• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Out of contract at the end of January...

If we want him in January we would need to cut a deal with his club (or he agrees to terminate early.) He could still join us in February as a free agent. 

Italian Lambretta
2 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Japanese international? No chance. If he’s any good and a free agent Ange will be all over him.

Maybe he's been told by his agent he going to sellick but he'll get picked up at the airport by savage😂

jamboinglasgow
4 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Japanese international? No chance. If he’s any good and a free agent Ange will be all over him.

Think Celtic according to reports are already signing 3 Japanese players in January so they cant sign every Japanese player.

adambraejambo
2 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

Did Leveins Battalion not mention him on the 16th of this month by name. If I wrong then I  apologise but I thought all you said was that Halkett to sheep and a Japanese forward  in. I defo seen the Austrialian guys name a couple of times before today. Again if you said it before the 16th then sorry . If we do sign a Japan player though I will make you my number 1 Itk guy!

2 minutes ago, adambraejambo said:

Did Leveins Battalion not mention him on the 16th of this month by name. If I wrong then I  apologise but I thought all you said was that Halkett to sheep and a Japanese forward  in. I defo seen the Austrialian guys name a couple of times before today. Again if you said it before the 16th then sorry . If we do sign a Japan player though I will make you my number 1 Itk guy!

The msg was for two others.

39 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

whatever became of the Man City lad?

Not wanting him back but has he made it anywhere?

Meshino? Think he's in Germany. 

Slow to the take on this one. Just seen another Australian (Nathaniel Atkinson) on route to Hearts. 👌👏

As @filawill tell you, he’s a great defender. He’ll work well with the team we have at the moment. Plus big useless spit the dummy is off. I think you’d be a bit daft if you couldn’t work that out. See ye. 👏👋

Edited by Aussie Jambo
Oops wrong emoji 🤪

2 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Maybe he's been told by his agent he going to sellick but he'll get picked up at the airport by savage😂

Super Joe 👌 

We do need to push the boat out in attacking areas. We need a striker that scores 20-30 a season and a supporting forward/attacking mid that scores 10-15. Then we'll start blowing teams away and we'll get near the OF.

17 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

We do need to push the boat out in attacking areas. We need a striker that scores 20-30 a season and a supporting forward/attacking mid that scores 10-15. Then we'll start blowing teams away and we'll get near the OF.

We've not managed to find one of the first of those since Robbo. We are shit at signing goalscorers I guess.

Bazzas right boot
27 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

**** me, that's some wish list. 

Problem with that is any player that delivers that is away after 1 season and we'd need to find another 1.

The Old Tolbooth
37 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say if they've got that kind of record, then they won't be coming anywhere near the SPL 

38 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

1 minute ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say if they've got that kind of record, then they won't be coming anywhere near the SPL 

Thing is that sometimes a player can just fit in at a team. Billy McKay is a good example. Emptied by Northampton yet scoring 15-20 goals a season in the Highlands when he went there (IIRC). 

Rudi is another one. Look at his scoring records elsewhere they weren’t a patch on his performances for us.

Bit of luck, JS will find someone who can fit into the Scottish game and hit the ground running.

The Old Tolbooth
5 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Thing is that sometimes a player can just fit in at a team. Billy McKay is a good example. Emptied by Northampton yet scoring 15-20 goals a season in the Highlands when he went there (IIRC). 

Rudi is another one. Look at his scoring records elsewhere they weren’t a patch on his performances for us.

Bit of luck, JS will find someone who can fit into the Scottish game and hit the ground running.

I totally agree with that mate, but if someone already has that record before coming here, then he's not coming here, it's more a stroke of luck that something like that happens, with Rudi being the obvious example, oh for another one of his kind. 

17 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Yup, I mean if the Sheep managed to get that big huddy Cosgrove looking like a striker then anythings possible I suppose

Only 3 players have scored more than 20 goals a season in the last 5 Premiership seasons: Liam Boyce, Scott Sinclair and Odsonne Édouard. 2 of those players cost Celtic combined fees of £12m and the other one plays for us. 

There have been plenty of other strikers in that time who've cost the OF millions and not delivered that level of scoring. Celtic just splashed out on the Dutch league's top scorer and he's done next to **** all so far aside from missing a last-minute penalty.

We definitely need to try and add goalscorers, but my point is that 20-30 goals a season strikers are rare and even if you splash out there's no guarantee of a return.

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

And I'd like a dug that shits gold. 

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Only 3 players have scored more than 20 goals a season in the last 5 Premiership seasons: Liam Boyce, Scott Sinclair and Odsonne Édouard. 2 of those players cost Celtic combined fees of £12m and the other one plays for us. 

There have been plenty of other strikers in that time who've cost the OF millions and not delivered that level of scoring. Celtic just splashed out on the Dutch league's top scorer and he's done next to **** all so far aside from missing a last-minute penalty.

We definitely need to try and add goalscorers, but my point is that 20-30 goals a season strikers are rare and even if you splash out there's no guarantee of a return.

Good post.
There has to be a reason nobody else took that guy from the Dutch league, like some of the guys we’ve had they’re successful in a certain club with lower expectations perhaps. Some are one season wonders, Connor Sammon made millions from one good year at Killie..

All about steady improvements each window. If we eventually get cash for player. Has to go back into playing squad and help building. Scouting is going to be so important, glad we are looking far and wide.    

I always find it a little oversimplified to say we need to just go out and buy a striker who scored goals and they’ll just do that with us.

There’s so much that goes into a team performance. Most strikers that score a lot have done so from a bucket load of chances, not everyone can be like Ronaldo when Man Utd are playing crap and he crops up with a goal with one of his only chances. As pointed out the top scorer in Erevidisie last season is doing nothing in the league this season. Woodburn has scored more than him. (Albeit the guy has had some injuries too)

How many times have we seen Boyce isolated? If Boyce plays for one of the Glasgow teams he scores over 20 a season easy as he’ll have minimum 5 chances per game for the majority of the games. He can stand up front and do nothing until the ball falls to him in the box. What we need is players from most positions chipping in. As we will not have the majority of possession and chances every game. So preferably if we get someone in they are a great finisher but also a worker who can switch from central to wings if need be so we can confuse defences and become less predictable. But they cost usually, so will be hard to come by.

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I always find it a little oversimplified to say we need to just go out and buy a striker who scored goals and they’ll just do that with us.

There’s so much that goes into a team performance. Most strikers that score a lot have done so from a bucket load of chances, not everyone can be like Ronaldo when Man Utd are playing crap and he crops up with a goal with one of his only chances. As pointed out the top scorer in Erevidisie last season is doing nothing in the league this season. Woodburn has scored more than him. (Albeit the guy has had some injuries too)

How many times have we seen Boyce isolated? If Boyce plays for one of the Glasgow teams he scores over 20 a season easy as he’ll have minimum 5 chances per game for the majority of the games. He can stand up front and do nothing until the ball falls to him in the box. What we need is players from most positions chipping in. As we will not have the majority of possession and chances every game. So preferably if we get someone in they are a great finisher but also a worker who can switch from central to wings if need be so we can confuse defences and become less predictable. But they cost usually, so will be hard to come by.

Morelos misses more than Boyce. 

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

😆 incredible eh!!! Only chance of that is an unonown or a kid breaking through

8 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Morelos misses more than Boyce. 

Exactly. But he has scored 63 in 136 games, around almost 1 every 2 games. Because he has opportunity after opportunity, which proves my point.

jamboinglasgow
19 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

completely agree with you. Simply saying we need a goal scorer who has scored 20+ goals does not mean they will or that it will bring that many goals to us. A striker could score 20 goals but if their style of play means the rest of the team aren't able to score then it means problems. 

Having look over the last 5 seasons, only 1 player has reached 20 goals in the league outside of the old firm and that is Liam Boyce.

3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

completely agree with you. Simply saying we need a goal scorer who has scored 20+ goals does not mean they will or that it will bring that many goals to us. A striker could score 20 goals but if their style of play means the rest of the team aren't able to score then it means problems. 

Having look over the last 5 seasons, only 1 player has reached 20 goals in the league outside of the old firm and that is Liam Boyce.

And on the flipside you have guys like Cosgrove at Aberdeen who did heehaw before and has done eff all since, but did the biz for Aberdeen.  There's no science.  Or there is but it isn't exact is the point!!

Boyle at Hibs even - was very run of the mill until quite recently.  You're needing to scout well but also need to hope someone just clicks and the whole thing comes together.

John Sutton is always my warning that there's no signing of a guaranteed goalscorer based on their SPFL stats.

If we had a more attack minded wingback or two, our whole team - including Boycie - would score more imo.  That ain't Boycie's fault.

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Exactly. But he has scored 63 in 136 games, around almost 1 every 2 games. Because he has opportunity after opportunity, which proves my point.

Yip. 

Why that needs explained is, beyond me. 

It's like some folk have landed from the moon or been lost in space. 

11 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

We need other teams to be worried about more than one player up top. It’s too easy to mark Boyce out of a game. He’s a decent finisher but he won’t stretch defences, he won’t hold up to a required standard consistently and he’s pretty predictable to defend against. What doesn’t help is we have someone like Mackay who plays well but is really one of 3 attackers when in possession and hasn’t scored yet. Woodburn only has a couple, GMS only has a couple and Ginnelly has one. So all the opposition has to do is keep Boyce isolated and prevent the ball getting to him and they’re playing the odds knowing we’re unlikely to score otherwise. So personally I feel we need someone who can be as comfortable as a wide attacker as they are centrally, allowing for interchange between the three attackers, meaning the opposition need to worry about all three rather than the one and that provides more scope for error on their part.

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Problem with that is any player that delivers that is away after 1 season and we'd need to find another 1.

Wouldn't mind if that was the case pocket 3 or 4 million then find another

jamboinglasgow
8 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

And on the flipside you have guys like Cosgrove at Aberdeen who did heehaw before and has done eff all since, but did the biz for Aberdeen.  There's no science.  Or there is but it isn't exact is the point!!

Boyle at Hibs even - was very run of the mill until quite recently.  You're needing to scout well but also need to hope someone just clicks and the whole thing comes together.

John Sutton is always my warning that there's no signing of a guaranteed goalscorer based on their SPFL stats.

If we had a more attack minded wingback or two, our whole team - including Boycie - would score more imo.  That ain't Boycie's fault.

Yup, John Sutton was a perfect example of that. 

As Backofthenet says, part of the problem is that the wingers are not scoring as much so it makes striker look more important (though we still have scored more than any other team outside of the old firm.) But I do agree that an attack minded wingback will help and Natty Ackky sounds like he is just that. Add in Gnanduillet has been disappointing and not delivering then it makes it more glaring. 

With how quickly we have sought to rectify right wing back for this window, I hope we have something similar for a striker. The Japanese striker mentioned earlier looks very interesting and a good fit but I wont hold my breath on that being true as I fear its someone throwing out the name of an out of contract Japanese striker after someone else said we are looking to sign a Japanese striker. Loved to be proved wrong on that.

14 hours ago, Aussie Jambo said:

Slow to the take on this one. Just seen another Australian (Nathaniel Atkinson) on route to Hearts. 👌👏

As @filawill tell you, he’s a great defender. He’ll work well with the team we have at the moment. Plus big useless spit the dummy is off. I think you’d be a bit daft if you couldn’t work that out. See ye. 👏👋

Taking over the hearts ♥️ 

3 hours ago, cosanostra said:

We've not managed to find one of the first of those since Robbo. We are shit at signing goalscorers I guess.

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

3 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

2 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

And I'd like a dug that shits gold. 

Our DoF says he wants to win the league, to do that, we will need players that score goals chaps. 

Intact, if Boyce, GMS, Mckay etc al.. were clinical and buried the chances they've had this season, they'd be on target to hit those numbers this season in all comps. 

7 hours ago, fila said:

Taking over the hearts ♥️ 

Still got plenty more decent players we could send over. 

1 hour ago, Aussie Jambo said:

Still got plenty more decent players we could send over. 

Not many up here in Brisbane at the moment , Roar have been poor after a not to bad season last year 

11 hours ago, DC_92 said:

Good post - didn't know these stats.     Lafferty turned out to be a gem of a  signing for us, when many thought he was past it.  Cost us money, gave us 19 goals,  and we sold him for money.   It turned out to be the final good season of his career.     

As folk have mention - whoever Joe identifies will be a gamble, no matter how well the guy has done at previous clubs.    One potential way to improve the chances of success at Hearts is maybe to sign 2 attacking players from the one club - they'll have played together and might be more productive than if only 1 had come.    Hopefully  the new Aussie guy will settle in quickly due to Cammy being here.  

11 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Our DoF says he wants to win the league, to do that, we will need players that score goals chaps. 

Intact, if Boyce, GMS, Mckay etc al.. were clinical and buried the chances they've had this season, they'd be on target to hit those numbers this season in all comps. 

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "push the boat out"?

EG does it mean spending money we do not have or is it the old "speculate to accumulate" idea that got us into admin before?

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ** Hearts - January Transfer Window 2022 ** Toby Sibbick signs 3.5 year deal
  • davemclaren locked and unlocked this topic