Should Scotland be an independent country?

Alex Kintner

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

505 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don’t know/ Abstain/ Spoil ballot

The Mighty Thor

Remarkable isn't it, that with all this negative news in the annual absolutely made up GERS nonsense, that England wants to keep us?

Just what could we possibly have that props up the Exchequer?

See you this time next year for another collection of Daily Mail/Express headlines in the making 👍

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• JudyJudyJudy

• jack D and coke

• The Mighty Thor

Dusk_Till_Dawn
46 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Remarkable isn't it, that with all this negative news in the annual absolutely made up GERS nonsense, that England wants to keep us?

Just what could we possibly have that props up the Exchequer?

See you this time next year for another collection of Daily Mail/Express headlines in the making 👍

Do you just dismiss the numbers out of hand? Is there anything to them?

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I don’t think they can be dismissed out of hand but there apparently isn’t any set of figures gathered this way for a devolved govt anywhere in the world. 
I’ve asked why there is no or hasn’t ever been any English version of these. A few people say well England isn’t devolved but neither was Scotland in 1992 when they started publishing these figures. Bit strange that is imo. 
They were used to dampen calls for Scotland breaking away from the uk and when you think back to 1992 I can’t even recall there being much appetite for it then, maybe I’m wrong though. 
There’s lots of arguments about how the figures are estimated, and it’s all became a bit of yet another bun fight between the two sides with neither side willing to retreat an inch or accept any alternative view. 

manaliveits105

SNP’s ‘half-baked’ scheme to house Ukrainian refugees sparks pollution complaints

Noxious fumes from the MS Victoria ferry’s engines have forced local residents to keep windows shut and hold their breath while outside
A “half-baked” scheme by Nicola Sturgeon’s government to house Ukrainian refugees aboard a ferry has sparked pollution complaints after SNP ministers mistakenly believed the vessel could be plugged into the mains.

:facepalm::gok:

51 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

SNP’s ‘half-baked’ scheme to house Ukrainian refugees sparks pollution complaints

Noxious fumes from the MS Victoria ferry’s engines have forced local residents to keep windows shut and hold their breath while outside
A “half-baked” scheme by Nicola Sturgeon’s government to house Ukrainian refugees aboard a ferry has sparked pollution complaints after SNP ministers mistakenly believed the vessel could be plugged into the mains.

:facepalm::gok:

Just like you on here!

The Mighty Thor
10 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Yes they should be dismissed out of hand. They're nonsensical. 

Get them to publish an English GERS collated in the same way.

9 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

I’ve asked why there is no or hasn’t ever been any English version of these. A few people say well England isn’t devolved but neither was Scotland in 1992 when they started publishing these figures. Bit strange that is imo. 

There are versions of GERS, there are reports that do the same thing for each area of England and Wales. They all show that outside London and Kent that the rest of the UK is subsidised and some worse than Scotland. 

It's a strange scenario that is talked about but glossed over.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
53 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

There are versions of GERS, there are reports that do the same thing for each area of England and Wales. They all show that outside London and Kent that the rest of the UK is subsidised and some worse than Scotland. 

It's a strange scenario that is talked about but glossed over.

I suppose the issue, though, is that none of these areas are talking about going it alone - so does it matter?

You could argue that it matters in Scotland because the country needs to be able to wash its face.

But listen, I’m a long way past knowing which bits of this stuff to listen to and which to ignore. 

Unknown user
Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I suppose the issue, though, is that none of these areas are talking about going it alone - so does it matter?

You could argue that it matters in Scotland because the country needs to be able to wash its face.

But listen, I’m a long way past knowing which bits of this stuff to listen to and which to ignore. 

The UK doesn't wash its face

Dusk_Till_Dawn
28 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The UK doesn't wash its face

No but if that’s part of the reason for leaving, it’s not much of an argument to say Scotland won’t either. 

The Mighty Thor
4 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

No but if that’s part of the reason for leaving, it’s not much of an argument to say Scotland won’t either. 

There's a discussion to be had about the largest part of the UK washing their face with someone else's soap and water.

Imagine how donald ducked they would be if that went from them. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
8 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

There's a discussion to be had about the largest part of the UK washing their face with someone else's soap and water.

Imagine how donald ducked they would be if that went from them. 

