** Hearts - January Transfer Window 2022 ** Toby Sibbick signs 3.5 year deal

Sertse

38 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Celtic paid £500k for a Championship player that was out of contract. English clubs were quoted more, another anomaly like the pre contract system.

I think the figures we got for Paterson or Walker are what cross border payments are, Cochrane would cost us £400k if they offer him a new contract. 

He doesn't need to accept a new contract from them, he's a free agent in the summer.

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, briever said:

He doesn't need to accept a new contract from them, he's a free agent in the summer.

That has no bearing on it, as long as they offer him one we will be due them compensation of some sort. 

3 minutes ago, briever said:

The other team only have to offer the same or better contract than before to obtain a fee. Whether he accepts it or not makes no difference. 

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

We could easily match St Johnstone's wages for Zander Clark, but that wouldn't get him to sign for us. He's leaving them in the summer (if not this month) and will be signing elsewhere (Aberdeen seem front runners) for a lot more than he's on just now. We probably can't justify paying the wages he'll be after for him to then sit on our bench all the time, and he's not going to want to sit on the bench all the time anyway, so he'll have little interest in coming to us. If Gordon was a couple of years older, he'd probably be a target to take over from Gordon as first choice, but happily, Gordon isn't a couple of years older! 

He’s also nowwhere near good enough to be our GK so yes thank goodness Gordon isn’t a couple of years older. 

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Only things I can see stopping it is Brighton believing he has a future with them. Or even if they offer a token basic contract we’d owe them compensation due to his age.

They'd have to offer him a contract on the same terms he's currently on, I think. Depending on how much he's on, it might not be worth the risk of him saying thanks, I'll take that offer, if they don't really want to keep him!

HeartsandonlyHearts
1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Yep, it sounds totally legit that we've signed a 1st class striker but have decided we don't want to announce them or, say, have them training with the squad, playing in matches, etc, because we've decided goals and stuff like that are less useful to us than cheering the fans up a wee bit at the news that John Souttar is going to sevco a few months early.  

That definitely seems 100% believable to me.

😂

What actually constitutes a first class striker these days? Let’s assume Man City, PSG and Bayern fans see it differently than us.

LarrysRightFoot
52 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Celtic paid £500k for a Championship player that was out of contract. English clubs were quoted more, another anomaly like the pre contract system.

I think the figures we got for Paterson or Walker are what cross border payments are, Cochrane would cost us £400k if they offer him a new contract. 

If we want him and Brighton don’t I’m sure something will get worked out. 

I heard on the radio the other day in England a player can’t sign a pre-contract with a club in the same league - why on earth don’t we have that rule?! (I know I’m digressing but it came to mind). 

2 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

😂

What actually constitutes a first class striker these days? Let’s assume Man City, PSG and Bayern fans see it differently than us.

Wayne Foster?

2 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I heard on the radio the other day in England a player can’t sign a pre-contract with a club in the same league - why on earth don’t we have that rule?! (I know I’m digressing but it came to mind). 

Rangers and celtic

Guest ToqueJambo

Brighton have a 23 year old Spanish international one year into a 5 year contract ahead of Cochrane at LB/LM. If Cochrance wants to keep playing first team football we must have a chance of getting him. Hope so, he's been really good.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Pasquale for King
29 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

You missed the boring chat around it, basically they have a rule that you can’t sign a pre contract until April, the reason we don’t have it is that a player is legally allowed to sign a pre contract with anyone in any league six months before the end of his current contract. If an English team wanted to snap someone up before a rival they could, nothing could be done about it. 
Yeah if they don’t want him we might get him for nothing, Davie Weir being there should help. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

11 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Brighton have a 23 year old Spanish international one year into a 5 year contract ahead of Cochrane at LB/LM. If Cochrance wants to keep playing first team football we must have a chance of getting him. Hope so, he's been really good.

Yeah Cucurella. Pretty sure they paid like €20M for him too. And I like Cochrane but he's nowhere near EPL standard. 

I get a feeling Cochrane isn’t in Brightons future plans or they would have probably loaned him to Union St Gilles in Belgium along with some of their other fringe players imo 

HeartsandonlyHearts

How about we offer Andy Carroll 2000 a week until June. That’s double what Reading were paying him. Just to help us get over the European qualifying line.

3 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

How about we offer Andy Carroll 2000 a week until June. That’s double what Reading were paying him. Just to help us get over the European qualifying line.

No

LarrysRightFoot
24 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You missed the boring chat around it, basically they have a rule that you can’t sign a pre contract until April, the reason we don’t have it is that a player is legally allowed to sign a pre contract with anyone in any league six months before the end of his current contract. If an English team wanted to snap someone up before a rival they could, nothing could be done about it. 
Yeah if they don’t want him we might get him for nothing, Davie Weir being there should help. 

So basically, as usual, there’s no trust between clubs in Scotland and it’s every man for themselves. Bloody hell Scottish football does my head in. 

1 minute ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

So basically, as usual, there’s no trust between clubs in Scotland and it’s every man for themselves. Bloody hell Scottish football does my head in. 

Technically England do it different from most countries, in they have a gentleman’s agreement. (Like how the home nations have a gentleman’s agreement not to allow players to be called up to a country based on 5 years residency, despite FIFA and UEFA allowing it) But I think England have it correct. It means their players tend to wait until the season ends before they make their decisions / announcements.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Pretty much, the system just now suits the uglies so no need to change it in the authorities point of view. 

LarrysRightFoot
Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

Technically England do it different from most countries, in they have a gentleman’s agreement. (Like how the home nations have a gentleman’s agreement not to allow players to be called up to a country based on 5 years residency, despite FIFA and UEFA allowing it) But I think England have it correct. It means their players tend to wait until the season ends before they make their decisions / announcements.

