Hello Hello

WDJ87

The White Cockade
23 minutes ago, jonesy said:

If you were all from the same badly-wired Catholic family as I am, you’d all be belting it out with as much gusto as I do. ;) 

You’re still living in the 1970’s mate 

or should that be the 1690’s? 😂

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Paninaro Hearts

• PortyBeach

• Hmfc1965

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest ToqueJambo
On 28/08/2021 at 10:11, Savage Vince said:

Both our goalscorers blessed themselves too. 😁

This is worth highlighting and the fact nothing at all was made of it )other than here now but it is in context). We have a minority of absolute nuggets sadly. The Rangers fans without bus fares are indeed present in our support (especially away when they're less harder to police and there are fewer Hearts fans to stand up to them) and Budge has worked hard to weed them out which is why she (and anyone seen as connected to her, like Neilson, got and get so much undeserved stick). We all know a lot of the movement against her is driven by the bigots in our support that she has targeted.

But the comparisons with Rangers do my head in. We're a million miles from them. Remember Boruc crossing himself and the outcry.... Imagine a Rangers player doing it every match! Our players do it all the time with zero comment or controversy. It doesn't make the songs and that right, but it's worth putting the problem in our support in perspective. It *should" also make it easier to stamp out if decent Hearts fans do their bit.

Edited by ToqueJambo

SomethingAboutObua

Still absolutely no reasons given for singing it beyond "its a good tune" 🤨.  There's literally hundreds of marching tunes/songs to choose from that could replace it.

folk saying we should learn to live with it is frankly pathetic. No, I wouldn't personally shout at a gang of young men in the stands singing it and no one is asking you to, but surely you would be in support of fans putting pressure on the club to ban it? Pressure on the league to be harder on sectarian (and racist/sexist/homophobic etc of course) bile? 

It’s been around for multiple decades. Despite (sadly) the offensive lyrics sung by many.

Why?

Simply it’s one of the most spontaneous, motivational, inspiring, intimidating, unifying, defiant, irreverent  terracing tunes ever!

Perhaps one day it will be superseded! 

35 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

It’s been around for multiple decades. Despite (sadly) the offensive lyrics sung by many.

Why?

Simply it’s one of the most spontaneous, motivational, inspiring, intimidating, unifying, defiant, irreverent  terracing tunes ever!

Perhaps one day it will be superseded! 

That argument also covers any number of racist and/or sectarian songs from the 70s and 80s but doesn't make them acceptable.

7 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

That's a bold claim.  At the risk of boring you further, how do you know that the majority of Hearts fans feel that way?

7 hours ago, jb66 said:

A good gauge is the fact the majority of fans were joining in yesterday 

I don't think that 1500 fans in Dundee should equate to "the majority of Hearts fans."

It will disappear from the stadium  in a few years for sure, be a while after that before you hear the last of it on away trips 

William H. Bonney

I think the only way it will ever stop is if those in charge start deducting points. 
That though, will never happen. 

11 hours ago, Savage Vince said:

It's hardly sung at all at Tynecastle nowadays. Occasionally v Celtic and the reaction from a lot of supporters inside the stadium would suggest you're wrong. 

Just my personal opinion mate, and I respect yours. Unfortunately some on here don't think your allowed to have a different opinion to theirs. 

Governor Tarkin
9 hours ago, jonesy said:

If you were all from the same badly-wired Catholic family as I am, you’d all be belting it out with as much gusto as I do. ;) 

If your Mrs was a badly-wired Catholic like mines is, you’d all be belting it out with as much gusto as I do.

58 minutes ago, Bringitbak said:

Just my personal opinion mate, and I respect yours. Unfortunately some on here don't think your allowed to have a different opinion to theirs

I see it differently.

What I want from a discussion board is a discussion. That means people expressing all kinds of opinions.

What does my head in is people who are not prepared to back up their opinions with reasons. As usual, this thread is full of them.

Why do people think it's OK to sing a Glasgow gang song?

What is a Gorgie Billy Boy? Why Billy?

Why do Hearts fans sing songs like this when many of our fans and some of our best players are Catholics?

Do you think Hearts are a Protestant / Orange / Loyalist club? If you do, what is the evidence?

Nobody who defends the song (for example, you) ever explains this.

The best we'll get is that it creates a great atmosphere. Nothing about the words and why some sing them.

This is an invitation to you, Bringitbak, to express some opinions. Please go ahead.

It's also kind of ironic that this happens in a season where we pay tribute to our late captain, Marius Zaliukas, with the MND logo on our shirts.

A Catholic, I believe (certainly had a Catholic funeral).

One of the best ways we could remember Zal is to forget this song for ever.

21 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

It's also kind of ironic that this happens in a season where we pay tribute to our late captain, Marius Zaliukas, with the MND logo on our shirts.

A Catholic, I believe (certainly had a Catholic funeral).

One of the best ways we could remember Zal is to forget this song for ever.

There’s a good chance. Wiki suggests Lithuania is 75% Catholic.

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Ach, can’t be arsed with the Protestants either. 

Rather, I’m still sore over the 1209 expulsion from Carcassonne. 

😄

Governor Tarkin
47 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

I see it differently.

What I want from a discussion board is a discussion. That means people expressing all kinds of opinions.

What does my head in is people who are not prepared to back up their opinions with reasons. As usual, this thread is full of them.

Why do Hearts fans sing songs like this when many of our fans and some of our best players are Catholics?

Do you think Hearts are a Protestant / Orange / Loyalist club? If you do, what is the evidence?

The best we'll get is that it creates a great atmosphere. Nothing about the words and why some sing them.

This is an invitation to you, Bringitbak, to express some opinions. Please go ahead.

'I have no interest in Glasgow gangs, I don't care who Billy was, I have no time for religion and don't particularly dislike Catholics (apart from those who fill the away end when Celtic come to town - and even then it's only pantomime), I just like singing the Hello Hello song. Its powerful, and somehow makes me feel good' might not make much sense, but it is a reason.

Trying to elucidate reason from an irrational emotional response is tricky.  

That's football for you.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

20 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I hear ya. In similar circumstances, I tried getting some catchy Manchukuo ditties going in the away end at Pittodrie once, but they were drowned out by the locals singing The East is Red.

😂

maroonlegions
On 28/08/2021 at 19:02, Ainsley Harriott said:

We're up to our knees in Anderson money and we have nice pies, we are the gorgeous gorgie boys. Think that could catch on?

:rofl:

17 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

'I have no interest in Glasgow gangs, I don't care who Billy was, I have no time for religion and don't particularly dislike Catholics (apart from those who fill the away end when Celtic come to town - and even then it's only pantomime), I just like singing the Hello Hello song. Its powerful, and somehow makes me feel good' might not make much sense, but it is a reason.

That's football for you.

Thanks. That's how I imagine many of the singers feel (and I entirely agree that it is hard to be rational about football).

But it seems to me that as long as people think like this (words don't matter as long as there is a good atmosphere) and sing songs like that, Hearts will deservedly get a reputation for having a sectarian element in our support.

How do you feel about Hearts having that reputation?

I'd rather be driving sectarianism out of Scottish football. And that starts with my own team. There really is no point complaining about how other teams' fans behave when we have the same problem.

7 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

'I have no interest in Glasgow gangs, I don't care who Billy was, I have no time for religion and don't particularly dislike Catholics (apart from maybe my Mrs and those who fill the away end when Celtic come to town - and even then it's only pantomime), I just like singing the Hello Hello song. Its powerful, and somehow makes me feel good' might not make much sense, but it is a reason.

That's football for you.

You make an interesting point about “irrational emotion”.

We all, however, have the ability to defer to our thinking brain and to respond using logic and reason instead of emotion. We all have that choice.

In the context of this discussion, the application of logic and reason should surely deter us from singing songs containing words and sentiments which will inevitably offend and be viewed as divisive by a section of our own support, let alone outside observers.

Logic and reason should also lead us to be fearful of the reputational damage inflicted on HMFC as a result of the club’s supporters expressing archaic anti-Catholic 

vitriol. 
“That’s football for you” doesn’t cut it, I’m afraid.

18 hours ago, Bringitbak said:

Song has been sung for years and will be sung for years to come. Nothing anyone on here says or does will change that, doesn't bother me or the majority of fans, more important things to worry about. Bore off. 

Bore off, a phrase used by folk who are part of the problem not the solution 

ToadKiller Dog

We should be better than lauding a violent fascist sectarian wife beating thug .Billy Fullerton set up the first branch of the KKK in Scotland. 

So it's not just any players/supporters from a Catholic background being insulted .

So while it is a rabble rousing tune and fun to sing even if you are the most open minded person you are still giving tacit support to a horrible ideology .

Time to put that tune in the bin ,we had so many good songs on the go on Saturday that were relevant to the club to the players . 

Starman works well and 22 is a great replacement for the since 1902 stuff .

We are the Capital club not some off shoot of the weegie disease. 

Let's be the club that others look on with envy .

upgotheheads
On 28/08/2021 at 18:13, TypoonJambo said:

It's not a horrible song. It's roots are.  Sung with gusto,with the correct lyrics It's inspirational and easy to sing. However,it's tainted by bigotry so us well meaning jambos can't even sing the non religious version,shame.

What are the correct Lyrics? Theses are are ones published in Wikipedia;

Hello, Hello
We are the Billy Boys
Hello, Hello
You'll know us by our noise
We're up to our knees in Fenian blood
Surrender or you'll die
For we are
The Brigton Derry Boys[29]

The 'Derry Boys' were a smaller, youth faction of the Billy Boys, and the original version used the term Brigton Billy Boys in its place.[30]

An alternative, sanitised Rangers-specific version was later used extensively:[10]

Hello, Hello
We are the Rangers Boys
Hello, Hello
You'll know us by our noise
We'll give anything to see our team
At Ibrox or away
For we are

Billy Fullerton was a violent Gasgow thug with fascist links (and with the Klu Klux Klan apparently). Why would anyone at Tynecastle want to be associated with that?

upgotheheads
Everyone will recall when @HumzaYousaf criticised those screaming sectarian abuse during various Remembrance Sunday silences, or when fans hung effigies of rival supporters at a football stadium or when pro IRA songs are sung routinely at Celtic away games. Right?? 🤔

Sadly there's at least one racist git on Social media dragging our name through the mud with a classic bit of  bigoted  Whitabootery.

Season upon season our snowflake army grows ever more stronger. 

Sticks and stones. Bless 

Everybody Loves Baz!
2 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

I see it differently.

👏👏👏👏

upgotheheads
7 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Sticks and stones. Bless 

Sadly there's at least one racist git on Social media dragging our name through the mud with a classic bit of  bigoted  Whitabootery.

Are you another one?

12 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:
Everyone will recall when @HumzaYousaf criticised those screaming sectarian abuse during various Remembrance Sunday silences, or when fans hung effigies of rival supporters at a football stadium or when pro IRA songs are sung routinely at Celtic away games. Right?? 🤔

FB chants at Tannadice are all tickety-boo because... Celtic! Whitaboot effigy's!  

9 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Are you another one?

I proud to be a racist. Last time I checked it was labeled politically incorrect. Going up in the world then! 

1 minute ago, Sherbet said:

Wonder how many on here complaining about hello hello  sing the hibees are gay?

😂 Spot on 

On 28/08/2021 at 18:08, WDJ87 said:

Can we just pack this in please?! Horrible horrible song 😠

:spoton:

Utter cringeworthy

upgotheheads
1 minute ago, Restonbabe said:

I proud to be a racist. Last time I checked it was labeled politically incorrect. Going up in the world then! 

Proud to be a racist, proud to be a bigot.

Get a life.

4 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Not many I'd imagine.

3 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

:cornette:

I used to sing it as a daft teenager, but then I grew up.

Cant be too critical of the daft young laddies, easily influenced, peer pressure and the rest.  It's the older crowd that are stuck in the juvenile mindset that are more of a concern.

Just so we are keeping it consistent, can we also stop singing about smashing hibs fans with hammers while on the beach. Hitting people with hammers is bad and not very 21st century.

Edited by Section N Rules

3 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Was okay as a one-off in 2005 but any repeat outing is totally embarrassing.  

6 minutes ago, Section N Rules said:

Just so we are keeping it consistent, can we also stop singing about smashing hibs fans with hammers while on the beach. Hitting people with hammers is bad and not very 21st century.

It’s only a wild guess, but I’d imagine it wasn’t such a funky practice in previous centuries either…🤨

1 minute ago, PortyBeach said:

It’s only a wild guess, but I’d imagine it wasn’t such a funky practice in previous centuries either…🤨th

Im not sure as i wasn't born at the time but I've heard the gorgie aggro were a bit naughty back in the day

:naughty:

SomethingAboutObua
29 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Probably none of us? Anyone that still sings that is surely in P7 at the oldest 

2 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Probably none of us? Anyone that still sings that is surely in P7 at the oldest 

Its some of the best whataboutery on the thread though 

53 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Sticks and stones. Bless 

It’s called growing up as a society.

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

Proud to be a racist, proud to be a bigot.

Get a life.

It's my life. I'll live it how I see fit. 

3 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

You are but going on what the old bill are saying after some Sevco followers were, allegedly, singing yesterday…it’s a risky business. Some of those daft boys will be getting their collars felt in the near future.

Good luck. 👍

10 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

You’re surely not advocating being a racist? 

6 minutes ago, Boab said:

You are but going on what the old bill are saying after some Sevco followers were, allegedly, singing yesterday…it’s a risky business. Some of those daft boys will be getting their collars felt in the near future.

Good luck. 👍

Imagine openly admitting to being Jayda Fransen 

John Findlay
15 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

You are correct, but don't get all hissy when you are correctly called out.

Thankfully in the 21st century in the Hearts support overall, you and your ilk are a dying breed.

• davemclaren locked this topic