***Official Rangers vs Heart of Midlothian match thread ***

William H. Bonney

10 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Some people saying we sat to deep in the first half !? That’s not true we were pressing them high up the field the difference was when they had the ball they kept it. Their passing was pretty good. We did really well at defending and Gordon was at his usual best to keep them out. Second half was a different story we actually took the game to them. We made very good game changing substitutions and most importantly never gave up. 

Agree, their passing was far sharper than ours and made it difficult to get the ball from them.  That's what pushed us back.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Hearts007

• King prawn

• CloustonHMFC

In France and never got a chance to get a stream so I only kept my eyes on the scores  coming in, absolutely chuffed at keeping our undefeated run going and delighted the tramps getting pumped . Going to have a few glasses of wine tonight,

FTH

18 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Half of them penalties maybe. I don’t dislike the guy. I just wonder sometimes if he really fits in our team if we’re playing a false 9. Not sure we wouldn’t do better with a more orthodox striker. Disnae matter just now but we lack options if he gets in a rut.

False 9 / orthodox striker . Seems like a contradiction 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

Agree, their passing was far sharper than ours and made it difficult to get the ball from them.  That's what pushed us back.

Flattered to deceive IMO. Played it around very well in the first half but rarely carved us open. 

Incidentally, some of our ball retention in tight places was superb, including playing it out of the back at times.

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Guy is on track to become our first 20+ scorer since Robbo and folk are complaining about him 🙈

Maybe if we get 15 penalties.  Starting to think we need better for a top 3/4 team, hope I’m wrong. 

Happy with today though, 2nd half was night and day compared to 1st half.  1st half was a mixture of Rangers playing well and us being shite / negative.  Delighted that it was a McGregor howler as well that gifted us the point after Kevin Thomson bumming him up as the “best ever bar none”.  Think you’ll find he was playing at the other end, Kevin you prick.  He sounded like he wanted a square go with Devin at one point too - “wish I had as many lives as him” at one point re his lack of yellow card. 

And how can a non Rangers man like Clive Tyldsley be so ****ing biased?!

Bazzas right boot
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Flattered to deceive IMO. Played it around very well in the first half but rarely carved us open. 

Incidentally, some of our ball retention in tight places was superb, including playing it out of the back at times.

It was, we showed glimpses. 

But in general gave it away and they were a yard faster. 

34 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

That was a pen for me and he’d have been booked. Made no attempt to play the ball and just ran across Boyce. There’s soft fouls and cynical fouling which that was for me. Then his booking for pulling back Boyce second half and he’s off. 
Other than that I thought he was ok Robertson today. 
And chuffed with the draw🇱🇻💪🏼

I  posted earlier up this thread, Devlin was pulled up for exactly this on the half way line just after getting a booking and I was thinking, no way will Hearts finish with eleven men. But the ref shat the bed on the Aribo "challenge, the pen  and the throat grabbing. Roll on VAR. 

RN always said that Gnando gives this team something different should they need to shake it up. He certainly made a difference today. Not just for what he does but for the problems he poses for defenders. 

if you watch the goal, McGreggor makes the error because he is trying to stop Gnando at the near post. That is because he considered him to be the threat….oooops!

Bazzas right boot
Just now, One five said:

You can stick that thumb up your shitter 😂

Looking at his expression , I think he has. 

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Ah Bob with the get a red to show passion to cover another poor selection/performance in Glasgow trick 

:facepalm: what an embarrassing comment. Post of the day, no doubt about it.

Aribo challenge was as clear a red as you could get. He is some player though, was pleased to see him subbed. 

Thought we did well on the whole.

17 minutes ago, CloustonHMFC said:

Guy is on track to become our first 20+ scorer since Robbo and folk are complaining about him 🙈

Some of the stick he's getting today is out of order expecially considering how howling Hearts were in the first 45 - literally hoofball and panicked clearances most of the time. He got no service and very little support. 

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I  posted earlier up this thread, Devlin was pulled up for exactly this on the half way line just after getting a booking and I was thinking, no way will Hearts finish with eleven men. But the ref shat the bed on the Aribo "challenge, the pen  and the throat grabbing. Roll on VAR. 

I hadn’t thought too much about Aribo’s challenge until I seen it again tbh. It certainly looks like it could’ve been a red. 
Not through there though I guess…

Devlin isnt dirty at all but his terrier like style made me honestly fear he’d have got sent off today. I was just waiting for it…

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Yep.  The “penalty” would have been given at the other end. Outside the box snd that’s a free kick 10/10 times. 

Francis Albert
54 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I remember that day. Sitting on the ball deemed ungentlemanly conduct after that, strangely enough. 

But not on at least two earlier occasions when Johnston did the same thing including in an OF match. Some things never change in Scottish football.

Anyway it was not as I said a Ford header from a direct cross from Murray but one from Jim Brown's cross after Murray had passed it down the line.  Sandy Jardine was so incensed by Murray's action that he ran towards him and got out of position.

I was careful to hide my scarf when leaving the ground. The natives were extremely restive!

At half time I had an air of resignation /reality check. We were never really at the races in the first half and fortunate to be only one goal adrift. The second half we were a different team and much more composed matching Sevco in every department. Really impressed in how we went about our business and if we had scored earlier I believe we would have had them  on the rack. As others have alluded to maybe our opponents played their a + plus game in the first period but football being as it is my mood changed rapidly in a relatively short period based on that second half performance. We have just got to keep the momentum going -- no ifs buts or maybes . Don't wish to tempt providence but we now have the resources and are in a situation where I believe we are a team with scope to up our game further. If we can hang on in until the January window then the future is bright.

i'm yet again waiting for the replay to post on Hearts TV but I was able to catch about 3' to 22' or something like that on my phone while the kids were at swim lessons. My thought early on was, "well, this will shut anyone up on JKB who's on about negative football."  Devlin was tackling their midfield for fun, their midfield was frustrated, and we had some nice early moves that broke us into space but didn't quite come off. There was one moment where Rangers pressed Beni on the left side, and I was worried until I realized who had the ball, and sure enough he calmly reversed the ball out of trouble.

By the time I had to turn it off Rangers were starting to push forward. One moment in particular seemed to unnerve us, when the CHs clearly needed Beni and Devlin and they weren't there. We switched the ball around the backfield and one of their forwards jumped the passing lane and started a move. Where we had been up in their faces most of the first 15 minutes, we suddenly started to drop off and Rangers really pushed forward. It seemed like a key moment.

I can only assume from the stats and the comments that that persisted until the end of the half. I was able to check JKB and from the chat at the time I thought Souttar had been given a straight red and we were playing with 10 minute. Next I was able to check in it was FT and was delighted to see we'd grabbed a point.

Looking forward to watching the replay. Thanks to whoever posted the highlights above -- wow do I love hearing Ibrox go quiet like that :loved:.

42 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

No doubt he works hard. Is that enough though ? He doesn’t keep possession well enough for me. He doesn’t make runs. He’s a mediocre passer and penalties apart, he’s not a prolific goal scorer.

Hardly ever see him making a front post run.  Not having a go just stating a fact.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

At half time I had an air of resignation /reality check. We were never really at the races in the first half and fortunate to be only one goal adrift. The second half we were a different team and much more composed matching Sevco in every department. Really impressed in how we went about our business and if we had scored earlier I believe we would have had them  on the rack. As others have alluded to maybe our opponents played their a + plus game in the first period but football being as it is my mood changed rapidly in a relatively short period based on that second half performance. We have just got to keep the momentum going -- no ifs buts or maybes . Don't wish to tempt providence but we now have the resources and are in a situation where I believe we are a team with scope to up our game further. If we can hang on in until the January window then the future is bright.

Good summary 👍🏽👏🏾

31 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ex-hearts-striker-genero-zeefuik-14432587

Not him obviously but someone who comes in and makes an impact like him when we're already going well would be brilliant. Not sure any jan signing has ever made such an impact. Great to be looking at signings when, hopefully still, in a strong position in the league rather than looking to replace people.

Step forward Lequincio Zeefuik

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

Will there be the same outcry against Aribo as there was for Porteous on...Aribo?

Doubtful.

Exactly, will sportscene even mention it?

I thought rangers played well first half and pushed us back. Have watched some of their euro games plus a couple league games and generally they've looked flat. However, I think we pressed them and made them work really hard to get on top in that period - this then resulted in them running out of gas at the end of the game.

I thought we played pretty well throughout today. It is clearly not easy to go to Glasgow, take the game to them and dominate. Today was a pretty good game plan though that let us have a good go at the end and ultimately get the point. We did ride outy luck a little at times but I thought we were pretty composed in defense and smart in attack.

1 minute ago, 132goals1958 said:

Rangers TV commentators , after 30 minutes , "Hearts will tire, they can't keep this up". I was thinking , if this was a Euro tie I'd be pretty happy , Hearts had started really poorly but had weathered the storm and Rangers didn't look like maintaining their good start (and then the goal went in).  I think the personnel changes were the difference because in the first half there just wasn't a proper  balance or enough threat when we had possession. 

And I don't think Rangers are "that" good. 

Pasquale for King
59 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Aye but kevin thomoson said aribo had to go in that high due to the ball bouncing too high.....one of many stupid things he said today, including the belter about mcgregor being scotlands top keeper..........ohhh my fekkin sides

He’s a tool, I had to turn it down 😆

6 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Are we a team of two half’s? 

No.  But Rangers are a team of one half.  They came out of the traps buzzing but could not sustain the pace in second half.

We got out of jail in the first half we gave them to much room but as the second proceeded we seemed to get a grip on the game and deserved a point guys.

Pasquale for King
51 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Indeed. No complaints at all about the manager today. Dunno what he got a red for but hey, doesn’t really matter much.

I was just glad it wasn’t a player 😆

The game at Parkhead and today again at Ibrox we looked like a totally different team in the second half. I don't know what the explanation for that is but if we could play in both halves the way we have played in the second half of these matches then we would give both Celtic and Sevco serious cause for concern.

The fact that we are capable of raising our level of performance like that during the course of a match is so encouraging though. It shows a strength of character in our team. That strength of character could take us a long way this season. This team has talent. If we can match mental strength and self belief to that ability then this could be a very exciting season.

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Or are rangers? 

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

McGregor gave up being a Jambo a long time ago. 

He’s a prick, very pleasing to see him make a howler like that. 😁

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

No.  But Rangers are a team of one half.  They came out of the traps buzzing but could not sustain the pace in second half.

Celtic have done the same v us x2. 

They press that high and play at such a high  tempo that if they are not out of sight by around 60/79 minutes they tire. 

It's a big drop in their levels as well. 

Saw **** all of that today and just back home just now. First game I haven’t seen one way or another in over a year.  What a terrific result.  

Edited by GinRummy

Last 30 minutes we were really good at times.

Went wide but also through the channels.

Some of interplay around the box was a bit rusty but you can see what we are trying to do.

Halkett who I've been a bit wary about was solid and really chuffed for him.

Isnt it great to see players want the ball and  make runs off it .

Nice and rosy in the Gorgie garden.

27 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

No but football is a game of two halves.

Nowadays can last for upto 90-100 minutes.