TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )

rickyjambo

I'm no structural engineer, but the design and footprint of the current stadium massively limit expansion options. 

Since the Pieman days I changed my mind about whether redeveloping Tynie or moving to a new stadium was best. In the end I was delighted to stay, as 19,000 was what we needed and Tynecastle's a unique place that'll never be bettered. The new main stand is owned by all of us.  

If we maintain our current position or even gradually better it, we'll need to have a conversation about a new stadium in 4-5 years time. Tynie could become the thing that holds us back.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Sooks

• Watt-Zeefuik

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Percival King
30 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Wonder if we could sell Tynie to Cala Homes or Tesco and move to Murrayfield.  

Don't credit me with this innovative idea.  I saw it on another website.

And if we can't sell out Murrayfield, we could put massive covers over the top tier to screen it off so that nobody notices we've got 25,000 folk in a 67,000 capacity stadium.

part_time_jambo
On 25/06/2022 at 23:20, Led Tasso said:

Yes, and they frown on more than one in the same city. Two is somewhat allowable, three is probably out.

At least one of Parkhead, Ibrox, and Hampden are likely redundant in a bid. A few years ago a Scotland + Ireland + Wales bid was mooted, using Aviva, Millennium, and the Scottish stadiums, and something akin to that is likely the only way Scotland would get a bid.

WC bids are a Faustian tilt anyway—see the stadium in Manaus in Brazil, a 40k stadium that's probably not seen a crowd over 15k since.

They would have to use Hampden as it's the national stadium, although it wouldn't surprise me if it was maximum 2 from one city, they would choose Ibrox and Celtic Park to avoid upsetting either of the easily offended.

part_time_jambo
On 26/06/2022 at 17:09, frankblack said:

Complete drivel.

The sort of funds we would need to raise put that completely out of the picture any time soon.

History has shown that our season ticket sales bump up when we are playing well but drop back to about 12k on average.  Your projection is that we will continue to strengthen the team and stretch clear of our competitors gaining lots more funding lacks any evidence.  In the past decade we have been relegated and demoted and nearly gone out of business.

We are going through a cost of living crisis which could last years and the likelihood is that fewer people will be able to afford spending on luxuries such as football.

Stop being so realistic on this fantasy thread.

Alec Eiffel
1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

If we can put together 3 seasons where we are playing exciting football, competing for honours, playing in Europe, that will be the time imo to look at expanding the stadium.

We are in a very strong place as we stand.  Let's hope we can build on it.  I think we can.

Question Doug, when did you last set foot in Tynecastle?  

8 minutes ago, Alec Eiffel said:

Question Doug, when did you last set foot in Tynecastle?  

2006.  Hearts 4, Dunfermline 0.

Brilliant.  Place was packed to the door.

Why do you ask?

Libertarian
1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

2006.  Hearts 4, Dunfermline 0.

Brilliant.  Place was packed to the door.

Why do you ask?

I was just home from London and this was my first game back at Tynecastle for ages. Couldn't get tickets for the Hearts end for me my wife and our two kids so bought tickets for the Dunfermline section. 

Libertarian
3 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Most of the fast growing population of Midlothian have came out from Edinburgh. 

Edinburgh's population is growing at around 5% per annum, which is an enormous increase. Edinburgh is predicted to regain its place as Scotland's biggest city by 2037 and some projections suggest that Edinburgh's population could be in excess of 750,000 sometime in the 2nd half of the 21st Century. As has been noted previously surrounding local authorities, particularly East & Midlothian are growing fast. This contrasts with Glasgow and the west of the country whose population growth is either stagnant or even declining. 

King Of The Cat Cafe
3 hours ago, blairdin said:

I'm no structural engineer, but the design and footprint of the current stadium massively limit expansion options. 

Since the Pieman days I changed my mind about whether redeveloping Tynie or moving to a new stadium was best. In the end I was delighted to stay, as 19,000 was what we needed and Tynecastle's a unique place that'll never be bettered. The new main stand is owned by all of us.  

If we maintain our current position or even gradually better it, we'll need to have a conversation about a new stadium in 4-5 years time. Tynie could become the thing that holds us back.

That is where I stand too.  We can tinker around the edges and add a few thousand here and there, but if we ever need 30,000+, a move from Gorgie will need to be considered.

It's not just the restrictions of the site.  Even if it could take a 30,000-seater stadium, we might have a hard sell to convince the council - and residents - that 30,000 people 25 times a season (give or take a couple) would be acceptable on the streets.

Bazzas right boot

Move the tanks. 

Expand the stand. 

Full in da corners. 

Joab done 

Bazzas right boot
21 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

That is where I stand too.  We can tinker around the edges and add a few thousand here and there, but if we ever need 30,000+, a move from Gorgie will need to be considered.

It's not just the restrictions of the site.  Even if it could take a 30,000-seater stadium, we might have a hard sell to convince the council - and residents - that 30,000 people 25 times a season (give or take a couple) would be acceptable on the streets.

As opposed to 20k or the 67k at Murrayfield every so often. 

30k is also quite a jump. 

We're not filling that every week. 

18 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

As opposed to 20k or the 67k at Murrayfield every so often. 

The season ticket sales are great, but we won't even sell out the current stadium every week next season.

A brand new 25k capacity stadium built on Sighthill pitches, with the capability to easily to expand to 30k in the future should the need arise, would have been the dream scenario for me. Modelled on the current stadium closely, only with a bigger pitch and cantilever supports, allowing the corners to be filled in. Not too far from Tynecastle and on the tram route. Ideal if we had the money to chuck at it.

Libertarian
3 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

A brand new 25k capacity stadium built on Sighthill pitches, with the capability to easily to expand to 30k in the future should the need arise, would have been the dream scenario for me. Modelled on the current stadium closely, only with a bigger pitch and cantilever supports, allowing the corners to be filled in. Not too far from Tynecastle and on the tram route. Ideal if we had the money to chuck at it.

I wonder how much Hearts would raise by the sale of the current location. It wouldn't be enough to build a new stadium but it would go some way towards that.

On 26/06/2022 at 17:46, Nobreath said:

image.png.2af008fcd4c9f81cf4be28706520fbad.png

Very quick graph done on lunchbreak... shows there is an upward trend. 

A 8,513 difference between the first and most recent data point. So in 32 years worth of data, attendance has increased by 8,513. At that trend, which I hasten to add was during eras such as that of Robinson but also the flip side of the Romanov years, we would need a 30k seater stadium around 2050. That may be sooner if we continue to be fan owned and go from strength to strength. It would be a great problem to have. 

image.png.b8faad0652524d4afc1f822196d029de.png

23 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Could’ve been there already….

5 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Could’ve been there already….

Ah well. At least we didn't get lumbered with a running track around the pitch,

Bazzas right boot
55 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I was never against this like so e where. 

That ship has sailed tho. 

Tynecastle isn't really great for a Hearts side that is continually successful. 

Doesn't meet European requirements and is very limited capacity wise. 

We'd need to be consistent tho for it to be an issue. 

I think it will be an issue in about 5 years. 

6 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Most of the fast growing population of Midlothian have came out from Edinburgh. 

Yes but as they do the population of Edinburgh is growing too 

Libertarian
5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Shared 30,000 stadium with Hibs perhaps? 🤓

I personally wouldn't be opposed to that, however we are likely to leave our city rivals trailing in our wake as we are now as the FOH contributions and the bigger attendances mean that we will always have the financial edge over that lot and will consequently begin to leave them even further behind than they are already.

Watt-Zeefuik
On 27/06/2022 at 06:22, Martin_T said:

Cost effective being the key. Very little point on throwing millions at what may result in only a marginal increase in income, if any.

Exactly. If we could add 2-3k seats for £5m or something right now, it would absolutely make sense, but the reality is that to do anything we have to drop millions before we do any construction if we want to do anything.

18 hours ago, frankblack said:

Not really.  We have been here before and seen demand fall back when results aren't as good.

No, they don't. Or rather, they fall back but our low seasons are now higher than our high seasons were 20 years ago and our current highs have never been reached before in the all seater era. There are success effects, but the base support continues to grow significantly.

17 hours ago, trotter said:

*sighs

I wish people would stop being so fixated on the storage tanks. Yes, they are an issue (and probably the major one), but let's not forget even if they WERE moved, the distillery and the MS site next door are still functioning Tier 1 CoMAH sites with residual hazards still there. Any potential stadium expansion would require a detailed risk assessment to confirm/deny there is any significant issues. They may find something, they may not, but it still needs to be done. 

It is not, and never has been, a case of 'just move the tanks and it'll be fine'. 

Technically yes, but when we did the new Main I read the COMAH report for it front to back, and it's very clear that the storage tanks closest to the Roseburn are far and away the biggest issue. If there had been other issues with NBDC, they would have been turned up in that report (and there were a few others, but mostly related to other ethanol installations on the site).

5 hours ago, part_time_jambo said:

They would have to use Hampden as it's the national stadium, although it wouldn't surprise me if it was maximum 2 from one city, they would choose Ibrox and Celtic Park to avoid upsetting either of the easily offended.

I'm a broken record on this, but maintaining a third large all-seater stadium in Glasgow is a complete waste. Scottish government should come up with better safety protocols for safe standing, and convert Hampden back to standing terraces and push the capacity over 100k. Yes, it would mean it will be out of service for international duty, but Scotland could use club stadia (not just the OF) and give clubs some revenue.

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Aberdeen are looking at £75k minimum to do a 20k stadium. I still don't know why anyone would ditch Tynecastle to spend more money at a new site, at least until it's proven that Tynie *can't* be expanded, which is possible but on the evidence I've seen is unlikely. (And FWIW while I don't know Scottish urban regs intimately, planning is my background.)

Edited by Led Tasso

4 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Aberdeen are looking at £75k minimum to do a 20k stadium. I still don't know why anyone would ditch Tynecastle to spend more money at a new site, at least until it's proven that Tynie *can't* be expanded, which is possible but on the evidence I've seen is unlikely. (And FWIW while I don't know Scottish urban regs intimately, planning is my background.)

£75k? Bargain, we should have went down this route. :thumbsup:

part_time_jambo
10 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

£75k? Bargain, we should have went down this route. :thumbsup:

He said "minimum".

2 hours ago, Libertarian said:

I wonder how much Hearts would raise by the sale of the current location. It wouldn't be enough to build a new stadium but it would go some way towards that.

Nowhere near

Libertarian
Just now, Thomaso said:

Nowhere near

You are probably correct but it would be interesting to know. I bet the club is aware of how much the land could go for and the approximate cost of a new build. e.g. £50m new stadium minus £12m for the sale of Tynecastle = 38m repayble over 30 years. All the afore-mentioned figures are purely hypothetical but I would be surprised if the club hadn't thought about this. 

kingantti1874

Aberdeen £75m  is for a stadium with 16/17k seats. For a 30k stadium at least £100m 

we’d be better gradually finding ways to increase capacity 

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

Aberdeen £75m  is for a stadium with 16/17k seats. For a 30k stadium at least £100m 

we’d be better gradually finding ways to increase capacity 

Exactly.

And I continue to maintain that if we were to do it today (which I don't think we should), converting Tynecastle to 30k seats is about a £50m operation.

So literally twice as much money to leave Tynecastle. Madness.

Let's enjoy our packed out stadium, and start putting a portion of European winnings in the sock drawer for a future stadium improvement.

28 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Exactly.

And I continue to maintain that if we were to do it today (which I don't think we should), converting Tynecastle to 30k seats is about a £50m operation.

So literally twice as much money to leave Tynecastle. Madness.

Let's enjoy our packed out stadium, and start putting a portion of European winnings in the sock drawer for a future stadium improvement.

Depends if some property developer has an eye on greenbelt land then they could use us as a makeweight to get the planning permission for their deal, chipping in substantially to the build cost of a stadium.

King Of The Cat Cafe
4 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

As opposed to 20k or the 67k at Murrayfield every so often

I knew someone would pick up on Murrayfield...

Yes, it takes up to 67,000, but the location is much more open.

Roseburn Street is not as heavily used as Wheatfield Road/Western Approach Road and Gorgie Road, so the impact on traffic is less.  Already we have heavy footfall on Gorgie Road and an assemblage of buses at Wheatfield Road.

Murrayfield also has its own tram stop.

The days of big sport stadiums in crowded residential areas is over.  Local authorities are less willing to accept an increased impact on residents.

Yes, 30,000 is a dream, but as others on this thread have indicated, it's a dream that may never be fulfilled in Gorgie.

Watt-Zeefuik
11 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Depends if some property developer has an eye on greenbelt land then they could use us as a makeweight to get the planning permission for their deal, chipping in substantially to the build cost of a stadium.

Is a property developer seriously going to chip in £20m on a stadium? How is a football stadium going to impress the planning board?

I suppose it could happen, but at the same time a property developer could also buy out NBDC for flats.

Watt-Zeefuik
3 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

Roseburn Street is not as heavily used as Wheatfield Road/Western Approach Road and Gorgie Road, so the impact on traffic is less.  Already we have heavy footfall on Gorgie Road and an assemblage of buses at Wheatfield Road.

The days of big sport stadiums in crowded residential areas is over.  Local authorities are less willing to accept an increased impact on residents.

Yes, 30,000 is a dream, but as others on this thread have indicated, it's a dream that may never be fulfilled in Gorgie.

White Hart Lane is surrounded by flat blocks and high rises?

30 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Is a property developer seriously going to chip in £20m on a stadium? How is a football stadium going to impress the planning board?

I suppose it could happen, but at the same time a property developer could also buy out NBDC for flats.

They will if the net gain for them is big.  Land in Edinburgh is scarce and goes for premium prices.

It is more realistic than trying to increase Tynecastle's capacity significantly.

King Of The Cat Cafe
1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

White Hart Lane is surrounded by flat blocks and high rises?

A good point!  We could do the same.  Buy up lots of properties around the ground, demolish the stadium and then build a new one on the site, along with 2,500 new homes, as well as restaurants and open spaces.

£1 billion is all Spurs needed, so, better start looking down the back of the sofa if we go down that route.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/01/tottenham-hotspur-stadium-redevelopment-haringey-neighbours. is a good read.

(No offence meant to you, Led.  It just the number of hoops that Spurs, Everton and others have had to jump through.)

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

They will if the net gain for them is big.  Land in Edinburgh is scarce and goes for premium prices.

It is more realistic than trying to increase Tynecastle's capacity significantly.

I'm sorry but this makes no sense. Land in Edinburgh is scarce, so we're not only going to get it for free but someone is going to bung up lots of the construction cost? And what is the net gain? How does proposing a football stadium in the development smooth council approval? It would seem the opposite would be true!

The issues around expanding Tynecastle are remarkable in that they are largely down to a relatively small number of factors, one of which makes it cost prohibitive at the moment, but which could be solved with a sizable but still doable chunk of cash.

A £100m stadium that depends on a mythical benevolent developer is emphatically not more realistic than a £50m expansion of Tynecastle that relies on a single company agreeing to do what it has offered to do in the past, likely for more money.

38 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

A good point!  We could do the same.  Buy up lots of properties around the ground, demolish the stadium and then build a new one on the site, along with 2,500 new homes, as well as restaurants and open spaces.

£1 billion is all Spurs needed, so, better start looking down the back of the sofa if we go down that route.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/01/tottenham-hotspur-stadium-redevelopment-haringey-neighbours. is a good read.

(No offence meant to you, Led.  It just the number of hoops that Spurs, Everton and others have had to jump through.)

Aye, and if we needed a Murrayfield-sized stadium, we'd need a £1B budget too.

To put it differently, Spurs had around £320M in annual revenue before moving into their new stadium. Hearts currently have about £16M in annual revenue, or about 5% of Spurs. As stated before, £50m would likely get us an expanded stadium, about 5% of what Spurs spent on new White Hart Lane.

EDIT: One last point—US trends and UK trends are not the same, but the trend in the US is emphatically away from greenfield stadiums surrounded by parking lots and directly towards urban stadiums close to transit centers. Moving to a greenfield site was the done thing in the 70s and 80s. The reverse is happening now.

Edited by Led Tasso

Currently the ground capacity suffices the needs, lets see sustained high league placings over the next 2-3 years and see how the fan base is also sustained,

I would like to see the away support cut to the minimum to increase walk ups ( apart from Hibs)

9 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I know this is all hypothetical, but Dave Cormack seems to think Aberdeen will get between £12-14m for Pittodrie if they relocate. Bit dubious about that, but in fairness, who knows. Anyway, I'd imagine the land Tynie sits on to be worth a lot more than that, especially with any spare land in the city being gold dust. 

I'm not advocating moving, its just interesting to see a club looking at doing just that and the amount they expect for the land they're giving up. 

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/aberdeens-new-stadium-timeline-revealed-and-what-next-for-pittodrie-3710150

“Clearly we are landlocked at Pittodrie. The £12-£14million we might get for Pittodrie is going to be critical to go towards the new stadium.''

Bungalow Bill

Why don’t we just stay at Tynecastle as is, and play the bigger fixtures at Murrayfield? Properly make it our second home. 

Howdy Doody Jambo
14 minutes ago, Apache Mal said:

Why don’t we just stay at Tynecastle as is, and play the bigger fixtures at Murrayfield? Properly make it our second home. 

Naw, we just can't rock up at Murrayfield if we just want to, it comes at a price, we barely win their, the atmosphere for football isn't as good as Tynecaste, it's not home, another few thousand seat's could only be accommodated by adjusting the Wheatfield and the Roseburn but would cost millions 

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, OTT said:

I know this is all hypothetical, but Dave Cormack seems to think Aberdeen will get between £12-14m for Pittodrie if they relocate. Bit dubious about that, but in fairness, who knows. Anyway, I'd imagine the land Tynie sits on to be worth a lot more than that, especially with any spare land in the city being gold dust. 

I'm not advocating moving, its just interesting to see a club looking at doing just that and the amount they expect for the land they're giving up. 

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/aberdeens-new-stadium-timeline-revealed-and-what-next-for-pittodrie-3710150

“Clearly we are landlocked at Pittodrie. The £12-£14million we might get for Pittodrie is going to be critical to go towards the new stadium.''

No idea personally, but the administrators in 2013/14 seemed to think Tynie would fetch £2.5-4m at the time. I can imagine it's gone up but I don't about that much.

I know it's not the swankiest part of Aberdeen (tut), but flats at Pittodrie would have some decent water views.

2 hours ago, OTT said:

I'm no expert, but they are at it to say they are landlocked, there's tons of space, Stewart milne just want to build the flats. We on the other hand were definitely landlocked 

14 hours ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

At this moment we don't need 30k but we are defiantly short for all the big games of around 3/4k....lots of lost revenue.

The heading of this thread is what has been missed so many times.  Whats possible.....something/nothing? 

If it's noting then that's really sad that we cant grow the club and the fanbase.

Growing the football club is a slow progression and you can clearly see it's happening.  19k is just short right now....It's lost revenue season after season...I would hate to think the club aren't even looking at this as it takes a while to plan anything never mind fund it. 

