Should Scotland be an independent country?

Alex Kintner

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

505 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don’t know/ Abstain/ Spoil ballot

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• JudyJudyJudy

• jack D and coke

• The Mighty Thor

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Aye and look what happened to him ! 

He got an ice pick, that made his ears burn...

dobmisterdobster
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

le elephant in the room.  Just like with the cost of living crisis.  Its being blamed squarely on Brexit and Ukraine.  Scatch underneath that and think about the economic damages of lockdowns ! But some posters wont acknowledge that as it'll be critical of the great leader.  

We decided we didn't want an economy for over a year and we are surprised with the consequences.

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, dobmisterdobster said:

We decided we didn't want an economy for over a year and we are surprised with the consequences.

Aye they didn’t moan about lockdowns despite the warnings about future economic consequences, struggle to find sympathy with their faux outrage about the current economic crisis by blaming it on other factors . They didn’t moan as dissent is not allowed . Remember we even had a lockdown last Xmas / new year which was completely unnecessary and now we are in the shit . Quelle surprise . 

Konrad von Carstein
28 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

24 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Aye they didn’t moan about lockdowns despite the warnings about future economic consequences, struggle to find sympathy with their faux outrage about the current economic crisis by blaming it on other factors . They didn’t moan as dissent is not allowed . Remember we even had a lockdown last Xmas / new year which was completely unnecessary and now we are in the shit . Quelle surprise . 

Loving the smell of 20/20 hindsight this evening.

James, when did the warnings begin?, certainly not during the first lockdown AFAICR

Lockdowns were policy across the British governments, so your tedious lambasting of NS on this topic is as unwarranted as it is expected.

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

James, when did the warnings begin?, certainly not during the first lockdown AFAICR

Lockdowns were policy across the British governments, so your tedious lambasting of NS on this topic is as unwarranted as it is expected.

Yes it was a uk policy but it was carried out with more vigour up here.  As noted with last Xmas . 

Konrad von Carstein
Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes it was a uk policy but it was carried out with more vigour up here.  As noted with last Xmas . 

And (at the time) that was thought to be the correct course of action.

I see you can't bring yourself to criticise the Westminster government's tardy responses, full speed ahead with the SNP/NS pile on though.

Don't respond with an accusation of whatabootery, that would be beneath even you on this topic

Konrad von Carstein
5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I’m no that keen on some of my immediate family, so not sure your point stands, Konnie.

But the flag shagging works both ways. Those most vociferous about one side tend to forget that they are, when push comes to shove, little more than a mirror of the ‘other side’.

:lol:

It takes the Jonesmeister to bring some sanity to the discussion...

THAT'S how low we've sunk ;)

Konrad von Carstein
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I’m baw deep into some lovely Montepulciano, so it could be the grapes talking. 🍷

Cab Sauv over here :toasting:

dobmisterdobster
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

It's a crime against our people. How many young people died from suicide and mental illnesses?

33 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Doesn't take a Rocket Surgeon to figure out what would happen.

Weakened Offender
2 hours ago, pablo said:

Although Nationalism of any kind leads to conflict with others. I mean you'll get old firm fans who aren't bigoted, but scratch the surface......

For many who say Westminster, they really mean the English. We've sleepwalked into this shitshow. 

Scottish people have been stereotyped by the English media, English politicians and English folk in general for a long, long time. Just like the Irish. If you don't think that's the case then its you who has been sleepwalking into this. 

JudyJudyJudy
19 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

It's a crime against our people. How many young people died from suicide and mental illnesses?

Doesn't take a Rocket Surgeon to figure out what would happen.

Yep to both 

JudyJudyJudy
33 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I’m baw deep into some lovely Montepulciano, so it could be the grapes talking. 🍷

29 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Cab Sauv over here :toasting:

Might have a mid week drink too . Been a stressful day . 

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

Scottish people have been stereotyped by the English media, English politicians and English folk in general for a long, long time. Just like the Irish. If you don't think that's the case then its you who has been sleepwalking into this. 

This is one these posts that is otherwise known as being absolutely “Bang on the cash”

jack D and coke

These dreadful scenes and riots in Perth last night produced ZERO arrests. 

Disgusting. Shocking state of affairs. I for one will never consider voting Yes after this. 
James Cook is currently recovering at home after being assaulted with 2 tame words. 

