Neilson's failings during season 2021/2

lost in space

8 hours ago, martoon said:

Lazy question, Vlad.

It's the remit of whoever is hiring and firing to research who is available and would improve Hearts' fortunes.

Not the support.

Many don't believe that is happening when "down the corridor", and down the corridor's mini me, is the furthest she'll look.

Aye, she appointed Stendel, but down the corridor was still hanging about and even showed the new man around.

Is Neilson really the best head coach Hearts can have, in your opinion?

I don’t have a crystal ball.

It appears some people do though gazing torn faced into the sphere wherein nothing but failure and misery can be seen.

Contrary to some people’s beliefs I’m not blindly following the fortunes of the club all misty eyed and subservient. I’m a firm believer in man management with performance indicators. Robbie quite simply has to perform or he will be out the door.

Im keen to see him succeed because if he succeeds, Hearts succeed. 

Im also keen for him to succeed because having witnessed the managerial roulette wheel spun more times than i would have liked, it’s obvious we are not as attractive a club as some of our supporters think we are. That last point is completely subjective and personal. Some will argue we are a massive club who should be attracting names from all across the world of football. Others see us as possibly the 3rd biggest club in a Scottish league dominated by the OF and laughed at by the majority of the rest of Europe.

We have to face up to the fact that we are operating in the very low end of the market when it comes to recruitment. That’s players and management.

Reality versus expectation is sometimes very hard to accept.

Im waffling a bit now.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• Fozzyonthefence

10 hours ago, davie1980 said:

Don't complain when your team has a dreadful result?

What on earth are you slavering about? I can't complain about my team having a bad result because I was relatively happy when they were on a decent run of results?

I celebrated when we put Hibs out the cup then came within 1 kick of winning the thing and preventing the quadruple treble. I moaned like feck when we lost to Brora and I was pleased when we won the league by a comfortable margin.

I then appraise the season as a whole and say all in all that was a success.

This year we are up from the championship, have won all the games we are expected to win and of the two we were expected to lose we won one of them. If we keep that up I'll be pleased and if we are pushing for European places at the end of the season I will consider that a successful campaign whether we have one horrendously off night against lower league opposition or not.

And if we do I'll have a good old gripe but I'll still assess the campaign as a whole and if Robbie gets us in the top end of the table I'll still be here defending him while you'll still be here throwing the odd bad result at me and probably havering some inane pish about lack of football philosophy, unsatisfactory tempo of play and how you don't feel entertained

Supercilious drivel

10 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

“the worst effort I have seen from a Hearts team at Parkhead”😂😂😂😂

Have you been a hearts fan for about two years? 

Unlike you I’ve been watching Hearts home and away since the 1950’s. If you think the way we played in the first half was good then it’s obvious you are talking about yourself.

14 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Unlike you I’ve been watching Hearts home and away since the 1950’s. If you think the way we played in the first half was good then it’s obvious you are talking about yourself.

Supercilious drivel

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Yipee, he left us in a semi final. He also left us in last place. A fecking donkey.

:spoton:

16 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

That must put you at 70 or maybe even close to 80 years old depending on how early in the 50’s you started watching them?

You don’t talk like a gentleman from that era.

2 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

That must put you at 70 or maybe even close to 80 years old depending on how early in the 50’s you started watching them?

You don’t talk like a gentleman from that era.

I find it laughable that some claim to have supported Hearts from the 70s or earlier and come out with ludicrous statements about witnessing the worst performance they have ever seen etc.

I started following Hearts properly from the late 80s onwards home and away and have seen more than my share of shocking performances under numerous managers and owners.  Their opinions are simpy not credible for someone going home and away all that time, notably the dire 70s era.

There has to be some balance of realism over expectation and the reality is that we are not nearly as big or as good as some people pretend we are to have a pop at the manager.  The reasons for that are varied from two relegations in 10 years for starters, but we need an extended period of stability to build.

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Yes we were placed in the same league but our budget was not in the same league, our professional status was not in the same league...Come on, you're clutching at straws trying to sell that one. It was a shocking result. Only saving grace was that we trumped it at Brora, where we didn't just lose to semi-pros and amateurs but actually contrived to lose to a amateur part-time non-league outfit...

Agreed, but my point stands. 

Brora is way out on it's own. 😭

Brighton Jambo
55 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

I don’t believe you.  Anyone who has seen us play for that long would never believe that is the worst they have ever seen us at Parkhead.  I don’t think it was good, of course I don’t, but to claim it’s the worst ever is a hysterical overreaction which, if you are as old as you claim, is frankly embarrassing.  

