TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )

rickyjambo

28 minutes ago, The Spy Who Loved Me said:

Why not look into buying Carrick Knowe golf course?

This was back in 2018 / financial difficulties:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/shock-popular-carrick-knowe-golf-club-announces-closure-220408?amp

Huge swathes of land, stadium, hotels, car parks, training ground etc the potential is huge.

Make on offer?

That would cost an absolutely fortune, and the travel infrastructure would have to be changed dramatically around it, as current 2 entrances are both accessible only via balgreen road. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Sooks

• Watt-Zeefuik

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

davemclaren
31 minutes ago, The Spy Who Loved Me said:

Why not look into buying Carrick Knowe golf course?

This was back in 2018 / financial difficulties:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/shock-popular-carrick-knowe-golf-club-announces-closure-220408?amp

Huge swathes of land, stadium, hotels, car parks, training ground etc the potential is huge.

Make on offer?

How much should we offer? 😄

40 minutes ago, Apache Mal said:

While we’re in dreamland about extending Tynie to 30,000 and purchasing a listed building allocated for accommodation, has anyone suggested we put a roof on Tynie?

Don’t forget regular success on the pitch, I always thought that was key to the growth of a club?😀.    I love ambition but it’s got to be realistic in the moment.  Hearts are only ever a shite season away from STs dropping off the next one after. 

We’ve steadied the ship on the park. Back into the top 3, STs sales up…..consistency is the aim now. Season after season of top 3 and keep pushing for the cups.  The support would grow steadily on that alone.

Edited by Debut 4

34 minutes ago, swavkav said:

That would cost an absolutely fortune, and the travel infrastructure would have to be changed dramatically around it, as current 2 entrances are both accessible only via balgreen road. 

I would think that any future stadium upgrade would probably be out in greenbelt land where a property developer uses us to get planning permission for land and throws in the new stadium or a significant chunk of it.

As I said though, this would be way way off in the future.

Have we ever averaged over 18,500 for home games, outside of perhaps the 1950s?

Part of the attraction IMO of the current Tynecastle, is that it usually appears to be pretty full. Not sure that would continue with a larger capacity.

davemclaren
16 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I would think that any future stadium upgrade would probably be out in greenbelt land where a property developer uses us to get planning permission for land and throws in the new stadium or a significant chunk of it.

As I said though, this would be way way off in the future.

I agree re your scenario. Don’t expect it in my lifetime though. 

Tynecastle is more than suitable for the next few years but if we do end up regularly having European adventures and closing the gap with the old firm then some additional capacity is a must. I for one do not believe we need to move to achieve this. Assuming the NBDC issue is sorted which puts a kybosh on any expansion - we need to purchase the land behind the Wheatfield. The Wheatfield stand can be rebuilt (moving back 4/5 meters whilst at it to extend playing surface), we need to counter-leaver the roof of that and the other stands which should not be beyond the whits of man (even with our spacial constraints), the corners filled in and a few rows removed from Georgie and Roseburn stands to lengthen the playing surface. With corners and a new Wheatfield the size of the new main I recon we would have a stadium compliant with UEFA and c25k in capacity, with corners and a new two tiered Wheatfield then we are likely to have a stadium that mets UEFA requirements and c28k in capacity.

16 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Part of the attraction IMO of the current Tynecastle, is that it usually appears to be pretty full. Not sure that would continue with a larger capacity.

Between the development of Tynecastle in the mid-90s and the opening of the new main stand a few years ago, our capacity was less than that. During the very early stages of the Romanov period we would quite easily have averaged 18,500 if we had the capacity. 

