TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )

rickyjambo

19 hours ago, iwasthere1954 said:

What every day. By now everyone should know, as it stands ,we cannot extend the stadium.

Chill out mate , its a forum, by design its for people to discuss any topic they want. You dont need to click on the thread if its uninteresting to you.

The demand is clearly there . Keep in mind when you are talking about your game with a 100 tickets left and not officially selling out, that most people dont want to come to an event and sit on their own for 90 minutes in the worst seats in the stadium. If you are basing your argument on how quickly single seats get snapped up, I dont really think its a fair reflection on the situation. 

Lets look at another tier getting added on the Wheatfield, aside from all the planning problems and cost which are obviously massive factors. You have then opened up far more available seats to groups of people in prime viewing position which will again be in demand and will sell before the Roseburn, if this allows more available seats in the away end you always have the option of giving the away support more.

Its not exactly promoting our club to the next generation. How many 16 year olds fancy buying themselves a ticket to sit away from their mates or families wanting a day out dotting themselves around a stand.

Just food for thought.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Sooks

• Watt-Zeefuik

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Safe standing along the lower tiers should be the next set of upgrades. 

Once the second screen has been sorted obviously. The first one looks great. 

3 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Safe standing along the lower tiers should be the next set of upgrades. 

Once the second screen has been sorted obviously. The first one looks great. 

Was loving all the rumours about safe standing when the new stand was being built.

Bungalow Bill
22 hours ago, rudeskaboyuk said:

That 2nd tunnel needs to go surely?

The 2nd tunnel is staying permanently. Source, Tynecastle employee.  

2 hours ago, Bungalow Bill said:

The 2nd tunnel is staying permanently. Source, Tynecastle employee.  

Why are there 2 seats in the 8 rows of the bottom tier that are not used next to the wheatfield tunnel? 

Section D.

On 28/08/2022 at 11:49, indianajones said:

To replace the old main stand which was a crumbling wreck. 

The rest of the stands are fine. The capacity is fine. 

Leave Tynie alone. 

You can sleep well tonight.

David Macaig is not going to redevelop Tynecastle while you sleep..

This thread is a psychological car crash.

It's a Pavlovian experiment. 

The optimists are the scientist's bell.

The pessimists are the slavering dogs – they just can't help themselves.

Edited by Hearts_fan

2 hours ago, Hearts_fan said:

This thread is a psychological car crash.

It's a Pavlovian experiment. 

The optimists are the scientist's bell.

The pessimists are the slavering dogs – they just can't help themselves.

You are too clever for this site 

The disco lights were sensational. 

Can't wait to see them in the proper dark. High chance they will be better than the football. 

1 hour ago, Sarah O said:

The disco lights were sensational. 

Can't wait to see them in the proper dark. High chance they will be better than the football. 

Maybe the club can have show nights where those thst think they are better than the football can go along and not be distracted by a match. 

I must be getting old as I don’t get the hype about some white lights flashing on and off. 🥸🤷‍♂️

Percival King
17 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Maybe the club can have show nights where those thst think they are better than the football can go along and not be distracted by a match. 

I must be getting old as I don’t get the hype about some white lights flashing on and off. 🥸🤷‍♂️

Old AND cynical, Dave - they don't just flash on and off, they seem to do it in a sequence, one stand flashes on whilst another flashes off .........I think.....but it all happens so quickly, maybe they ...could.... slow... the....flashing ....down...a ....wee ..... bit. 

12 minutes ago, Percival King said:

Old AND cynical, Dave - they don't just flash on and off, they seem to do it in a sequence, one stand flashes on whilst another flashes off .........I think.....but it all happens so quickly, maybe they ...could.... slow... the....flashing ....down...a ....wee ..... bit. 

THENSPEEDITBACKF*CKINGUP

3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Maybe the advancing years are having a negative impact on your eyes. 

Perhaps at a game later in the year, in darker conditions, you'll appreciate the on/off lights a bit more. 

Definitely last night's highlight for this young spunker. 

2 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Maybe the advancing years are having a negative impact on your eyes. 

Perhaps at a game later in the year, in darker conditions, you'll appreciate the on/off lights a bit more. 

Definitely last night's highlight for this young spunker. 

My glasses that I started having to wear all the time three years ago are a bit of a giveaway!!  🥸

If demand remains the same and our capacity is unchanged, then reducing the number of season tickets is the only fair way to allow fans into home games.

2 minutes ago, Section Q said:

If demand remains the same and our capacity is unchanged, then reducing the number of season tickets is the only fair way to allow fans into home games.

Not sure why that would be a good idea. Best get as much money upfront as possible imo. 

22 minutes ago, Section Q said:

That will never happen its a safeguard against various factors... sh*t form, weather, poor scheduling.