Watt-Zeefuik

It still honestly shocks me how much English folks of all stripes speak about Scotland with derision or contempt. To them it's a backwards, noisy, quarrelsome place, unlike civilized and genteel England. Ironic given that it's always England that seems to me more stuck firmly in its own imagined history and Scotland that's far more innovative and interesting.

manaliveits105

Arrests not required these twatspangle nationalists were seen by the whole nation on tv or online and have damaged their cause - braw ! :greggy:

jack D and coke

I’ll be honest someone like Mick Lynch could bring me back into voting Labour. 
There really should be some concerted effort getting this man in there. 

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

It still honestly shocks me how much English folks of all stripes speak about Scotland with derision or contempt. To them it's a backwards, noisy, quarrelsome place, unlike civilized and genteel England. Ironic given that it's always England that seems to me more stuck firmly in its own imagined history and Scotland that's far more innovative and interesting.

Fair comment. 
:verysmug: 
The derision from our own people is the stuff that staggers me. 

Watt-Zeefuik
4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Fair comment. 
:verysmug: 
The derision from our own people is the stuff that staggers me. 

I get it. I grew up believing that the American south was the only place in America where racism was a problem and all of the northern states were enlightened beacons of light.

Are they ****.

This stuff is so pervasive in the media that you can't help but start believing it at some point.

And yet you get Scottish?  posters on here who will gladly stick up for right wing,  Tory bigots,  as long as they want Scotland ruled by right wing tory bigots 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Led Tasso said:

I get it. I grew up believing that the American south was the only place in America where racism was a problem and all of the northern states were enlightened beacons of light.

Are they ****.

This stuff is so pervasive in the media that you can't help but start believing it at some point.

You’d have been forgiven for literally waking up thinking Perth was a near riot last night😐

Was the same during the first indyref, cybernats and similar pish.
Yes voters were nasty and violent 😂

It was shite then and it’s still shite. 
Zero arrests and police scotland saying nothing said that constituted anything illegal. 
Some wee jack n danny got called a traitor🤣
What a joke our media is. 

Watt-Zeefuik
13 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

You’d have been forgiven for literally waking up thinking Perth was a near riot last night😐

Was the same during the first indyref, cybernats and similar pish.
Yes voters were nasty and violent 😂

It was shite then and it’s still shite. 
Zero arrests and police scotland saying nothing said that constituted anything illegal. 
Some wee jack n danny got called a traitor🤣
What a joke our media is. 

Right, and all the Black Lives Matter protests in 2020 were violent uprisings against the local retail establishments, as I'm sure you saw reported.

jack D and coke
Just now, Led Tasso said:

Right, and all the Black Lives Matter protests in 2020 were violent uprisings against the local retail establishments, as I'm sure you saw reported.

Yeah the media made it look that way mate defo. 

I won’t lie and say I didn’t believe it too. 
All I saw were videos of black people running out shops with new trainers and TVs…

I’ve seen some stuff to suggest that the reason they won’t grant another indyref is the figure for a potential Yes they believe is higher than they’re willing to admit.
The British govt didn’t release details of a survey they done. 
That’s more like it imo.
Smear people…and it works too. 

Watt-Zeefuik
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Yeah the media made it look that way mate defo. 

I won’t lie and say I didn’t believe it too. 
All I saw were videos of black people running out shops with new trainers and TVs…

I’ve seen some stuff to suggest that the reason they won’t grant another indyref is the figure for a potential Yes they believe is higher than they’re willing to admit.
The British govt didn’t release details of a survey they done. 
That’s more like it imo.
Smear people…and it works too. 

Looting happened, in a few places, sure. What happened a whole lot more was that there were enormous, joyful, peaceful protests that followed the law, and in many places the police rocked up and started stirring things up, and the moment they could possibly justify it started throwing tear gas. In some places, like Philadelphia, they filled up a spot with tear gas, ordered people to disperse, blocked all possible means of them dispersing then started swinging.

But that's off topic.  The point is, I'm sure there was spitting and reprobate behavior in Perth. I'm also sure it was about as much of the proportion as sing "Hullo hullo" at Tynecastle. A tiny minority that give everyone a bad reputation.

Unknown user

Looting happened, in a few places, sure. What happened a whole lot more was that there were enormous, joyful, peaceful protests that followed the law, and in many places the police rocked up and started stirring things up, and the moment they could possibly justify it started throwing tear gas. In some places, like Philadelphia, they filled up a spot with tear gas, ordered people to disperse, blocked all possible means of them dispersing then started swinging.

But that's off topic.  The point is, I'm sure there was spitting and reprobate behavior in Perth. I'm also sure it was about as much of the proportion as sing "Hullo hullo" at Tynecastle. A tiny minority that give everyone a bad reputation.

Scotland's getting ridden raw, it's a testament to our patience that this is as far as it's gone.

jack D and coke

Im 99.99% certain if there was any videos of reprobate behaviour you would’ve seen it by now. We have rabble rousing pricks at all these events filming looking for anything to tarnish and make Scotland look a hate filled, anti English hellhole.  
Manky jaikit would’ve been there stirring shite as per usual.
The Tory scum banner etc doesn’t help but nothing has came to light and it would’ve been everywhere had it been the case. 
All they have is James Cook getting called a traitor and a scumbag or something.

I’d have at least added nonce. 

2 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

I've never felt or been made to feel like that. I'm also pretty confident that I interact with English people much more than any of the Nationalists on here who in all honesty come across as people who don't get out and about much. 

Which is fertile ground for nationalism to flourish. 

Unknown user
16 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

All they have is James Cook getting called a traitor and a scumbag or something.

I’d have at least added nonce. 

Definitely. Prick seems appropriate too, possibly even hoose jock! 🤯

Edited by Smithee

Weakened Offender
10 minutes ago, pablo said:

I've never felt or been made to feel like that. I'm also pretty confident that I interact with English people much more than any of the Nationalists on here who in all honesty come across as people who don't get out and about much. 

If you spend so much time out and about with English folk then why, in your opinion, is English nationlism flourishing? 😊

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, pablo said:

:cornette:

I don’t like giving someone like you the cornette pal you’re a good lad imo and fair most of the time but you get that so wrong imo. 
I worked in England for 12 years, had English girlfriends and all the rest, like most I grew up watching and idolising English sportsmen etc, I’m down there at least a couple of times a year still to visit people. My place in Spain is mostly English and I get on great with them all. They know how I think and we have no issues whatsoever. 
They rib me and vice versa. There has and always will be tensions between Scotland and England but it’s nothing anyone has to worry about.
England has tensions with France and Germany more than us but again it’s not anything sinister. 
The anti English thing is tired and lazy.  
Its bolloks imo and drives me mad. 

42 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

🤔

See the thing is, nobody is denying that these horrible huns exist. And that the aftermath of the 2014 was toxic, especially on the streets of Glasgow.

But that's not the same as targeting Tory party members attending a political event. I'll never ever vote Tory, but come on..... the vilification of them is iffy as ****. It's become acceptable for people to openly refer to them as scum and nazis. If you take a step back for a minute....really?

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, pablo said:

See the thing is, nobody is denying that these horrible huns exist. And that the aftermath of the 2014 was toxic, especially on the streets of Glasgow.

But that's not the same as targeting Tory party members attending a political event. I'll never ever vote Tory, but come on..... the vilification of them is iffy as ****. It's become acceptable for people to openly refer to them as scum and nazis. If you take a step back for a minute....really?

I know all of that, just attempting to dampen down some of the incredible hyperbolic reaction to what occurred in Perth the other night.

BTW in my opinion Tory MPs and party members should be given as rough a time as is allowed within the law and common decency ie no spitting etc

That party has run this country into the ground and is doing it's damnedest to remove as many of our rights as possible. All IMO.

53 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I know all of that, just attempting to dampen down some of the incredible hyperbolic reaction to what occurred in Perth the other night.

BTW in my opinion Tory MPs and party members should be given as rough a time as is allowed within the law and common decency ie no spitting etc

That party has run this country into the ground and is doing it's damnedest to remove as many of our rights as possible. All IMO.

What a lot of shite. I obviously don't have any time for the SNP but I'm hardly going to go out of my way to give their MPs as rough a time as possible.

As I said yesterday, and it's becoming increasingly apparent to me that all the independence movement is, is an anti Conservative party movement. 

Konrad von Carstein
4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

That's not politics. That's just a constant state of grievance. 

Morning Jonesy, sadly not one of your best posts. :(

Wasn't meant to be politics and I disagree with your take on my post, but hey...

:)

Konrad von Carstein
Just now, pablo said:

What a lot of shite. I obviously don't have any time for the SNP but I'm hardly going to go out of my way to give their MPs as rough a time as possible.

As I said yesterday, and it's becoming increasingly apparent to me that all the independence movement is, is an anti Conservative party movement. 

Protest is a no no in your world then?

No even going to bother addressing your second para as it's a load of shite :)

9 hours ago, Smithee said:

Definitely. Prick seems appropriate too, possibly even hoose jock! 🤯

The behaviour from some is poor however he knew what he was doing. The whole point was to create a situation and have a morale high ground. 

3 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Protest is a no no in your world then?

No even going to bother addressing your second para as it's a load of shite :)

Targeting Party members? Old biddies who believe in small government and lower taxes?

Not for me, no. 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Mysterion said:

The behaviour from some is poor however he knew what he was doing. The whole point was to create a situation and have a morale high ground. 

Unionists reading wee nonce James Cook got some bad wurds said to him yesterday morning vs the wee dafties this morning.

:pleasing:

CE13CC38-3C5F-439C-87B5-703336719936.jpeg

6A1C87E9-6419-4CBD-92B6-3CA6A763832C.jpeg

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

As a teenager, I grew up in a household in which the mere mention of the 'T' word was enough to spark a rant and/or destroy the mood of the home for the rest of the day.

It achieved nothing other than stress and high blood pressure, and made everyone miserable.

I'd imagine that any immediate failings in post-indy Scotland will be blamed on 'years of London rule' rather than any admission of error by those who end up running the gaff.

The angry shouty mob (on both sides) need to try persuading others that their side is better, not that the other wise is worse.

As regards your second paragraph, jonsey, I disagree.

I came from a similar household and I'd like to think our opposition to the poll tax and the protests that followed, had a tangible effect in the demise of Thatcher.

I like to think it achieved something !

54 minutes ago, jonesy said:

As a teenager, I grew up in a household in which the mere mention of the 'T' word was enough to spark a rant and/or destroy the mood of the home for the rest of the day.

It achieved nothing other than stress and high blood pressure, and made everyone miserable.

I'd imagine that any immediate failings in post-indy Scotland will be blamed on 'years of London rule' rather than any admission of error by those who end up running the gaff.

The angry shouty mob (on both sides) need to try persuading others that their side is better, not that the other wise is worse.

Just shows you, the mention of the T word in our house led to getting the bunting out and a few verses of god save the queen. Loved my childhood. 

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Just shows you, the mention of the T word in our house led to getting the bunting out and a few verses of god save the queen. Loved my childhood. 

2/10 pal…

I’ve awarded 2 because there’s a small part of me that might just believe it 😐😂

38 minutes ago, jonesy said:

That was good, targeted protest (although ultimately cost people a lot of money through arresting of wages, sadly).

Shouting like loons about Tories in general, especially with the media watching, does very little positive for the cause of either a fairer society or Scottish independence.

Sorry, again, I disagree.

I'm at a loss as to why, in the situation we are in now, there isn't more protests going on.

And I mean big, **** off ones !

Not at a complete loss you understand. The art of protest has been curtailed over the last couple of decades. The media, of course, play a part in that. 

There are rallies planned for next month through the STUC so hopefully they are well attended...and reported..the same way a few bams are reported at a drop of a hat !

53 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

2/10 pal…

I’ve awarded 2 because there’s a small part of me that might just believe it 😐😂

Appreciate the 2 JD but a little harsh. Tory stronghold in our house in my youth. Sometimes trolling and truth are the same thing. 😊

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Appreciate the 2 JD but a little harsh. Tory stronghold in our house in my youth. Sometimes trolling and truth are the same thing. 😊

Believe it or not tory household I come from😐my dad is a rule Britannia, rangers supporting Tory 😂

21 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I agree, Robert. There ought to be protests. But target the right people and organisations. A few Perthshire pensioners from the posh houses in Crieff and Bridge of Allan and a news reporter aren't the bad guys here.

Of course. 

Let's see how the media report the real protests that are coming.

👍

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Believe it or not tory household I come from😐my dad is a rule Britannia, rangers supporting Tory 😂

I knew you were from good stock. 😊