Maybe we can ask the club at the end of this season and see where we are....A long period of stability will make the club even more popular....To think the way the economy is and we are practically sold out for the new season tells you of the potential...Good times ahead......But can we grow...or is this it...19k lol.....

11 hours ago, fila said:

Currently the ground capacity suffices the needs, lets see sustained high league placings over the next 2-3 years and see how the fan base is also sustained,

I would like to see the away support cut to the minimum to increase walk ups ( apart from Hibs)

Those advocating purchasing land around Tynie may find its long gone by the time any extension is proposed.  The flats in the old Tynecastle school will be long built and the land behind the Wheatfield may have gone too.

I think Tynecastle is highly unlikely to be viable for any extension by the time we would consider it.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Those advocating purchasing land around Tynie may find its long gone by the time any extension is proposed.  The flats in the old Tynecastle school will be long built and the land behind the Wheatfield may have gone too.

I think Tynecastle is highly unlikely to be viable for any extension by the time we would consider it.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Well is we are stuck then we should have left years ago....Very poor investment and not being able to grow the business....19k will get us fk all 

Libertarian

It's maybe a question which can be asked of the board by the FOH or other supporters groups (is the Federation of Hearts Supporters still in existence). Has the board carried out any feasibility studies about the possibility of increasing the capacity at Tynecastle and if this isn't possible the option of moving to a new location to allow the club to expand?

9 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Well is we are stuck then we should have left years ago....Very poor investment and not being able to grow the business....19k will get us fk all 

I love being “stuck” at Tynecastle - our home and the most atmospheric stadium in Scotland!

20 hours ago, fila said:

Definitely cut the OF allocation to the tiny % they give us at Parkhead and Ibrox!

Watt-Zeefuik
9 hours ago, frankblack said:

This is why everyone who's taken more than a quick look at this is talking about the Wheatfield. The only real possible expansion of the end stands is (yes I'll say it) filling in the corners. But the Wheatfield could double in size.

What's behind the Wheatfield is a car park that we already own and a community pitch owned by NBDC that they (quite fairly) insist stays. However, they also own land at the other end that's largely vacant and which could accommodate having the pitch relocated in that direction. in a world where we're already making a payment to NBDC to deal with the ethanol issue, that's just an item of negotiation.

With that space made available, along with possibly one or two of NBDC's warehouse buildings closest to the stadium, there's room for a much larger Wheatfield, possibly 6-8k larger.

Again, this is not currently financially realistic and a regularly packed-out Tynie this season will be great. But in terms of potential, it's a single land owner that we already have to deal with b/c of the ethanol.

Libertarian
4 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

This is why everyone who's taken more than a quick look at this is talking about the Wheatfield. The only real possible expansion of the end stands is (yes I'll say it) filling in the corners. But the Wheatfield could double in size.

What's behind the Wheatfield is a car park that we already own and a community pitch owned by NBDC that they (quite fairly) insist stays. However, they also own land at the other end that's largely vacant and which could accommodate having the pitch relocated in that direction. in a world where we're already making a payment to NBDC to deal with the ethanol issue, that's just an item of negotiation.

With that space made available, along with possibly one or two of NBDC's warehouse buildings closest to the stadium, there's room for a much larger Wheatfield, possibly 6-8k larger.

Again, this is not currently financially realistic and a regularly packed-out Tynie this season will be great. But in terms of potential, it's a single land owner that we already have to deal with b/c of the ethanol.

I think that if we could add 6 to 8k to the capacity that would be ideal for the time being. It's great that we have sold out our season tickets, but as I have mentioned earlier I was on the verge of purchasing a season ticket for my adult daughter and I suspect that there are plenty more like me. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that we could be selling in excess of 18,000 season tickets in a few years. It's all lost revenue which is hindering the growth of the club.

• davemclaren changed the title to TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )