Beni - out until next season with cruciate injury

wattie exploited

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Saturday's hard to guess and anyone not playing won't have been dropped rather than rested would be my take of it.  Fine line between treating it like a cake walk and getting a fright and getting some minutes in legs and resting guys like Halks who perhaps need it due to carrying a knock.  As with everything, cov19 may play a part too.

For me, Beni needs to bide his time and win his spot back, and that's the deal with having a good squad.  The brilliant thing about it, and been a while since we could say this, is we have a couple of key players missing but are in a position where there's no rush to bring them back.  With such a small squad, that is absolute testiment to how balanced it is now.

I'm still 50/50 on Devlin. 

Very tenancious and good out of possession but I'm not convinced with him in possession yet. 

I think Beni is better and Haring as he improves is better on the ball and offers a threat in the air. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wattie exploited

• Bazzas right boot

• Thomaso

• TheBigO

Devlin's energy is fantastic and I can't see us leaving him out anytime soon. I think he's better on the ball than he gets credit for. I thought he was poor first half on Tuesday but after that he had a very good game. 

Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

Very tenancious and good out of possession but I'm not convinced with him in possession yet. 

I think Beni is better and Haring as he improves is better on the ball and offers a threat in the air. 

Yeah I'm the same, he brings a lot to the table but you can see him almost freeze when there isn't an obvious ball on

9 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Haring hasn't put a foot wrong.  What we have is 3 very very good CMs and two positions up for grabs.  Whichever 2 play, I'm happy tbh.

What Pete brings as well as general play is a physical presence at set pieces, which especially in defence, we lack a bit (and Beni has been caught out a couple of times too, not complaining but it's something for him to work on).  Just another wee dimension to consider when picking.

I loved when Beni and Dev first got together and were pinning teams in in their own third, just not letting them out.  Was brilliant to see.  Their interactions together were always great too, obviously get on really well.

As I say, any two from three.  When's the last time we could with any justification say that about our midfield!!!!  McEneff a good player too and Smith actually a very able CM too.  Opshuns!!!!!

You're spot on about midfield, for the first time since Djoum it's a strength of ours.

3 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

There will also be games you could make a case for playing all 3. As you say very good options and big Pete has been excellent cover without quite having the same energy levels but does bring more physicality. 

Depends what you mean by energy I guess.  He strolls games does Pete - always where you need him if that makes sense.  And I actually think he moves the ball quicker and more progressively than the other two.  Again, not a slight on Dev or Beni, they're all superb.  Pete by far the sexiest, I think we all agree.

Yup, I guess OF away games it makes sense.  More of a 352 type thing.  I actually quite like the thought for those games of playing Dev slightly ahead of the other two and allowing him to basically follow the ball when out of possession, so his job is harrying defenders and DCMs into mistakes and long balls.

3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Devlin is so tenacious, always in the oppositon faces.  Wins ball back so often and must be a nightmare to play against.  Maybe lacks a bit of composure on the ball but he's a must for me.  

SectionDJambo
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Yeah I'm the same, he brings a lot to the table but you can see him almost freeze when there isn't an obvious ball on

Neil Berry did a great job for us doing exactly the same.

All Devlin has to do is win the ball and play as simple a pass as he likes to get us moving forward. Beni, on the other hand, can win the ball and go forward with it himself.

Both make us much stronger and more competitive in the midfield area than we have been for some time.

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

You're spot on about midfield, for the first time since Djoum it's a strength of ours.

And even with Djoum (who I really liked), he often had little in there with him.  I liked Cowie (as unpopular as that appears on here) and we had others of course who did OK, incl Lee.  But as a trio, never had this strength since, I duno, maybe early VR days??

Anyone got any idea if he’s due back or still out for a while? 
No heard nothing really since start of December 

We_are_the_Hearts
1 minute ago, theshed said:

Anyone got any idea if he’s due back or still out for a while? 
No heard nothing really since start of December 

Should be on the bench tomorrow, start against Celtic

Just now, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Should be on the bench tomorrow, start against Celtic

Fingers crossed.  Slightly concerning that what looked like an innocuous injury had him out so long.  

6 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I think he does good work that seems to be overlooked.  He's often played very nice little balls in and around the box, and he can be intricate around the 20 yard mark (had a lovely dummy that nearly paid off the other night).  At least once a game he gets himself a decent chance with a good run too - though the dafty needs to work on his composure - I mean, bring that one back across the defender on to your left foot on Tues, son!

His biting and energy are huge to the way we play, so even if he has failings, I don't see us replacing that.  For me, he's the first choice of the 3, even though he may weirdly be the lesser as a "player" if that makes sense (though I don't like that term as a player is anyone effective, not all about silk)

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

I think he does good work that seems to be overlooked.  He's often played very nice little balls in and around the box, and he can be intricate around the 20 yard mark (had a lovely dummy that nearly paid off the other night).  At least once a game he gets himself a decent chance with a good run too - though the dafty needs to work on his composure - I mean, bring that one back across the defender on to your left foot on Tues, son!

His biting and energy are huge to the way we play, so even if he has failings, I don't see us replacing that.  For me, he's the first choice of the 3, even though he may weirdly be the lesser as a "player" if that makes sense (though I don't like that term as a player is anyone effective, not all about silk)

Fair as well. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

Also agreed. 

