Striker 

A striker to replace Gnanduillet 

A CB should Souttar leave 

A 2nd/3rd choice goalie

Possible/likely outs-

Gnanduillet 

Souttar (on a pre-contract minimum)

Walker 

Really glad we're needing so little movement and our main question is do we need a backup CB 

CB and up top are our issues. Weve seen even with just an injury or suspension CB is a bit of a plug the gap. Might not sort that fully in January even if Souttar stays (not happening imo) but we need cover for that position. Haring never imo looks comfy at CB and Smith and him are both only if we really have to cover for CB

3 minutes ago, sadj said:

Nope just shit analysis from people who are clueless on everything but know why we are bottom of the league , better than the FA Cup thread thats a political battle. 

Thank the lord you’ve arrived to regale us with your wisdom then

5 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I don't buy into the less work needing done in transfer windows. I think this summer coming will be another rebuild.

The summer will very much depend on who doesn't renew their contracts or if we don't sign a few of the loans perm. 
In theory we only really have Atkinson in defence as it stands

Holyrood_Hearts
1 hour ago, merseyjambo said:

Stop slavering

2nd Rangers goal was a long ball in behind a back 4 where Aribo simply outpaced Souttar and Halkett.

Should Aribo’s run have been matched by a midfielder, possibly but the defender should have seen what was going on in front of him and adjusted his position knowing Aribo would beat him in a foot race.

My reconciliation of it was a long ball from Goldson & Aribo outpaces Soapy. 

One thing I’d add is early on Aribo made the same run 3 or 4 times prior to the goal & none of our midfield was tracking his runs. 

bobby bombscare

With the new boy coming in at smiths position, and a youth development player waiting for his chance, Brandon has had to go out on loan for game time and I assume smith will no longer be first choice for the right wing-back position. 

with that in mind, I can see us using Moore as a direct replacement for Souttar with smith and Harring filling in where needed. because I doubt we will get anyone great in the jan transfer window and Savage’s philosophy seems to be wait and rely on what we have rather than bring in someone who isn’t the best we could get for our money. 

also, I know this one will get pelters.. but Shankland is potentially looking for a loan move as things haven’t worked out great at his current club. Played well under Robbie so maybe an option to get us through to January? 

Ford Prentice
23 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

So with Brandon that means we've got

Ins-

Atkinson 

Outs-

Brandon (loan)

Possible ins-

Striker 

A striker to replace Gnanduillet 

A CB should Souttar leave 

A 2nd/3rd choice goalie

Possible/likely outs-

Gnanduillet 

Souttar (on a pre-contract minimum)

Walker 

Really glad we're needing so little movement and our main question is do we need a backup CB 

Cammy Logan went on loan to Edinburgh City.

47 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Just let us know what we’re allowed to talk about when we’re 3rd and what is forbidden, cos here was me thinking this  is a forum for opinions on all things Hearts

Have a read back at the previous 79 pages on a Transfer topic and tell me it hasn’t descended into pure pish 

Pasquale for King
57 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I don’t agree we don’t have the players to play a 4 at the back. Now I’m not a huge Smith fan but he is a seasoned international, then Souttar who is clearly good enough, Halkett has improved and Kingsley, who again is clearly good enough. 

Re giving up chances of course it’s not solely down to the midfield - we will give up chances regardless of formation- but games like St Mirren at home the midfield was the issue, the amount of chances we gave up was a joke. 

We were ripped apart by Rangers with three of those four at the back, and they didn’t really get out of second gear. Halketts lack of pace being the biggest problem and Souttar being poor with balls over his head. 
But I don’t think it would be much worse in giving up chances,RN seems reluctant to play one sitter with two either side and prefers two sitters with one in front if it’s a three. 
The coaching staff must see it so it appears it’s a risk being taken to be more adventurous. 

Pasquale for King
55 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

The press is the big problem for me. Ginelly GMS and Woodburn just don’t do it effectively and at least one of them usually plays. GMS in particular is a lazy ****

That’s up to the coaching staff to sort it really. 

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, bobby bombscare said:

With the new boy coming in at smiths position, and a youth development player waiting for his chance, Brandon has had to go out on loan for game time and I assume smith will no longer be first choice for the right wing-back position. 

with that in mind, I can see us using Moore as a direct replacement for Souttar with smith and Harring filling in where needed. because I doubt we will get anyone great in the jan transfer window and Savage’s philosophy seems to be wait and rely on what we have rather than bring in someone who isn’t the best we could get for our money. 

also, I know this one will get pelters.. but Shankland is potentially looking for a loan move as things haven’t worked out great at his current club. Played well under Robbie so maybe an option to get us through to January? 

All sounds fair enough. Loans might be better in January than signings. 

1 hour ago, BelgeJambo said:

You wouldn’t know we were sitting comfortably in 3rd place right now.

Get a grip ffs 

Saved me from typing. But the amateur and I do mean amateur pundits on here need their moment,  bunch of folk talking guff.

1 minute ago, db211833 said:

Saved me from typing. But the amateur and I do mean amateur pundits on here need their moment,  bunch of folk talking guff.

You’re not going to get professional football commentators on a fan forum. What do you expect other than amateurs with a wide range of views?

jamboinglasgow

If there is truth that we are targeting the Asian market, then it makes sense to do it now as their seasons finished, if we did it in the summer clubs may be more reluctant to let players go half way through the season.

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Not sure if you watched that game at all or paid a lot of attention but we switched to a back 4 that day to stop Kent and Sakala attacking us wide. Kent had mugged Moore once already for the first goal so Moore is mark him properly. Rangers free man in midfield was Aribo who spent the first half hour in an advanced position, almost a 10 supporting Morelos in fact. 3 minutes before the goal they played an almost identical ball over the top and we didn’t learn or appreciate where Aribo was playing

When Goldson gets that ball there is no press and our 2 in midfield are marking the forward space he could pass into. Goldson plays the only ball we have left on because Souttar is neither marking Aribo out of it or standing off enough so he can’t run by him if the ball goes long over his head. That goal is Souttar’s error 80% and 20% on GMS for not pressing Goldson. It’s a shocking goal to lose because they did the exact same thing 3-4 minutes before

Leave him be. It’s clear he’s right and everyone else who watched it was wrong. Bottom line is, the back line were skinned and it shows that we are vulnerable if we play a 4 due to lack of pace.

31 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

One thing I’d add is early on Aribo made the same run 3 or 4 times prior to the goal & none of our midfield was tracking his runs. 

I can’t recall which one of the 2 centre half’s got done for pace. Both are not the quickest. Thing with tracking is, if the defender can see the run into the box, they should be the one who picks up the runner and the midfield then pick up what’s outside. The defence clearly could see Aribo making these runs, as could the coach yet we did nothing to change it up to pick up Aribo. 

Bazzas right boot
38 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

Correct. 

49 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Thank the lord you’ve arrived to regale us with your wisdom then

Ahhh that fair takes me back to the days of the Gin… 

You chat away with your superior tactical knowledge and condescending tone all ya want. 

Poster asked a question i replied. If it touched your nerves ask yourself why. 

Edited by sadj

LarrysRightFoot
20 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We were ripped apart by Rangers with three of those four at the back, and they didn’t really get out of second gear. Halketts lack of pace being the biggest problem and Souttar being poor with balls over his head. 
But I don’t think it would be much worse in giving up chances,RN seems reluctant to play one sitter with two either side and prefers two sitters with one in front if it’s a three. 
The coaching staff must see it so it appears it’s a risk being taken to be more adventurous. 

Things like the Rangers game happen, mistakes happen but I think we have the players with Taylor replacing Souttar and Atkinson replacing Smith to play a 4. I’d be happy enough with Devlin and Beni as 2 sitters in front but we need a proper Cameron number 8 box to box midfielder between them. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

So when the football comes back will people stop bickering about a goal from the 12th of December? 

No but everyone will agree it was Souttar’s fault because he’ll have left by then. 

1 minute ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Things like the Rangers game happen, mistakes happen but I think we have the players with Taylor replacing Souttar and Atkinson replacing Smith to play a 4. I’d be happy enough with Devlin and Beni as 2 sitters in front but we need a proper Cameron number 8 box to box midfielder between them. 

McEneff has that potential. I think focussing in how we want to play has to be number one though. Be that a three or a four. Push on with it. If that needs tweaked to get third so be it but the philosophy long term has potential especially at our level with only a few upgrades.

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

No but everyone will agree it was Souttar’s fault because he’ll have left by then. 

Unless he signs for them then he will have done it on purpose #jkbknowsitsoitmustbetrue

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Yeah I would agree with that, if I’m allowed to obviously 😆.

I think McEneff can do that job, maybe not to Cameron’s standard but if we wanted to play that way it would work.  We have options in midfield and should maybe utilise them a tad more. 

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

If there is truth that we are targeting the Asian market, then it makes sense to do it now as their seasons finished, if we did it in the summer clubs may be more reluctant to let players go half way through the season.

Good point. 
So there are decent players out there to sign in January after all, whodathunk it 😜

BackOfTheNet

I like how some people on here criticise others for getting excited about foreign talents (from places like Japan or South Korea) and dismissing local talents like Shankland. On one hand the reason is simple, the unknown is more exciting as the possibilities are endless. On the other hand, well, we know just how far ability wise ‘good honest Scottish laddies’ can get to in our game.

Basically what I’m saying is there’s hardly any homegrown players in the Scottish game to get excited about (let’s face it, most are average at best and shite at worst) so let those who want to get excited about an unknown quantity, I say.

3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I like how some people on here criticise others for getting excited about foreign talents (from places like Japan or South Korea) and dismissing local talents like Shankland. On one hand the reason is simple, the unknown is more exciting as the possibilities are endless. On the other hand, well, we know just how far ability wise ‘good honest Scottish laddies’ can get to in our game.

Basically what I’m saying is there’s hardly any homegrown players in the Scottish game to get excited about (let’s face it, most are average at best and shite at worst) so let those who want to get excited about an unknown quantity, I say.

True. Shankland is a funny one and as far as the top league is concerned he’s an unknown quantity. You just get the feeling, if gets to a club that fits him, he COULD really kick on. If he’s gagging for a loan back and his club will play ball at the right price, we’ve nothing to lose giving him a chance to see if that club is us .

iwasthere1954
2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

True. Shankland is a funny one and as far as the top league is concerned he’s an unknown quantity. You just get the feeling, if gets to a club that fits him, he COULD really kick on. If he’s gagging for a loan back and his club will play ball at the right price, we’ve nothing to lose giving him a chance to see if that club is us .

I read that the only team he can sign for now is Dundee United as he has played for them this season. You can only play for two teams in a season. We could sign him for next season although we want someone in now.

33 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think McEneff can do that job, maybe not to Cameron’s standard but if we wanted to play that way it would work.  We have options in midfield and should maybe utilise them a tad more. 

If you agree with anything anyone says does the world not implode? 😉

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, sadj said:

If you agree with anything anyone says does the world not implode? 😉

It’s like Hens teeth 😆

jamboinglasgow
33 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Good point. 
So there are decent players out there to sign in January after all, whodathunk it 😜

True, but you have to work the markets well. We might not find it as easy getting signings from down south with the added issue of a large number of players going down with covid. Clubs (particuarly Premier league clubs) have been reluctant to loan out players as they may have to rely on them. The Athletic had a good article where Championship chairmen were saying they were finding it a problem.

6 minutes ago, iwasthere1954 said:

I read that the only team he can sign for now is Dundee United as he has played for them this season. You can only play for two teams in a season. We could sign him for next season although we want someone in now.

Yeh right enough. I keep meaning to dig around and see if the rule change to 3 clubs from last season was kept

Pasquale for King
Just now, jamboinglasgow said:

True, but you have to work the markets well. We might not find it as easy getting signings from down south with the added issue of a large number of players going down with covid. Clubs (particuarly Premier league clubs) have been reluctant to loan out players as they may have to rely on them. The Athletic had a good article where Championship chairmen were saying they were finding it a problem.

Yeah that’s a good point too. I think the new recruitment team have shown already they know their stuff and we can actually trust them to do the job professionally. What a difference. 

jamboinglasgow
18 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

To be honest I agree with you. The unknown player is always going to be more exciting than the known quality player. A player like Shankland has done ok in the premiership but just dont buy into the excitement as others for him, almost see him as a bit of a Jason Cummings in that bangs goals away in the Championship but doesn't score as many in the Premiership. 

In regards to home grown players, I saw a lower league manager have a twitter thread a few days ago, Brown Ferguson. He was talking about how little Scottish players have been transfered to Scottish clubs and the team make ups are less. And while I see his point, for a club like ours I dont see very few Scottish players who are available to us who would make a difference. I think it also is a factor due to so many Scots going south due to being attractive for clubs down there thanks to strict work permit rules for English clubs.

iwasthere1954
6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Yeh right enough. I keep meaning to dig around and see if the rule change to 3 clubs from last season was kept

They were talking about Shankland on Sportsound today and that rule was brought up. I'd forgotten all about it.

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah that’s a good point too. I think the new recruitment team have shown already they know their stuff and we can actually trust them to do the job professionally. What a difference. 

Yup, I do like Craig Levein (despite the mess that the club ended up in) but it is clear the recruitment under him was very much the old school looking around, chatting to friendly agents, with someone maybe looking on Wyscout. But there was not really an analytical nature of signing that there is now. Just read how Devlin was signed, that it was analysing around the world for a player that fits a mode, his stats stood out, he was available for a good price and we were quick with getting him. Also think the professional nature of how we go after players and convince them to sign is different to before. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

This isn’t whatabouterry as I really rate Souttar and would prefer he didn’t leave but two of our best performances and results (both with clean sheets) this season came when Souttar was out for a couple of games and Moore stood in for him at CB.

Might be luck, coincidence or whatever but it’s true…

1 minute ago, Drew Wallace said:

Best i look in tomorrow to see if we have signed anyone

🙃

From what I’ve read it’s not about signings it’s about who we’re selling and how we lost a goal against Rangers about a month ago! Maybe need to start an actual signing for Hearts thread🤷‍♂️

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yup, I do like Craig Levein (despite the mess that the club ended up in) but it is clear the recruitment under him was very much the old school looking around, chatting to friendly agents, with someone maybe looking on Wyscout. But there was not really an analytical nature of signing that there is now. Just read how Devlin was signed, that it was analysing around the world for a player that fits a mode, his stats stood out, he was available for a good price and we were quick with getting him. Also think the professional nature of how we go after players and convince them to sign is different to before. 

Professional and modern is definitely the way forward. 

If we lose Souttar this month and can't get a replacement in, I wonder if we'd consider recalling Popescu as emergency cover. Maybe easier than gambling on getting the wrong guy in as January is a difficult window and we'd still have Moore, Halkett and Kingsley plus Smith, Haring and Cochrane who can all fill in there in an emergency. 

LarrysRightFoot
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think most of us are on the same page, we want what’s best for Hearts. 

There’s no doubting significant improvement has been made almost all round this season but it looks from the outside there’s one simple change that could improve us further. 

The standard of signings will again be key however. If we do go for Shankland I wonder how that would effect our formation. 

The White Cockade
9 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

So we should only be after centre half’s quick enough to keep pace with any fast wingers or strikers ?

think we will be disappointed then

Edited by The White Cockade

10 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

If we lose Souttar this month and can't get a replacement in, I wonder if we'd consider recalling Popescu as emergency cover. Maybe easier than gambling on getting the wrong guy in as January is a difficult window and we'd still have Moore, Halkett and Kingsley plus Smith, Haring and Cochrane who can all fill in there in an emergency. 

😂😂😂

StevenNaismith
9 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

No chance. I watched him yesterday against Partick Thistle and he was his usual self that we saw previously which isn’t good enough for Hearts. 

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Popescu as "emergency cover"... 

He ****ing causes the emergencies. 

We've sign a rb, so Smith can move to centre defence. Far better than getting players like Popescu in. 

We really don't need to panic when Souttar leaves. 

weegie jambo
23 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

This isn’t whatabouterry as I really rate Souttar and would prefer he didn’t leave but two of our best performances and results (both with clean sheets) this season came when Souttar was out for a couple of games and Moore stood in for him at CB.

Might be luck, coincidence or whatever but it’s true…

I've said the same thing on a few posts, I've seen Moore put in a much more assured performance than Soutar with my own eyes.

To summarise.

We are all desperate for the next Rudi to arrive under the radar for us to lose the movement in our right arms over 👍

We can but hope!!!

The only signing we definitely need this window is a striker,  either by pushing the boat out for better than Boycie or a back up.

Even if Souttar goes we are covered by Moore with Smith and Cochrane as cover at right and left  centre back.

Better to wait for the right player than bring in numbers this window. We are in really good shape squad wise compared to Hibs and Aberdeen who definitely need to strengthen this window to worry us.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ** Hearts - January Transfer Window 2022 ** Toby Sibbick signs 3.5 year deal
  • davemclaren locked and unlocked this topic