In terms of where we are now, it's frustrating that we didn't build the new main stand with a capacity of 9-10k, as that would have been ideal for the next few years. I know there were reasons why they had to rebuild the main stand in a rush, but it annoyed me that there was virtually no consultation with the fans or Foundation members at the time. It would have made sense to take just a bit more time, even if that meant playing a whole season at Murrayfield. But we are where we are. Looking ahead, as I see it there are three main options in the medium term:

1. Redevelop the Wheatfield adding 4-5 thousand to the capacity.

2. Turn the pitch 90 degrees and rebuild the whole stadium with a 30k capacity.

3. Build a new stadium elsewhere.

Personally I think it would be a mistake to move from Tynecastle unless there was a site very close by. Out of town stadiums are generally soulless - whereas the location of Tynecastle is part of what makes it such a magical ground. 

john thomas
32 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Crowds in the glory years weren't all that great 

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I’ve no idea I’m afraid, guess £7.5m

There was already a thread on this back in 2014:

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

£100.00 and a calibre lighter ? They’re refillable 

8 minutes ago, The Spy Who Loved Me said:

I’ve no idea I’m afraid, guess £7.5m

There was already a thread on this back in 2014:

No doubt end up student flats by the time we're forced into moving. 

Percival King
18 hours ago, john thomas said:

When Fergus came in Celtic had less than 10k ST holders .

Rangers had 40k+

Smart little , bunneted barstard

Transformed the relic that was Parkhead into a fine new stadium, gave the supporters a manager and a team that stopped Rangers 10 in a row and, I think, was in charge when they signed Henrik Larsson........and many of those supporters turned on him and booed him. Fickle football fans.

john thomas
6 minutes ago, Percival King said:

Transformed the relic that was Parkhead into a fine new stadium, gave the supporters a manager and a team that stopped Rangers 10 in a row and, I think, was in charge when they signed Henrik Larsson........and many of those supporters turned on him and booed him. Fickle football fans.

Most fickle behaviour I can recall, and , as you say , football fans are fickle as fekk

Pointless thread imo.  We don’t need a bigger stadium at the moment. Think we only had a few sold out games last season. There’s over 1,000 season ticket holders missing at every home game, I doubt our waiting list is close to that number. As long as there’s a sensible ticket exchange process put in place then I think we are fine for the foreseeable.  Price increases will soon be happening as well.  Folk seem to forget we are paying pre-pandemic prices for 22/23 season. 
We will only, maybe, sell more than 20k tickets when three teams come calling so that’s five or six games per season.  Maybe two more if Aberdeen recover. No business would invest in a much bigger stadium for it to be required single digit number of times each year. 
If we continue to progress and we do need a bigger stadium there’s one across the road that can accommodate up to 65k+. Again why spend tens of millions when there’s a much cheaper and sensible solution available. 

awadooningorgie2
51 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Pointless thread imo.  We don’t need a bigger stadium at the moment. Think we only had a few sold out games last season. There’s over 1,000 season ticket holders missing at every home game, I doubt our waiting list is close to that number. As long as there’s a sensible ticket exchange process put in place then I think we are fine for the foreseeable.  Price increases will soon be happening as well.  Folk seem to forget we are paying pre-pandemic prices for 22/23 season. 
We will only, maybe, sell more than 20k tickets when three teams come calling so that’s five or six games per season.  Maybe two more if Aberdeen recover. No business would invest in a much bigger stadium for it to be required single digit number of times each year. 
If we continue to progress and we do need a bigger stadium there’s one across the road that can accommodate up to 65k+. Again why spend tens of millions when there’s a much cheaper and sensible solution available. 

Agree with this - if Murrayfield becomes in some way advantageous it is at least an interim or pick 'n' mix option.

We are of course a long way from even that and let's not fall flat on our faces this year.

Right......time to put the negative people that have no ambition in their wee caves...

You are correct. we do not currently need a 30k stadium but,,,,,,,

we do need to increase capacity in the next few years.....so to do this you need to start the plans now as it can take 2 years in planning and more for funding to do anything,

currently we can only get around 19k.....if you think we will be able to achieve anything with this then you are wrong. We could do with around 23k now as it stands....The demands for the big games is way more than 19k.   Yes we can have a poor season but thats not the point.  Edinburgh is growing along with the Hearts support. We can all see this....The current blue print of the surrounding land that could make anything possible weather it be in 2 years time or 10 needs to be reserved now or we are stuck and many cant come and support us.