But that’s not really the independence debate is it

Dusk_Till_Dawn
16 minutes ago, Imaman said:

It’s alright condemning Gers but let’s see the alternative take on it. 

precisely 

The Mighty Thor
29 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

But that’s not really the independence debate is it

It most certainly is when you question how GERS shows a whacking great deficit in one of the most resource rich countries in Europe. 

In fact i'd suggest it's the whole debate. 

13 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It most certainly is when you question how GERS shows a whacking great deficit in one of the most resource rich countries in Europe. 

In fact i'd suggest it's the whole debate. 

We need to see a quantified figure on the value of the resources to show a balanced take on it. Show that in £shillings and pence Euros or Dollars against the deficit. 
also we need to know there would be no objections to accessing it for our benefit 

A pro active Scottish Government should setting up a Hydro Power generation plant Solar or Wind and selling it to a Scottish Market as well as other nations IMO. 
That way if can be proved that a tangible argument for self sustainability and income exists and these are the benefits. 

Edited by Imaman

Unknown user
2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

A government we can hold accountable mate, that's what we want.

What's with the faux charm offensive? Sturgeon saying she feels British and Blackford claiming to be mates with Tories at Westminster.

I'm assuming they'll have had the results in from some focus group and are trying to distance themselves from the scenes in Perth.

Edited by pablo

17 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Can you imagine an actual Scottish news programme that spoke of England this way..

:wattie:

Have you heard what folks say about Boris/Truss/Sunak etc.? Please, it's about time someone called her out. She's currently awol on a three day jaunt to Denmark to open a trade mission, a questionable use of money (jaunt and ongoing costs) in these trying times I'd argue.

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Have you heard what folks say about Boris/Truss/Sunak etc.? Please, it's about time someone called her out. She's currently awol on a three day jaunt to Denmark to open a trade mission, a questionable use of money (jaunt and ongoing costs) in these trying times I'd argue.

Called who out? Nicola Sturgeon I presume? She’s went on a national tv show and said she’s happy to see English cities overrun with rats has she?
While the said presenter laughs?

That’s honestly your take on that? 

Konrad von Carstein
54 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Called who out? Nicola Sturgeon I presume? She’s went on a national tv show and said she’s happy to see English cities overrun with rats has she?
While the said presenter laughs?

That’s honestly your take on that? 

Don't bite, you're wasting bandwidth.

jack D and coke
10 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Don't bite, you're wasting bandwidth.

Can’t be any skin left on some peoples knees man. 
Im not really arsed what they say about NS she’s fair game although the haggis jibe is well off. Imagine some ex Scottish govt person had said “aye I’m happy that that fat Morris dancers cities are now full of rats” while the presenter laughed!
it makes me piss myself laughing at the state they’d get themselves in. Look at the nick they got themselves in over james cook getting called a traitor! 
Yet the take on that is that she and obviously we deserve that kind of shite on a national broadcaster as ludicrous as GBNews is.
Liz Truss believes it to be more truthful than the BBC though. 

:lol: 

Edited by jack D and coke

JudyJudyJudy
39 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Im not really arsed what they say about NS she’s fair game although the haggis jibe is well off. Imagine some ex Scottish govt person had said “aye I’m happy that that fat Morris dancers cities are now full of rats” while the presenter laughed!
it makes me piss myself laughing at the state they’d get themselves in. Look at the nick they got themselves in over james cook getting called a traitor! 
Yet the take on that is that she and obviously we deserve that kind of shite on a national broadcaster as ludicrous as GBNews is.

Ill admit i agree with some of GB News in regards to some issues but latterly they have went right off the cliff edge with some issues.  Their constant negative " reporting " of Meghan Markle is racist.  There is no two ways about it. Dan Wooten is obsessed about her and is vile towards her and Harry.  Nasty as hell really. 

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Ill admit i agree with some of GB News in regards to some issues but latterly they have went right off the cliff edge with some issues.  Their constant negative " reporting " of Meghan Markle is racist.  There is no two ways about it. Dan Wooten is obsessed about her and is vile towards her and Harry.  Nasty as hell really. 

It’s a dreadful station full of hate filled ***** it really is. I mean it employs Farage ffs :lol: 
I’d struggle not to throw punches at that Wooten. A smarmy, twisted prick. 
Im no fan of Meghan Markle either but him and Piers Morgan are seriously deranged over her. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
19 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Feel the love 🥰

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Dude. About five people watch GB News. If James Cook getting pelters is no big deal then I hardly see how some inbred Daily Mail columnist who lives in her own arse is of any relevance either. 

Platell’s biggest fear is Waitrose running shot in Ocra. Her columns are laughable 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
37 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Dan Wootton is a ****ing nonce

jack D and coke
11 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Dude. About five people watch GB News. If James Cook getting pelters is no big deal then I hardly see how some inbred Daily Mail columnist who lives in her own arse is of any relevance either. 

Platell’s biggest fear is Waitrose running shot in Ocra. Her columns are laughable 

Agreed :lol: the fact remains that they regularly spew hate at Scotland on that channel. I’m pointing out the hypocrisy tbh. The media in this country would lose its shit if anybody spoke of England that way. 

10 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Dan Wootton is a ****ing nonce

Extra internet points for this…😁

Edited by jack D and coke

Dusk_Till_Dawn
11 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Agreed :lol: the fact remains that they regularly spew hate at Scotland on that channel. I’m pointing out the hypocrisy tbh. The media in this country would lose its shit if anybody spoke of England that way. 

Extra internet points for this…😁

Their output is generally poisonous. You want to hear them going on about the RMT. But yeah, they are very disparaging about Scotland, which I’d take as a compliment. I mean, you’d hardly want Hitler enjoying your company. 

dobmisterdobster
3 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

This. Tories get called everything under the sun. It's part and parcel of being in politics.

The minute people say anything about Sturgeon, it's suddenly a crime against Scotland. Cue faux outrage and grievance etc.

jack D and coke
9 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

This. Tories get called everything under the sun. It's part and parcel of being in politics.

The minute people say anything about Sturgeon, it's suddenly a crime against Scotland. Cue faux outrage and grievance etc.

Who was whining about anything being said about NS? They’re happy our city is full of rats. 
And the tories are utter filth.
Change my mind. 

6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Who was whining about anything being said about NS? They’re happy our city is full of rats. 
And the tories are utter filth.
Change my mind. 

Didn’t we all laugh and mock at the Glasgow rat problem last year ? 

Jeffros Furios
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s a dreadful station full of hate filled ***** it really is. I mean it employs Farage ffs :lol: 
I’d struggle not to throw punches at that Wooten. A smarmy, twisted prick. 
Im no fan of Meghan Markle either but him and Piers Morgan are seriously deranged over her. 

Dan Wooten is a ***** who needs a  garden spade through his thick head ! 

Hes just a showbiz columnist added with hating the left, woke , channel crossings , covid hoaxer and loving Boris .

The ***** lives in his own wee drama fuelled world and knows **** all about important issues.

jack D and coke
6 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Didn’t we all laugh and mock at the Glasgow rat problem last year ? 

I genuinely didn’t mate. 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Dazo said:

Oh right, I did. 😂

:lol: fair enough. 
Id say litter and mess is probably one of my biggest bugbears, I hate it.
I’d love to strangle the life out of people who litter and leave/dump all their shit for someone else to deal with. 

Just now, jack D and coke said:

:lol: fair enough. 
Id say litter and mess is probably one of my biggest bugbears, I hate it.
I’d love to strangle the life out of people who litter and leave/dump all their shit for someone else to deal with. 

Oh don’t get me wrong we’re the same. The mrs is often picking litter up when we are on a walk. It was Glasgow though so **** them. 

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Oh don’t get me wrong we’re the same. The mrs is often picking litter up when we are on a walk. It was Glasgow though so **** them. 

:shockio:

3 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Dan Wooten is a ***** who needs a  garden spade through his thick head ! 

Hes just a showbiz columnist added with hating the left, woke , channel crossings , covid hoaxer and loving Boris .

The ***** lives in his own wee drama fuelled world and knows **** all about important issues.

Crazy to think that if the lurch to the right (in England) carries on sometime in the next decade he'll be blacklisted and probably found lynched as an abomination...

Either that or he'll be frightened into being the biggest cheerleader for conversion therapy going.

jack D and coke

The only country with the spine to vote for their independence in the U.K. is England. 
It’s strange this thing hasn’t grown earlier tbh.