Your options are a bit sh*te as a non season ticket holder. Rule out all the big games domestic and in Europe and when seats are available they are behind the goals , beside the away fans and dotted singles.  Pretty much showing that the demand is there.

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, the general said:

The amended plans for the old Tynecastle High school have been recommended for approval

Final decision next week I think

Yaay more high quality student accommodation. Just what the city needs!

8 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

better than the eyesore that is there now my old school and might bring some extra revenue into the gorgie Community new restaurants opening in Dalry hopefully works it's way along to Gorgie

11 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Student accommodation would make private lets more available and would slow down the increase in private rents. 

If the city didn’t need student accommodation then they wouldn’t be built.

54 minutes ago, the general said:

The amended plans for the old Tynecastle High school have been recommended for approval

Final decision next week I think

Quite incredible that the ethanol tanks do not need to be moved in order for this to proceed. 

6 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

better than the eyesore that is there now my old school and might bring some extra revenue into the gorgie Community new restaurants opening in Dalry hopefully works it's way along to Gorgie

Totally agree 

Shooter McGavin

I think the club should definitely look into safe standing sections, possibly F, G, N & P?

Although I imagine it would be a non-starter unless it increased the capacity in those sections, and would thus increase revenue?

B27AEB23-F07A-4B69-A214-BC042D91C5F7.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I think the club should definitely look into safe standing sections, possibly F, G, N & P?

Although I imagine it would be a non-starter unless it increased the capacity in those sections, and would thus increase revenue?

The rules dictate 1:1 I think so that's a no go, but contrary to the old days, they might be able to charge a couple of quid more for the privilege of standing.

I remember being wee and thinking how weird it was that people sit in the stand, but stand on the terracing - this would scratch that childhood itch, I'm all for it.

1 hour ago, Mysterion said:

Quite incredible that the ethanol tanks do not need to be moved in order for this to proceed. 

Yeah, this resonates with me big time.  The council planning made it such a big issue for us but not for these plans?!?!?

3 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Yeah, this resonates with me big time.  The council planning made it such a big issue for us but not for these plans?!?!?

If our capacity had been circa 500-1000 folk spread over the same area, maybe they wouldn't have?

1 hour ago, the general said:

Could really change the area

So would flattening it but to be fair, any improvement would be welcome as it is an eyesore.

1 hour ago, **** the SPFL said:

Agreed see above.

1 hour ago, Bungalow Bill said:

Student accommodation would make private lets more available and would slow down the increase in private rents. 

If the city didn’t need student accommodation then they wouldn’t be built.

But why STUDENT accommodation? Are locals not screaming out for affordable accommodation in Gorgie/Dalry area? These places lie empty in the summer and the Air B&B mob then turn up. How does that help locals priced out of the city?

57 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

If our capacity had been circa 500-1000 folk spread over the same area, maybe they wouldn't have?

Safety is safety, no matter the numbers involved.

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

that makes little sense unless you think an exploding impacting 500-1000 people is in any way acceptable.

the likelihood of an incident happening within a precise 2 hours window on 36 specific occasions during the year is far smaller than the likelihood of impacting 1000 residents  who live on site permanently.

1 hour ago, Heartsofgold said:

Safety is safety, no matter the numbers involved.

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

that makes little sense unless you think an exploding impacting 500-1000 people is in any way acceptable.

the likelihood of an incident happening within a precise 2 hours window on 36 specific occasions during the year is far smaller than the likelihood of impacting 1000 residents  who live on site permanently.

It's about speed of evacuation. If something happens, you want to get people out there as fast as possible. 500-1000 people take roughly the same amount of time to move out no matter how long they've spent there. Getting 20k people out of a stadium quickly and safely is considerably harder.

That's the essence of our problem with the COMAH regs.

4 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

It’s almost certainly exactly what Gorgie needs in my opinion.  Might bring some life to it on non-matchdays 

2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

So would flattening it but to be fair, any improvement would be welcome as it is an eyesore.

Agreed see above.

But why STUDENT accommodation? Are locals not screaming out for affordable accommodation in Gorgie/Dalry area? These places lie empty in the summer and the Air B&B mob then turn up. How does that help locals priced out of the city?

The new flats on the school site and the new flats at the end of Westfield Road should free up a lot of private rental accommodation  in the area. 

Unfortunately, the city does need it.  A family member cannot find any accommodation in Edinburgh after leaving student flats in first year, and has been living back home travelling up for work and about 10 flat viewings a day.  Any flat that goes up has about 50 other people interested, and half the time they are already gone before the viewing happens.  This is a common story with students across the whole city with thousands unable to find places to live.  Student accommodation at least keeps them out of the private rents and frees up space for non-students, and there is a chronic lack of space for them.

Your problem should be with the rental market in Edinburgh, and AirBnb helping to absolutely **** it in recent years.  The Universities only have so many places, but there is not enough accommodation to match.  More student flats doesn't create more students, they are already here.

The Wrinkly Ninja

It is. There’s a shortage of student accommodation in Edinburgh.

Feels weird because they seem to be everywhere but there is.

Students living in student accommodation means that there are less HMO’s elsewhere which should make the rental market better for non-students.

1 hour ago, tian447 said:

Unfortunately, the city does need it.  A family member cannot find any accommodation in Edinburgh after leaving student flats in first year, and has been living back home travelling up for work and about 10 flat viewings a day.  Any flat that goes up has about 50 other people interested, and half the time they are already gone before the viewing happens.  This is a common story with students across the whole city with thousands unable to find places to live.  Student accommodation at least keeps them out of the private rents and frees up space for non-students, and there is a chronic lack of space for them.

Your problem should be with the rental market in Edinburgh, and AirBnb helping to absolutely **** it in recent years.  The Universities only have so many places, but there is not enough accommodation to match.  More student flats doesn't create more students, they are already here.

Curious , how many students in Edinburgh ?

How many student flats ?

7 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Curious , how many students in Edinburgh ?

How many student flats ?

Be hard to get official numbers for that with the number of private student accommodation dotted around, but for example, I think Heriot Watt have space for 1600 students in their own accommodation, but have nearly 21000 students. Assuming that roughly 1/5th of that is first year students who are far more likely to stay in halls, that's still around 2500 first year students who will need to find a space in one of the private ones.

Heres a question, will the student flats introduce any addition building restrictions on the club in the future? And, is there scope to purchase any land from the developers to give us some room?

I.e if we wanted to massively expand the Wheatfield and got the necessary land to make it viable, (ala St James Park, something which would be higher than the main stand.. obviously not as high as there though) 

5 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Disagree. If the stadium capacity cannot be increased because the ideal capacity (c23k) isn't economically viable (huge cost 8 figure cost to add only a couple thousand seats), then its about making the match day experience as good as possible. If the fans want safe standing, then it should be something seriously considered. 

Something that could be looked at for example would be to move the family section into the main stand or Wheatfield and turn the Gorgie stand into a full safe standing stand. Plenty of grumblings about atmosphere so would potentially be a good way to group everyone that wants to stand and sing for 90 minutes together whilst not infringing on fans that get frustrated at others standing. 

I think its a no brainer tbh. 

22 minutes ago, OTT said:

Disagree. If the stadium capacity cannot be increased because the ideal capacity (c23k) isn't economically viable (huge cost 8 figure cost to add only a couple thousand seats), then its about making the match day experience as good as possible. If the fans want safe standing, then it should be something seriously considered. 

Something that could be looked at for example would be to move the family section into the main stand or Wheatfield and turn the Gorgie stand into a full safe standing stand. Plenty of grumblings about atmosphere so would potentially be a good way to group everyone that wants to stand and sing for 90 minutes together whilst not infringing on fans that get frustrated at others standing. 

Apart from the fact that the folk in the Gorgie stand might not want to move. 

Shooter McGavin
6 hours ago, Smithee said:

The rules dictate 1:1 I think so that's a no go, but contrary to the old days, they might be able to charge a couple of quid more for the privilege of standing.

I remember being wee and thinking how weird it was that people sit in the stand, but stand on the terracing - this would scratch that childhood itch, I'm all for it.

I think in some instances it can increase capacity, in others I think it can actually lower capacity. I think it’s all to do with how shallow or steep the actual stand itself is.

Again, not a bad idea with regards to paying extra to get in those sections, I’d imagine it would attract a certain demographic and those sections would be buzzing. I think most lower G and N pretty much stand up anyway, would be good to give them the safe infrastructure.

3 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

The new flats on the school site and the new flats at the end of Westfield Road should free up a lot of private rental accommodation  in the area. 

Dont think it will ...sturgeon sold alot of university places  to the Chinese government that took uplot of student accommodation....

Shooter McGavin
1 hour ago, OTT said:

Agree with your second point, a Dortmund “yellow wall” springs to mind, that would be cool, although a complete fantasy at this stage.

Tbh, I don’t think folk from G & N would be up for moving, I think being in such close proximity to the away fans to give them a bit is what they’re after.

I do think safe standing should be implemented at some level though, again, it all comes down to how much it’ll cost and how much it’ll generate and like you say, may not be that much.

2 hours ago, taylor75 said:

Dont think it will ...sturgeon sold alot of university places  to the Chinese government that took uplot of student accommodation....

😄 

WheatfieldWarrior
3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Apart from the fact that the folk in the Gorgie stand might not want to move. 

The hospitality seats in the Gorgie stand would also be a clumsy offering if you had to walk from the Gorgie Suite to the Wheatfield. 

• davemclaren changed the title to TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )