Neilson's failings during season 2021/2

lost in space

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

The first goal was laughable. The one player I didn't expect to find himself in space was Eduard. 

I think 3 at the back causes problems with marking when there's only 1 striker. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frankblack

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• Fozzyonthefence

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

I think 3 at the back causes problems with marking when there's only 1 striker. 

It definitely can do. Souttar has been stepping up and starting forward moves fairly well with Halkett staying back and Kingsley seems to know when to get forward. We've looked much better with three at the back.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Self belief or acknowledgment that celtic are the better team? 

532 is OK if your midfielders hold their position and your out ball ( Boycey and GMS hold the ball up and make runs. 

Haring also made a big difference at Tynecastle when he came on so I understand him starting.

We dropped too deep tho and some players, GMS in particular went missing. 

3 at the back is an issue when the other team has 1 striker as well imo.

The reality is celtic ( and rangers) will batter a lot of teams this year as they are simply a level above the others. 

A lack of belief in the way of playing you are trying to install. The 3-4-3.

5-3-2 we’ve learned nothing, absolutely nothing, about whether our new way of playing is any good or not. We do not know if the new way of playing can get us wins in Glasgow. we’ve learned nothing. All we’ve said is, we don’t believe it can. 

“we dropped too deep” is that a piss take genuinely mate? What’s the balance of the 5-3-2? All it does is, minute 1 of the game, Celtic send an extra man forward to Your half to camp there permanently. Because their back 4 only has 1-2 to worry about. There is ZERO counter attacking threat. 

“they went missing” yes of course they went missing. Because there were no team mates able to get close to them due to the inherently deep lying formation. 

I hate 5-3-2 / 3-5-2 literally EVERY time we play it against the old firm we have no chance. Unless, as I’ve said, unless if you’ve got 3 really really good defensive Center backs. Which we do not have. So why play a formation where quality defending is so central to it? When you don’t have quality defenders? You’ve got to give Celtic that extra man in their half to worry about. 

Governor Tarkin
19 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Do you cry a wee bit Everytime Hearts win under the Bobmeister? 

I'm a PHM, tosh. I leave the crying to folks like you when anyone dare question your latest muse. 

Wanted Hibs to win the cup, backed Craig 'the spunker of money and ruiner of Hearts' Levein to the hilt. 🤷‍♂️

Your track record speaks for itself, tosh

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Based on evidence so far Celtic will score for fun this season if they avoid injuries. 
First half yesterday was excellent.  If they play like that in a couple of weeks time Gerrard will be getting his coat. 

Tbh, I think Rangers are decent as well. 

It's all shite. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm a PHM, tosh. I leave the crying to folks like you when anyone dare question your latest muse. 

Wanted Hibs to win the cup, backed Craig 'the spunker of money and ruiner of Hearts' Levein to the hilt. 🤷‍♂️

Your track record speaks for itself, tosh

A self proclaimed PHM who wants Hearts papped so he can ram it up others. 

You're Trying way too hard to be edgey and relevant.

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

5-3-2 we’ve learned nothing, absolutely nothing, about whether our new way of playing is any good or not. We do not know if the new way of playing can get us wins in Glasgow. we’ve learned nothing. All we’ve said is, we don’t believe it can. 

“we dropped too deep” is that a piss take genuinely mate? What’s the balance of the 5-3-2? All it does is, minute 1 of the game, Celtic send an extra man forward to Your half to camp there permanently. Because their back 4 only has 1-2 to worry about. There is ZERO counter attacking threat. 

“they went missing” yes of course they went missing. Because there were no team mates able to get close to them due to the inherently deep lying formation. 

I hate 5-3-2 / 3-5-2 literally EVERY time we play it against the old firm we have no chance. Unless, as I’ve said, unless if you’ve got 3 really really good defensive Center backs. Which we do not have. So why play a formation where quality defending is so central to it? When you don’t have quality defenders? You’ve got to give Celtic that extra man in their half to worry about. 

Fair, I don't like the 352 either. 

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It definitely can do. Souttar has been stepping up and starting forward moves fairly well with Halkett staying back and Kingsley seems to know when to get forward. We've looked much better with three at the back.

Agreed, Ironically when not defending 3 at the back is better as 1 of them can carry the ball forward. 

But when on the back foot and defending it can cause confusion and uncertainty when v 1 striker. 

18 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

We played well enough against Inverness and should have had the second goal. Some days they just don't go in.

Suppose so but should have been in the good side of the draw.

Anyhoo, all water under the bridge. Sheep game should be a good one !

24 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Based on evidence so far Celtic will score for fun this season if they avoid injuries. 
First half yesterday was excellent.  If they play like that in a couple of weeks time Gerrard will be getting his coat. 

Jesus Christ. The Celtic love in chat is awful. 

5 minutes ago, Boab said:

Suppose so but should have been in the good side of the draw.

Anyhoo, all water under the bridge. Sheep game should be a good one !

It is a big game. They'll be smarting after that cock up yesterday, tough game on Thursday as well.

19 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Good post.  Totally agree. 

1 hour ago, KyleLafferty said:

So you press them from the off, they play round you, then what do you do? How do you stop them once they’ve passed your press? 

It’s Celtic we’re talking about not Man City or Barcelona. How have some average European teams went to Parkhead and dealt with them ? Nobody thinks we should go there and win every time but ffs go with a better plan than first half yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It is a big game. They'll be smarting after that cock up yesterday, tough game on Thursday as well.

Good. They need a pummelling !

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Des Lynam said:

Not sure it’s a love in. We certainly played them at the right time in the league. They have since clicked into gear on the scoring front if still leaky at the back. If they keep edouard plus this Japanese fella, that’s pretty ominous for a possible 90-100 point season to be honest. They both look better individual players than Morelos to me. And Rangers under more pressure than Celtic to sell now. A bit of over exuberance over the title from Rangers fans has deluded them into thinking they are the better squad. They aren’t, they just had the better manager last season. Still find it comedy club that Celtic stuck with Lennon even with their entire fan base screaming “ffs Naw!!” 

Well I see this thread is bustling after our first defeat of the season. Robbie haters falling over themselves to pretend it’s the manner of the defeat rather than admitting they finally have their moment to vent. 

On the game I think in theory at parkhead the idea of containing Celtic while hitting them on the counter his a good one. The problem we had yesterday was lack of personnel either through illness/injury or squad depth. 2 or 3 players in before the window closes will hopefully solve that. 3-2 loss there isn’t a shocker and not really worthy of the reaction on here but as I said people now have their reason to vent. 1st half was brutal, players need to have just as much responsibility for that as RN. 2nd half was a huge improvement and Gino made a difference but we still looked fragile. As said I’m not going to lose my mind over a 3-2 loss there but the Aberdeen game will be a real test of where we are. We really need to put a marker down as games at ibrox or parkhead really shouldn’t be where we are judged. 

Ex member of the SaS

It was clear yesterday that by crowding the box we didn't have an out, that allowed them to keep two players forward to harass the defense. Then when we had the ball we tried to play out from the back and those two players were onto the ball player leaving him little or no option. Yesterday's first half was a master class in how to lose to the bigot twins.

Governor Tarkin
23 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

A self proclaimed PHM who wants Hearts papped so he can ram it up others. 

You're Trying way too hard to be edgey and relevant.

I'm edgy and relevant without trying, tosh. You've either got it or you haven't, champ. :)

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm edgy and relevant without trying, tosh. You've either got it or you haven't, champ. :)

😂

PHM don’t need to try, Gov, spot on !

KyleLafferty
26 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

It’s Celtic we’re talking about not Man City or Barcelona. How have some average European teams went to Parkhead and dealt with them ? Nobody thinks we should go there and win every time but ffs go with a better plan than first half yesterday. 

Cause those ‘average European teams’ still function with a bigger budget and Better players then us 😂

KyleLafferty
1 hour ago, Beni said:

Has anyone said that? 

Why not just quote the post(s) you are referring to, so everyone knows what you're talking about.

Although it's certainly easy to beat an argument you've just made up.

Let me give you an example.

I love this stuff about Robbie Neilson being the best football manager in history, fantasy world stuff.

Seen countless times in this thread and others saying we should go after their defence, attack from the start, why aren’t we pressing higher up. Celtic are a good side with better players than us, people are just looking for a stick to beat Robbie with cause they’ve had feck all to say for weeks. And btw I wanted him out, but I can’t argue with how we’ve started the season, or the players we have signed.

29 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Well I see this thread is bustling after our first defeat of the season. Robbie haters falling over themselves to pretend it’s the manner of the defeat rather than admitting they finally have their moment to vent. 

On the game I think in theory at parkhead the idea of containing Celtic while hitting them on the counter his a good one. The problem we had yesterday was lack of personnel either through illness/injury or squad depth. 2 or 3 players in before the window closes will hopefully solve that. 3-2 loss there isn’t a shocker and not really worthy of the reaction on here but as I said people now have their reason to vent. 1st half was brutal, players need to have just as much responsibility for that as RN. 2nd half was a huge improvement and Gino made a difference but we still looked fragile. As said I’m not going to lose my mind over a 3-2 loss there but the Aberdeen game will be a real test of where we are. We really need to put a marker down as games at ibrox or parkhead really shouldn’t be where we are judged. 

“We changed it at half time and that allowed us to get more positivity in the team Neilson said. I thought in the second half we were much better. It was a change of shape”

I would suggest the frustration, is probably more to do with the manner of the defeat, as if we had the shape that we changed into, in the 2nd half, but in the 1st half, we might have not left ourselves with a mountain to climb 

I would also suggest the quote from Neilson references that changing the shape got us back into the match. Unfortunately it was way too late by that point, and considering it was a cup tie, we should have tried to at least start on the front foot 

21 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Seen countless times in this thread and others saying we should go after their defence, attack from the start, why aren’t we pressing higher up. Celtic are a good side with better players than us, people are just looking for a stick to beat Robbie with cause they’ve had feck all to say for weeks. And btw I wanted him out, but I can’t argue with how we’ve started the season, or the players we have signed.

:spoton:

Sub4TiddlerMurray
55 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Whew! A voice of reason on JKB (alongside Smith's Right Boot TBF).

I have avoided commenting on the "Boab" hatefest because these posters just suck any joy out of life. They also provide endless fodder for the weegie press to knock our club.

Up until Celtic scored, our defending IMO had been brilliant. But, the tactical set-up meant that, despite their heroics, we were always more likely to concede. That was a tactical error by RN that was cruelly exposed but, like you say, he's not the first manager to have tried that tactic.

Players have to take a share of responsibility. For example, from goal kicks, you can tell immediately from Gordon's body language that he doesn't have confidence in either himself or his back line to play out from the back, and, so, he pumps it upfield when we are already sitting deep, straight back to the opposition. Footballers come alive when they can smell fear and that encouraged Celtic. Also, GMS didn't turn up at all yesterday and, instead of holding on to the ball to let us move up, he gifted possession straight to Celtic. Boyce also took ages to find his touch and was similarly guilty in the early stages.

That said, RN has to shoulder most of the responsibility for getting the tactics so wrong in the first half. That doesn't mean he deserves to be slaughtered by the absolutes prunes who can wait to bump this particularly nasty little thread. 

Edited by Sub4TiddlerMurray

So, what we’re saying is Hearts couldn’t have played better to a man even in defeat?

Maybe people waiting to pounce on Neilson have taken their chance in the last 18 hours but football will always be scrutinised, performances will.  

You’ve got a mix on here who just want to quickly skip over things(which is precarious in football if you don’t recognise failings) and others who are just out to savage.  

Whether it’s a loss v Celtic or a loss v Hamilton, the manager should have the nous to recognise where he and the players went wrong. You don’t improve accepting poor performances. 

Dangerous game to play and something we never learned from under Levein. 

38 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

There's a world of difference between all out attack and constantly defending on your own 18 yard line with most of the team behind the ball. I think posters want a move away from the latter which whether by design or not was the reality of the first half yesterday.

When we won the ball in the first half launching it forward wasn't working because it just came straight back, why wait 45 minutes to make a change when it was obvious for all to see it was a question of when not if Celtic would score?

The reality is that a defeat at Parkhead is the most likely outcome, but Celtic's total domination of the first half isn't an inevitability, which is why it was disappointing and Neilson is getting flak for it.

Edited by Beni

Just now, Beni said:

There's a world of difference between all out attack and constantly defending on your own 18 yard line with most of the team behind the ball. I think posters want a move away from the latter which whether by design or not was the reality of the first half yesterday.

When we won the ball in the first half launching it forward wasn't working because it just came straight back, why wait 45 minutes to make a change when it was obvious for all to see it was it was a question of when not if Celtic would score?

The reality is that a defeat at Parkhead is the most likely outcome, but Celtic's total domination of the first half isn't an inevitability, which is why it was disappointing and Neilson is getting flak for it.

Couldn't agree more. I fully support our players taking the knee prior to kick off but, like most on here, I'd rather they got off them once play starts.

It's all a matter of belief, confidence and attitude.

All seems remarkably similar to last year's cup final. 

Didn't turn up first half, changed things second half. 

What's uppermost in the minds of management, containing Celtic or winning the game? 

Until the focus is 100% on winning then the pattern repeats.

Robbie needs courage and bravery, and that runs right throughout the club.

Both last 2 cup finals were there for the winning, until the mentality changes then same old.

The club as a whole needs help in this department, it's blatantly obvious!

4 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

So, what we’re saying is Hearts couldn’t have played better to a man even in defeat?

Maybe people waiting to pounce on Neilson have taken their chance in the last 18 hours but football will always be scrutinised, performances will.  

You’ve got a mix on here who just want to quickly skip over things(which is precarious in football if you don’t recognise failings) and others who are just out to savage.  

Whether it’s a loss v Celtic or a loss v Hamilton, the manager should have the nous to recognise where he and the players went wrong. You don’t improve accepting poor performances. 

Dangerous game to play and something we never learned from under Levein. 

I wouldn't see that as necessarily true.

I think people such as myself got pissed off at the neurotic ranting from those champing at the bit to see Neilson go regardless of results.

The reality is somewhere inbetween, and I think we are still two or three players short for going to Ibrox and Parkhead with confidence of getting something.  Hopefully this can be addressed urgently before the window shuts as I assume increasing season ticket sales will provide additional revenue for strengthening the team.

Neilson was extraordinarily lucky to survive the Brora defeat.  

He did, so while I wasn't happy at the time I'm not going to be calling for his head at every defeat, especially as we've clearly made some reasonable progress.  Some people will and I get why even if I don't agree with them.

What is absolutely fair is that he takes criticism for yesterday's tactics, which were abject.  In fact they were absolutely tailored to suit this Celtic team.

It does raise concerns over his caution in cup games, which he will need to change or we'll never get to the latter stages

1 minute ago, Diego10 said:

Neilson was extraordinarily lucky to survive the Brora defeat.  

He did, so while I wasn't happy at the time I'm not going to be calling for his head at every defeat, especially as we've clearly made some reasonable progress.  Some people will and I get why even if I don't agree with them.

What is absolutely fair is that he takes criticism for yesterday's tactics, which were abject.  In fact they were absolutely tailored to suit this Celtic team.

It does raise concerns over his caution in cup games, which he will need to change or we'll never get to the latter stages

He admitted mistakes first half which he corrected.

I think if he had a fully fit Ginnelly he would have started him possibly with Gnando to try and give us more of an out ball.

We don't have enough options, and GMS has a tendency to disappear in big games.

14 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Whew! A voice of reason on JKB (alongside Smith's Right Boot TBF).

I have avoided commenting on the "Boab" hatefest because these posters just suck any joy out of life. They also provide endless fodder for the weegie press to knock our club.

Up until Celtic scored, our defending IMO had been brilliant. But, the tactical set-up meant that, despite their heroics, we were always more likely to concede. That was a tactical error by RN that was cruelly exposed but, like you say, he's not the first manager to have tried that tactic.

Players have to take a share of responsibility. For example, from goal kicks, you can tell immediately from Gordon's body language that he doesn't have confidence in either himself or his back line to play out from the back, and, so, he pumps it upfield when we are already sitting deep, straight back to the opposition. Footballers come alive when they can smell fear and that encouraged Celtic. Also, GMS didn't turn up at all yesterday and, instead of holding on to the ball to let us move up, he gifted possession straight to Celtic. Boyce also took ages to find his touch and was similarly guilty in the early stages.

That said, RN has to shoulder most of the responsibility for getting the tactics so wrong in the first half. That doesn't mean he deserves to be slaughtered by the absolutes prunes who can wait to bump this particularly nasty little thread. 

Fair.

I mentioned goal kicks further up as it typifies the difference in attitudes and how we approach the game. Celtic always have two men at the edge of our box at a goal kick. At Tynie, it took until 70 minutes to realise this - done it ourselves - and we won the game and looked better for it.

It's always going to be tough in Glasgow, but, we at least have to show up and try to press and win the ball... this sitting back is only going to benefit one team. The stats from Saturday are a disgrace... we're better than that!

Just now, frankblack said:

I think if he had a fully fit Ginnelly he would have started him possibly with Gnando to try and give us more of an out ball.

There were loads of options that didn't need a 5 4 1.   He could have gone with 4 at the back.  He could have played Henderson wide to use his pace.  He could have sacrificed one of the 3 defensive midfielders to play McEneff to get forward to support.

Playing a midfield with no forward momentum and keeping your wingback at home was far too negative, and 100% predictable even when the team lines were announced

13 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Losing to either of them doesn't quantify as failure in my book. 

:laugh:

Such low expeditions… I guess we never failed to win the cup back in December?

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Des Lynam said:

Strangely enough it’s usually by people who call others Hibs fans for criticising Neilson 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️
Decent teams will show them up defensively and close down their attack by pushing them back. 

5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

This is also true, the strength of your bench is a good barometer of where you are as a team. 2-3 more signings required (if they're of the quality of Beni - superb!) I'm liking the look of our back room staff and what they're doing... and I think we still need another couple of windows to get where we SHOULD be. But we need to be better than that first half yesterday, nowhere near good enough.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Not sure it’s a love in. We certainly played them at the right time in the league. They have since clicked into gear on the scoring front if still leaky at the back. If they keep edouard plus this Japanese fella, that’s pretty ominous for a possible 90-100 point season to be honest. They both look better individual players than Morelos to me. And Rangers under more pressure than Celtic to sell now. A bit of over exuberance over the title from Rangers fans has deluded them into thinking they are the better squad. They aren’t, they just had the better manager last season. Still find it comedy club that Celtic stuck with Lennon even with their entire fan base screaming “ffs Naw!!” 

Can’t stand Morelos, or those two as they’re all diving *******s for a start. But in an away game in December when the tackles are flying in Morelos will give Rangers more than these two show ponies. 

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Can’t stand Morelos, or those two as they’re all diving *******s for a start. But in an away game in December when the tackles are flying in Morelos will give Rangers more than these two show ponies. 

I think Morelos will go anyway. It will be interesting to see who they go for to replace those goals. I think they might look at Calum Paterson though they may cast the net further afield. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I think Morelos will go anyway. It will be interesting to see who they go for to replace those goals. I think they might look at Calum Paterson though they may cast the net further afield. 

I think they overvalue him but you never know, they’ve not started well but the hate fest in two weeks will give a good insight. 

5 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Agree.  Most of us know you aren’t going to go to Parkhead and dominate or even win all the time, but at least portray you believe you can. There’s a mentality issue imo.

We’ve had a horrendous record through there for a decade or so now but there was a wee spell prior to that in the noughties , home and away, where we notched the odd win more regular than in comparison to other periods. 

Like us, Celtic expect to win at home against most teams and with their resources it should happen. But it shouldn’t stop us believing we can be the best we can or win through there more often. Too many people submit or make excuses.  What’s happened to punching above your weight?  Hearts have lost those traits over the last few years. Our better managers got scudded through in Glasgow but they got the odd win more regular, or at least had their team being positive , because they had the desire to push Hearts over the time they were in charge. 

They never gave up. 

I'm bored, so thought I would check out the stats. In the league against Celtic, we managed two more wins in the noughties than we did in the period between 2010-11 and 2019-20. We won four times at home and twice away compared to four wins at home and no wins away. We fell into administration , played essentially a youth team, got relegated twice in the latter period which may help account for the two less positive results. I'm not trying to suggest going to Celtic Park and capitulating is somehow acceptable, its definitely not.  I just think we look back at the past with maroon tinted spectacles, believing in the halcyon days which have gone before. Nostalgia can play tricks on the mind, I am convinced that the 90's at Celtic park were better than the nougthies. I shall now put my mind at rest by checking if I am right 😀

Sub4TiddlerMurray
1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Fair.

I mentioned goal kicks further up as it typifies the difference in attitudes and how we approach the game. Celtic always have two men at the edge of our box at a goal kick. At Tynie, it took until 70 minutes to realise this - done it ourselves - and we won the game and looked better for it.

It's always going to be tough in Glasgow, but, we at least have to show up and try to press and win the ball... this sitting back is only going to benefit one team. The stats from Saturday are a disgrace... we're better than that!

Spot on 👍

22 minutes ago, jambo_74 said:

I'm bored, so thought I would check out the stats. In the league against Celtic, we managed two more wins in the noughties than we did in the period between 2010-11 and 2019-20. We won four times at home and twice away compared to four wins at home and no wins away. We fell into administration , played essentially a youth team, got relegated twice in the latter period which may help account for the two less positive results. I'm not trying to suggest going to Celtic Park and capitulating is somehow acceptable, its definitely not.  I just think we look back at the past with maroon tinted spectacles, believing in the halcyon days which have gone before. Nostalgia can play tricks on the mind, I am convinced that the 90's at Celtic park were better than the nougthies. I shall now put my mind at rest by checking if I am right 😀

Pre-Taylor report we probably gave a better account of ourselves, not least because they were on the slide getting 20k crowds.

Since the new stands went up we have not had many decent results through there as the opposition.

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

You think they might look at Paterson as a replacement for Morelos?  Not sure you’re being serious?!  An emergency centre forward for one who will bring them an 8 figure transfer fee?  Not a chance!

Just now, frankblack said:

Pre-Taylor report we probably gave a better account of ourselves, not least because they were on the slide getting 20k crowds.

Since the new stands went up we have not had many decent results through there as the opposition.

Since the inception of the SPL in the mid seventies, the nineties have proven to be our best decade in the league versus Celtic. We managed ten wins across the decade. The eighties on the other hand proved less fruitful. We managed to emulate the 2010/11 to 2019/20 seasons, amassing a paltry four wins. Some interesting comparisons though in those periods. We were in the lower league twice, we transitioned towards utilising more youth and we were under new ownership.

3 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

Not a love-in at all. Cant stand them. But wiling enough to say what I saw my own eyes - they were excellent first half and a huge step up from what I saw from them last season, or even two weeks ago. Rangers on the other hand seem to be regressing and may have to ship players out for financial reasons. 

2 hours ago, davieholt said:

Couldn't agree more. I fully support our players taking the knee prior to kick off but, like most on here, I'd rather they got off them once play starts.

Don’t think they did take the knee though so your reason for defeat doesn’t stand😂

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, jambo_74 said:

Since the inception of the SPL in the mid seventies, the nineties have proven to be our best decade in the league versus Celtic. We managed ten wins across the decade. The eighties on the other hand proved less fruitful. We managed to emulate the 2010/11 to 2019/20 seasons, amassing a paltry four wins. Some interesting comparisons though in those periods. We were in the lower league twice, we transitioned towards utilising more youth and we were under new ownership.

Perhaps not surprising about the 90s being more successful against Celtic - they were Tam Kite for most of that decade as they struggled to even finish top 2 as Rangers went on to 9 in a row.  Iirc Hearts, Aberdeen and Motherwell all finished 2nd during that period.  But not Hibs of course, the flairmeisters continued to be shite. 

We have gone to Celtic Park with an increasingly negative gameplan as the years have gone on. 

Are managers more worried about keeping their jobs or the damage a heavy defeat does for the rest of the season if they took a real humping through there? 

When there is such a huge gap in the financial clout between the teams the team spending most will win most of the time regardless of what gameplan you go with.

A_A wehatethehibs
21 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

You think they might look at Paterson as a replacement for Morelos?  Not sure you’re being serious?!  An emergency centre forward for one who will bring them an 8 figure transfer fee?  Not a chance!

Err, more, a premier league / Scottish international, as a cheaper replacement to plug the financial hole. They’ll sell Morelos for that amount m but they’re not going to buy someone for that, are they. 

Any Hearts fan knows Paterson would score 20 up front in the Scottish Premiership no problem. Only question would be is, do Rangers know that. And they would get him for a million leaving them 10 in the bank. 

Only wish Hearts had that million to spend. Probably 750k buys him from Wednesday they paid 500k and have a bit of a cash hole now themselves iirc 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

• JKBMod 6 locked this topic