27 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I find it laughable that some claim to have supported Hearts from the 70s or earlier and come out with ludicrous statements about witnessing the worst performance they have ever seen etc.

I started following Hearts properly from the late 80s onwards home and away and have seen more than my share of shocking performances under numerous managers and owners.  Their opinions are simpy not credible for someone going home and away all that time, notably the dire 70s era.

There has to be some balance of realism over expectation and the reality is that we are not nearly as big or as good as some people pretend we are to have a pop at the manager.  The reasons for that are varied from two relegations in 10 years for starters, but we need an extended period of stability to build.

The guy is entitled to his opinion but I take your point.

There were some quite catastrophic performances in Glasgow going back 40 or more years.

I could name more than a few but there was one at Ibrox in the early Eighties. Gubbed 4 zip by a pretty ordinary Rangers team in front of a sparse crowd. We were already down but it was awful ! 
There are more if anyone wants depressing ? 🥴

Mars plastic
Just now, Brighton Jambo said:

I don’t believe you.  Anyone who has seen us play for that long would never believe that is the worst they have ever seen us at Parkhead.  I don’t think it was good, of course I don’t, but to claim it’s the worst ever is a hysterical overreaction which, if you are as old as you claim, is frankly embarrassing.  

The first half was as bad as I’ve seen through there and I’ve seen some real keek over the years.

Mars plastic
Just now, Boab said:

The guy is entitled to his opinion but I take your point.

There were some quite catastrophic performances in Glasgow going back 40 or more years.

I could name more than a few but there was one at Ibrox in the early Eighties. Gubbed 4 zip by a pretty ordinary Rangers team in front of a sparse crowd. We were already down but it was awful ! 
There are more if anyone wants depressing ? 🥴

All the games Levein was in charge. 

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Yipee, he left us in a semi final. He also left us in last place. A fecking donkey.

Tried to clean up Levein’s shit but couldn’t do it.   Would have been far better appointing him in the summer instead of the winter of a relegation battle and imposing a game plan on a squad of players that weren’t suited to it.  Did appear to be a better cup manager than Neilson in his short spell but failed in the job he was brought in to do, although not as bad as Levein. 

4 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

First time round we actually won at Ibrox. Parkhead was desperate though, I’ll give you that.

7 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

The first half was as bad as I’ve seen through there and I’ve seen some real keek over the years.

The difference with this game was that it was down to poor tactics - we stood off them, let them play through us and failed to pick up our men at the goals - as opposed to just poor players.  And you know who was responsible for that.

1 hour ago, Vlad Magic said:

It appears some people do though gazing torn faced into the sphere wherein nothing but failure and misery can be seen.

Understandable given the last 3-4 seasons?  It's not entitlement, but we should be doing better than we have been.  As I said earlier, so far so good as far as the league goes, but Sunday's first half performance seemed like nothing had changed, sadly.

Contrary to some people’s beliefs I’m not blindly following the fortunes of the club all misty eyed and subservient. I’m a firm believer in man management with performance indicators. Robbie quite simply has to perform or he will be out the door.

Good on you.  Credit where it is due, criticism equally so.

I'm pretty sure that's where everyone is at, but I guess we need to know what the definition of success is?

Im also keen for him to succeed because having witnessed the managerial roulette wheel spun more times than i would have liked, it’s obvious we are not as attractive a club as some of our supporters think we are. That last point is completely subjective and personal. Some will argue we are a massive club who should be attracting names from all across the world of football. Others see us as possibly the 3rd biggest club in a Scottish league dominated by the OF and laughed at by the majority of the rest of Europe.

We have to face up to the fact that we are operating in the very low end of the market when it comes to recruitment. That’s players and management.

Im waffling a bit now.

I kind of get what you are saying there, however other clubs seem to do fine?

Maybe it isn't RN's fault, but after the Cathro & Levein debacles, RN is to many linked to that previous regime, so it is perhaps understandable why people remain to be convinced.

As stated on numerous occasions previously, happy to be proven wrong and my misgivings are misplaced.

7 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

Nope.  A bit of balance might make your rant a little more credible.

Here's a couple that I take it you must have hated...

Fozzyonthefence

Im waffling a bit now.

I can’t argue with that except perhaps the bit in bold.  I’m not sure Robbie will be shown the door if he doesn’t perform (although we will all have different opinions on what “performing” means, what position in the league would that be, progress in cups?).  Levein didn’t perform and wasn’t shown the door, not early enough anyway and is the main reason we ended up in the Championship.  Also, most agreed that Robbie should have been shown the door last season.  He may be in last chance saloon now or he may just have the cushiest job in Scottish football.  

The Old Tolbooth
39 minutes ago, frankblack said:

That's quite the claim, especially coming from someone like you. 

We've never been good against the uglies in Glasgow, not many teams have to be fair, the financial imbalance makes sure of that, however the tactics of parking the bus and putting 11 men behind the ball for an entire first half the last two times we've played Celtic through there, letting them have 83% of the ball and 26 pops at goal, and hoping we're only 2 down at half time, is at best, completely stupid, and is no tactic at all, if we had been 6 or 7 down at half time then we could have had no complaints, it really was that bad! To offer no out ball for the entire first half was shocking, and I agree with many posters who state that it was up there with the worst I've ever seen at Parkhead (before you all get your kecks in a twist, show me another worse half where we coughed up so much possession and chances?). 

To be fair, the changes he made at half time made a difference, we were still second best but at least we competed and gave them more to think about, maybe one day Robbie will realise that games in Glasgow have two halves, and actually try from the start, how novel eh? Especially when we looked pretty decent away to St Mirren, which was a pleasant surprise. 

The Old Tolbooth
8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Nope.  A bit of balance might make your rant a little more credible.

Here's a couple that I take it you must have hated...

He meant through in the weegie backyard, but then you knew that... 

5 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

We've never been good against the uglies in Glasgow, not many teams have to be fair, the financial imbalance makes sure of that, however the tactics of parking the bus and putting 11 men behind the ball for an entire first half the last two times we've played Celtic through there, letting them have 83% of the ball and 26 pops at goal, and hoping we're only 2 down at half time, is at best, completely stupid, and is no tactic at all, if we had been 6 or 7 down at half time then we could have had no complaints, it really was that bad! To offer no out ball for the entire first half was shocking, and I agree with many posters who state that it was up there with the worst I've ever seen at Parkhead (before you all get your kecks in a twist, show me another worse half where we coughed up so much possession and chances?). 

To be fair, the changes he made at half time made a difference, we were still second best but at least we competed and gave them more to think about, maybe one day Robbie will realise that games in Glasgow have two halves, and actually try from the start, how novel eh? Especially when we looked pretty decent away to St Mirren, which was a pleasant surprise. 

Your last paragraph is what’s mystifying many. Every man and his dog knew how the first half would go if we sat in and tried to contain them. 
Why not start the first like they did the second ? It really isn’t rocket science.

2 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

:rofl:

Neilson has already said that the shape wasn't right, but the idea of trying to contain them maybe wasn't.

Celtic always start of like a hurricane to try and blow teams away and if you can withstand that you have a chance to get back into the game once they punch themselves out.

Our personnel on the day had limited options to enhance our attack due to personal absence (Gnando) and illness (Ginnelly).  We need to improve on that.

As I said, Neilson realised it wasn't working and made the best changes he could with what he had available.

We need to get rid of some of the deadwood to bring in other players of the calibre of Beni if we want to do better.

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

The happy clappers seem to think people are expecting to go to Ibrox or Parkhead and play attacking football, dominating the game for 90 minutes and giving them a doing.  I don’t think anyone thinks that, most are realistic to know that they simply have better players and will dominate possession and likely create more chances.  

Normally, to get a result through there you need to carry a bit luck and your keeper probably has to have a good game.  But you need to have a game plan and have the players to execute it. That game plan cannot be to camp on your own 18 yard line and wait for the inevitable goals to come, there has to be an attacking threat when you do get the ball. 

I think we all realise we struggle with our resources against them but would like to compete a bit better and not look like Albion Rovers when we go there.  We should be able to put up a better fight than a part time League 2 side but those first half stats were part time League 2 stats - iirc 82% possession and 21 shots v 18% possession and zero shots.  You can’t dress that up any other way, that’s ****ing embarrassing.  We were playing Celtic, not Man City. 

Im waffling a bit now.

Good post, Vlad.

Appreciate the reply.

9 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Yes we were placed in the same league but our budget was not in the same league, our professional status was not in the same league...Come on, you're clutching at straws trying to sell that one. It was a shocking result. Only saving grace was that we trumped it at Brora, where we didn't just lose to semi-pros and amateurs but actually contrived to lose to a amateur part-time non-league outfit...