That’s what I mean - their clubs are willing to work together and agree on something for the common good. Imagine that here. 

Howdy Doody Jambo
15 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

He's got a pony tail thing going on with his hair like McKay & Haring we can't have 3 of them in our team besides he has a girl's name 

15 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

That’s what I mean - their clubs are willing to work together and agree on something for the common good. Imagine that here. 

We have a system that in short basically says we can’t make any changes to our league unless two teams are for it. And any change that would significantly improve our league would mean less money and less advantage to those teams so our league will never improve. We are under mobster rule.

39 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Would take him til the end of the season on that sort of money. 100%. He is (or was - I haven't watched him recently) EXACTLY what we need in a big strong penalty box striker to wrestle with defenders, to win high balls and to get on the end of crosses from our wingers. 

Doesn't exactly fit the profile we've been looking for though, considering he's 33, but he would be an excellent short term solution. 

Edited by Batistuta87

2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Would take him til the end of the season on that sort of money. 100%. He is (or was - I haven't watched him recently) EXACTLY what we need in a big strong penalty box striker to wrestle with defenders, to win high balls and to get on the end of crosses from our wingers. 

Doesn't exactly fit the profile we've been looking for though, considering he's 33, but he would be an excellent short term solution. 

I suppose if Souttar goes the medical staff can have a ready made replacement to justify their wages

We don't need a big physical striker in the mould of Carroll. We need a sharp goalscorer who will be there to finish the chances created by the rest of the team. 

11 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I suppose if Souttar goes the medical staff can have a ready made replacement to justify their wages

Only been injured once in the last two seasons 🤷🏻 

9 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

We don't need a big physical striker in the mould of Carroll. We need a sharp goalscorer who will be there to finish the chances created by the rest of the team. 

Would have both in an ideal world. Who we'd actually play would depend on the game. Boyce is a finisher so would be good to have a big target man to get high balls ball down to him or to hold it up before feeding him in. Would also be good to have someone with a quick set of heels to run onto the through ball like Gino against St J, Washington against Hibs, etc. 

Edited by Batistuta87

4 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I was joking, to be fair. But I agree with the above, we need a quick run the channels striker who can also play on the left or right. No point having Caroll as we don’t play to his limited strengths. Plus, the guy’s scored 3 goals in as many years, so I don’t think he’d be worth any punt.

lost in space
41 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

We have a system that in short basically says we can’t make any changes to our league unless two teams are for it. And any change that would significantly improve our league would mean less money and less advantage to those teams so our league will never improve. We are under mobster rule.

Well, not really.

We work under the rules that the clubs voted for. We had the chance to change this rule when Sevco died but didn't. 

Some of the bigger clubs thought that the smaller clubs would vote to get a bigger share of the cash, so self interest by some clubs (Aberdeen I think we're one) kept the rule. Now OF will vote against change - but cowardice by some clubs are as much to blame.

1 minute ago, lost in space said:

Well, not really.

We work under the rules that the clubs voted for. We had the chance to change this rule when Sevco died but didn't. 

Some of the bigger clubs thought that the smaller clubs would vote to get a bigger share of the cash, so self interest by some clubs (Aberdeen I think we're one) kept the rule. Now OF will vote against change - but cowardice by some clubs are as much to blame.

Agreed, we were shoehorned in to this position (by we I mean the Scottish football fans bring shoehorned by the clubs and the organisation) and the short term vision of small time cash has forever kept us in this disparity. We had an opportunity to amend the league for one, and we all know how that vote went. We’ll always have 3/4 games against the same team because small teams want old firm cash. Such a narrow minded self interest view from those who own these clubs. Very much to blame also.

SomethingAboutObua
6 minutes ago, lost in space said:

(Aberdeen I think we're one)

Aberdeen were the one, they/Stuart Milne voted with Celtic to keep the 11-1 voting system while the other clubs voted to change it. Aberdeen thought they were about to stroll it to being the new horse in the two horse race 

Fine, I’ll go first…

“There’s a good chance a signing will be happening in the coming days, an exciting one. Unlikely to be tomorrow but could be Tuesday. By the latest Thursday or Friday. Another few things lined up but they depend on outgoings. Will also be looking to get someone in by deadline day. Have faith.”

Big physical strikers what’s the point in this league refs have a field day uche couldn’t do nothing without giving a foul away

2 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Would be well worth a punt to the end of the season and would offer something different - subject of course to the wage quoted.  This is a January window and we'll be hard pushed to get exactly what we're looking for.

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Where’s the late night ITK tidbits?

:waiting:

I read that as "ITK idiots". 🤣

Wearing an N95 and medical goggles doesn't make skim reading easy. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
12 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

I read that as "ITK idiots". 🤣

Wearing an N95 and medical goggles doesn't make skim reading easy. 

In all fairness it’s an easy mistake to make on here

Not that I’m bothered anymore as I can see feck all happening this window with a week to go. 

Really hoped we’d get a striker. But hey ho. Let’s see what a week brings. 

8 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Is that his 'ankle injury' this weekend?

8 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Three times now. One of those was for most of the 2020-21 season. (30 games missed mid August-end of March).

Missed a couple games in September/October. 

And the current injury to his cup tie. 

8 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

I have seen enough big dumpling strikers at Hearts.As you say it is more mobility we need with decent finishing.

10 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Today's the day guys, Striker signing is imminent ( Not in the know whatsoever) just feel it.

Careful now

20 hours ago, Henroddy said:

Let's face it. If Gordon gets injured we're screwed 🙄

I watched the highlights of St Johnstone v Kelty Hearts, the wee Hearts' keeper looked great, Jamieson I think his name was. We could do worse as back up.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ** Hearts - January Transfer Window 2022 ** Toby Sibbick signs 3.5 year deal