Also, there are many supporters that cant currently buy season tickets together as only single seats where there to see before it was sold out....,  so they wont....In 2006 we had just under 21k apply for a season ticket.....The potential is there.....we must look to start the ball rolling and to be honest it may just be the wheatfield that can be made to a 10-12k with maybe added rows to the roseburn end,,,, 

Those tanks can be moved...at a cost from the corner allowing a cantilever etc... so the coreners too can be filled...maybe 800 a corner approx

Now i hear people say we don't have the money...well no club does but we will have good credit and some very wealthy backers at the club that can help or even lend to help with the growth. They actually already do.....we invest it in the team and the upgrading or all other departments....

We can not pass up this opportunity.  We need to do something in the current years and i think we will....

As for cost....FOH will grow too....we as a fanbase currently contribute around 1.8 million per year.....fantastic and this will grow too.

Currently 15.7k season ticket holders yet 9k FOH members.....I can see this hitting 10k in the next 18 months with good promotion.

another 4k fans will bring in an additional 1.6 millon on approx 19 home games but even more through club shop, math day spend and maybe even a new 1874 bar in the new wheatfiend when its re-built....it was built in 94 so not new anymore.. So i would say with the odd cup run and any european games possibly 2.5.3 million in extra revenue...

Anything is possible if you want it enough.... small steps are required to achieve the maximum rewards and those steps need to start now.

FTH

35 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Right......time to put the negative people that have no ambition in their wee caves...

we do need to increase capacity in the next few years.....so to do this you need to start the plans now as it can take 2 years in planning and more for funding to do anything,

currently we can only get around 19k.....if you think we will be able to achieve anything with this then you are wrong. We could do with around 23k now as it stands....The demands for the big games is way more than 19k.   Yes we can have a poor season but thats not the point.  Edinburgh is growing along with the Hearts support. We can all see this....The current blue print of the surrounding land that could make anything possible weather it be in 2 years time or 10 needs to be reserved now or we are stuck and many cant come and support us.

Also, there are many supporters that cant currently buy season tickets together as only single seats where there to see before it was sold out....,  so they wont....In 2006 we had just under 21k apply for a season ticket.....The potential is there.....we must look to start the ball rolling and to be honest it may just be the wheatfield that can be made to a 10-12k with maybe added rows to the roseburn end,,,, 

Those tanks can be moved...at a cost from the corner allowing a cantilever etc... so the coreners too can be filled...maybe 800 a corner approx

Now i hear people say we don't have the money...well no club does but we will have good credit and some very wealthy backers at the club that can help or even lend to help with the growth. They actually already do.....we invest it in the team and the upgrading or all other departments....

We can not pass up this opportunity.  We need to do something in the current years and i think we will....

As for cost....FOH will grow too....we as a fanbase currently contribute around 1.8 million per year.....fantastic and this will grow too.

Currently 15.7k season ticket holders yet 9k FOH members.....I can see this hitting 10k in the next 18 months with good promotion.

another 4k fans will bring in an additional 1.6 millon on approx 19 home games but even more through club shop, math day spend and maybe even a new 1874 bar in the new wheatfiend when its re-built....it was built in 94 so not new anymore.. So i would say with the odd cup run and any european games possibly 2.5.3 million in extra revenue...

Anything is possible if you want it enough.... small steps are required to achieve the maximum rewards and those steps need to start now.

FTH

Complete drivel.

The sort of funds we would need to raise put that completely out of the picture any time soon.

History has shown that our season ticket sales bump up when we are playing well but drop back to about 12k on average.  Your projection is that we will continue to strengthen the team and stretch clear of our competitors gaining lots more funding lacks any evidence.  In the past decade we have been relegated and demoted and nearly gone out of business.

We are going through a cost of living crisis which could last years and the likelihood is that fewer people will be able to afford spending on luxuries such as football.

6 hours ago, Martin_T said:

image.png.2af008fcd4c9f81cf4be28706520fbad.png

1 hour ago, chrisyboy7 said:

FTH

I like talking about the future of the club because its positive and a bit of a break from the transfer rumours, under Budge and the FOHs leadership we're absolutely growing as a club so the prospect of really starting to pull away from the other non-OF sides is exciting. Its a shame seeing naysayers jump on the thread and try to ridicule and show zero interest in discussing anything to do with Tynecastle in light of a total sell out of season tickets. If the club outgrows the stadium then action will need to be taken to address it. I don't think anyone is saying we need a 30k stadium tomorrow. More that the club could be looking at continuing to develop Tynecastle gradually over the next decade or so. Basically be proactive rather than reactive. I don't want to start any bickering but you could argue the development of the nursery forced us to accelerate the planning so we maybe didn't get the stand we really wanted, so with regards to the Wheatfield, Gorgie and Roseburn stands it would be good for the club to have some sort of plans in place when the opportunity arises to continue developing at Tynecastle. Especially with Edinburgh due to expand further up to 2037. 

Hopefully over the next few seasons the need for expansion will be underlined. 

When we are averaging 18,000 a year after 4th, 5th, 6th positions and lower then is the time to start thinking about expansion of ground....

1 hour ago, Nobreath said:

image.png.2af008fcd4c9f81cf4be28706520fbad.png

Thanks for this, would seem very little evidence as it stands to justify a multi million expansion of the stadium then based on the data? 

Watt-Zeefuik
29 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Thanks for this, would seem very little evidence as it stands to justify a multi million expansion of the stadium then based on the data? 

I see something very different. Our average attendance was higher during the dreary admin year than 98-99, after we’d won our first cup in generations.

Our support is growing. It rises and falls but on the whole the trend is decidedly up.

I think it’s perfectly reasonable to talk about the need for a bigger  stadium so long as no one expects it much before 2035. 

Edited by Led Tasso

7 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

FTH

Stopped reading after your frankly pathetic opening comment.

indianajones
22 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Stopped reading after your frankly pathetic opening comment.

It's a thread for the fantasist. 

Waste of time even speaking about it. 

broxburnjambo
14 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

FTH

This is why the club is fan owned and not fan run. 

Bungalow Bill
1 minute ago, broxburnjambo said:

This is why the club is fan owned and not fan run. 

If it was fan run I’d be finding something else to do on my Saturdays. The Hobo’s reading this thread will be getting a laugh, makes a change mind. 

Bazzas right boot
13 hours ago, Martin_T said:

Depends, that's lag measures. 

Current data of 15.5k season tickets sold, cutting back away support and a waiting list would suggest we do require a bigger stadium if we continue to progress. 

If we drop back to top 6 only or worse then we'll probably be OK. 

I don't think that's the plan tho. 

If one season of relative success has seen the " sold out" signs put in place then if we have consistency we will have a good number of Hearts fans not being able to watch us. 

Of we are planning to be successful longer term we will be able to fill a bigger stadium. 

If we plan to have a good season followed up by a shite one we'll likely be OK. 

25k was always the magic number for me( would have future proofed a successful Hearts side for a bit) , **** knows how we do that at Tynecastle tho in a cost effective way

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
54 minutes ago, Apache Mal said:

If it was fan run I’d be finding something else to do on my Saturdays. The Hobo’s reading this thread will be getting a laugh, makes a change mind. 

The hobbos aren't laughing at us. 

They'll be greetin as their stadium lies half empty most match days. 

If Hearts want to grow, tap into the growing Edinburgh market, increase revenue, be successful and as many on here seem to demand we do-compete with the OF, then a bigger stadium will be required. 

Ofc, if we're shite and struggling it won't be a problem. 

However, I don't think that's the clubs long vision. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

davemclaren
15 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

The hobbos aren't laughing at us. 

They'll be greetin as their stadium lies half empty most match days. 

If Hearts want to grow, tap into the growing Edinburgh market, increase revenue, be successful and as many on here seem to demand we do-compete with the OF, then a bigger stadium will be required. 

Ofc, if we're shite and struggling it won't be a problem. 

However, I don't think that's the clubs long vision. 

I imagine that the club’s current vision and plan is to be be successful based on a capacity of just under 20,000. At least I hope so. 

3 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Depends, that's lag measures. 

Current data of 15.5k season tickets sold, cutting back away support and a waiting list would suggest we do require a bigger stadium if we continue to progress. 

If we drop back to top 6 only or worse then we'll probably be OK. 

I don't think that's the plan tho. 

If one season of relative success has seen the " sold out" signs put in place then if we have consistency we will have a good number of Hearts fans not being able to watch us. 

Of we are planning to be successful longer term we will be able to fill a bigger stadium. 

If we plan to have a good season followed up by a shite one we'll likely be OK. 

25k was always the magic number for me( would have future proofed a successful Hearts side for a bit) , **** knows how we do that at Tynecastle tho in a cost effective way

Cost effective being the key. Very little point on throwing millions at what may result in only a marginal increase in income, if any.

Libertarian
23 hours ago, OTT said:

I like talking about the future of the club because its positive and a bit of a break from the transfer rumours, under Budge and the FOHs leadership we're absolutely growing as a club so the prospect of really starting to pull away from the other non-OF sides is exciting. Its a shame seeing naysayers jump on the thread and try to ridicule and show zero interest in discussing anything to do with Tynecastle in light of a total sell out of season tickets. If the club outgrows the stadium then action will need to be taken to address it. I don't think anyone is saying we need a 30k stadium tomorrow. More that the club could be looking at continuing to develop Tynecastle gradually over the next decade or so. Basically be proactive rather than reactive. I don't want to start any bickering but you could argue the development of the nursery forced us to accelerate the planning so we maybe didn't get the stand we really wanted, so with regards to the Wheatfield, Gorgie and Roseburn stands it would be good for the club to have some sort of plans in place when the opportunity arises to continue developing at Tynecastle. Especially with Edinburgh due to expand further up to 2037. 

Hopefully over the next few seasons the need for expansion will be underlined. 

This is an excellent post. It's clear that since the club has sold the maximum number of season tickets possible with the current capacity that we have to give serious consideration to somehow increasing the capacity of Tynecastle in order to allow the club to continue growing. If it proves to be impossible to increase the capacity then Plan B should be to consider moving to a new location where the club can build a stadium big enough to cater for the demand. I personally, like most Hearts fans want to remain at Tynecastle but we should not discount that for the good of the club we may have to move some day.

1 hour ago, Libertarian said:

This is an excellent post. It's clear that since the club has sold the maximum number of season tickets possible with the current capacity that we have to give serious consideration to somehow increasing the capacity of Tynecastle in order to allow the club to continue growing. If it proves to be impossible to increase the capacity then Plan B should be to consider moving to a new location where the club can build a stadium big enough to cater for the demand. I personally, like most Hearts fans want to remain at Tynecastle but we should not discount that for the good of the club we may have to move some day.

It's strange how some posters are talking down the need for any discussion about expansion. The fact is that next season demand will outstrip supply so in those circumstances it's hardly pie in the sky to start thinking about the possibility and feasibility of future expansion.

The point has been made that our attendances have fluctuated a bit over the last 20 years or so - but the general trajectory has been upwards. And I've read many posts on here over the years after another defeat along the lines of "we'll be down to 8,000 season tickets next season" - yet that's never happened. 

6 minutes ago, stirlo said:

It's strange how some posters are talking down the need for any discussion about expansion. The fact is that next season demand will outstrip supply so in those circumstances it's hardly pie in the sky to start thinking about the possibility and feasibility of future expansion.

The point has been made that our attendances have fluctuated a bit over the last 20 years or so - but the general trajectory has been upwards. And I've read many posts on here over the years after another defeat along the lines of "we'll be down to 8,000 season tickets next season" - yet that's never happened. 

Not really.  We have been here before and seen demand fall back when results aren't as good.

David McCaig
11 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Worth noting crowds are at this level just 24 months after our worst season in decades!!!

1 minute ago, David McCaig said:

Worth noting crowds are at this level just 24 months after our worst season in decades!!!

Exactly. You'll always get an element of 'fairweather' fans - but the core Hearts support is bigger than a lot of people realise. 

The best example is the FOH. For all the talk of people stopping their contributions, the Foundation is stronger than ever in terms of numbers.

The population of Edinburgh and the Lothians is growing rapidly.  I read somewhere that Midlothian is the fasting growing council area in Scotland.  We have a growing base of new fans.

The demand is there and we need to be ready.  Hopefully the Board are looking at options to do what they can at Tynecastle.

Build that wall round the ethanol tanks and a new double decker Wheatfield, will do nicely. 😀

jambo-in-furness

While it’s good to be in the position we are in and talk of expanding the capacity, we should bear in mind we also need to expand the playing surface if European competitions are uppermost in our intentions.

A conundrum that success will bring.

31 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Not really.  We have been here before and seen demand fall back when results aren't as good.

Its a bit irritating because of covid since we'd have 3 years worth of sales to point to, but under Budges tenure average attendance is growing year by year and we've had some seriously lukewarm seasons form wise. Prior to the stand being done we were at 16k in a 17k stadium, before covid we were at 18k in 19k stadium. Even in the season where everything went tits up under Levein, we still averaged 16k. I remember under Vlad when 13-14k was the norm as will everyone. I think the FOH has really fostered something pretty special, there is more of a connection between the club and fans than say, at Hibs with an out of touch owner that I don't honestly believe their fans believe in. 

With the way the league works, we've got guaranteed sell outs against Celtic, Rangers and Hibs plus not far behind with Aberdeen. If jumped up to say, 24k capacity, I'm confident we'd still sell out against Celtic, Rangers and Hibs. 6 games and I think we'd comfortably break the 20k barrier against Aberdeen, also worth factoring European football, those games will attract a healthy crowd too. Those games would push up our average attendance over the season meaning we'd have more money to spend and if we're getting better players then the less desirable games become more desirable because we start to win them playing better football. Success breeding success, but if you refuse to capitalise on that success you risk losing it. Form is temporary sadly. 

I think the big problem is you can't increase the capacity slightly and see, for it to be worth doing you kinda have to go all in. Anything less and you're paying millions for a few hundred extra seats. Obviously the flip side of that is going too big but I don't see the argument against <25k. Would give us room to grow without going overboard. 20% more tickets to sell. Thats doable IMO.

Edited by OTT

Sorry for the lack of knowledge I’ve not been back home for a few years but what parts of them stadium are still undeveloped? Is the second floor still empty in the main stand, what happened to the space the old ticket office/ shop took up under the wheatfield? I’d love us to increase the capacity of the stadium & I’m sure the board are looking as this for the future but I’d like us to maximise the potential revenue streams of the whole stadium, on a side note would fans be ok with us selling the naming rights to the stadium/ stand if it helped fund an increased capacity 

7 minutes ago, campbell said:

Sorry for the lack of knowledge I’ve not been back home for a few years but what parts of them stadium are still undeveloped? Is the second floor still empty in the main stand, what happened to the space the old ticket office/ shop took up under the wheatfield? I’d love us to increase the capacity of the stadium & I’m sure the board are looking as this for the future but I’d like us to maximise the potential revenue streams of the whole stadium, on a side note would fans be ok with us selling the naming rights to the stadium/ stand if it helped fund an increased capacity 

2nd floor still to be fitted out.

Business case signed off, rumoured to be anything from 7 to 12 bedroom 'boutique' hotel.

Shop and ticket office in Wheatfield used by Big Hearts.

On 26/06/2022 at 10:27, chrisyboy7 said:

*sighs

I wish people would stop being so fixated on the storage tanks. Yes, they are an issue (and probably the major one), but let's not forget even if they WERE moved, the distillery and the MS site next door are still functioning Tier 1 CoMAH sites with residual hazards still there. Any potential stadium expansion would require a detailed risk assessment to confirm/deny there is any significant issues. They may find something, they may not, but it still needs to be done. 

It is not, and never has been, a case of 'just move the tanks and it'll be fine'. 

