** Hearts - January Transfer Window 2022 ** Toby Sibbick signs 3.5 year deal

Sertse

26 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I’d agree and I think we will if Souttar goes this window.  The club will have an indication of what’s happening with Souttar and act accordingly.  

Kingsley is very good in a 3 but I’m not sure if we reverted to a traditional back 4 he comes across as a natural centre back?   You’ve got Moore(Who is naturally a CB but played wing back) and Halkett who are CBs.  I’d say we need a CB if Souttar is on his way, even if another quality loan. 

Rumour was Savage was down south looking at a loan signing yesterday. 

I’d be happy enough with 2 more signings, a centre forward and a centre back. If they are the right quality and also assuming only Souttar, Gnando and Walker leave then we’ll look strong for 2nd half of the season. 

Edited by GinRummy

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

2 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

I’d take Shankland… there’s obviously a goal scorer in there and RN knows how to get a tune out of him. He may not be ‘proven’ at this level, but I wouldn’t be disappointed if he joins us. I don’t think he’d be able to kick a ball until next season, however, given what others have said. 

In that case would we niot be better making an offer to take him in the summer.

33 minutes ago, King prawn said:

I’m not worried about the transfers coming in. Atkinson looks like another one in the mould of Beni and Devlin as in young and with something to prove. 

I just wish the Souttar stuff would get wrapped up sooner rather than later. Regardless of whether he signs for an EFL side or The Rangers, he’s not going to want to get injured so I’d prefer he just go. 

Now that Rangers have shown their cards I would imagine that they will be offering him about as much as he would get from any of the interested clubs in England.

It would be less disruptive for him with a young family and his business interest in Scotland to move to them.

I would prefer him to move South but I fear it will be West.

Heartsofgold
7 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Ah but Hibs have the Pep Guardiola of Scottish Football apparently. 

More like ****ing Popeye.  Gormless twat that he is. 

11 hours ago, millerjames398 said:

From 92/97 this was basically my "do"😂..once i got into the soap bar, my eyes were pretty much the same as his as well😂

When I had hair back in the 90s it was either side parted with a coo lick at the front or spikey. Then when I got to 17 (until about 20) it was the forward swept with the fringe pointed, I looked like a total ned! Looking back at pictures it's no wonder I used to get refused into nightclubs and bars up town 😂😂. Then got into my early 20s and had to start blade zeroing as it slowly vanished. Now my "haircuts" involve a two minute run over with a Mach3 Gillette 😂😂

Soap Bar, there's a blast from the past. 😂😂

56 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I disagree that Souttar is irreplaceable in our market. He's not all that and I've said it all along.

He's prone to lapses in concentration and his level is the English Championship. The same as Halkett has been linked with...the same as Kingsley has played in...where Moore comes from.

If we got Branthwaite or someone similar as a short term replacement then we'll be fine.

This souttar is not irreplaceable, so many players out there like Beni begging for a chance to show how good they are it’s just down to savage and co to hopefully find them. We will bring 3 more in this window and the club have been preparing for offers for key players (souttar isn’t the only one we will have bids for this window) since October due to the contract situations, replacements will have been identified 👍🏻

Ford Prentice

We've signed a right wing back which was our top priority.

We need a striker whether or not Gnando goes. Feel a bit sorry for Gnando but he doesn't fit into the system we're playing and has clearly given up.

If Walker goes we have McEneff and I'd like to see more of Finlay Pollock.

If Soutter goes I'm not sure we could easily find someone who'd start ahead of Moore or Smith in this window and don't see much point in signing someone just for emergency back up.

So, we need a striker - anything else is a bonus.

Edited by Ford Prentice

4 minutes ago, Ford Prentice said:

We need a striker whether or not Gnando goes. Feel a bit sorry for Gnando but he doesn't fit into the system we're playing and has clearly given up.

If Soutter goes I'm not sure we could easily find someone who'd start ahead of Moore or Smith in this window and don't see much point in signing someone just for emergency back up.

I don’t, his body language is honking. He is never a Hearts player.

Anyone who can go round a keeper and hit the side netting with the goal gaping doesn’t deserve another chance. Plastic pitch or not. Over to you Salford 👍🏻

Phil D. Corners
6 minutes ago, Ford Prentice said:

I would like a striker and a replacement did Gnando. (So 2 strikers.)

Would be happy if one was Shankland.   People who think scoring 8 goals for dundee Utd is nothing might want to check how many goals our strikers have got over the last years. Boyce and Lafferty aside. 

8 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

I would like a striker and a replacement did Gnando. (So 2 strikers.)

Would be happy if one was Shankland.   People who think scoring 8 goals for dundee Utd is nothing might want to check how many goals our strikers have got over the last years. Boyce and Lafferty aside. 

Shankland can't play for us this season 

gorgie rools
29 minutes ago, Ford Prentice said:

Great Post. We definitely need another striker.  Like the look of the Japanese forward that was mentioned earlier. Think he would be a star over here.

2 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

Left behind who? Halfway through the season and we are in third and look more like extending that lead than losing it imo. 

Hibs are rebuilding mid season with what are basically unknown, could go either way. No one else really signing anyone we should be concerned about. 

Heard it’s a pretty disgruntled dressing room at ER.  Players feel they haven’t been given chance to impress new manager yet they have five new guys added to squad and probably more to come. 

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

In that case would we niot be better making an offer to take him in the summer.

Why wouldn’t we just wait until summer and see if better is available? 

fabienleclerq
1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Heard it’s a pretty disgruntled dressing room at ER.  Players feel they haven’t been given chance to impress new manager yet they have five new guys added to squad and probably more to come. 

There's more than one parallel to be drawn with cathro starting at us. 

I think they are flat out trying to catch us, big money for 3rd this year. 

Just now, fabienleclerq said:

There's more than one parallel to be drawn with cathro starting at us. 

I think they are flat out trying to catch us, big money for 3rd this year. 

Indeed, we must finish above them this season. No real doubts that we will do it. 

Jambo dans les Pyrenees
39 minutes ago, Ford Prentice said:

This is where I am at too.

We’ve got 6 CH at the club right now - Souter, Halkett, Kingsley, Smith, Moore and Haring.  And next season or the season afterwards, we need to see if Cammy Logan can come good.,

I’d like to see either 2 strikers come in, or 1 plus Henderson return from loan.

Gone are the throw it at the wall and see what sticks days of Vlad and Levein.

5 minutes ago, Queensland Jambo said:

We’ve got 6 CH at the club right now - Souter, Halkett, Kingsley, Smith, Moore and Haring.  And next season or the season afterwards, we need to see if Cammy Logan can come good.,

I’d like to see either 2 strikers come in, or 1 plus Henderson return from loan.

That’s not 6 centre half’s. By the same logic you could say we have three or four strikers for one position when we clearly don’t. 

Agree, signing policy is night and day compared to previous management. Long may it continue. Would much rather be in our position than Hibs. They are literally doing what we used to do. 

19 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Na cant be true the finger whisperer said every player is loving Maloney and hes amazing and Hibs are better than his own employer at everything

14 minutes ago, Queensland Jambo said:

If Souttar goes we’ve only got 2 centre backs that I would play in a 4

24 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Why wouldn’t we just wait until summer and see if better is available? 

I am sure we may well do that but my comment was in reposnse to a suggestion about signing him now and not being able to play him until next season.

1 hour ago, Ford Prentice said:

I don’t agree that a RWB was a priority this window. Happy enough we’ve got one of course but a striker is and was the priority and I’d prefer 2.

Chucking away 3rd place from this position would be a disaster given the potential revenue it brings so we need to put more goals into the team.

Replacing Souttar ? I’d be putting a cut off date on him leaving in January so we’ve enough time left. If he’s still here after the 20th we should be telling him he is staying. It’s really that important. More important than the fee we’d get for him. There is no point kidding on we’re well covered for centre half when we plainly aren’t. Yes we’ve got players who could wear the jersey but losing Souttar weakens us at the back and it can’t be allowed to happen.

So for me, at a minimum. 1 good striker who is match ready and a CH if Souttar leaves. And preferably before our next game.

Edited by JimmyCant

Ainsley Harriott
23 minutes ago, Queensland Jambo said:

How many occasions has Haring actually played CH the whole time he's been here?

Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

How many occasions has Haring actually played CH the whole time he's been here?

And Smith. Played twice at centre half in his entire time here. He isn’t a centre half by any stretch. Let’s not mess about here. If Souttar leaves we need a proper centre half to replace him in place before the window closes and fit and ready to play

22 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yup, before this window I calculated the first team squad as 22 players (which included Cammy Logan and Finlay Pollok (as Logan was back up and Pollok was used frequently in the league cup.) Since then Logan has gone out on loan and Atkinson has signed (arrival in Edinburgh imminent. So we are still at the 22. 

Losing those 3 would put us down to 19, which to put it into perspective means we have 1 spare senior player if we fill a full 18 man squad. Though with SPFL possibly increasing subs to 5 a game and 9 players on the bench for the rest of the season, then every match would require an Under 18 (not counting Pollok.) For a squad which was very small prior to the window and is underestimated how well we have kept players fit, we do need a few signings especially if we lose those 3.