On 13/11/2021 at 12:17, Section Q said:

Just read Ellis Sims expected to leave Everton in January. 20yo striker who was loaned to Blackpool last season and scored ten goals to get them to the play offs before he picked up an injury. He's been in the everton first team squad a few times this season without starting. Could be another Beni...........thoughts anyone..?

Guest ToqueJambo
On 21/01/2022 at 02:41, TheBigO said:

And even with Djoum (who I really liked), he often had little in there with him.  I liked Cowie (as unpopular as that appears on here) and we had others of course who did OK, incl Lee.  But as a trio, never had this strength since, I duno, maybe early VR days??

Cowie, Kitchen and Djoum were developing into a good midfield 3, with Cowie and Kitchen sitting, but Cathro ripped that up, trying all sorts of centre midfield permutations for no reason at all.

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Cowie, Kitchen and Djoum were developing into a good midfield 3, with Cowie and Kitchen sitting, but Cathro ripped that up, trying all sorts of centre midfield permutations for no reason at all.

It was, it was a good balance as well. 

Kitchen sitting, Cowie box to box and Djoum more attacking. 

He ripped up a side sitting 3rd for no reason. 

wattie exploited
16 hours ago, Factuer Moi said:

No transfer fee paid, value £270Th.

will be worth about £ a million when he is fit again and another year under his belt :rifle:

2 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

will be worth about £ a million when he is fit again and another year under his belt :rifle:

Ellis Sims ? 

HeartsandonlyHearts

Oh how we missed Beni. What a signing. Absolutely strolled that game.
Simms looks a baller. Looks a decent signing. I’m very confident of third place being ours.

A combination of formation change and the substitution, but for me Baningime changed the game. We took control of the game in midfield and should have done better with our possession.

A_A wehatethehibs

Shouldn’t be judging us on games vs them, we are underdogs quality wise, we competed and fought our way back into it. Had the chance to make it 2-2 and missed it. Just need to stop giving these ***** a head start. Anyway we move on now to a game where we are the favourites and want to put on a dominant performance. 

This tactics of letting the OF running us ragged in the first 45 and burning themselves out after 70 minutes doesn't seem to work if we don't take our chances.

A_A wehatethehibs

And btw for me it’s Beni and devlin at cm. cammy has 1 bad game and suddenly he’s pish. Them 2 are both dynamos for us teams can’t live with their engines 

We are well covered in centre mid.

Haring back doing well and Beni back.

Concerned about CBs.

Halkett injured, Moore??, Souttar maybe away.

Thought we looked much more likely to score when we went for a back 4. I understand the merits of a back five system but with the players that we have it feels like we're just wasting a position when we play a left back next to Kingsley. Would like to see a lopsided front three similar to the Adam-Hamilton-McCann set up of old:

________________Gordon

Atkinson__Souttar__Halkett__Kingsley

________Devlin__Haring__Baningme

_______McKay__Simms__Boyce

Thought Cammy was a bit unlucky tonight. No idea why he got a yellow. Subbed was right thing to do as he was going to be provoked into the 2nd yellow. That said quite a few players could have been subbed if the decision was based on not trying hard enough in that first half.

The Old Tolbooth
4 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Thought we looked much more likely to score when we went for a back 4. I understand the merits of a back five system but with the players that we have it feels like we're just wasting a position when we play a left back next to Kingsley. Would like to see a lopsided front three similar to the Adam-Hamilton-McCann set up of old:

________________Gordon

Now that’s a team!! 

number witheld
15 minutes ago, logopolis said:

This tactics of letting the OF running us ragged in the first 45 and burning themselves out after 70 minutes doesn't seem to work if we don't take our chances.

Not sure that’s tactics. They are just better than us. They do it to most teams. 

2 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

________________Gordon

I thought we were playing a four right from the start?

Actually no idea what the formation was in the first half but it was a disaster. Cochrane completely lost. 

No reason to change from 3-4-3 for most games though but back to the drawing board for Celtic and Ranger’s games. 

Captain Lithuania
14 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

And btw for me it’s Beni and devlin at cm. cammy has 1 bad game and suddenly he’s pish. Them 2 are both dynamos for us teams can’t live with their engines 

Devlin has been poor for the majority of his games IMO. Runs about a lot and winds folk up. Can’t do anything first time and his second touch is often a (bad) tackle. Good squad player and better than the Olly Lee days but not even close to Haring and Beni. 

Devlin chases every ball and while that's what you usually want at home when you are up against a team that are comfortable in possession you need someone that can win the battles that need won but knows when to drop off and stick to his man. That was the difference when Beni came on. Devlin didn't have a bad game, he just didn't adapt to what was needed 

Hard to take but this is the best squad we’ve had in a long time. Great effort to get ourselves back in the game tonight against a side with **** knows how many times our resources. Onwards and upwards.

wattie exploited

welcome back Beni  what a difference when he came on Devlin was pure shit today cant make a forward pass !!!!!!!!!!     :rifle:

6 hours ago, wattie exploited said:

I'd multiply that by 5. He's that good

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Beni - out until next season with cruciate injury