Should Scotland be an independent country?

Alex Kintner

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

505 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don’t know/ Abstain/ Spoil ballot

19 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Nope I hate the Nationalists that are all about division and bigotry and can't come to terms with the fact Scotland chose it's place in the UK 😁

British Nationalists are the worst! It's Scotland's place in the UK that's the issue. Insulted and undermined and a lot of Scots accept it, unfortunately.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• JudyJudyJudy

• jack D and coke

• The Mighty Thor

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

British Nationalists are the worst! It's Scotland's place in the UK that's the issue. Insulted and undermined and a lot of Scots accept it, unfortunately.

This dolt would be telling the slaves to stop moaning, they get free room and board.

The Mighty Thor
55 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I can't wait until the supreme court rule that next year's pretendyredum is indeed out with the power of the Scottish Government (pretendy government).

Oh no!

I'll bet them sweaties haven't thought that one through mate eh?

Ainsley Harriott
2 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Oh BritNat. You will be saying Yoon before long. The place in the UK that was chosen by the majority of people that live in Scotland?

Ainsley Harriott
Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

Oh no!

I'll bet them sweaties haven't thought that one through mate eh?

What do you reckon plan B is? A big walk round Edinburgh with saltires defaced with yellow stars. 

Unknown user
Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

Oh BritNat. You will be saying Yoon before long. The place in the UK that was chosen by the majority of people that live in Scotland?

:wtfvlad:

The Mighty Thor
Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

What do you reckon plan B is? A big walk round Edinburgh with saltires defaced with yellow stars. 

You're way too bright for being on here. That's exactly what the legal minds were thinking. 

Ainsley Harriott
Just now, Smithee said:

:wtfvlad:

Maybe try reading the quote I was replying to. I get you smurfs aren't very bright though.

Ainsley Harriott

You're way too bright for being on here. That's exactly what the legal minds were thinking. 

In all seriousness what do you reckon they will do if and when the court says no?

periodictabledancer
2 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

A peach of a non sequitur even by your 'standards'.

😅

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

In all seriousness what do you reckon they will do if and when the court says no?

You're the man with the answers. 

Why don't you enlighten us?

Ainsley Harriott

You're the man with the answers. 

Why don't you enlighten us?

I suggested the walk. What's yours?

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I suggested the walk. What's yours?

Yeah, the walk. That's it. 

They'll have pored over the legal arguments and just gone, nah F it. Let's have a walk. 

manaliveits105
22 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Yeah, the walk. That's it. 

They'll have pored over the legal arguments and just gone, nah F it. Let's have a walk. 

It’s the snp that is highly likely 

Unknown user
33 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Maybe try reading the quote I was replying to. I get you smurfs aren't very bright though.

I did, he didn't say britnat.

53 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Being pro-UK isn't the same as British Nationalism. That's just something said by SNP supporters to justify and draw equivalence with their own Scottish Nationalism. But it doesn't really exist outside of those on the far right and sectarian groups. 

Unknown user
Just now, pablo said:

Being pro-UK isn't the same as British Nationalism. That's just something said by SNP supporters to justify and draw equivalence with their own Scottish Nationalism. But it doesn't really exist outside of those on the far right and sectarian groups. 

He didn't say it was 

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Trolling with silly pictures, what you like eh.

You, accusing anyone of trolling, well I never! :lol:

IMG_20220822_120405.jpg

jack D and coke
17 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’d say most people who believe in independence and aren’t blind followers of this career minded SNP and NS would agree with Jim. I do tbh. 
They haven’t moved the debate an inch in 8 years and it is really under prepared for the vote that i hope it doesn’t happen next year because that really will be the end of it. 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, jack D and coke said:

I’d say most people who believe in independence and aren’t blind followers of this career minded SNP and NS would agree with Jim. I do tbh. 
They haven’t moved the debate an inch in 8 years and it is really under prepared for the vote that i hope it doesn’t happen next year because that really will be the end of it. 

Agreed . Where are the other papers ? Thought they were coming out every few weeks ? 

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

Why do you think Sturgeon and the SNP still haven't addressed a lot of the questions put to them, EU membership and Currency etc, after eight years and so close to a, possible, referendum? 

Unknown user
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Why do you think Sturgeon and the SNP still haven't addressed a lot of the questions put to them, EU membership and Currency etc, after eight years and so close to a, possible, referendum? 

They have answered them haven't they?

We won't be in the EU when we leave and we'll use sterling until we have something else set up.

This will likely be either a Scottish pound or the euro, depending on what political direction our electorate takes us.

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I’d like to think they’re keeping their powder dry until it kicks off but I’m not certain that’s the case. 
It all just feels like they bang the drum around election time then it falls off the radar again and this indyref for next year feels so half arsed to me. 

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

They have answered them haven't they?

We won't be in the EU when we leave and we'll use sterling until we have something else set up.

This will likely be either a Scottish pound or the euro, depending on what political direction our electorate takes us.

I don't think the pound sterling was an option? 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

I don't think the pound sterling was an option? 

Edit. He did lol

Edited by jack D and coke

Just now, jack D and coke said:

I’d like to think they’re keeping their powder dry until it kicks off but I’m not certain that’s the case. 
It all just feels like they bang the drum around election time then it falls off the radar again and this indyref for next year feels so half arsed to me. 

It does feel a bit half arsed to be honest.

1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Won't be saying "yoon" not my style but "Britnats" exist and are aggressive morons. That wasn't really my point though! 

27 minutes ago, pablo said:

I didn't say it was! Not all Scots that support the SNP or independence are nationalists and I'm not bothered about being called one. If supporting your nation's self governance is nationalism then count me in! 

The SNP are pro EU, the British State isn't and my interpretation of that is  GB is more nationalistic than the SNP!

"Far right" and "sectarianism" is more British too if that is what you're inferring.

jack D and coke
13 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Agreed . Where are the other papers ? Thought they were coming out every few weeks ? 

I’m not claiming Alba are the answer but they have the wee Alba book for example that regardless of whether you agree with them on anything really they at least produce this stuff for people to critique. 
It feels like they want it and believe in it. 
This snp produce feck all. 

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

I’m not claiming Alba are the answer but they have the wee Alba book for example that regardless of whether you agree with them on anything really they at least produce this stuff for people to critique. 
It feels like they want it and believe in it. 
This snp produce feck all. 

I thought the Alba party would force the SNP's hand and sort of prod them into a bit more action, as you say, they've got something tangible that can be picked, read and discussed.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, pablo said:

That's because what you think of as being Pro-UK and British Nationalism is in fact just English Nationalism. 

When the English decide they've had enough of the UK, the whole sorry sham will collapse quicker than an MFI wardrobe. 

11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Why not? It's our currency.

Is it not the bank of England's?

Is that not the sticking point?

jack D and coke
Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Mervyn King you’d imagine should probably know whether it was possible or not and he said it was I suppose. 
Whether or not it’s makes sense for either party is another argument. 

JudyJudyJudy

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Won't be saying "yoon" not my style but "Britnats" exist and are aggressive morons. That wasn't really my point though! 

I didn't say it was! Not all Scots that support the SNP or independence are nationalists and I'm not bothered about being called one. If supporting your nation's self governance is nationalism then count me in! 

The SNP are pro EU, the British State isn't and my interpretation of that is  GB is more nationalistic than the SNP!

"Far right" and "sectarianism" is more British too if that is what you're inferring.

I prefer separatist, or splitter. I quite like enemy of the state too actually.

Unknown user
15 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Is there a sticking point?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Why not? It's our currency.

Doesn’t the EU expect new member states to adopt the Euro?

Would Scotland need permissiandto use another countries currency, I saw he said it was possible but there was the argument about who underwrites it and Scotland couldn't print another countries notes?

Konrad von Carstein
11 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Nope, ref Poland!

Unknown user
19 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The answer I gave the guy was we'd be using sterling until the electorate decides what direction we're going in, most likely a Scottish pound or the euro.

7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Would Scotland need permissiandto use another countries currency, I saw he said it was possible but there was the argument about who underwrites it and Scotland couldn't print another countries notes?

No, permission is not required. 

It's not that big a deal to temporarily use a currency while setting up a central bank, especially when it's the currency we already use in our day to day lives.

These aren't impossible hurdles, it's not like a country has never gained independence before, or that we're the most glaringly incompetent country to ever contemplate it.

jack D and coke
12 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

We can use a pound we already have them in our pockets and notes etc and can print them but if it’s to be the pound Sterling we need to come to an agreement with BoE/ruk especially if they were to be a lender of last resort. 

There would need to be a central bank set up at some point for our own currency if we ever wanted to use QE for example though. 

Edited by jack D and coke

Unknown user
29 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

We can use a pound we already have them in our pockets and notes etc and can print them but if it’s to be the pound Sterling we need to come to an agreement with BoE/ruk especially if they were to be a lender of last resort. 

There would need to be a central bank set up at some point for our own currency if we ever wanted to use QE for example though. 

We'll need a central bank either way, even Eurozone countries have them!

jack D and coke
31 minutes ago, Smithee said:

We'll need a central bank either way, even Eurozone countries have them!

I wasn’t sure how the EU countries worked but found this article..

An independent Scotland would face an important choice about its currency arrangements (MacDonald, 2022). The choice of currency would then have implications for how the country’s central bank should be designed and the functions it could undertake.

Under the option of a formal currency union – whether with the rest of the UK or with the European Union (EU) – an independent Scotland would share a central bank with the other member(s) of that union.

The shared central bank – the Bank of England or the European Central Bank (ECB) – would have responsibility for inflation and for lender of last resort activities across the currency area (including Scotland). In the case of the euro area, this would also involve potentially working with local national subsidiaries. Members are represented in the decision-making of the central bank, as on the ECB’s Governing Council.

In the 2014 independence referendum, the Yes campaign’s proposed policy was for a formal currency union with the UK. No agreement was reached, but the Scottish government envisaged having Scottish representation in the governance of the Bank of England, which would have responsibility for central bank policy in Scotland as well as for the rest of the UK.

A second option – an informal currency union using sterling – was proposed by the Scottish National Party’s Sustainable Growth Commission. In this case, there would be no separate Scottish monetary policy, but a Scottish central bank might still be required to undertake a number of functions related to managing the government’s accounts and currency reserves. It would also be at the centre of the Scottish payment system.

The Bank of England’s role in this case would be less clear-cut; indeed, it may assume no role. Most importantly, the Bank of England’s responsibilities towards Scotland in such a scenario would be decided entirely by the authorities in the rest of the UK. In normal economic conditions, it would be unlikely to pay specific attention to Scotland in deciding policy. An example of this can be seen in the United States where the Federal Reserve has no responsibility for economic conditions in Ecuador or Panama – two countries that have informally adopted the US dollar.

To the extent that Scotland’s economy is close in nature to the rest of the UK (it is part of what economists call an optimal currency area or OCA), this may not matter for some aspects of central bank policy. In such a situation, for example, and at least in the short term, UK interest rates would be appropriate to Scotland. If the UK is not an OCA, then a central bank setting interest rates only for rest of the UK would not be appropriate for Scotland.

In an informal union with the rest of the UK, a Scottish central bank would not have the capacity to fulfil all of the responsibilities of a central bank to any meaningful extent (Armstrong and McCarthy, 2014). In particular, there would be reduced capacity to act as lender of last resort to the banking system or undertake ‘unconventional monetary policy’ involving the purchase of financial assets (see below). This is because, while it might be able to build up some reserves to help with this over the long term, ultimately this capacity depends on the ability of a central bank to create (or ‘print’) the domestic currency. A Scottish central bank could not do this in an informal currency union.

The Bank of England may choose, with the support of UK elected policy-makers, to have some responsibilities – perhaps indirectly – towards an independent Scotland’s economy or banking system. An informal currency union does not preclude agreement between two countries about central banking, and the lack of agreement does not prevent any subsequent support.

Central banks often reach agreements between themselves. The UK government participated in the bailout of Ireland in 2010, despite not being a member of the euro area. What these agreements might look like, and the circumstances under which they might be implemented, are uncertain, as is any agreement.

Under the third option – a separate Scottish currency – an independent Scotland would have its own central bank with the full capacity to perform all the functions discussed above. This central bank would be expected to be accountable to the Scottish government and to the Scottish parliament, including with regard to the issues discussed below.

With this option, monetary policy would be set for the needs of Scotland alone, although decisions would have to take account of international influences. Crucially, in contrast to other options, this policy would allow an independent Scotland to create or print its own currency. This enhances the lender of last resort liquidity support available to Scottish banks and the ability to perform unconventional monetary policy, in particular the quantitative easing (QE) that has become increasingly common since the global financial crisis of 2007-09.

8 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Scotland = Englands money printer

300012674_2684713284996677_134267603275645564_n.jpg

a baby box is the best start in life? Gosh didn't realise the solution was so straightforward. 

That thing you do
Just now, Japan Jambo said:

a baby box is the best start in life? Gosh didn't realise the solution was so straightforward. 

Maybe a bit of marketing there but we inherited the idea from Finland where research proved its a very good idea and does provide benefits.

4 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Maybe a bit of marketing there but we inherited the idea from Finland where research proved its a very good idea and does provide benefits.

Shame about when the baby reaches school age and receives a sub standard education.