Yep....but lopsided with so many players classified these days as midfielders

Dennis Reynolds
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

And Smith. Played twice at centre half in his entire time here. He isn’t a centre half by any stretch. Let’s not mess about here. If Souttar leaves we need a proper centre half to replace him in place before the window closes and fit and ready to play

This. 

Anyone can play CH but moving players around just causes unnecessary problems. We might have six players who could play there (five when Souttar leaves) but these players are needed in other positions just as much. 

Dennis Reynolds
22 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yup, before this window I calculated the first team squad as 22 players (which included Cammy Logan and Finlay Pollok (as Logan was back up and Pollok was used frequently in the league cup.) Since then Logan has gone out on loan and Atkinson has signed (arrival in Edinburgh imminent. So we are still at the 22. 

Losing those 3 would put us down to 19, which to put it into perspective means we have 1 spare senior player if we fill a full 18 man squad. Though with SPFL possibly increasing subs to 5 a game and 9 players on the bench for the rest of the season, then every match would require an Under 18 (not counting Pollok.) For a squad which was very small prior to the window and is underestimated how well we have kept players fit, we do need a few signings especially if we lose those 3.

This is a very good point. 

Whilst also looking a bit further ahead, we have a lot of players out of contract as well. If Savage had hair....

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, LMc said:

This. 

Anyone can play CH but moving players around just causes unnecessary problems. We might have six players who could play there (five when Souttar leaves) but these players are needed in other positions just as much. 

But we've signed a rb. 

Moore and Halkett are centre halves. 

Smith is more than comfortable there. 

Kingsley is left in a 3.

Defensively with Souttar leaving and us signing Aki, numbers wise we are the same defensively as we are now

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

But we've signed a rb. 

Kingsley is left in a 3.

Defensively with Souttar leaving and us signing Aki, numbers wise we are the same defensively as we are now

Aye because it’s just about having numbers right enough. Losing a quality centre back ? Aye just toss a completely different type in there. you’ll barely notice any difference. And don’t worry about who plays when you have injuries and suspensions. We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it

Can anyone actually list the Hearts games that Michael Smith played centre half in ?

26 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I don’t agree that a RWB was a priority this window. Happy enough we’ve got one of course but a striker is and was the priority and I’d prefer 2.

Chucking away 3rd place from this position would be a disaster given the potential revenue it brings so we need to put more goals into the team.

Replacing Souttar ? I’d be putting a cut off date on him leaving in January so we’ve enough time left. If he’s still here after the 20th we should be telling him he is staying. It’s really that important. More important than the fee we’d get for him. There is no point kidding on we’re well covered for centre half when we plainly aren’t. Yes we’ve got players who could wear the jersey but losing Souttar weakens us at the back and it can’t be allowed to happen.

So for me, at a minimum. 1 good striker who is match ready and a CH if Souttar leaves. And preferably before our next game.

Can we do that when he is free to sign a pre contract?

4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Aye because it’s just about having numbers right enough. Losing a quality centre back ? Aye just toss a completely different type in there. you’ll barely notice any difference. And don’t worry about who plays when you have injuries and suspensions. We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it

Can anyone actually list the Hearts games that Michael Smith played centre half in ?

The 4-0 against Celtic in 2017 he played CB. The following season he played 6 games at CB according to Transfermarkt and Hearts kept a clean sheet in 5 of them.

BackOfTheNet

Signing a player half way through a season who can’t play until the first game of the next season is simply bad business. Why would anyone want this?

6 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Can we do that when he is free to sign a pre contract?

We can keep him till June if we want to whether he has signed a pre contract or not

4 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Signing a player half way through a season who can’t play until the first game of the next season is simply bad business. Why would anyone want this?

We wouldn’t be signing him (Shankland) it would be a pre contract surely. I wouldn’t be paying money for him, even in the summer I wouldn’t. Dunno how long his contract is but he’s too big a gamble to be paying up front for

9 minutes ago, Goodfella said:

The 4-0 against Celtic in 2017 he played CB. The following season he played 6 games at CB according to Transfermarkt and Hearts kept a clean sheet in 5 of them.

Thanks. Hard to believe it’s that many. Celtic game I knew about. 

Just now, JimmyCant said:

We wouldn’t be signing him (Shankland) it would be a pre contract surely. I wouldn’t be paying money for him, even in the summer I wouldn’t. Dunno how long his contract is but he’s too big a gamble to be paying up front for

He's still got at least 2 years on his current contract, he can't sign a pre-contract with anyone. 

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, Goodfella said:

Smith is almost as good as Souttar as a ball playing CB, and imo in January we wil struggle to get someone better. 

If Smith ends up CB until the summer we aren't far of a like for like replacement and then we can source someone better and for the longer term then. 

If we are stronger at RWB and more options up front which looks likely we'll be stronger overall after this window than before, even with losing Souttar. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

We can keep him till June if we want to whether he has signed a pre contract or not

So if he signs a pre contract with Rangers would you want to keep him until June without getting a penny for him?

Dennis Reynolds
32 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

But we've signed a rb. 

Kingsley is left in a 3.

You've made my point. We're going into the last half of the season with two CB's and a LB playing CB. Just saying "we have numbers" isn't fixing the problem 😑

Smith has already missed a bit of this season yet he's seen as Mr Dependable for the next six months? Folk don't even want him at the club anymore. 

I agree Kingsley is fine there but what happens if Cochrane is out? Play Halliday at LB? 

God forbid Halkett gets an injury and he needs to miss time and we would be left with one CB in a three CB defence. 

It's likely to be Cochrane Kingsley Halkett Moore Atkinson playing in defence with Micheal Smith, Andy Halliday and Peter Haring (at a push) as backup. 

We needed cover before Souttar was thinking of leaving and we still do. Kingsley Smith and Haring at CB in a worst case scenario would leave us woefully short on height and pace at the back. 

Edit. Smith hasn't missed as much time as I thought. Seemed like he was out for weeks in my head.

Edited by LMc

5 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

So if he signs a pre contract with Rangers would you want to keep him until June without getting a penny for him?

My preference would be to see him go this week for a fee. If it’s Rangers and it’s just a pre contract (no fee) we’ll have to keep him anyway. Then we need to decide if he plays or not. We’re not in control now. We don’t get to decide who he signs for and we can’t force them to pay a fee to take him now

55 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Right wing back was far more of a priority than a back up striker. 

11 minutes ago, LMc said:

You've made my point. We're going into the last half of the season with two CB's and a LB playing CB. Just saying "we have numbers" isn't fixing the problem 😑

Smith has already missed a bit of this season yet he's seen as Mr Dependable for the next six months? Folk don't even want him at the club anymore. 

I agree Kingsley is fine there but what happens if Cochrane is out? Play Halliday at LB? 

God forbid Halkett gets an injury and he needs to miss time and we would be left with one CB in a three CB defence. 

It's likely to be Cochrane Kingsley Halkett Moore Atkinson playing in defence with Micheal Smith, Andy Halliday and Peter Haring (at a push) as backup. 

We needed cover before Souttar was thinking of leaving and we still do. Kingsley Smith and Haring at CB in a worst case scenario would leave us woefully short on height and pace at the back. 

Edit. Smith hasn't missed as much time as I thought. Seemed like he was out for weeks in my head.

How many games does Kingsley have to play at left centre back before he can be counted as a centre back?

3 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Certainly was. It was blatantly obvious to most in the summer that we needed a more attacking wingback.

9 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Opinions huh ?

On December 31st we had 2 RWB’s on the books and another who could fill in.

On 31st December we had an injury prone 1st choice striker who isnt prolific . A 2nd choice who doesn’t want to be here and who isn’t good enough anyway plus a guy on loan who blows hot and cold and handful of wide forwards who aren’t scoring either

Edited by JimmyCant

11 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

My preference would be to see him go this week for a fee. If it’s Rangers and it’s just a pre contract (no fee) we’ll have to keep him anyway. Then we need to decide if he plays or not. We’re not in control now. We don’t get to decide who he signs for and we can’t force them to pay a fee to take him now

I agree with your first sentence. If it is Rangers then I suppose it is a difficult one as to whether we play him or not.

We would have to give him the chance to show that he should still be part of the Scotland set up and give a thank you back to the Hearts Fans who have supported him through all his good and bad times with us.

If he looks like he is not giving 100% then it is off to train with the youth team.

Dennis Reynolds
15 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

How many games does Kingsley have to play at left centre back before he can be counted as a centre back?

Count him as a CB if you want, it doesn't change the point.

1 minute ago, LMc said:

Count him as a CB if you want, it doesn't change the point.

We have 4 cb's with 2 more that can fill in. We don't need another one unless Souttar leaves. 

BackOfTheNet
40 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Guy just signed for them in the summer for £1 million so I’m guessing his contract was longer than one season. So unless he has a release clause if they get relegated or they decide to let him go for nothing he’s not going without a fee. I’m like you, if the opportunity to sign him within our budget presented itself, then sure why not. But if we need to pay for him, then absolutely not.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ** Hearts - January Transfer Window 2022 ** Toby Sibbick signs 3.5 year deal
  • davemclaren locked and unlocked this topic