The difference in budget seems to matter when neilson shites himself at Parkhead but it doesn't matter when Alloa and Brora beat us.  

Hypocrisy to justify neilson's failings.  

Anyone trying to find reasons to play down those cup results last session doesn't care as much for the team as much as they do individuals.  

How the **** can anyone say the Alloa loss wasn't that bad? 

1 hour ago, Mars plastic said:

The apologists are up with the larks this morning. 

But not a single post during the game.  I think they do this now because it's become a hobby.

When did football clubs start behaving like political parties?  

We are fans of the club and all we want is honest communication from the club. 

It like some on here are wearing rosettes.  

The Old Tolbooth
13 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

The happy clappers seem to think people are expecting to go to Ibrox or Parkhead and play attacking football, dominating the game for 90 minutes and giving them a doing.  I don’t think anyone thinks that, most are realistic to know that they simply have better players and will dominate possession and likely create more chances.  

Normally, to get a result through there you need to carry a bit luck and your keeper probably has to have a good game.  But you need to have a game plan and have the players to execute it. That game plan cannot be to camp on your own 18 yard line and wait for the inevitable goals to come, there has to be an attacking threat when you do get the ball. 

I think we all realise we struggle with our resources against them but would like to compete a bit better and not look like Albion Rovers when we go there.  We should be able to put up a better fight than a part time League 2 side but those first half stats were part time League 2 stats - iirc 82% possession and 21 shots v 18% possession and zero shots.  You can’t dress that up any other way, that’s ****ing embarrassing.  We were playing Celtic, not Man City. 

That's exactly it mate, no one is expecting to go there and dominate, but at least have some sort of game plan, because that first have had absolutely zero game plan whatsoever, and I hate myself for agreeing with Michael Stewart, but he was bang on, I mean a little Danish club with a fraction of the resources that Celtic have came up with a game plan and knocked them out, it's not impossible to do. 

Fozzyonthefence
10 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

That's exactly it mate, no one is expecting to go there and dominate, but at least have some sort of game plan, because that first have had absolutely zero game plan whatsoever, and I hate myself for agreeing with Michael Stewart, but he was bang on, I mean a little Danish club with a fraction of the resources that Celtic have came up with a game plan and knocked them out, it's not impossible to do. 

Celtic are frequently losing to teams in Europe on much smaller budgets than them although I’d imagine these budgets are still a fair bit higher than ours. 

There’s a group of posters on here that keep telling us that we can’t compete with the OF because of budget and it’s not unreasonable to get a doing through there.  But that same group of posters were telling us last season that we can’t expect to win every game in the Championship just because we have a far superior budget.  They lose credibility and can’t have it both ways. 

56 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Tried to clean up Levein’s shit but couldn’t do it.   Would have been far better appointing him in the summer instead of the winter of a relegation battle and imposing a game plan on a squad of players that weren’t suited to it.  Did appear to be a better cup manager than Neilson in his short spell but failed in the job he was brought in to do, although not as bad as Levein. 

Yip agree, If Stendel was appointed in the summer and given all the backing that Neilson has been ie all his back room staff appointed right away, all the new recruitment team and properly backed in the transfer market I’m sure we would have been in the same position with possibly better cup run last year. The job he came into was nothing short of a shambles. Sorry for going over old ground. 

32 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

The difference in budget seems to matter when neilson shites himself at Parkhead but it doesn't matter when Alloa and Brora beat us.  

Hypocrisy to justify neilson's failings.  

Anyone trying to find reasons to play down those cup results last session doesn't care as much for the team as much as they do individuals.  

How the **** can anyone say the Alloa loss wasn't that bad? 

The difference in budget does work both ways over the long term. Even we occasionally win at Celtic Park and Ibrox, and their fans moan like hell as they think it shouldn’t have happened. 

The Old Tolbooth
8 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Celtic are frequently losing to teams in Europe on much smaller budgets than them although I’d imagine these budgets are still a fair bit higher than ours. 

There’s a group of posters on here that keep telling us that we can’t compete with the OF because of budget and it’s not unreasonable to get a doing through there.  But that same group of posters were telling us last season that we can’t expect to win every game in the Championship just because we have a far superior budget.  They lose credibility and can’t have it both ways. 

Spot on, for the record here's the budget for Midtyjlland, it's larger than ours but not massively, the Celtic budget is huge in comparison 

https://salarysport.com/football/danish-superliga/football-club-midtjylland/

42 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The difference in budget does work both ways over the long term. Even we occasionally win at Celtic Park and Ibrox, and their fans moan like hell as they think it shouldn’t have happened. 

The old firm are the biggest hypocrites when it comes to this.  Listen to them co.e out with the budget difference when they get skelped in Europe. 

Nothing excuses the Alloa result.  

Just now, Auldbenches said:

The old firm are the biggest hypocrites when it comes to this.  Listen to them co.e out with the budget difference when they get skelped in Europe. 

Nothing excuses the Alloa result.  

I still think losing at home to Forfar and Montrose in cups were worse results. Losing away to a team in your own league isn’t particularly uncommon. 

Brora was a far different kettle of fish. 

Just now, davemclaren said:

I still think losing at home to Forfar and Montrose in cups were worse results. Losing away to a team in your own league isn’t particularly uncommon. 

I disagree due to the difference in resources last season.   

No excuses for losing that with the players we had.  

I don't think you can separate both cup loses from last season. 

Both results were pathetic, unless the Alloa result is acceptable. 

I disagree due to the difference in resources last season.   

No excuses for losing that with the players we had.  

I don't think you can separate both cup loses from last season. 

Both results were pathetic, unless the Alloa result is acceptable. 

So it’s a binary choice of pathetic or acceptable? 😄

It was certainly very poor but in no way a sacking offence on its own. 

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The respective positions this season are more accurate than last season - we’re 2 leagues above Alloa.  But yes, losing at home to Forfar and Montrose were worse.  Alloa was still a shocker but Brora was hopefully on a level we’ll never see again. 

3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

The respective positions this season are more accurate than last season - we’re 2 leagues above Alloa.  But yes, losing at home to Forfar and Montrose were worse.  Alloa was still a shocker but Brora was hopefully on a level we’ll never see again. 

I think we kid ourselves on with this status stuff. Last season we were a championship team, though the biggest fish in that pond. 

Brora was our worst result since the Boer war afaik. 

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Alloa wasn’t.  Brora then the next game against QOTS were.  You could argue the failure to react against QOTS was as worrying as the Brora result.  No Hearts manager should have survived that week. 

1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Alloa wasn’t.  Brora then the next game against QOTS were.  You could argue the failure to react against QOTS was as worrying as the Brora result.  No Hearts manager should have survived that week. 

The QOTS match was a bigger worry to me as we got no reaction, apart from another abject performance. 

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

I think we kid ourselves on with this status stuff. Last season we were a championship team, though the biggest fish in that pond. 

Brora was our worst result snce the Boer war afaik. 

We got voted into that league Dave, not on merit.  We may well have done it on merit in the remaining 8 games but we’ll never know.   

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Binary is the only way to be because of what we've endured over the last few seasons...

We need to change the mindset and think these results are unacceptable.  That and saying that losing in Glasgow is just what happens.  

It's a shite attitude that needs to change.  

Did alloa not beat us twice last year?  

Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

We got voted into that league Dave, not on merit.  We may well have done it on merit in the remaining 8 games but we’ll never know.   

It was a distinct possibility. We were certainly rubbish. 

Binary is the only way to be because of what we've endured over the last few seasons...

We need to change the mindset and think these results are unacceptable.  That and saying that losing in Glasgow is just what happens.  

It's a shite attitude that needs to change.  

Did alloa not beat us twice last year?  

Not that I’m aware of. 

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Brora was our worst result since the Boer war afaik. 

A championship team?  It's mostly that team we are going into the new season with.  

A championship team?  It's mostly that team we are going into the new season with.  

I’m sure most of them played in the championship last season. 

Fozzyonthefence

The QOTS match was a bigger worry to me as we got no reaction, apart from another abject performance. 

Yes, that’s the point I’m making.  If there was any benefit of the doubt after the Brora game there should have been none after going 2-0 down at home in the first 20 minutes and going on to lose in the very next game.  It worries me that the people making the decisions at the club can’t see the obvious and it happened with Levein as well.  To be fair, I’d have liked to seen a load of the players sacked too, it’s not all on the manager. 

Not that I’m aware of. 

I thought they got a win on the leagu against us which was their first ever win over us.  

I'm sure someone on here claimed the cup game as a draw...

I’m sure most of them played in the championship last season. 

So it was a premiership team that lost to them? 

• JKBMod 6 locked this topic