That thing you do
On 08/11/2021 at 10:43, chrisyboy7 said:

Not sure why you are firing questions at me....you have clearly missed my point... You are clearly happy to have a very small stadium that we cant grow in therefor always struggle to achieve or even get near our potential.....If this is as good as it gets then fine......Now i know......Some people have ambition and dreams.....some don't and live in a cave,

With increased costs due to inflation a new stadium is easily £50m plus, especially in or near Edinburgh. Suppose the other problem is where does it go? 

Think better filling the corners and building the playing side with a few years in europe before considering building some Soul-less bowl somewhere. Modern stadia are kinda depressing, example Southampton. Only one I like is the new Spurs stadium.

Libertarian
9 hours ago, OTT said:

Its a bit irritating because of covid since we'd have 3 years worth of sales to point to, but under Budges tenure average attendance is growing year by year and we've had some seriously lukewarm seasons form wise. Prior to the stand being done we were at 16k in a 17k stadium, before covid we were at 18k in 19k stadium. Even in the season where everything went tits up under Levein, we still averaged 16k. I remember under Vlad when 13-14k was the norm as will everyone. I think the FOH has really fostered something pretty special, there is more of a connection between the club and fans than say, at Hibs with an out of touch owner that I don't honestly believe their fans believe in. 

With the way the league works, we've got guaranteed sell outs against Celtic, Rangers and Hibs plus not far behind with Aberdeen. If jumped up to say, 24k capacity, I'm confident we'd still sell out against Celtic, Rangers and Hibs. 6 games and I think we'd comfortably break the 20k barrier against Aberdeen, also worth factoring European football, those games will attract a healthy crowd too. Those games would push up our average attendance over the season meaning we'd have more money to spend and if we're getting better players then the less desirable games become more desirable because we start to win them playing better football. Success breeding success, but if you refuse to capitalise on that success you risk losing it. Form is temporary sadly. 

I think the big problem is you can't increase the capacity slightly and see, for it to be worth doing you kinda have to go all in. Anything less and you're paying millions for a few hundred extra seats. Obviously the flip side of that is going too big but I don't see the argument against <25k. Would give us room to grow without going overboard. 20% more tickets to sell. Thats doable IMO.

Absolutely agree with this.

If we can put together 3 seasons where we are playing exciting football, competing for honours, playing in Europe, that will be the time imo to look at expanding the stadium.

We are in a very strong place as we stand.  Let's hope we can build on it.  I think we can.

Never understood whats so taboo about discussing stadium expansion for some posters.

We’re not Aberdeen with a half empty ground talking about moving to a brand new modern stadium thats a trek away. We have a full stadium right now & our average home attendance has been very good since admin, despite enduring some dreadful years from 2017-2020 it didn’t really fall back.

If we can sustain relative success capacity will become a problem, no bones about it. These Euro games alone are going to instantly sell out even if we probably drop to the Conference League.

Even if we’re not expanding any time soon (which obviously we’re not) the club will need to look at what can be done to get more punters into the ground.

At the moment the only option is limiting away fans to allow more jambos in so I’d like us to look to sort out a perspex screen in the roseburn to reduce the need for such a big “buffer” between the away fans & us so we can cram a couple hundred more in. Hopefully feasible but in a couple of seasons may not be enough.

Wonder if we could sell Tynie to Cala Homes or Tesco and move to Murrayfield.  

Don't credit me with this innovative idea.  I saw it on another website.

Italian Lambretta
12 hours ago, Yoda said:

The population of Edinburgh and the Lothians is growing rapidly.  I read somewhere that Midlothian is the fasting growing council area in Scotland.  We have a growing base of new fans.

The demand is there and we need to be ready.  Hopefully the Board are looking at options to do what they can at Tynecastle.

Build that wall round the ethanol tanks and a new double decker Wheatfield, will do nicely. 😀

Most of the fast growing population of Midlothian have came out from Edinburgh. 

Fxxx the SPFL
11 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Most of the fast growing population of Midlothian have came out from Edinburgh. 

yep bigger and cheaper hooses

• davemclaren changed the title to TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )