TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )

rickyjambo

FarmerTweedy
4 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Yes there are always people that can attend and with more games on a Sunday, even more...But the seats are sold and if we had more then there wouldn't be an issue...It wont change anytime soon unfortunately.....The first 3 stands we build should have been bigger from the off but we have always had small minded people in this country.....That will do, this is fine,,,thats all we need....We where getting around 12k back in the 90's for B games. Now its 18k+ and its only because its all we can sell...Someone needs to ask the club if they have any desire to move us up a level and grow our fan base generation way more income to help us compete at the top end of the table.

If we had a 30k stadium we would have an average of 25k ranging from 18k-22k for B games and 25k-30k for A games...Thats some income for the club.  Yes it all cost money eh...but it need to be done and even if its around 25-30 million it will reap the rewards like the new stand is now for generations of fans.

Yeah, it was really small minded not to just bulldoze the warehouses the distillery still had behind part of the Wheatfield at the time, and not to just build the Gorgie stand right into the back gardens of the tenements behind, and the school end into the grounds of the old school. How stupid the club were to not do all that! 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Sooks

• Watt-Zeefuik

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FarmerTweedy
3 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

I just thought it was normally around 4 seats width but seemed more.

You obviously don't go to Tynecastle much! Can't get a ticket? 

51 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I think the high-stacked touchline stands at Goodison Park show how you can get a lot of seats on a fairly narrow footprint and create a lot of atmosphere.

That's a good shout, if modern architecture methods can take away the pillars it could work.

Whilst we have all conversed on here about the pros and cons of spending money, i think that in 2yrs time if the club can maximise revenues, continue to build the team then an outside the box approach to a rebuild has to be looked at (eg. why replace one stand when you can do two, can you get a 2 tier stand into place, can we buy any of the surrounding land from N&B or even a section of the old school to give more space). 

I've always considered FoH to be the guarantors of a future stadium development (maybe FoH take a mortgage out to support delivery of a stadium development), I think it's how the club can grow going forward.

Get the stadium somehow towards 30k and the additional income (not just ticket sales, because of business growth, supporter growth) and we can then compete for the league title.

Edited by Mysterion

43 minutes ago, OTT said:

I'm not sure if we'd have enough space but if we could double the Wheatfield, same design as it is currently would be awesome.

Go to google maps/apple maps (apple is a bit better for this IMO) and you look at the non satellite view it shows you the stadium outline, it's a bit more accurate on Apple showing the stands/walkways/trusses.

The space is there to double to footprint of the Wheatfield. I'd argue that a single rake stand might not be great though (imagine having to get to row 60!). Not sure if we'd be able to build in hospitality easily unless it's a another version of Gorgie Suite with no natural daylight. 

Harry Potter
2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Good man ……………. although what about the atmosphere of you remain too calm ?  Could you at least yell hooray every now and again ?

a couple of hoorays are fine ha ha.

18 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Go to google maps/apple maps (apple is a bit better for this IMO) and you look at the non satellite view it shows you the stadium outline, it's a bit more accurate on Apple showing the stands/walkways/trusses.

The space is there to double to footprint of the Wheatfield. I'd argue that a single rake stand might not be great though (imagine having to get to row 60!). Not sure if we'd be able to build in hospitality easily unless it's a another version of Gorgie Suite with no natural daylight. 

But think about your step count! :D 

I was thinking more along the lines of a gym or something. You want it to ideally be a 7 day stadium and I think some sort of gym built into the stand would probably be a good use of space as well as creating another revenue stream for the club. I know there is a gym just down the road, but Hearts have the USP of being Hearts so its not a stretch to say that local fans would be inclined to switch. We've already got the restaurant and bar with rumours of a mini hotel too, so a gym seems an obvious progression. 

upgotheheads

Build four new corner stanchions, back and out as far as possible from the existing ones, using cantilevers to support the existing coat hanger beams.

Fill in the corners with seats, adding possibly 5K to the capacity.

Remove one row of seats all round the stadium to increase the pitch size to Champions league compliant dimensions costing maybe 1K seats.

Hey Presto! Near 25k stadium, compliant with all European competitions.

Could be done for about £10 million in my totally uninformed opinion. 

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, upgotheheads said:

Build four new corner stanchions, back and out as far as possible from the existing ones, using cantilevers to support the existing coat hanger beams.

Remove one row of seats all round the stadium to increase the pitch size to Champions league compliant dimensions costing maybe 1K seats.

Good idea why’s nobody thought of that?! You should email the club 

Walter Mitty's out again I see...either too much time on their hands or don't do much JKB 😬

Just enjoy a fully refurbished stadium, near sell outs for first time in quite a considerable time, against a cost of living backdrop I've never seen in my lifetime...

Let's compete properly over next 5 years or so, pick up some silverware and regularly get into group stages of Europe, before this Disney fantasy stuff is dragged up again and again re monopoly money needed to increase stadium size 👍

upgotheheads
Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Good idea why’s nobody thought of that?! You should email the club 

I've been banging on about this for years. A prophet without honour in his own country.😄

2 hours ago, OTT said:

But think about your step count! :D 

I was thinking more along the lines of a gym or something. You want it to ideally be a 7 day stadium and I think some sort of gym built into the stand would probably be a good use of space as well as creating another revenue stream for the club. I know there is a gym just down the road, but Hearts have the USP of being Hearts so its not a stretch to say that local fans would be inclined to switch. We've already got the restaurant and bar with rumours of a mini hotel too, so a gym seems an obvious progression. 

This is why I think it's important to go for the two tier solution. The 2nd deck allows more space to be available for supporters and create new revenue options.

The new stand at Anfield is a prime example where they have used the floorspace to allow fans to consume food/drink in a bit more of a relaxed environment and avoid being crushed. In turn it generates more revenue.

It's also essential to create some form of hospitality, potentially allowing an away hospitality section (may as well exploit the visitors some more).

4 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Nah, was just making points that you'd already acknowledged and I'd read too fast to see the first time. Totally my mistake.

I do love looking at other stadiums for inspiration. While I know it's on its way out, I think the high-stacked touchline stands at Goodison Park show how you can get a lot of seats on a fairly narrow footprint and create a lot of atmosphere.

Was looking at Highbury pics again and found this one of the North bank being built. I think it has a lot of similarities to the old pics of the Wheatfield being built further up this page. The more I've looked at this the more I think a 13k stand could fit. 

construction-in-progress-on-the-new-nort

6 hours ago, Libertarian said:

Most folk behave perfectly well. Football supporters get treated really badly in this country because of the 'they Cannae behave' attitude of the primarily middle class morons, most of whom have never been to a game in their life, but who sit in jobs where they can influence the way people live their life. Just look at the background of most of our politicians.

Mate folk just can’t behave it’s a fact. A small minority ruin it for us all. 

19 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Was looking at Highbury pics again and found this one of the North bank being built. I think it has a lot of similarities to the old pics of the Wheatfield being built further up this page. The more I've looked at this the more I think a 13k stand could fit. 

construction-in-progress-on-the-new-nort

Back row of that lower tier can't be seeing much.

4 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

£10m! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Back row of that lower tier can't be seeing much.fi

Very similar to a lot of US football stadiums. You can see the pitch just fine but the stand across is pretty well blocked.

UNC Plan Room: Facility Info

I agree with @Mysterionthough—Highbury is a good comparison. A new Wheatfield that sat 13k would take us to 27k which would be tremendous.

If you rebuilt the end stands at the same time you could consider filling in the corners too which might get you another 1-2k.

All after dealing with the ethanol and land ownership and all that.

Watt-Zeefuik
4 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Lovely thought but absolutely not. Rebuilding the roof structures is millions on its own before you start doing seats, and probably involves structurally modifying the stands as well, so more cost there. We need a few million to deal with the ethanol. Then adding the seats, the seat structures, the toilets and food stands and all that is probably £10-15m alone. And then there's land acquisition and moving the memorial garden.

Add to that, there's almost certainly not room in the corners for more than about 2-3k seats total.

So probably something like £25m for 2-3k seats.

19 minutes ago, Homme said:

x by five maybe.

Is the correct answer. I think £50m would be enough to get us close to 30k, and that we should do that and will do that, but not until like 2035.

If we ever do it, a C shaped rebuild of the three older stands has to be the way forward. It makes sense as the only way to maximise our footprint - and to get past the limitations from the floodlight pylons. 

it is a massive job and not one we need to do now. As other posters have mentioned, plenty to do in the interim to get our ducks lined up. 

if we can sort the tanks and buy up a few small parcels of land, finance and planning would be our limitations. 

i guess we have to hope the current board stay around long enough to use their influence effectively. 

22 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Im sure if it was a £1000 fine and a lifetime ban from every ground for life they would behave....

But that's not going to happen

Demand for our home leg next Thursday will be in excess of 30k....We have a huge potential support at Hearts. I hope one day this is made possible.....All it takes is a chance to watch the club at a higher level and to challenge for trophies...The clubs also have a very fair and more affordable pricing structure...Long may it continue.....The future is bright. the future is maroon & white.

The fact that Hearts have sold out the Zurich home tie this Thursday is yet more evidence that we need to somehow increase the capacity at Tynecastle to at least 25,000.

Gorgie_Rules
1 hour ago, Libertarian said:

The fact that Hearts have sold out the Zurich home tie this Thursday is yet more evidence that we need to somehow increase the capacity at Tynecastle to at least 25,000.

The only feasible way we can do that is to knock down the Wheatfield and start again it seems, but even then it seems like the foodlights would have to remain in position for the Roseburn/Gorgie roofs.

There is a decent sized bit land behind the Wheatfield but we’d potentially need to acquire some of the land from the distillery and definitely the pitch behind.

I assume we’d want to keep the recent renovations intact, new changing rooms and office etc. We’d probably be looking at a minimum of 20million so afraid we are probably maxed out for the foreseeable.

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

We're selling out now because we are winning more games than we are losing. 

Hit the skids a bit and we'll be back down to 10-12k. 

No point in expanding Tynie until the Johnny Come Latelys have proven themselves and we sell out every week for a few years. 

To "complete" Tynie now we need disco lights. 

Stadium is perfect. 

One major change that has to be made is the atmosphere.  We get plaudits for the stadium being an intimidating place to come but watching Rangers at Easter Road today they created a hell of a noise for more than the 90 minutes.  We got drowned out by the Ross County fans a few weeks ago at Tynie.  Place is like a library at times, people are not going to like this but it’s the truth.  Tynecastle rocking can be worth points to us over the course of a season with fans dragging the team through poor performances.  Things need to change somehow.  Some are going to disagree with this but there is no denying it’s not as noisy or intimidating as it used to be.

27 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

No point in expanding Tynie until the Johnny Come Latelys have proven themselves and we sell out every week for a few years. 

Stadium is perfect. 

WTAF are you on about.....We have been down twice recently and averaged 15-17k .......Tyncastle is not a perfect stadium for our needs and our aspirations.......Then you splaff on about it has to be 3 years of sell outs lol......well this will practically happen and lose us many millions in lost revenue.....You now hold the small minded trophy of the month award...Congratulations to you there.....Your input is as poor as i have seen and would rather we did'nt stand still and  grew. into a more competitive club...The 4 european home games could bring in 120k-130k fans alone but it will be more like 78k....Now before you react to that figure you only need to look at past games.....The club is also much more attractive now and the pricing is spot on for families... 

You are intitled to your very unambitious opinion though....rock on..

1 minute ago, Mitch112277 said:

One major change that has to be made is the atmosphere.  We get plaudits for the stadium being an intimidating place to come but watching Rangers at Easter Road today they created a hell of a noise for more than the 90 minutes.  We got drowned out by the Ross County fans a few weeks ago at Tynie.  Place is like a library at times, people are not going to like this but it’s the truth.  Tynecastle rocking can be worth points to us over the course of a season with fans dragging the team through poor performances.  Things need to change somehow.  Some are going to disagree with this but there is no denying it’s not as noisy or intimidating as it used to be.

13 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

WTAF are you on about.....We have been down twice recently and averaged 15-17k .......Tyncastle is not a perfect stadium for our needs and our aspirations.......Then you splaff on about it has to be 3 years of sell outs lol......well this will practically happen and lose us many millions in lost revenue.....You now hold the small minded trophy of the month award...Congratulations to you there.....Your input is as poor as i have seen and would rather we did'nt stand still and  grew. into a more competitive club...The 4 european home games could bring in 120k-130k fans alone but it will be more like 78k....Now before you react to that figure you only need to look at past games.....The club is also much more attractive now and the pricing is spot on for families... 

You are intitled to your very unambitious opinion though....rock on..

Chrissy Boy, I admire your blind optimism but you need to be realistic. 

We only need to look at our neebs in Leith to see what happens when you build a ground too big for your needs. 

Fans don't need to buy ST's as they can easily pick up tickets in general sale. For any game. A slump in form and people will question attending a match or not which of course would result in an even lower attendance. 

I'd love to look into your crystal ball, no idea how you can confidently predict that sell outs *will practically* happen for a solid three years. Folk will be struggling to pay to put the heating on this winter let alone shelling out for going to the football. 

Our attendance figures for the last 5-10 years quite clearly show we don't need a bigger stadium right now. 

13 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

We only need to look at our neebs in Leith to see what happens when you build a ground too big for your needs. 

Fans don't need to buy ST's as they can easily pick up tickets in general sale. For any game. A slump in form and people will question attending a match or not which of course would result in an even lower attendance. 

I'd love to look into your crystal ball, no idea how you can confidently predict that sell outs *will practically* happen for a solid three years. Folk will be struggling to pay to put the heating on this winter let alone shelling out for going to the football. 

Our attendance figures for the last 5-10 years quite clearly show we don't need a bigger stadium right now. 

Are you seriously comparing us with Hibs? We are way bigger than that pish....and it takes lots of planning before anything is possible....So i'm sorry but i'm correct and the Hearts fanbase has been growing regardless of success for the past decade...Just a shame we wont be able to raise the extra income that required to sign better players...Aw well....our 18.8k approx is fine then.....It must be the scottish mentality....We are also the only country in the world to vote against independence....We all moan like fk about this and that yet we are happy to sit still while we fall even further behind in all walks of life....I can see why sky only offer what they do with clubs offering 75% of their home seats to the ugly sisters.....If you sit still you regress...I can see that yous are more than happy to finish 3rd and thats the top end of your ambition....Well i'm the complete opposite as i see the club at only 50% of it's true potential...Small minds, small outcome....Our thumping tomorrow will clarify that...We actually have fans that want to write the game off...wtaf...Wanting Hearts to lose has never ever crossed my mind....totally bonkers and sums scottish football up....2nd rate utter pish with no hope of ever doing anything.....oh unless someone with ambition turns up just like a man called Fergus McCann in 1995approx when that club where getting around 20k or less and he knew if he built it they would come....Boom....60k and we will never get near them again....we would need to grow to even have a slim chance and to play in a competition you have no chance of ever wining.... sounds totally scottish/fked up to me....AEK Athens  32k......Yet some fans are happy to lock these people out now that would drive our revenue towards 30 million....at this moment we need around 3-5k extra seats...Even Stevie Wonder can see that.....

9 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Are you seriously comparing us with Hibs? We are way bigger than that pish....and it takes lots of planning before anything is possible....So i'm sorry but i'm correct and the Hearts fanbase has been growing regardless of success for the past decade...Just a shame we wont be able to raise the extra income that required to sign better players...Aw well....our 18.8k approx is fine then.....It must be the scottish mentality....We are also the only country in the world to vote against independence....We all moan like fk about this and that yet we are happy to sit still while we fall even further behind in all walks of life....I can see why sky only offer what they do with clubs offering 75% of their home seats to the ugly sisters.....If you sit still you regress...I can see that yous are more than happy to finish 3rd and thats the top end of your ambition....Well i'm the complete opposite as i see the club at only 50% of it's true potential...Small minds, small outcome....Our thumping tomorrow will clarify that...We actually have fans that want to write the game off...wtaf...Wanting Hearts to lose has never ever crossed my mind....totally bonkers and sums scottish football up....2nd rate utter pish with no hope of ever doing anything.....oh unless someone with ambition turns up just like a man called Fergus McCann in 1995approx when that club where getting around 20k or less and he knew if he built it they would come....Boom....60k and we will never get near them again....we would need to grow to even have a slim chance and to play in a competition you have no chance of ever wining.... sounds totally scottish/fked up to me....AEK Athens  32k......Yet some fans are happy to lock these people out now that would drive our revenue towards 30 million....at this moment we need around 3-5k extra seats...Even Stevie Wonder can see that.....

Geez, you are on a crusade, well several actually. 

27 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Move over Budge. 

Chrisy boy has all the answers!

1 hour ago, Mitch112277 said:

We got drowned out by the 50 odd Ross County fans? :laugh:

Tynecastle is rocking for big games. Like any team, wee games don’t often get much atmosphere. 

Tuco Salamanca
2 hours ago, Mitch112277 said:

I agree regarding the atmosphere the only song we ever seem to sing out loud is

hearts hearts etc we must have sang it about 9 times at the final and hardly anything else,  a great as it is but it's decades too old we need something else of which I don't have the answer 🎶

Footballfirst

Off topic, but I note that Hearts have applied for planning permission to erect 6 portacabins at the Oriam to provide additional office space, storage and a women's changing room (approx 190sqm in total)

https://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/idoxpa-web/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=RGATJYEWJC200 

I don't know the cost, but would appear to at odds with any intention to move away from the Oriam anytime soon.

Percival King
3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Off topic, but I note that Hearts have applied for planning permission to erect 6 portacabins at the Oriam to provide additional office space, storage and a women's changing room (approx 190sqm in total)

https://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/idoxpa-web/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=RGATJYEWJC200 

I don't know the cost, but would appear to at odds with any intention to move away from the Oriam anytime soon.

Or could it be the opposite i.e. it's a cheaper, temporary solution to a  problem/need that exists now and needs addressed now and is preferable to spending more money on a more permanent solution but one that we can't justify if we don't see our long term future at Oriam? Just a thought.

Hungry hippo
3 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Still 7 years left on the Riccarton lease so I don't think it indicates anything about the long term plans. We couldn't wait that long if we are short of space now.

7 hours ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

The only feasible way we can do that is to knock down the Wheatfield and start again it seems, but even then it seems like the foodlights would have to remain in position for the Roseburn/Gorgie roofs.

There is a decent sized bit land behind the Wheatfield but we’d potentially need to acquire some of the land from the distillery and definitely the pitch behind.

I assume we’d want to keep the recent renovations intact, new changing rooms and office etc. We’d probably be looking at a minimum of 20million so afraid we are probably maxed out for the foreseeable.

We only just got planning permission to build the new main stand due to the proximity of the distillery .the chances of getting permission to build anything closer is non existent 

4 hours ago, kila said:

We got drowned out by the 50 odd Ross County fans? :laugh:

Tynecastle is rocking for big games. Like any team, wee games don’t often get much atmosphere. 

Exactly

1 hour ago, Sarah O said:

Stadium is perfect. 

I disagree with this point. Under Levein at his worst we were still pulling in solid crowds (16k down from 18k). I think its more about capitalising on success with the intention that it then breeds more success which can be done by ensuring competent appointments. I.e not making the mistake of allowing another Levein. We also have the benefit of not having a megalomaniac owner like Vlad so there is the stability to create a platform for success. 

36 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Are the screens going to be ready for Thursday 

I would think so. They appear to be installed now and are probably being tested etc this coming week.

Hectormasson
7 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

were far bigger than hibs, and them all.up here bar the arsecheeks, try telling a few on here that,?? 

Watt-Zeefuik
9 hours ago, Sarah O said:

I suppose "right now" is the key bit of this sentence, but our attendance figures for the last 15 years show steady year over year grown when attenuated for our relative success. I think we could easily do with 3-4k more seats this season but there's no possible way to just add a small whack of them.

3 hours ago, Rockwell said:

We only just got planning permission to build the new main stand due to the proximity of the distillery .the chances of getting permission to build anything closer is non existent 

The tanks at the distillery that cause most of the planning issues can be moved, and NBDC has said they're willing to move them as long as we foot a lot of the cost. We're not going to pay £2-3m to NBDC until there's a good reason to do so, but it doesn't mean it can never happen.

7 hours ago, MattyK82 said:

I would think so. They appear to be installed now and are probably being tested etc this coming week.

One of them has been damaged in transit. 

14 hours ago, Sarah O said:

I will say this as respectfully as I can but you are completely wrong. When a poor Hearts side was playing at Murrayfield we had 36,000 against Rangers, 26,000 against Aberdeen and if my memory serves me correctly around 20,000 against Kilmarnock. The fact that we have sold out our season tickets, sold out the home allocation against Ross County and Dundee United along with selling out against Zurich in record time all evidences the fact that we need a bigger capacity to continue growing the club. The problem is how do we do that. I really hope that the Board are working on this problem because the current capacity at Tynecastle is holding the club back.

12 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Not great but company would be liable

Not necessarily. But you'd like to hope so.

• davemclaren changed the title to TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )