amusing I have to admit. I’m partial to throwing the odd one about at times I won’t lie😬

Agree with your points tho, I don’t live in an echo chamber either and my mates are on both sides although it’s barely ever really discussed. Only place it ever seems to crop up in every bloody thread is on here :lol: 

i wish jj was my dad
15 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It is what it is, unionists will have you believe brexit's forgotten about, Tories Bad isn't a really important point, that England might not vote them in yet again.

Instead it'll be attacks on the SNP, Sturgeon, mud slung everywhere, anything to avoid the central point - should Scotland be an independent country?i

Not disagreeing but yes have plenty of bampots on their side too. 

Yes, the lies about brexit, racism and contemptuous disregard for democracy and law have sunk the credibility of the current UKG to the status of a banana Republic but SG are not exactly a pillar of decency right now either. They know the damage they are about to cause but they see it as collateral damage. Definitely, not in my name. 

Your final point is refreshing. Should we be? If the rabids from both sides could focus on the question rather than chucking shite at folk who legitimately disagree with them or even want to explore the case for both sides before making up their minds we might actually present ourselves as the grown up, progressive country we should all aspire to be. Alas, you and I both know that won't happen. 

Edited by i wish jj was my dad

JudyJudyJudy
37 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I know imagine what’s it’s going to be like with her “ official “ Indy thread if anc When a date is announced lol 😂 

Unknown user
15 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Not disagreeing but yes have plenty of bampots on their side too. 

Yes, the lies about brexit, racism and contemptuous disregard for democracy and law have sunk the credibility of the current UKG to the status of a banana Republic but SG are not exactly a pillar of decency right now either. They know the damage they are about to cause but they see it as collateral damage. Definitely, not in my name. 

Your final point is refreshing. Should we be? If the rabids from both sides could focus on the question rather than chucking shite at folk who legitimately disagree with them or even want to explore the case for both sides before making up their minds we might actually present ourselves as the grown up, progressive country we should all aspire to be. Alas, you and I both know that won't happen. 

There's a very important distinction to make - the Scottish government are irrelevant in this, they're not one of the options.

The actual options we need to weigh up are, on one hand, stick with the floundering, corrupt nation whose electorate let us down time and time again, or be an independent nation.

The current Scottish government's performance has nothing to do with this - Westminster's has though.

JudyJudyJudy
38 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Actually couple of things in the last week or so have sickened me regarding the Tories , the possible leaving the ECHR and the possible selling off housing association houses . That’s not a society I want to be in  really . 

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Actually couple of things in the last week or so have sickened me regarding the Tories , the possible leaving the ECHR and the possible selling off housing association houses . That’s not a society I want to be in  really . 

Johnson is like nothing we’ve ever had to deal with before and you can bet your last pound the English electorate would vote him back in too. Some Scottish also without a doubt would like it. 
I see people on here defending him too it’s hard to know what’s happened. 
I’ll be honest I hope he stays. If Scotland is to break free we’ll never have a better chance than with him at the helm.
It’ll never end either this stuff will just keep coming, he thinks none of the rules apply to him. 

Edited by jack D and coke

i wish jj was my dad
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

There's a very important distinction to make - the Scottish government are irrelevant in this, they're not one of the options.

The actual options we need to weigh up are, on one hand, stick with the floundering, corrupt nation whose electorate let us down time and time again, or be an independent nation.

The current Scottish government's performance has nothing to do with this - Westminster's has though.

I'm not so sure I agree. You can't use that for one side and not the other. I'd prefer to be independent and the current ukg are bent as three pound notes but I don't believe the UK in itself is corrupt. At least not yet. 

Rightly or wrong the SNP are the only insight into what a properly independent Scotland might look like. Their manifestos and PFG's promise the earth but they don't think too much about what it might take to deliver.  They certainly don't want to pay for it. 

i wish jj was my dad
4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Johnson is like nothing we’ve ever had to deal with before and you can bet your last pound the English electorate would vote him back in too. Some Scottish also without a doubt would like it. 
I see people on here defending him too it’s hard to know what’s happened. 
I’ll be honest I hope he stays. If Scotland is to break free we’ll never have a better chance than with him at the helm.
It’ll never end either this stuff will just keep coming, he thinks none of the rules apply to him. 

I'd rather Johnson was gone and we installed a UKG that gave a **** about the national interest. We might then be able to have a mature debate about what a successful Scotland might look like. Instead folk are just desperate for anything that gets them away from that corrupt shower of w***ers. No matter the cost. Being desperate is not a good place to start. 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I'd rather Johnson was gone and we installed a UKG that gave a **** about the national interest. We might then be able to have a mature debate about what a successful Scotland might look like. Instead folk are just desperate for anything that gets them away from that corrupt shower of w***ers. No matter the cost. Being desperate is not a good place to start. 

Im not desperate. If I was for the union I’d be really desperate that he was removed. 
Instead they troll us about the *****. 
I make no apologies for wishing him a long premiership. Or long enough that is :lol: 

i wish jj was my dad
10 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Im not desperate. If I was for the union I’d be really desperate that he was removed. 
Instead they troll us about the *****. 
I make no apologies for wishing him a long premiership. Or long enough that is :lol: 

The longer he and his cabal are running the show the more desperate the situation will become for the UK including Scotland. That's the last thing I want. 

jack D and coke
11 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

The longer he and his cabal are running the show the more desperate the situation will become for the UK including Scotland. That's the last thing I want. 

Well the people who vote for the likes of Johnson keep telling us all it’s time to move on. 
What can you do. 

i wish jj was my dad
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Well the people who vote for the likes of Johnson keep telling us all it’s time to move on. 
What can you do. 

I'd rather not have to wait until said people realise how stupid it was to vote for him in the first place. I expected the men in grey suits or even top hats to empty him. The longer they don't the more likely independence will be. 

17 minutes ago, jonesy said:

How no? Are they not an indicator of future performance?

Who's to say the SNP would win a vote I. Independent Scotland.

I'm pro Indy but wouldn't vote for them. 

10 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

10 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Not true anyone earning more than 27k pays more than they would in England. I doubt many full-time workers earn less than that. 

9 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Yes I do. Someone on 48k isn't a high earner

Good lord. 

6 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Exactly. SNP are a means to an end for me. 

3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

He will 

I’m exactly as I was last time, show me  the masterplan, and if it looks beneficial to the country, me, my kids future etc I’m down the booth voting yes. However I’ve yet to see how this is going to work? NHS, Education, Transport, Benefits, Currency, EU Membership, Defence and a whole lot more, given NS has lived her life for an independent Scotland why does she not have this ready to present? Why are so many things still up for debate? Even if things were to change slightly I’d understand.

All I hear from NS is Boris this and that, the Torries etc etc. This is bigger than some halfwit in power in London. My question has always been, if we had a Labour government would there be the same clamour for another vote? If not then some people need to ask themselves some serious questions.

I await with an open mind again as to how this is going to work, I don’t need political point scoring from some of the worst politicians I’ve seen in my life time.

19 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I’m exactly as I was last time, show me  the masterplan, and if it looks beneficial to the country, me, my kids future etc I’m down the booth voting yes. However I’ve yet to see how this is going to work? NHS, Education, Transport, Benefits, Currency, EU Membership, Defence and a whole lot more, given NS has lived her life for an independent Scotland why does she not have this ready to present? Why are so many things still up for debate? Even if things were to change slightly I’d understand.

All I hear from NS is Boris this and that, the Torries etc etc. This is bigger than some halfwit in power in London. My question has always been, if we had a Labour government would there be the same clamour for another vote? If not then some people need to ask themselves some serious questions.

I await with an open mind again as to how this is going to work, I don’t need political point scoring from some of the worst politicians I’ve seen in my life time.

As has been stated by Nicola sturgeon a number of different papers are to be released in the very near future covering all your concerns. It’s very difficult to answer all the issues you raise in one press release. 

2 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

As has been stated by Nicola sturgeon a number of different papers are to be released in the very near future covering all your concerns. It’s very difficult to answer all the issues you raise in one press release. 

Absolutely, I wasn’t expecting to hear it yesterday, however if there’s to be another vote then I want to hear/read it all before I decide. I know some people are completely entrenched in their views but I would hope on such a monumental decision others would do the same. 

Malinga the Swinga
28 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Your spot on. Tories bad is not the answer to every question. 10 years to prepare answers isn't too much to ask.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Sarah O said:

Likewise

Dusk_Till_Dawn
5 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

The vote in 2014 was very much fluenced by No campaign warnings about losing our place in the EU. Otherwise they wouldn't have hammered that point in every message. 

And removing people's democratic right to vote because of their gullibility is an interesting concept. 

I'm also glad you don't like getting involved in petty squabbles. That will serve you well 

There was drivel on both sides. The promise of EU membership was risible given what happened with Brexit - although it’s fair to say that the UK government which Cameron led were arrogant enough to assume that Brexit wouldn’t happen. It wasn’t something he wanted.

Equally, it’s fairly obvious that some of the yes campaign’s financial projections were back of a fag packet stuff and have proven to be very hollow.

Basically, people should just vote on ideology. Because none of what gets argued will ever be properly credible 

Edited by Dusk_Till_Dawn

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, Sarah O said:

Well there are two things that could persuade me to back independence.

1) A legally binding document that states that SNP will dissolve upon independence and that none of the current standing Scottish MP's from Westminster, not MSP's, will be eligible to stand for election in a new Scottish parliament for a period of 10 years, or two parliaments, whatever is longer.

2) We use Scottish election method of transferable votes and don't revert to current UK method.

Put that in document and legalise it and I would be swaying towards a yes vote.

Fail to do so and it will go to show that only aim is power for power sake and they're no better than Boris and co.

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

11 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

This is it. I have no problem with conservative views even though I disagree with them. Been a lot of good decent tories (say that with gritted teeth)

True conservatives must surely be distraught at the shit show that is the current tory party. it isn’t conservatives it is a combination of the BNP and UKIP. 

There's a lot of political sense in this post, IMO.

With my political leanings I can't be called a conservative, but I've met many people with conservative political views that I'd respect, and many right-leaning politicians I'd have regard for.  But there's a world of difference between decent politicians with solid honourable views and some of the shitshow troll-merchants who pass for "conservatives" these days.  A blue version of Militant or Momentum is about as charitable a description as I can think of, TBH.

Weakened Offender
3 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

None of them do. Johnson has exposed the 'rules'  for what they are, worthless. This mob have shown they can do what they want, when they want and laugh about it on TV, right under your nose. The media barely care and the lawmakers and police aren't interested. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

A second poll question should ask if there is a second Scottish independence referendum, should Kickback close the thread immediately before the vote like last time?

Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

Well there is one thing that could persuade me to back independence. A legally binding document that states that SNP will dissolve upon independence and that none of the current standing Scottish MP's from Westminster, not MSP's, will be eligible to stand for election in a new Scottish parliament for a period of 10 years, or two parliaments, whatever is longer.

Why would the one thing that could persuade you to back independence be a restriction on the political rights of public representatives?  It might be something you feel strongly about, but it's not exactly democratic.  If you think politicians shouldn't be in office for too long, couldn't you just vote against them?

And if that persuaded you to back independence, couldn't London just tempt you to flip back by offering the same restrictions on elections to Westminster (and term limits in the Lords)?

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, Weakened Offender said:

None of them do. Johnson has exposed the 'rules'  for what they are, worthless. This mob have shown they can do what they want, when they want and laugh about it on TV, right under your nose. The media barely care and the lawmakers and police aren't interested. 

Your first 4 words sum up all present day politicians in my book. They would sell their souls, if they had one, for power. Policies mean nothing, ethics mean nothing and people mean nothing.

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Why would the one thing that could persuade you to back independence be a restriction on the political rights of public representatives?  It might be something you feel strongly about, but it's not exactly democratic.  If you think politicians shouldn't be in office for too long, couldn't you just vote against them?

And if that persuaded you to back independence, couldn't London just tempt you to flip back by offering the same restrictions on elections to Westminster (and term limits in the Lords)?

No, happy with what I wrote, and then changed (sorry). 

If they were happy to stand down after achieving what they are looking for, it would prove they weren't in it for themselves and actually believed in what they were standing for.

As things are, I truly believe that all they, and the rest of these political charlatans want is access to power and money. 

That's why I said Westminster MP's. They want out of there, so if they succeed, they've done the job and they can leave Scotland to the MSP'S we already have. They're simply not required.

Weakened Offender
12 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Your first 4 words sum up all present day politicians in my book. They would sell their souls, if they had one, for power. Policies mean nothing, ethics mean nothing and people mean nothing.

You have misunderstood my post. I meant none of the rules apply to Clownshoes. 

jack D and coke
51 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

As a matter of interest who are all these SNP voters going to start voting for; immediately after Indy? 

Tories? Seems unlikely 

Labour? Aren’t they red tories

Lib Dem? Possibly but unlikely 

Greens? They are wakadoo in reality

Some New Party? Possibly, but initially unlikely. 

I’m interested? as I just don’t see it that way. Surprised s many do tbh, 

The SNP get first couple of terms of bounce alone and the fact this was their goal. Plus political parties enjoy power, it’s kind of why they exist. Much more so than any other aultristic motive. The SNP ain’t giving that up. That’s a gravy train. 

That said it’s funny reading this thread and seeing people arguing about tories or snp.

It’s a system of governance, the bodies/parties that fill those positions are neither here nore there. We (Scotland) could easily elect someone/party worse than Eton mess (don’t ever underestimate how bad things can get) and RUK could elect the greatest political leader ever seen. 

Good and bad, is as much perception as anything else; especially in politics. 

A lot of this thread is just anger at people not getting what they want. Fair enough but a new system of governance doesn’t, necessarily, give you want. 

No doubt some ‘jock supremacist’ ( @jack D and coke and @jonesy am I doing this right😉) will tell me how Scots know so much better than English and have different values. The truth some people just have a different opinion🤷🏻‍♂️

Surely we just want the best for each other. I don’t get how an imagery line drawn down a tiny island changes that? What unites us is our beliefs, aspirations, goals; not where we are born. especially when it’s only a matter of hundred miles. 

**** I live closer to England than a fair chunck of Scotland. 

I get the frustration with governments, but Indy wouldn’t change people being frustrated with governments. 

Too many people are focussing on the wrong thing imo? Mainly cause they are embroiled in a petty ‘imaginary battle’

i also just want to thank hard seltzers and gelato 45 for this post. 

It’s a system of governance, nothing more. Well unless……..

I’ll clear up my hoose jock jibes it’s basically aimed at a couple of posters who don’t have the minerals to get into a debate about it. 
I have best pals on the other side of this as most people will I’d imagine. 
As for the post I don’t think I know better or am better than someone in England. It’s the laziest assumption going that somehow we don’t like the English and it boils my piss as much as any tartan tranny jibe etc. 

For a start England has different priorities than we do, immigration being one of them. They don’t appear to want many now and we need them but we can’t do anything about it. Energy policy is also reserved we can’t make proper decisions that would benefit the whole country. We are resource rich and pay the highest charges in Europe ffs! There’s not any real investment in those green policies in the islands and off the coasts. 
Also does Scotland just spend the rest of its existence dependent on hand outs? Not able to really make decisions that would benefit people here and instead tied to an economy suited to London? Jibes of being skint without getting money shoved up your arses you ungrateful jocks? People here actually trying to ram that point home too? 
Do I think it’s all going to be unicorns and moonbeams of course I don’t.
I think sometimes that people assume we’d vote Yes on the Tuesday and we’d be independent on the Wednesday with no money or pensions etc immediately, laughable stuff. It would take time to work it all out and surely some pragmatism comes into play? You’d certainly hope so anyway. We wouldn’t get it all our own way I’m well aware. 
People like Nigel Farage and daft old bats like Anne Wiidicombe still have far too much to say for my liking and the English system seems to have a lot of those types,

I want them nowhere near decisions anymore tbh but I can’t affect it at all. Scotland can’t as part of the union we don’t have the numbers. 
It’s all a bit bye the bye atm anyway innit. 

Edited by jack D and coke